Sign in to follow this  
Nordlys

Project Freemason, an indy highway cleanup

Greetings, adventurers!

We have done some modifications to some of the highways across Indy, and this will be the recordings for anyone interested in such.

This one is regarding The Great Northern Way (or "The northeast highway" as some call it).

There is a stretch of road from "Pingpongs folly" in central north to the praries in the northeast that lacks highway connection. This part is also rather tedious to travel, as it contains strange turns and slopes from the old times when deeds flourished the area.

A portion of the highway have already been upgraded and beautified from the Xanadu deed and almost to Pingpongs tunnel, all with catseyes and a part even has sand/oaks along the sides for proper vision and atmosphere.

My suggestion is that the rest of the road from here and to the east gets connected to the highway system. This will ofcourse give the opportunity to straighten the road in some areas, and maybe flatten out some of the long 20-slopes.

I will ofcourse supply manual labour on this project.

There is one stretch that goes through a deed (insert name here), on a wooden bridge. The best outcome is ofcourse if the owner of this deed do this part. Alternatively we can re-rout the road south of this deed.

Inputs are appreciated and slaves workers are welcome to comment here. :)

Map of the area from Albia Roads community map:

aRNGqFL.jpg

Map from newest map dump of consisting highway (green lines) and wanted highway (red lines). The yellow line is where the road passes a deed.

THrYvDn.jpg

Example on how i made some of the stretch from Xanadu to Pingpongs folly look like:

OsmVG04.png

- N

Edited by Nordlys
  • Like 4

You'll be happy to know that today Rockdawgz, Elemental, and I rerouted the highway between Xanadu and my deed that had been broken, and it is finally connected and functional again :) Let me know where and when you'd like assistance, Nordlys! I'm happy to help.

• Like 2

Most of the Northern Highways need major re-works, guard towers, some slope leveling, been trying to get enough long term players and new players together to make this almost an Impalong. Would be fun to do so. Especially with wagons as mobile Construction Vehicles bringing forges and materials with. Build some temporary safe fence zones along the way as we progress so folks have safe place to work or retreat back to.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, ArthurHawkwing said:

Most of the Northern Highways need major re-works, guard towers, some slope leveling

There are some guard towers along the way, but would like to pave under them - maybe 2x2 with slabs - just so they get a bit more visible.

And yes, there are some horrible slopes in my opinion. The road would be much less tedious to travel if the slopes were to be flattened a bit out. I will start from Pingpongs folly and work abit east, take one step at the time. :)

The travellers who uses this road for different purposes seems to like the view and convenience, so ill continue to brighten it up a bit. :) 

• Like 2

I'd be glad to come up and throw down some towers, eyes, pavement, sprouts, etc and kill the local beasties. 

• Like 2

I'll hop on the back of Neenee's wagon when she's not looking.

• Like 3

It smells like wunions in here

Edited by Beanbag

Very nice, ill make sure to have beds and breakfasts for my slaves you kind people. :) 

• Like 1

I would be willing to come down and do some terraforming and help with towers and paving. I think it would be beneficial if we had a sort of base camp somewhere near the middle of the new highway. Just a small area that we can work from. 

Just give me a list of things that need to be done and I will head over and work on them. I am at Whitchfold Croft south of there along the Freedom Highway. 

• Like 1

I've put two diagonal cut roads in, at the first two block turns going east from Pings Folley. Take a look and see if ok. If so the new diagonals could use a bit of touching up again as we make our way.  Maybe, lots of the old paved tiles from past deeds along the way, could be torn up and let to grow over?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Gumbo said:

I've put two diagonal cut roads in, at the first two block turns going east from Pings Folley. Take a look and see if ok. If so the new diagonals could use a bit of touching up again as we make our way.  Maybe, lots of the old paved tiles from past deeds along the way, could be torn up and let to grow over?

Yes, i saw. Something like that will make the road much more desirable to travel. Great work! I also agree that some of the old pavements need to go. Some of the new diagonals might make it confusing if the old roads stay the way they were.

Think my first major overhaul will be the big slope just east of the Folly. The one where the road turns south for 6 tiles and all are 20 slope. Should be possible to make a better solution for that.

Edited by Nordlys

A small update on how its going up north.

This was transformed from a single steep slope to three much more convenient slopes:

Tny7x9Z.jpg

Removed alot of the old pavements in this area - before this diagonal road was made there was alot of zigg-zagg roads without any meaning:

zJK3L2u.png

• Like 1

Massive update have been made to secure a good route connecting central to the north. Big ups to our fantastic alliance for breaking all the shovels and pickaxes for this one.

We figured out that the old freedom highway would need an extension:

F4wRolt.png

We gathered the manpower to do so and started, and within a few weeks the road is finished. Mind you we still need to place CE along the highway and plant and bless lamps, and the tunnel needs a bit of beautification - we're on it! :)

I will also take the time when planting lamps to clear the guard towers along the highway and make them more visible, in addition to add some fountains and mailboxes along the way.

The new part starts where the old Freedom Highway makes a bend south.

Vp2C7KJ.jpg

EY3XgxB.jpg

All the old roads in the area are connected and functional, it was worth the effort. :)

nSnO3Ms.jpg

oXJNTK2.jpg

All slopes on the new part of Freedom Highway have a diagonal slope at maximum 7 (equals to 14 on a straight slope iirc), so its fit for fast riding and stamina regen.

DM1S4jC.jpg

8aS12I8.jpg

68uhLK0.jpg

The Freedom Highway enters a tunnel in the south, connecting up with the old Valyrian Steel tunnel. This part still needs a bit of cleaning before its completely done, but its open through all the way. :)

IeSyTey.jpg

You can also check this topic to see what we had to deal with to get the tunnel in order:

Thanks again to the great and active alliance im lucky to be part of for the massive collab on this project! And look out for more beautification of the north, as i will continue adding to this thread when parts of the old roads are modernized. :) 

Edited by Nordlys
  • Like 2

Reads this while hammering away at iron vein #2687 (possibly not that high, but sure feels like it!)

• Like 2

Gud'morning Nordlys et al,  Thursday, July 16, 2020 at 16:14 GMT

The break in Cats Eyes on Great Northern Way mid way along the north at a deed across the hwy (which I can not name as they have not applied to be on the Albia Map)....  has been fixed.

Edit.... here are before and after photos of the west end.

http://prntscr.com/tou2cu 4,388 tiles to Castel Gandolfo before CEH bypass completion

http://prntscr.com/tou2ra 0,418 tiles to Castel Gandolfo after CEH bypass completed.

History ....  ASDF of Castle Gandolfo did give the guy Waystones and Cat's Eyes two years ago for him to complete the link up when Asdf and I put in the Cats Eyes up there (and Named street lamps), linking GNW from Xanadu all the way through to the Puppy Path Tunnel.

Two weeks ago (or three)... Skyefox was up north doing a roads update survey and saw the start of a bypass there.

So I grabbed a 1,000 or so spare dirt, some stone bricks and come Cats Eyes and we finished the bypass and put in Cats Eyes to complete the GNW CE Hwy, so wagoneers can now travel along Great Northern Way with out a 3,970 tile detour from one side to the other.

Kindest regards,

Hughmongus

Edited by HughMongus
added screen shot links

Beautiful news. That part has been bugging me aswell, nice to see it done. :)

• Like 1

On 2/11/2020 at 9:35 AM, Gumbo said:

.... and I also moved the street lamps that needing moving as a result of the new diagonal pieces of road that Gumbo put in when he smoothed out a few corners (and did away with one annoying "dip" down to an intersection east of PP Foley).

Nice job on the realignment Gumbo.

An Albia Survey is booked to come and do more tile counting up north this weekend.

Kindest regards,

Hughmongus and Skyefox

Cartographers of Indy

I did both sides of Pingpongs folly actually. Gumbo did a nice job straightening out some twists and turns a bit further to the east. :) 

• Like 1

This highway extension only gets better and better.  Amazing job you and the team have done.

The roads map Survey Crew took these pictures whilst we were up there tile counting.

http://prntscr.com/tou6dl
  Intersection spacing of Street Lamps where Colossus Lake Hwy cross Freedom Hwy, 5 either side of the road junction and the 10 tiles apart on the East-West travel part (of course 8 tiles apart on Diagonals which the late Zorako and I worked out back in 2016).

http://prntscr.com/tou77d View south approaching the new tunnel on the Freedom Hwy extension

http://prntscr.com/tou7oz Survey Crew overnight camp.(yeah we do need this thing called sleep occasionally)

http://prntscr.com/tou836 View to north west from just above SE end of the Freedom Hwy extension

http://prntscr.com/tou8ib New side road to the Guard Twr on the extension, so folks can find it to keep it repaired.

Enjoy!!

Kindest regards,

Hughmongus

Cartographer of Indy

Edited by HughMongus
formatting
  • Like 1

Today we celebrate with ale and wine (and unfermented vodka for the occational special one, like @Rothschild)!

We have finished section #2 of the Freedom Highway tunnel, going north/south through the Valyrian Highlands (gaw, i love that name) and we can call this project done and carved in.. stone.

Heres an image of section #2 (the southern part of the tunnels) from the map. This red line alone is 200 tiles long:

BLzWzoV.png

To sum up on this whole "Freedom Highway extension" project, heres a rough estimate on what we have done to make traveling easier and safer on Independence.

The whole tunnel we carved is about 600 tiles long, 3 wide all paved and catseyed, all walls except veins are reinforced. The ceiling is also raised to not get any incidents with heads banging in the rock above.

Then there is the diagonal highway thats about the same length and giving some challenges due to some differences in the terrain - with no slopes steeper than 14 (the diagonal slopes are 7+7).

awDSuTC.png

Also some extra pictures of very unfinished parts in the southern section of the tunnel and south exit:

DUBNokO.jpg

hCG6Ftf.jpg

8qaxSTU.jpg

okyvwmU.jpg

Edited by Nordlys
  • Like 5

I have enough work in my hands in improving and fixing roads on SE Ind, but I wish you all good with your project!

Edited by Platyna