Sign in to follow this  
mysterydate

New Structures needed

I know like me longtime players are tired of building house after house and would like to have more to use their building skills on ..Building structures that would make use of building and crafting both would be a highly embraced IMO.

Things like Saw Mills for crafting wooden planks or wood beams from logs, or Grain Mills for our crops.  Could be large alliance projects even. Wind , Water powered by streams or ocean .it would require crafting and building could have parts to be repaired etc. Large grain silos would be nice to store large qty of corn, seeds other grains etc. I could see some needing a water tower , I have ran out of water from my well while working on dyes many times ..they would also at a nice feel to villages, even putting deeds name on them as an option. We could mine coal and have coal or wood powered train system that players could build from stations that would work like wagoners but could be  used by players to travel and livestock and large items to be moved. Also a lot of times players move from one deed to a new one , many complain it takes forever to move all their items with a wagon making many long trips back and forth .why not allow for wagons to be connected to make hauling a bit easier ..just a couple wagons hitched together would be useful for moving , logging and im sure other times. Contraption for making glass items would be a fun craft, windows and vases and dishes could be added like pottery skill.  And last my personal item that i think would be fun is a new skill in barbering . we have the tools for most part with scissors and dyes, a few more added items like chairs and shears and shave cream etc idk if that is ever gonna be possible but it would be a fun skill to try to add into game (Not holding my breathe for it ). Just game is getting stale with nothing new to build or do ..Please help 

• Like 5

I thought about this, almost a good idea, but part of making planks, beams is the chance for rares. Coal would be a cool addition, but then we have peat bogs already so 50/50 there whether we need coal veins or not. Trains wouldn't fit in with WURM, cause then once we break from the Medieval stance, then players will want fire-arms, muskets, cannon, etc. Most deeds anymore are coastal now or very near coastal, and shipping by sea seems to be the most used transport system. A good idea, but not for WURM due to the rarity system.

We can build guard towers that are useful in wurm.

We can build colossi which are great landmarks.

I'm gonna + 1 this, a protected sawmill  would be awesome.

https://imgur.com/a/Dyo6XyO

I'll even expand on the idea and say that if you are in the vicinity of the sawmill, your timers for sawing planks are cut in half (pun intended). This can be done with diminishing returns based on your saw skill.

For newbies timers can be +50% faster.

For every 10 points in saw , the timer bonus decreased by 10%. Ex. at 20 saw skill, you only get a 30% decrease to timers when sawing planks. This could be cool for early game for players where they can meet up at a sawmill, chat about their plans, exchange info and stuff like that. Once you get pretty handy with a saw the returns from being near a sawmill are irrelevant so you can just do stuff on deed or wherever.

Sawmill should have a few Flavour NPC's and act as a cool structure/area near a starter town that could help newbies.

I would go even as far as proposing aditional Structures that can be player built such as Stonecutting Shops, Public Smithy's and so on.

I know a lot of people will shut down these ideas just because wurm has to be "player driven" but personally I would love more flavor added to the game

Edited by elentari
  • Like 2

Hmm... The idea of having specialized buildings that require a lot of skill and materials to build and that add a different look to a deed while offering bonuses to various specialized tasks for citizens of the deed if performed on deed or even within the structure itself sounds intriguing.

I have no other input at the moment aside from saying the idea is interesting and worth giving some thought.

Even if there were no real bonuses of any kind, being able to build a sawmill or some similar specialized structure simply for the ambiance it would bring would be nice.

+1

Yep large projects for alliances to build have been asked for a long time. i think Faeran and Griphyth suggested these and several others.

There needs more community goals to build together. (windmill passively grind grains into flour / rocksalt into salt/ )

sawmill to make planks etc.

This is something always asked for.

Maybe you can add several components to a windmill. For sawing, milling or making mortar. Making them more specialized.

+1

I love the idea of stained-glass which we could add to windows, making glass items for decorations.

Granaries ❤️

For wagons, maybe not a lot attached but there's the problem of turning around corners: would the whole go straight? or be like an accordion?

We could go for some kind of auto-travel? pay wagoner to go point A to point B. Or maybe be on our wagon and pay to go to point A to point B? 1rst might be easier to implement. I would surely travel more, would be even if easier if i do lag. (Then I would go around scaring the whole of Xanadu! :P)

For mills passively making things, would be great. The timer production doesn't need to be as quick as we do. Maybe no rares produced this way for balancing things? I don't know. Using wind to produce things would be great, will have an impact other than on boats. Maybe depending on the orientation of the mill, it will be more or less quicker? If not wind, a certain amount of water consumed?

Edited by Illusion
  • Like 1

I agree. I think one of the things that has been isolating the community is lack of community interaction for large projects. Hell, why not also reward participants as incentives?

Titles, sleep bonus, some unique cloths, etc. Anything to get people interested in doing stuff together. 

What about...

If a building plan is designated, by the owner or someone with manager permissions, as a sawmill (for example):

•  The plan would need to meet certain basic requirements but details would be flexible (wall material, building size, etc.,  would all be variable. 
  • Additional Wall and Roof options become available, that fit with the Sawmill idea.
  •  Sawmill 'furniture' becomes available to build in the designated building and yard.
  •  Basic integral parts of the sawmill can be planned and built (windmill/waterwheel/gin gang, headsaw, edger, etc...).

Once complete:

•  Increases the "productivity bonus" of the settlement it's on by .5%
  •  Reduces carpentry and woodcutting timers within a certain radius by 1 second.
  •  Logs can be 'milled' (no skill gain, somewhat faster, uniformly lower ql than by hand)

Settlements would want one, they would often be different shapes, would all look like sawmills due to the necessary parts, and could be big enough projects to include many people.

Of course other buildings could be done in a similar way.

Might be too complex?  but seems like a cool idea...

JS

+1

I'm totally loving the Saw Mill and Grain Mill ideas.....I think they should be an Alliance/team build thing like obelisks etc...   and these would produce high QL items or mass production of items and that the manufacture of these items dont need to be manually operated, just load the saw mill of grain mill with the raw materials and left to manufacture. This is just an idea and I have no idea on how to implement such a mechanic and if its even feasible, but I'm liking the idea.

Additionally as an island owner I would love to see the wagoner mechanics implemented onto the water, so replacing wagons with merchant vessels and using buoys instead of waypoints / cateyes to provide directions for the merchant vessel to carry its wares across the sea from one harbour to the next.

Regards

High King of the isle of Blacktyde

Xanadu (O8)

Edited by KhalDrogo
  • Like 1