Sign in to follow this  
ChampagneDragon

Give Me A Reason To Stay

3 hours ago, Ekcin said:

They designed their policies around the milennium when AML was not a thing.

I feel like this AML thing is going a bit offtopic but for curiositie's sake, which policies do you mean exactly? The Steam Wallet wasn't introduced until several years later (beginning of the 2010s?), while you seem to be referring to the timeframe when steam was released (mid 2000s), but it was nothing/barely more than Valve's personal DRM initially. The closest thing to what you describe that I can think of off the top of my head is a lack of a refund policy for a long time (and even the one they did eventually make is ridiculous), but is money laundering via refunds even a thing?

thanks for those updates, I did not follow Valve's policies that closely (and I agree that this all gets bit off topic but is interesting 😀 ). Even after the financial crisis, money laundering over the internet was not a topic at all (I managed a couple of AML applications on the servers  of one of the big intl financial players at that time so I know what they were looking after ;) ) . And computer games came into the focus only very lately, and mainly in the press.

But whenever Valve implemented their features, be it the wallet, or their game libraries, it was and is a smart closed shop. The slashing of practically all regulations for big business in the neoliberal age made them immune against antitrust measures, like all of the big internet corporations.

Take a good long break. Pay your upkeep for six months or a year, make sure valuables are in LMCs or inventory, and leave. I'm serious.

You have seen me take years away from the game and still come back. Maybe you won't need that long, but if you're struggling to find a reason to stay, you're on the verge of burnout.

Edited by Beanbag
  • Like 5

On 2/16/2020 at 2:37 PM, ChampagneDragon said:

Please tell me why I'm wrong here. Tell me what I am not seeing? 

We'd miss you. Thats the only reason I can offer when it seems as though the target demographic has shifted so dramatically. I hope you make the right decision for you.

On 2/16/2020 at 2:37 PM, ChampagneDragon said:

Now what I see are all these changes that make Wurm "different". Not the different I fell in love with. I see catering to the new players by making failures a thing of the past. I see armor getting buffed to where you don't have to fear mobs. As much as many would disagree, I see the Wurm that I love evolving into a game that is no different than any other survival game I have played in the past. You "get good", accumulate, and then what? NEXT GAME PLEASE. And the easier they are to "get good" the shorter time for that next game to enter the picture. So all these changes being implemented to make life easier for the new players are the very thing that will kill the game. Look at H1Z1, The Forest, or any other survival type game....

On 2/16/2020 at 2:59 PM, ChampagneDragon said:

I've remained positive. Sadly I told some when all the major changes began that the next thing they would do would make things no fail/way easier to grind just to cater to the Steam crowd. i was told... nooo.. that's not the Wurm way..

Enter today...

On 2/16/2020 at 3:53 PM, Chakron said:

Waiting 50 minutes for a forge to heat up then failing 80% of your smithing actions and turning the metal you collected in 38 second mining actions into useless scraps was good for the game and built character.

On 2/17/2020 at 2:05 AM, wipeout said:

Wurm today vs wurm at start of gold 2 where 2 different beasts in terms of difficulty to do anything from plain simple survival south of the starter deed to making your own place in the mess that is the starter town to finally leaving to set out into the vast wide world that took 3-4 hours(if you didnt die) to get anywhere

To me it really does seem like the current dev team is to hang up on "we must make the game modern and make it more appealing to new players" while they go around and piss off older players with that mindset and it makes me worried for the future not just this year but a few years down the track

Wurm really has gone away from a few big updates a year that where addons to "lets add some tiny things and take away established features" lately and that just breeds anger and sadness and that will flow from the game onto the forums and you end up with topics like this where people just feel defeated and feeling like the wurm they fell in love with is going through its teenage stage and changing rapidly

Go back 5-6 years and that wurm there was a happier wurm all around the community was bigger the players where happier everywhere and people just loved and enjoyed the game but these last 3 years? its just been bleeding players after bad decision after bad decision time and time again broken lies false promises straight up favoritism for entire groups has killed off entire kingdoms on chaos and epic alike unfair treatment on support cases has killed off alliances on freedom
All the while the devs hand the wurm players 1 hand of wheat while breaking into the players home and stealing 2 loafs of bread away every so often
[...]
Anyway all i hope is that i can still be playing wurm in 20 years time if not longer so i really hope they dont end up chasing everyone away in hopes of catering to a crowd that never shows

On 2/17/2020 at 8:29 AM, nitram20 said:

The most ironic part is is that this new update will do absolutely nothing to attract or keep players.

People will still leave in droves once they built their first house and the grind sets in

For Rolfs consistent and positive vision for Wurm, here lemme give ya some inspiration.

From JK home and wild days to the  MR introduction

MR home intro to the opening of home server being accessible  for wilds raiders.

The deletion of MR home and intro of Independence server.

The addition of deli, Exo and  celebration.

Adding release and pristine on a completely different and inaccessible world - later would be adding to main cluster.

Addition of Xanadu

Addition of Epic servers with the idea of it being a temporary experience that would reroll, later on this is change to a persistant server that over time would be integrated with the main cluster.

Addition of Wurm Unlimited which is its own experience separate of main cluster and available on steam.

The reason given for Home servers being closed to raiders were - It isnt time yet.

Addition of Player gods which were later deleted due to reasons.

The addition of meditation

The above is not in order just a reminder of the persistent and clear vision of the game thus far.

Cheers,

Edited by Snoo
stuffs
  • Like 2

Yeah but Snoo, none of that was clear and it fails to be persistent if it is removed.

26 minutes ago, armyskin said:

Yeah but Snoo, none of that was clear and it fails to be persistent if it is removed.

exactly 

Crap, was meant to be a reply of why to stick around... wait I can spin this... 

The reason you should stick around is to enjoy the roller coaster that is wurm. It's been an interesting ride thus far.

Edited by Snoo
Everything below exactly.
  • Like 2

[00:36:13] <Jacobacon> I'll pay 25s for it.
[00:36:36] <Xrumx> thanks for the offer, i will consider it
[00:37:11] <Jacobacon> wait I was just told you're johnston
[00:37:14] <Jacobacon> you can . off

1 minute time difference on being made an offer to being told to soak my head, in a game without gm kingdom leads.  Time stamp is indicative of a (wait for a bit after the above market price offer) harassment that is a little more advanced then telling a guy to sod off.  As usual, nothing is proven.

I need some reasons to stay as well sometimes.  Probably not best to no longer consider Chaos to be the ungimped version of what the game was supposed to be.  A few posts above about how the gameplay changed.  The game's selling point is having to interact with people due to an impossibility to have every skill and in the scheme of privatization there was no place for an objectively good actor with supreme authority to say hey quit being nasty to the other team; I needed it myself sometimes as the average competitive player isn't perfect.

Bwah, bwah, life goes on.

Edited by Johnston3

I think a good reason to stay is to look forward to the upcoming changes. There's a big chance that the Steam launch will bring a lot of new players. There's also the chance that it doesn't, and in that case you probably won't be alone in leaving. Really when it boils down to it, WO is a video game that needs to attract business. When business is not doing well, you adapt. That's just how it works. WO has been around for years, and basically no matter what they're going to disappoint/piss off veterans. It's a helluva balancing act. If you feel like quitting, you should wait until after steam release; who knows,  maybe the new communities will make WO a lot more enjoyable for you. It'd be wonderful to have thousands of players in WO again.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Dadadah said:

It'd be wonderful to have thousands of players in WO again.

Nope

On 2/22/2020 at 9:42 PM, Dadadah said:

It'd be wonderful to have thousands of players in WO again.

Yes.

• Like 4

It's all about balance.

• Too grindy at the start, you lose the bulk of the players, the business becomes unsustainable over time.
  • Too easy, you lose the feel of what makes Wurm such a wonderful game and so unique in the genre.

In between you have a range of players who all have different playstyles, so it isn't an easy balance to make.

What I would say is over the time you've been playing, there have been a shed load of improvements to the gameplay, from Bridges to Journals, 3rd Person view to Rifts, far too much to mention, so, in balance, I think there is a very good reason to stay, just my opinion, of course :)

Edited by solmark
  • Like 4

Building on what Solmark has said, Wurm is open ended.... you write your own story and endgame or activities are up to you to figure out.  it's your responsibility to figure out what you want to do to stay.

• Like 3

Its up to you if you ask me,and like its been said, a break might be good and see how you feel after a while.

Just don't quit because ''wurm is dead'' that is the most stupid reason i hear people quitting,its only dead because they leave.

• Like 3

Perception leads to action. This can be seen in almost any human endeavour. A good example is the stock market crash of 1929. People had the perception that their money wasn't safe anymore. Thus they withdrew their money from banks. Banks crashed and went under. People's money became even more unsafe because of this.  Self fulfilling prophecy.

Wurm needs to appear alive to people if they are to play. And at the moment Wurm appears more dead than ever. Dozens of decaying abandoned places. Missions rarely get completed. Zero pvp. And 1-2 fights per month don't count as pvp.

There is also a growing anxiety to the Steam Release and the future of Wurm.

2 hours ago, Nomadikhan said:

Building on what Solmark has said, Wurm is open ended.... you write your own story and endgame or activities are up to you to figure out.  it's your responsibility to figure out what you want to do to stay.

What I want is a healthy game with a lot of players so I can be motivated to play. If Wurm's content is Player Driven, then the lack of players = lack of content = lack of reason to stay. At least for me.

13 minutes ago, elentari said:

What I want is a healthy game with a lot of players so I can be motivated to play. If Wurm's content is Player Driven, then the lack of players = lack of content = lack of reason to stay. At least for me.

What I want is a quiet backwater area where I can escape the overbearing crush of people and the hustle and bustle of real life by enjoying a peaceful time in a niche game comprised of people I've known for years without having to worry about random newbies pulling up next to me and destroying the scenery. More players = more hassles = more reason to log out for a year or two. At least for me.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, elentari said:

Perception leads to action. This can be seen in almost any human endeavour. A good example is the stock market crash of 1929. People had the perception that their money wasn't safe anymore. Thus they withdrew their money from banks. Banks crashed and went under. People's money became even more unsafe because of this.  Self fulfilling prophecy.

Wurm needs to appear alive to people if they are to play. And at the moment Wurm appears more dead than ever. Dozens of decaying abandoned places. Missions rarely get completed. Zero pvp. And 1-2 fights per month don't count as pvp.

There is also a growing anxiety to the Steam Release and the future of Wurm.

I like the take on perception.  For me the less players the more natural and awesome my island stays and the more I feel like logging in.

• Like 1

Let's be real.  Anything that makes wurm easier is still a step in the right direction.  We are a long way aways from comparing to any of the dumbed down trash that commonly get released these days.  No one wants to spend hours and hours building thier noob shack.  This game needs to appeal to a broader audiance if it is to survive.  

• Like 1
  • Cat 1

On 2/20/2020 at 12:57 PM, Snoo said:

The reason you should stick around is to enjoy the roller coaster that is wurm. It's been an interesting ride thus far.

This - but, also taking a break can be good for you too - but not for too long - we would miss you and I am sure you would miss Wurm too.

• Like 1

On 2/16/2020 at 6:53 PM, Chakron said:

Waiting 50 minutes for a forge to heat up then failing 80% of your smithing actions and turning the metal you collected in 38 second mining actions into useless scraps was good for the game and built character.

I totally agree, those days you did not have 15 extra picks laying around, you loved your pick because it was HARD to make one. Although its fun to hoard and gather stuff it means less when it is easy .

I just filled my inventory with gear and logged off to play another game for a while until I see what direction Wurm takes. No more premium payments, no more silver buying no more cash flow until things get fixed.

I have put many thousands of dollars into Wurms pockets and I am waiting to see improvement or I will be following many others out the door.

• Like 3