Sign in to follow this  
Grifo

Plantable Cocoa

I think its time we should be able to be able to grow cocoa beans. Everything else but cocoa beans and nettles(as far as I know) are farmable. Let us use the new planter boxes to grow the beans in.

Edit: Shydow brought to my attention, sassafras+nutmeg can't be farmable. Why not add all four items to the farmable list.

Edited by Grifo
  • Like 6

In planter boxes only and requiring 50+ farming skill to plant and I'd be in favor.  Cocoa is a very difficult plant to get going unless you are in the perfect environment for it, and even then it can be challenging.  Make it a high end skill crop.

I'm in favor of the idea even if they don't make it challenging to grow it, but challenges and objectives are good things in the game. Don't make chocolate easy. ;)

• Like 4

Yep.  No need to have plants that can't be grown...  it'd be fine to limit some by skill level, or make them die easy, or need to be watered/tended, or whatever... but may as well have them possible.

JS

Yes please! Good ql cocoa, nettles and nutmeg are hard and slow to come by. Also would be fine with only being accessible at higher farming levels if needed. Might give me something to aim for since quality veggies are abundant.

I would like to see more USES for these items.  Ok they might be challenging for some to find, but at the moment there is little incentive to do so, apart from finding a few for cooking.  Nettles and sassafras are the most useful as we put them on pizzas, but nutmeg and cocoa not so much.

Idk, planters can get you silly amounts of herbs. I’d rather chocolate be a bit more rare and a treat than something farmed. Maybe add a separate forage for group with the rarer stuff?

• Like 1

Bumping this because I want to start making bulk rum instead of whiskey please. 

I bump yet again in hopes they will add it, make me get drunk with so much rum I am nice to new players. Don't make this last as long as Nadrojs woad thread.

I am hesitating due to the widespread acceptance of the proposal, but -1 anyway.

Most items obtainable solely by foraging and botanizing have already been taken away such as woad from botanizing lately. Cocoa is the only food resource which can be obtained by foraging. It would be a major nerf to take it away.

16 minutes ago, Ekcin said:

I am hesitating due to the widespread acceptance of the proposal, but -1 anyway.

Most items obtainable solely by foraging and botanizing have already been taken away such as woad from botanizing lately. Cocoa is the only food resource which can be obtained by foraging. It would be a major nerf to take it away.

This is a valid point. Foraging and botanizing have often been dismissed as pointless "wastes of time" tasks. This would definitely make these skills even less desirable. I personally am an avid forager/botanizer and enjoy finding all the ingredients I need for any recipe and even certain dyes using these skills, but I do get how those not willing to take the time to forage want to be able to plant items instead. So I am a bit torn on this one. Perhaps there is a way to make foraging more worth while in other ways? I just would really hate to see these skills nerfed!

I dont mind the other herbs because at best they are used to tweak recipes with affinities

Cocoa beans are required for the only cookable recipe that uses DFM, and as such are required to grind that skill reasonably fast, and basically at all past 50-60.

Either add more DFM recipes or let cocoa beans be harvested by planters. Adding artificial value to foraging by restricting cocoa to it is just going to end up in frustration on all sides- and foraging isn’t a skill that really needs any inherent “value” anyways. Its an early game skill for grabbing the first bits of resources that for some reason has not one but two skills attached to it- it’s as redundant as milling and milking.

The argument about DFM sounds reasonable, but not so much for cocoa being accessible by mass farming, rather for more and more complex DFM recipes. I am not sure how high the minimum ql requirement for cocoa/chocolate for DFM will be. As to rum, this does not even need higher ql cocoa/coconut as the fermented and distilled rum will ripen in the barrel. Therefore the stuff could be bought even from lower level foragers.

• Like 1