Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Valrei International. 094

KYxctFI.png

Greetings Wurmians!
These past few weeks have had a fair amount of big news changes, with priests, RMT and traders all getting a look in on the “big changes of 2020” chart, but that's not all! This week we’ll touch on traders and the plans for them with the announcement of the numbers as well as a huge rework to follower bonuses as well as applying an early game curve to armour, shields and weapons, so let’s get into it! 

Traders
As previously stated, traders will be reworked to no longer pay out silvers based on kingdom coffers and ratio, but instead reduce upkeep of the deed they are on by a fixed percentage. They will reduce deed upkeep by 20% and instead of being limited by a tile range will simply be one trader per deed. 

We will also be working on a limited time arrangement with the GM team to move traders from small deeds to the main deed of a player as long as they are able to prove ownership of it (ownership of the house, and deed). Undeeded traders will not be claimable.

This will be available until April 1st, after that it will no longer be possible to do so. When this option becomes available Enki will make a post in the GM hall with information on how to request it

We will also be adjusting costs of trader items to compensate for the inability to drain back funds from purchases and possibly adding new items to traders in the future! 

Racks on Racks
Long requested are the addictions of saddle racks and shield racks, and they’re finally here! 

Quite simple in their function, they will both hold their respective items and have models for empty and full: 

l9BQ7za.jpg

lEUh1rD.jpg

Nice and stylish, compact too!

Elevation Premium Requirements
We’ve had some discussions lately about the use of free to play alts on Elevation, as well as them being killed by others, and around the original intention of Elevation being premium only. 

As of the update at the end of February non premium accounts logging into the Elevation server will be sent to their home server. Currently there are no PMK’s on Elevation but should any be made we will visit theoretical solutions then. 

Stone Strike Balance

We'll be "striking" a balance for the new spell, Stone Strike too! With this update we'll be increasing the surface mining chance cap to 60 when Stone Strike is cast on a pickaxe, making it more meaningful at higher skill. 

Creation QoL Improvements

In an effort to make the early game much more accessible, we’re implementing a feature that will remove failure to create on certain items. For these items creation will be 100%, with the ql output at a minimum of the ql of the item or 20, whichever is lower with the final cap by skill:

For example, if your Carpentry skill is 17 and you attempt to create a plank, even on "failure" you will still create a 17QL plank, unless the log's QL is less than that. At 25 skill, you would create a 20QL plank on failure instead.

The currently planned items are:

• Plank
  • Shaft
  • Rivets 
  • Stone brick 
  • String of cloth 
  • Large nails 
  • Small nails 
  • Rope 
  • Stone slab 
  • Hunting arrow head 
  • Thatch 
  • Clay brick 
  • Clay shingle 
  • Pottery shingle 
  • Wood shingle 
  • Yarn 
  • Rounded stone 

The reason behind this is to make early game such as creation of houses, fencing, and basic materials for building easier to get into and find the groove of the game. Starting out with new player gear and tools planks and nails are at best 50% creation chance, meaning not only do you need 80 planks for a 1x1, you need to go through on average 160 actions! 

If you can think of others that may benefit from this for new players let us know! 

Effective QL curve on armour, shields and weapons
We’ll also be introducing an effective QL curve of armour, shields, and weapons up to 70, meaning these items at lower ql have a slight buff vs the current system.
This means we can reduce the starting QL of the long sword, shield, and leather armour while they still maintain effectiveness, yet make improvement of crafted versions reward more early game. 
A sample of the ql changes:

Actual QL

Effective QL

Follower changes

We’ll also be adapting how the Follower benefits work, as well as adding in a few different features to global rites! 

One change to be aware of is that the learner bonus of Vynora (10% to all skillgain) will no longer affect ALL characteristics. Instead characteristic skillgain will be split amongst the deities and provide a scaled bonus based on alignment to that God from 2.5% at 1(-1 for Libila) and 10% at 100(-100 for Libila)
The other deities will now get a higher skill gain bonus to specific skills, while the learner bonus will apply to all skills. 

Fo

• +15% skill gain to Nature & its sub skills and Cooking & its sub skills
  • +2.5%-10% skill gain to Body Stamina, Soul Depth scaled by alignment 
  • +40 to Taming skillcheck bonus (was +20)
  • 20% slower food/water bar drain (was +25% food gained when eating)
  • +1 range for Gardening/Forestry-dependent mouseover info (trees, grass, etc.)
  • +10% QL gain when improving cloth items
  • Priests get defensive CR bonus on steppe in addition to the other “natural” tile types

Holy Crop

• Flower spawns will increase
  • Grass will grow faster

Vynora

• The 10% skill gain will no longer apply to all characteristics instead Vynora followers will now get a +2.5%-10% skill gain to Mind Logic, Mind Speed scaled by alignment 
  • 5% shorter action timer when building walls 
  • 10% shorter action timer when paving roads
  • 7.5% shorter repair timer
  • No more faith loss for non-priests destroying pavement/structures
  • +10% QL gain when improving wooden and clay items

Magranon

• +15% skill gain to Fighting subskills, all “weapon” skills and subskills, and Archery & its subskills
  • +2.5%-10% skill gain to Body Strength, Body Control scaled by alignment 
  • +1 Offensive CR (priests in favoured terrain only gain the +2 CR) 
  • +1 range for world slope/flatness mouseover info
  • +10% QL gain when improving metallic items

Ritual of the Sun

• Meteor showers will occur and boulder-like meteorites  will land across the server which have random metal type and can be mined directly for lumps (They will not change the terrain)

Libila

• +15% skill gain to Religion & its sub skills, Alchemy & its sub skills, and Thievery & its sub skills
  • +2.5%-10% skill gain to Body Strength, Soul Strength scaled by alignment
  • Human corpses will give meat when butchered for followers
  • +1 Offensive CR (priests in favoured terrain only gain the +2 CR) 
  • +10% QL gain when improving leather items
  • (PvE only changes to serve as an alternative to the various mycelium/HotS benefits Libila gets on PvP servers, retaining the theme but without implementing mycelium 
  • “Consume Corpse” ability to regain health from corpses by consuming their residual life energy
    • Only usable on non-butchered, non-damaged corpses (no hoarding old corpses for health), and when permissions would allow butchering
    • Health gained is dependent on creature, age, condition and scales with CR
    • Auto-targets your most severe wound, like healing spells
    • Sets corpse as “butchered”, so there is a choice between this and butchering products
    • When Rite of Death is in effect, Consume Corpse has a chance of triggering an effect similar to a Mindstealer enchantment
    • 10-minute cooldown timer

Rite of Death

• Mushrooms will spawn far more often, and on significantly more tiles
  • PvE only changes to serve as a PvE replacement to Rite of Death’s other effects on PvP:
    • Far less skill loss on death, similar to dying on deed
    • Libila followers and priests gain +15% combat damage (similar to a Magranon priest) and a bonus to Consume Corpse (see above) for the duration of the rite

Rite Changes

We will also be making a few generic changes to how rites work as well

• To encourage long-term diligence instead of “grinding” them and to encourage all followers to pray from time to time instead of relying on mass-praying priests, only prayers and sermons that could cause valid Faith gains increase deity favour

To offset the changes here we will be improving how deity favour is gained:

• Missions now give deity favour, partially scaled by difficulty of mission
  • Prayers and sermons now give 3 times the deity favour
  • Spell effect visible to players in status icons/spell effects window, showing which Rites are in effect and when they expire. This serves multiple purposes:
  • Making it more clear to players when they can claim a bonus by praying
  • Notifying players of ongoing rite-related effects, such as Vynora’s boat speed boost or Libila’s follower/priest bonus

All of these numbers are considered set, but as with all features are subject to change. Taking the chance and providing the exact numbers early on allows you all to provide feedback on them and for us to make adjustments where we feel may be necessary. As usual don't consider any of this wholly firm until the patch notes! 

The February update looks to be a big one, and if you have any questions or comments, I’ll be going live with the Wurm Online stream at 9pm UTC to talk all about this and more, so catch me there!

Until next time,
Keep on Wurming!
Retrograde & the Wurm team

• Like 21

9 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Vynora

• The 10% skill gain will no longer apply to all characteristics instead Vynora followers will now get a +2.5%-10% skill gain to Mind Logic, Mind Speed scaled by alignment

ouch

• Like 11

Just now, Griffith said:

ouch

You speak my heart.... Why........

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Missions now give deity favour, partially scaled by difficulty of mission

What about Vynora, who doesn't have missions anymore?

Also Mind Speed is a characteristic tied mostly to fighting, why was it left for Vynora, when would have fit Mag, Fo or Libila better?

• Like 6

Ignore prior comment. I’m blind lol. Exciting updates!

Edited by Gawain
  • Like 1

Is the Lib favor regen bonus going away or is that separate priest bonus?

Will a trader reduce upkeep no matter whether it's being traded with?

25 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Taking the chance and providing the exact numbers early on allows you all to provide feedback on them and for us to make adjustments where we feel may be necessary.

Thank you, i hope you keep up with the transparency, I greatly approve and I really like most of the changes. Particularly the balance on moving traders but not repacking them.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

They will reduce deed upkeep by 20% and instead of being limited by a tile range will simply be one trader per deed. 

Worthless.

• Like 3

sighs... 

the dumbing down for the steam crowd begins. I can see planks and nails, but most of these are not needed to build a shelter. 

Creation QoL Improvements

In an effort to make the early game much more accessible, we’re implementing a feature that will remove failure to create on certain items. For these items creation will be 100%, with the ql output at a minimum of the ql of the item or 20, whichever is lower with the final cap by skill:

For example, if your Carpentry skill is 17 and you attempt to create a plank, even on "failure" you will still create a 17QL plank, unless the log's QL is less than that. At 25 skill, you would create a 20QL plank on failure instead.

The currently planned items are:

• Plank
  • Shaft
  • Rivets 
  • Stone brick 
  • String of cloth 
  • Large nails 
  • Small nails 
  • Rope 
  • Stone slab 
  • Hunting arrow head 
  • Thatch 
  • Clay brick 
  • Clay shingle 
  • Pottery shingle 
  • Wood shingle 
  • Yarn 
  • Rounded stone 
Edited by ChampagneDragon
  • Like 5
  • Cat 1

23 minutes ago, Yldrania said:

You speak my heart.... Why........

All this metagaming around skill gain should've been removed long ago FWIW. Doing it partially is still better than doing nothing at all.

34 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

• Thatch 

Do you still have to create ~800 pieces of thatch until you have enough skill to make a single thatched roof?

Edited by Batolemaeus

2 minutes ago, Delacroix said:

Worthless.

My deed is 10s94c a month. So my benefit if I were to buy one would be about 2s20c per month. At 50s cost that would only take me 20 months to recoup. Nope. Not buying one for my big deed. My smaller deed at 3s50c mo already has one. Never gonna recoup that purchase (it's only a year old, and I've drained a whopping 4s from it)

• Like 1

Great changes. Mag seems a little op but other than that I like that there's a reason to go a faith other than vynora now.

• Like 1

If anything was to change with the deities I was more hoping that the 10% would be inherent to all of them as opposed to still there for vynora but slightly nerfed for body stats. It seems to me I would sacrifice 10% increased gain in all skills to gain 15% in a few? I like the idea of more diversity and being able to pick different gods but I don't feel like this was necessarily the way to achieve it. In a long term game like this 10% faster skillgain feels too good to pass up.

Body stats are a big part of growing a stronger character long term, but so are skills. This doesn't seem to benefit new players.

all see like good and fair changes, i like them,  love the shield and saddle racks hopefully the saddle can hold more than just one with saddlebags too. i love that traders are gonna be on xan finally i agree that mortar should be added to no fail as well as concrete. we also NEED Tricorn Pirate hats plz. :)

13 minutes ago, Evening said:

What about Vynora, who doesn't have missions anymore?

We're looking into adding Vynora missions back to PvE servers again.

• Like 7

26 minutes ago, Griffith said:

ouch

Yeah this blows, time to grind digging as much as possible while Vyn isn't split apart

1 minute ago, leander said:

all see like good and fair changes, i like them,  love the shield and saddle racks hopefully the saddle can hold more than just one with saddlebags too. i love that traders are gonna be on xan finally i agree that mortar should be added to no fail as well as concrete. we also NEED Tricorn Pirate hats plz. :)

Why? Just make everything a no fail so there is no reason to grind, and no reason to work with others to get materials you can't make yourself.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Vynora

So now we have to choose between 10% skill gain or 10% characteristic gains?  (Does the increased "bonus" mind logic even allow eligible players an extra action or will the ML only affect things like attaching runes?

37 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Rite Changes

We will also be making a few generic changes to how rites work as well

• To encourage long-term diligence instead of “grinding” them and to encourage all followers to pray from time to time instead of relying on mass-praying priests, only prayers and sermons that could cause valid Faith gains increase deity favour

This is a foolish change, the problem was that followers had no motivation to pray, and still don't.  Also, say goodbye to anyone wanting to complete their Rite cast for their Benediction journal without capturing lightning in a bottle and being on at the right place and time.... just like before...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Wargasm said:

So now we have to choose between 10% skill gain or 10% characteristic gains?  (Does the increased "bonus" mind logic even allow eligible players an extra action or will the ML only affect things like attaching runes?

The bonus always was and looks set to be skillgain, not effective skill, so it won't grant an extra action or affect rune chances

1 minute ago, Wargasm said:

This is a foolish change, the problem was that followers had no motivation to pray, and still don't.  Also, say goodbye to anyone wanting to complete their Rite cast for their Benediction journal without capturing lightning in a bottle and being on at the right place and time.... just like before...

But now non-prayer actions contribute to Rites. I think the rest of this could be solved as a community effort - I managed a cast for my benediction just this week by networking. It'd be far less effort to get in contact with people on your server to organise casts, since this may result in them being available more often (no idea how much prayer grind goes on to power rites)

1 minute ago, ChampagneDragon said:

Why? Just make everything a no fail so there is no reason to grind, and no reason to work with others to get materials you can't make yourself.

that's going a bit extreme don't you think i was just saying that concrete is already hard enough to make without failing and losing the materials use to crate it and possibly not even making it anyway. im not saying make everything no fail. 

• Like 1

And so it has begun.. classes in wurm.. based on faith.. blah... 🤢

• Like 1

another awesome update, love the libila bonuses.. when is this going live?

• Like 1