Sign in to follow this  
Farmerbob

How about bringing back something that went away years ago. Pushing other players.

Years ago, it used to be possible to push other players, even in the PvE servers.  Due to world glitching and some issues with pushing players into places that should not have been possible, that feature was removed, oh, 10 years ago?

In a game where players cannot pass through other players in PvP, there's a real role for the ability to push.  Defending or attacking a hilltop town becomes far more interesting.  Pushing players out of boats could be an awesome way to steal their boat.

If you make it body-stat-based, it would reward high stats.

If you try to push a player, maybe you lose a combat level for a couple seconds?  If you succeed in pushing, you gain back your combat level, and the opponent loses a combat level.  If you fail to push, you lose a second combat level, briefly, then return to normal in a couple seconds. 

In PvE, players should not be allowed to push other players.  Way too much griefing possible that way in PvE, for instance, pushing a player into water when they are starving.

However, in PvE, we might still allow monsters to push.  Especially monsters with thumbs.  You're going to think three times about climbing up that steep rock face to kill that troll when you know there's a good chance he's just going to thump you in the chest and knock you off balance so you take falling damage.  Then he might just sit up there and wait for you to try to climb up again, unless you start shooting him with a bow.

Trolls and even goblins suddenly become dangerous to ANYONE if they inhabit high ground.  Don't even think about what a Ram might do to you if you attack it on steep ground.  Exploring mountains could go catastrophically bad, even if you plan carefully.

• Like 1

Honestly, sounds like a massive opportunity of exploits and bugs, which is probably why it was removed in the first place.  -1.

3 minutes ago, Wonka said:

Honestly, sounds like a massive opportunity of exploits and bugs

Absolutely. I once played a game called "Mortal Online" (another indie game from Sweden ;) ) which had that functionality. Pushing other players was a constant source of grief and harrassment. Griefers used to sneak behind you and started to push you towards steep slopes and chasms.

Sorry but -1 from me as well. Same reasons Yaga mentioned, but to be honest.... it's not only an issue with Griefers. I mean, if the functions were there, even I would be tempted to troll my friends here and there and that's saying something lol

The only way in which I would say HELL YEAH to that is if it was a system like dueling in which both players have to agree first and THEN it becomes possible.

51 minutes ago, nekoexmachina said:

he specifically said though "no pushing players in PvE"

Yes, but I wouldn't have fun being pushed off a cliff by mobs either. :)

(Why make the world a more dangerous and uncomfortable place than it is?) 

Because without introducing unsafe stuff you cant introduce fun stuff (pushing mobs off the cliff)

• Like 1

The problem with it was when you pushed someone they basically teleported half a tile back. When you teleport you reload and re render the world as if you just logged in, if you have ever used the karma teleport or a farwalker twig it’s the same thing

All it resulted in was a whole bunch of people pushing the one dude around and he would be completely lagged out and unable to defend, in many cases they would outright crash or their client would lock up, also people who were known to have poor internet connections and/or computer hardware were targeted and anyone who used dialup, mobile or satellite internet were basically excluded from PvP (remember it was quite a while ago, but even today we have quite a few players on 3G internet which is only marginally better)

From memory there was all kinds of rubber banding issues too where you would get stuck and be unable to move 

The feature didn’t last more than a week or two iirc

Edited by Gavin
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Gavin said:

The problem with it was when you pushed someone they basically teleported half a tile back. When you teleport you reload and re render the world as if you just logged in, if you have ever used the karma teleport or a farwalker twig it’s the same thing

All it resulted in was a whole bunch of people pushing the one dude around and he would be completely lagged out and unable to defend, in many cases they would outright crash or their client would lock up, also people who were known to have poor internet connections and/or computer hardware were targeted and anyone who used dialup, mobile or satellite internet were basically excluded from PvP (remember it was quite a while ago, but even today we have quite a few players on 3G internet which is only marginally better)

From memory there was all kinds of rubber banding issues too where you would get stuck and be unable to move 

The feature didn’t last more than a week or two iirc

Hrm, that short a time?  I remember being pushed on PVE servers quite a few times, over a few months, on Freedom, after it released.  Perhaps I am misremembering.  We were working on a very large cliffside stairway at the time.  They managed to push me off the cliff once.  Fun times!

However, I was not aware that it forced an actual teleport.  That definitely changes things.  If the player cannot be kept in the world without a connection interruption when they are pushed, then it was a good call to take it out, and will be a good call to keep it out if that issue can't be fixed.  PVE or PVP.  Players or NPCs.

Edited by Farmerbob
clarity