Sign in to follow this  
Encrtia

Rope Climbing - When stuck...

Logic

Rope can be used to drop down a single border, whereby if long enough (20 dirt gradient for single rope, + 15 for additional attached rope) a player at the bottom could climb/be pulled up.

One person at the top initiating, one person at the bottom reacting.

Rationale

The amount of times I (early on) died from falling into a pit, or digging at too deep a gradient, then lacked the ability/stamina to get out.

That horrible day I resigned 2 years ago because some high level player trolled my mines by clashing them, whereby I fell some absurb value down with no hope of climbing out.

The ability to hoist someone sneakily over a wall, or up a steep plateau instead of walking ten miles around to reach him.

Mainly because I have an irrational fear of falling into pits now.

Edited by Encrtia
  • Like 8

+1 It might need a special rope to be crafted, eg "mountaineer's rope", from a rope or two, and a hook and a large nail or so, the latter made from steel for example. should allow some stam regain when hanging passively on the rope without climbing skill active. would be fun

• Like 2

Love this idea.  Could also add grappling hooks. 

As a Wurm mountaineer, a rope not just for climbing but safety would be a huge plus (even more than the Swiss flag).

I currently rely on flattening areas so I can regain stamina and crafting fences for when I fall, but they leave highly visible changes on the landscape. It would be great to have a climbing rope. Specially made, light weight but long and strong.  A grapnel or something required for one-person operation, otherwise as per the OP.  With a grapnel, have it attach at the far border of the tile after the next tile (i.e. beyond normal physical reach but not ludicrously so).  If you are already climbing, you need to belay in order to use the grapnel since you can't throw with your hands full of wall (would need a new object, metal pin/spike).  Using it is a climbing action, i.e. stamina reduces the same as for normal climbing, but will at least partially (or slowly) recover if you belay.  If the rope is activated, you are considered tied to it, so a slip will only be 2 tiles.  

There is actually a very old suggestion for this:  https://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/129-ropes-and-climbing/&tab=comments#comment-1123

My last fall of a mountain was only a couple of days ago, and recovering my corpse was a nightmare to manage without completely uglifying the mountainside.  Made more difficult because I was avoiding a hell-hound that was hanging around, because I had not the stamina, gear or FS to deal with it.  I don't know whether it was lucky or unlucky that it killed the horse I had left at my last staging area.  Some kind of climbing or safety rope would have made a huge difference.

Edited by TheTrickster
  • Like 2

great idea for the climbing skill and even better with the equipment 

sounds good to me, definitely have to make it pve only though