Sign in to follow this  
SilverMoogle

Farming Overhaul ideas

If you need some ideas, Salem has a interesting farming mechanics where soil matters, what you fertilizer you use, to crop rotation to increase soil QL of 1-4 bar value.

• Like 1

I would only +1 this idea if it was an addition to farming and NOT a replacement.

Irigation fields that increase ql? Sure I'd opt in on that.

Crop rotation that increase yield? I'm in.

Fertilizers ? Why not.

As long as these are merely additions and not replacements to the current system, I'm all down for em. But I do love the current system , based on sow, tend, harvest. That's it.

If they become a "must-have" for farming, then I do wonder how many new people will simply quit due to seeing the complex chain of things they need for something as simple as growing a corn stalk. Wurm has enough entry barriers as it is.

15 minutes ago, elentari said:

I would only +1 this idea if it was an addition to farming and NOT a replacement.

Irigation fields that increase ql? Sure I'd opt in on that.

Crop rotation that increase yield? I'm in.

Fertilizers ? Why not.

As long as these are merely additions and not replacements to the current system, I'm all down for em. But I do love the current system , based on sow, tend, harvest. That's it.

If they become a "must-have" for farming, then I do wonder how many new people will simply quit due to seeing the complex chain of things they need for something as simple as growing a corn stalk. Wurm has enough entry barriers as it is.

This. ^
Much better said than I did in my earlier comment. 

I'd be all for farming having more depth to it for the sake of those that want a more rewarding experience.  I'm not for "nerfing" it or making it more complicated just for the sake of making it more work.  Adding depth could be a way for players to earn farming experience in a more enjoyable and satisfying way while tending a more reasonable garden sized farming plot rather then having to spam a multiple thousand tile farm.

Edited by Thalius