Sign in to follow this  
nekoexmachina

What are the subtle bugs you've learned to live with over the years?

I think that small bugs are the most important ones from at least one perspective: game's reputation.

If small bugs plague everyone, and seem easy enough to fix, it puts a negative thought into the head of the player.

Example would be this one:

I'm trilingual and talk to different people in different languages. For years, I have been loosing messages every now and then cause I've typed too long of a sentence. It seemed insignificant, because there are bigger fish to fry. Right now, this kind of thing would be in my opinion very important for an average steam player.

Please, tell and report all the silly small bugs you've deemed are unimportant to report.

Embark disembark on different floors
Dragging up and down a bsb/fsb/crate through multiple floors
See through mine entrance walls
Static animals/players making it easier to hunt/pvp
Memory leaks galore
Cpu usage galore(run 2 clients same area and sometimes 1 will just randomly sit at 8gb of usage and a entire core of cpu while the other sits at its usual 2gb >.>)
Cave bugs(not the creatures)
Crafting window randomly breaking or being misaligned needing a restart due to no ability to scale/doesnt reset when closed and opened
Randomly getting stuck in walls/floors/trees/boats/pretty much anything with a collision(turn off tree collision again please)
Darwin being allowed into global chat is a bug
Sound effects upon login can sometimes sound like a jet engine for ages
Sounds sometimes being really loud for no reason what so ever
Shadows being funky and disappearing depending on which way you look
Lack of enki random encounters
Random reconnects for any number of reasons(while embarking or disembarking or going through caves or just randomly while standing still)

The list goes on with some more exploitative ones some which have been fixed after years of use and some that arent a great example of one that was fixed was sacrifice being higher priority then other actions the patch notes said it was fighting related but there was a lot more to it then just that that could be done with that that i wont go into detail with really
One last one is the boat bug where depending on how you embark/disembark during a server crossing it lets you get max speed on a boat until you get off, this either happens at random or intentional and in pve is a nice surprise to a quick trip home but has been used in pvp in the past to wipe groups of multiple kingdoms

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wipeout said:

a lot more to it then just that that could be done with that that i wont go into detail with really

disembarking a horse on one floor, and it appears on another floor

• Like 1

No I'm not keeping a list - just off the top of my head:

• Inconsistent behaviors - such as some menu items don't appear unless close enough (e.g. embark cart), but while others do (e.g. "Drink") and then fail with "you are too far away to do that" messages.
  • Weird/uninformative error messages like "You are not allowed to do that" when trying to take an item from a crate when not close enough to the crate.  (I wonder how many players spent too much time looking for a cart permissions problem because of this one.)
  • Not getting the disembark option on a floor tile inside a house (inside a mine?).
  • Mob facing person not targeted (e.g. facing me instead of guard).
  • Combat messages saying I'm being targeted/attacked by mob when I'm not (e.g. when guard has aggro).
  • Players in cart display to others as looking in a different direction than they are actually looking.  (just passengers?)
  • Keybinds not working in various places (e.g. mine doors).
  • Still not being able to quick bind things we should be able to.
  • Boat passengers often see their screen "stuck" (not moving) after crossing servers, though others still see them moving with the boat.
  • Showing ejected from boat after crossing server.  Sometimes actually, sometimes not actually.
  • Climb mode toggle not working when server a bit laggy.
  • Having to relog after you've travelled around in the world a bit (memory leak/not freed).
  • And if you want alot of bugs... bridges... still... 🙁

Not getting the disembark option on a floor tile inside a house (inside a mine?).

You can only disembark from a vehicle when inside a house by right clicking the vehicle. This is by intent, to avoid people gaining access to areas they would not other wise have access to.

Crafting recipe window needs to be expanded before it displays correctly.
BSB became unusable when dropped on bridge, because I was not "on the same bridge".  Until I destroyed the bridge and the bsb dropped to the ground.
Wagons show a bit through second story flooring.

Horses sometimes disappear into ground, or into the story beneath.
Tree roots visible sticking out of the side of a slope.

38 minutes ago, Ohana said:

You can only disembark from a vehicle when inside a house by right clicking the vehicle. This is by intent, to avoid people gaining access to areas they would not other wise have access to.

Yes I know this is how it works.  But the "bug" is that everywhere else "Disembark" on the tile you want.  Inside a house, no such disembark option, and yes you can *only* disembark by clicking on your cart (something we've "learned to live with").  But *if you do have access* (which you probably already have since you're in the house) you should get the option on the desired tile.  I'm calling out these cases of inconsistent user interface as a "bug", because it makes the game seem very quirky.  Until struggling to figure out how to get out of a cart in a house, I never noticed there was a disembark option on a cart - I had always selected the tile to disembark onto:  getting out of a boat, onto dry land; getting out of a cart onto a tile with slope where I wouldn't fall down the mountain ;)  Enter a house, and WTF - how do I get out of my cart?  Click this tile, click that tile, click that tile, nothing.  Oh, there's Disembark on cart. Oh and now I have to slow walk to my FSB/BSB with my load instead of just landing there.  Of course I could always  park my cart on my FSB/BSB and then have to deal with it in my face while trying to move items.  Really?  From the user's perspective it's a bug they've learned to live with, and I'm sure can be fixed without breaking permissions with the appropriate programming.

• Like 1