Sign in to follow this  
Nomadikhan

Fighting in 3rd person you don't always face the right direction

Bear with me, going to butcher my way through explaining this.... if I even can.

I have been out hunting for a good while in 3rd person, took quite a bit longer then I thought to finish med wood shield from 68.5 to 70 but didn't think about it (4 hours roughly).  I changed  to Small metal shield, starting out the grind at 2.76.  I was 3x in that from a death many years ago.  I have quite a good cast of CoC, 92 and always train combat with Sleep bonus ON.  I am 11 in knowledge and gain +25% in skillgain.  After nearly 2 hours of fighting, I attained an epic small metal skill rating of just over 14.25.... not even a full 12 points.   It's at this point I looked back and noticed I'm not even hardly gaining overall Shields skill, not for a good while, it doesn't even seem I have been blocking as my shield has been at 0.000 dmg for some time.  I assumed it's the weird oddity where I need to take off my shield and regear it.. nope, still same, I continued for another 15-20min and might block and/or gain small metal or shields skill once in 3-4 mobs.

It's at this point I entered a cave and the camera starts playing wonky, because of the ceiling close to ground layer.  I am facing forward looking into the cave entrance in front of me, and change back to first person and BAM I'm looking directly behind me outside the cave.  I turned my camera and faced forwards, didn't think anything more of it.   I then cleared the small mine of 2 scorpions and 1 troll and in doing so gained just over 2 points of small metal shield skill and regularly got ticks in overall shields again.  I've continued fighting for the last 20-25min and am still getting ticks, i'm now 16.5 small small metal shields.

I guess what I'm saying is at some point in 3rd person even though my camera is facing forward the game/server has me facing backwards, hence i've not been blocking and/or gaining any skill.   I haven't been able to reproduce it, it's my second time doing much of anything in 3rd person really.

Anyone had this happen?

• Like 1

I can reproduce this, sort of.. randomly looking around and changing from 1st to 3rd, over and over sometimes I am not always facing the same direction as I was before when changing.  I can be in 1st and look to the right, zoom out to 3rd and be looking right, zoom in to first and i'm reset to looking forward.

Edited by Nomadikhan

dont think its a bug. i personally noticed that in the first 15 minutes of gameplay when 3rd person mode was implemented. even your character looks like its facing the opponent, it actually looks where you look with the camera in 3rd. basically, even you fight in 3rd you still have to look directly into the mob and not free looking around as that equals as if you fight in 1st person and just look around while turning. wurm 3rd view is just offsetting the camera away from your head (1st view), everything else is the same as if first person

3rd person is great for digging but not for fighting.

You never know which direction you are truly facing.

• Like 1

You're facing the direction the character faces, not the camera. It's not a bug per se.

I don't see a good fix for this except perhaps auto-rotating your character towards the opponent? But that's not ideal.

The camera when zoomed in doesn't rotate your character, so it faces the same way the character faced when you switch to first person from third. Not a bug either, but perhaps not too intuitive.

• Like 1

it should rotate your character just like in first person and other games or an option in settings you can set so it does that 

2 hours ago, AlmostSolitude2 said:

it should rotate your character just like in first person and other games or an option in settings you can set so it does that 

Not sure this is the right solution.  One of the big draws to the third person view is the whole wurm selfy thing.  In this case you want to face the front of your character.  

In most mmos turning the camera with right click turns your character, turning with left click turns only the camera and leaves the character. 

The issue I have is I can fight multiple mobs in 3rd person without ever getting a single shield skill tick.   When I press 'P' and go back to 1st person, I am now looking behind me, not in front of me where the mob is, and so I turn myself around and BAM I start getting skill ticks again.

Something isn't right...

When you're on a horse your facing direction doesn't matter for combat blocking etc you always face the exact same way the horse does even if you look somewhere else, third person wouldn't change this, nor would it physically rotate your character if you're on foot.

the first 10 points or so of shield skill suck because you need to block to get skillgain and you can't block without skill, that's just how the skill works. fight a weak mob with a high ql shield without a weapon for 10 minutes to get it up.

Edited by Oblivionnreaver

When your in 3rd person.. and your horse is pointing at the monster... and your head is pointing at the monster... and you get no shield related ticks at all...

but you change back to 1st person and you are facing the butt of your horse... and you turn your self around to face the mob... and all a sudden you start getting shield related ticks...

I don'tknow how else to explain it... something is wrong...

I now have 25+ in small metal shield, and can even now, reproduce this every time I try.  It's a thing.  I'm not just whining because of low skill.  I can do this with large metal shield that I have 70+ skill in.  I can do this with every other shield.  It's not tracking properly.

I've played in 1st person for 9 years, will just stay with that.

Edited by Nomadikhan

Please fix this. Archery on horseback is not do-able in 3rd person mode at all. It always says you’re not facing target. It is NOT the direction the model is facing. If I have my horse, character model and camera all looking at the target it still fails. Also dropping stuff puts it in the wrong direction (indicating the real direction is different). I haven’t tested enough to see if there’s any logic to the bugged direction. Is the server just not getting the memo of directions you’re looking while in 3rd person? I play mostly in 3rd person and like to do archery, but it’s annoying to have to swap back to first for it.