Sign in to follow this  
Madnath

Anti-WoA spell

There was a pretty vocal push for this in the priest thread, so I think it's deserving of a proper thread since the reason for bounce back was pretty weak (and I mean that in the most polite way possible)

For years people have wanted a spell with this effect so they wouldn't need to do silly things like balancing bad and severe wounds with bad healing covers. Now that the priest changes have happened with some new spells being added, now seems a perfect time to make this happen. There are a lot of good reasons to make this happen, beyond adding value to gods already on the table. Mag is lacking in good spells for him to cast on items, since Stone Strike is pretty niche in its own way.

Less actions = less chances to score an affinity

This in its own way is a good balance point. It means this is only likely to be used by the people who need to get some serious grind in where their current skills might hinder them (high stamina/path of power accounts)

Offers more spell variety for tools

So far, we only really slap one or two casts on our tools. We either have only CoC or WoA, both, or BoTD (with BoTD being rarer since Lib spells on Freedom are pretty crappy as it is)

By adding a spell for slower actions, we increase the variety we see on tools, opening more options for priests to fund their premium time now RMT is going bye bye and most importantly, give a better player experience without needing to do dumb stuff we don't enjoy (wound balancing)

In the run up to Steam, this could be considered a great feature to add to the list of things brought in to polish the game for release. How well Steam goes could be affected pretty heavily by the current Wurm population. With a lot of rocky announcements and general unease from the community, I think this would do a lot to help relieve the older, veteran playerbase who want to see some good QoL that will help them play.

• Like 18
  • Cat 2

So essentially, you want a spell that makes actions slower. To what end?

3 minutes ago, Keenan said:

makes skilling less rsi inducing

• Like 5
  • Cat 1

18 minutes ago, Keenan said:

for some(most skill) actions, stamina use(action timer) scale the skill-gain; 

up to ~30sec... anything above that is disgusting to look at(really low gain, worse than 1st action with full stamina)

Instead of getting fall-damage, drowning, thorns, wound damage, etc.. to achieve longer action timers..  he's asking for easier way to manage the sweet spot with bigger skill-gains, and to get rid of the annoying maintenance of damage ticks&healing... as it either kills you with a 'healing tick'(probably near impossible to happen) or.. you just have to lose/WASTE/ a lot of time... managing this kind of damage.. just to get your stamina and action timers at the spot you need them to be.. to get better skill-gains per action..

No need to name skills that work with this as probably 90% of the actions in the game use that mechanic.

• Like 1

Finnn really hits the nail on the head. It's a way of reducing the user need to do dumb things like try to wound balance, while also being a very solid utility for both skill grinding and to add value to one of the two priests with not much real value in the game world. High stamina accounts have an issue where their high stamina starts to gimp their skillgains from what I understand, and it'd probably serve a good use early on for newbies who only have their three action slots, while coming out of us mostly during their middle game life.

So far the bounce backs from the people in charge have been weak.

"It'll just be another must have skill" How is that a downside to anyone or anything?

"We're not looking to add another powerful utility spell" Why, when Mag and Lib are still critically underpowered in every way compared to Fo and Vyn?

This makes some sense to me. It's also a great educational point for new players who wonder, 'why make actions slower.' Finding the answer will reveal better ways of skilling, I'm sure.

In any case, I've wished for something like this when skilling. If I'm going to stand there doing useless work for skilling, why not make it more worthwhile. :)

+1

• Like 1

if it was a spell, I think it should go to lib. Slowing things down sounds like it would fit better there than mag. :P

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Nicrolis said:

if it was a spell, I think it should go to lib. Slowing things down sounds like it would fit better there than mag. :P

Yeah that'd be fine, I feel like Lib has the lowest amount of real world use

• Like 1

For example I'm grinding ropemaking. A ton of strings are used in the process and those need to be higher ql than the item I'm imping. Long timers help to lower the mats requirement a lot - now I need to micromanage stamina by low water level and tossing climbing on and off.

as fun as spending 5 minutes climbing a dirtwall to jump off and only take 28 dmg and needing to slap myself with an alt a few times to get it to bad so it'll worsen is this spell would still be really nice thanks

Okay, this is a pre-Steam launch suggestion. No way could I find the original discussion being referred to before I started playing again, with this little to go on.

I don't have first-hand experience of a high-level account, even pre-Steam, and if there are Southern veterans playing on Northern cluster, I would guess their account stats here aren't yet overdeveloped enough to need to employ these antics, so again, I'm drawing a blank.

I am however very interested in understanding better, the challenges that other account holders have with their build and how that could be better supported by optimisation mechanics in general.

I would very much appreciate it if someone could explain this in enough detail, or provide links to forum discussions that do, so that these challenges could be better understood and perhaps replicated on Test Server.

8 hours ago, Drayka said:

Okay, this is a pre-Steam launch suggestion. No way could I find the original discussion being referred to before I started playing again, with this little to go on.

I don't have first-hand experience of a high-level account, even pre-Steam, and if there are Southern veterans playing on Northern cluster, I would guess their account stats here aren't yet overdeveloped enough to need to employ these antics, so again, I'm drawing a blank.

I am however very interested in understanding better, the challenges that other account holders have with their build and how that could be better supported by optimisation mechanics in general.

I would very much appreciate it if someone could explain this in enough detail, or provide links to forum discussions that do, so that these challenges could be better understood and perhaps replicated on Test Server.

it's already in the thread

we balance wounds to make timers longer for better skilling, especially with limited resources, or if PoP's stamina boost is being used

we're asking to remove the need to freeze high damage wounds with a spell to make actions slower instead

I like the idea of this as a Lib spell, I think it'd expand her PvE utility by a fair amount!

• Like 1

utility is questionable.. as we can handle this as it is with hunger/thirst/climbing/wounds... but we still can't damage tools and repair them without some serious amount of sunder/mending or sunger/repairing_with_alt to turn high ql tool to skiller or ~low ql tool to ql1 skiller...

rarity helps to keep your enchant.. but casting on ql10 is a bit risky..  making it more reasonable to imp the item a bit.. to cast on it then.. just to be in another trouble of casting a ton of sunders and to repair the damage to lower the ql to create a skiller which drops enchant power at slower rate... whole system is pretty dumb to create a good skiller with rarity, but it's at least possible to imp a took/weapon head ~high and cast on that.. then finish the item with shaft/handle on relatively new f2p alt.. and have that amazing rare skiller with good cast..

#rocketscience #nomuchsupportforexistingmechanics 

We're basically using workarounds to get basic skilling tools where it matters

8 hours ago, Etherdrifter said:

I like the idea of this as a Lib spell, I think it'd expand her PvE utility by a fair amount!

she already gets BoTD, it'd make more sense on Mag

Bumping thread because animal husbandry grind has forced me into using grind wounds again for decent timers and skill ticks.

Please, there's a lot of good applications for this spell.

I think this should be a spell cast on a person, not on a tool.  (unspecified in what I could quickly take in)    Like Morning Fog, you would have a duration based on the power of the cast...

Wait a moment, why has this not been implemented yet?

It's such a simple spell idea that would positively impact wurm's late game.

Have my bump again. Considering how skillgain works in Wurm, this is a must. 

I get it, but I can't get past just how much this feeds into an over the top minimax meta, some people are extreme enough to wound themselves to get better results, but adding this spell would make it an absolute necessity in skilling. 

I don't think this is what wurm needs in all honesty