Sign in to follow this  
Eyesgood

Pre-Steam QOL Suggestions from the Players

I would like to make some QOL suggestions for the dev's consideration before the launch to Steam.  My suggestions are aimed at rage-quit prevention.  Maybe others would like to offer up suggestions as well.  

1. For the Steam server, if a new player dies, let them spawn back at their original spawn location WITH ALL their inventory until maybe they reach 21bc??  It will be very discouraging for steam players to have to go find their bodies to get what little precious gear they made/purchased due to death.  Instead, most will instantly rage-quit.  That is not something they would be used to from other MMOs.  Once they reach 21bc, maybe they get a message indicating this special protection has expired.
  2. Turn on the Close Tutorial button for the first-time spawned toon.  It doesn't appear the very first time the toon spawns into the game.  Some are not going to be patient enough for the long tutorial.  They will not know to type /skiptutorial and it is annoying to not see the HUD until then.  Again, another rage-quit possibly.
  3. Make the first-level, third-person view the default view in settings.  It will be much easier for new players to identify and players coming back will be instantly surprised by the change and probably want to explore other recent changes to the game.
  4. PLEASE decrease the minimum timers by at least half.  New players will see multi-minute-long timers and the first thing they will do is quit.  Games aren't supposed to have multi-minute timers anymore.  This is the 21st century.
  5. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, no more Xanadu-sized maps.

I will leave off and let others have some ideas to share.

You don't have to neuter wurm down to "easy mode" to retain players. 

Some people, like myself, only stuck with the game because it actually challenged them. 

• Like 3

4 - just have it be a fully PvE server with Epic rules similar to how JK-H was back in ancient times.

I like the idea... but with a small twist.. some might not like..

Let any PREMIUM on PVE keep their inventory and arrangement in it.. as it is... priests of certain faith at certain favor.. do keep their stuff at 100 or 50% chance or whatever of that kind... 
Bottom line.. it's a subscription game.. if somebody pays, do not annoy them with this - gives non-subs another reason to subscribe.

Yea... give the tutorial an easy way to escape from it's training wheels.. it's a game promoting no questing.. and tutorial is the utmost annoying thing of the game.

Unsure about defaulting 3rd person.... could instead add to tutorial like in any other game... movement and item equipping etc.. tips to learn the basic controls to manage things in the game or player's inventory.

Timers... maybe a good idea to pop 1-2sec less for new players... and maybe gratis... new player bonus of -x sec per action.. for the first month of the server's opening; later on... making alts with newb action timer reducing might be op.. but who cares I guess.. we've seen way worse things..

lol.. sadly.. if you start a new server.. and it's only one... you'll need at the very least an indy or xana sized server... or be READY to quickly open and link a 2nd PVE server...(imagine a good rng.. and 1000/+ players on a small sized map... there will be 2/+ in local is a good recipe for griefing and people annoying each other..

Moved to Suggestions.

1. I disagree, I think it's fine the way it is. 

2. Agreed. While tutorials are useful, forced tutorials drive me out of my mind.

3. Disagree, however I think third person should be mentioned in a tutorial so people are aware it's an option.

4. On the fence about this, it would cause issues if/when the rest of the servers are merged to the steam server.

5. Strongly agree.

1. No. Keep as is, you are new, you die, it happens, that’s the game

2-5 Completely agree

I do agree with new players keeping gear on death till 21BC, i anguish when i see them get killed over and over trying to recover their body from Mobs they have no chance in hell against.

• Like 3

What i think above all is needed is a good up to-date video tutorial(s) That also includes mid/end game content. This would give new players a change to play alone side returning vets, before they take over the server/markets. 

Side note:  tutorial(s) need to be tailored to pve or pvp.

I'm only saying this because I've seen this time and time again. A new player just learning to play the game. By the time they figure out whats going on. The server is owned already. then they rage quit, because they feel they can not contribute/compete.

9 hours ago, Eyesgood said:

I would like to make some QOL suggestions for the dev's consideration before the launch to Steam.  My suggestions are aimed at rage-quit prevention.  Maybe others would like to offer up suggestions as well.  

1. For the Steam server, if a new player dies, let them spawn back at their original spawn location WITH ALL their inventory until maybe they reach 21bc??  It will be very discouraging for steam players to have to go find their bodies to get what little precious gear they made/purchased due to death.  Instead, most will instantly rage-quit.  That is not something they would be used to from other MMOs.  Once they reach 21bc, maybe they get a message indicating this special protection has expired.
  2. Turn on the Close Tutorial button for the first-time spawned toon.  It doesn't appear the very first time the toon spawns into the game.  Some are not going to be patient enough for the long tutorial.  They will not know to type /skiptutorial and it is annoying to not see the HUD until then.  Again, another rage-quit possibly.
  3. Make the first-level, third-person view the default view in settings.  It will be much easier for new players to identify and players coming back will be instantly surprised by the change and probably want to explore other recent changes to the game.
  4. PLEASE decrease the minimum timers by at least half.  New players will see multi-minute-long timers and the first thing they will do is quit.  Games aren't supposed to have multi-minute timers anymore.  This is the 21st century.
  5. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, no more Xanadu-sized maps.

I will leave off and let others have some ideas to share.

1. Neither agree or disagree. This would make game TOO easy. However not dropping items while newbie buff seems fine to me. Once newbie buff puffs, then you will lose items normally. 

2. Agree

3. Don't see any point in this.

4. No, but also I think that steam kids should start at 20 skill.

5. No. You dont like huge maps, others loves them. Give steam kids both to choose.

• Like 1

Vjj8c1L.png

Make the crafting window have all types of walls in them not just a few

Considering the game does not offer you your REAL time location on the map and place where you died, then YES, please help newbies find their corpses easier.  I find it a bit too "extreme" in hard core mode that you die, lose your items which makes the journey to recover your corpse even harder.  And if you got mauled by a group of trolls even better. 

I dont know if you still lose your compass now if you die, but if its still the same mechanic then yeah how is a newbie going to know where to go without one.

And this is coming from someone that enjoyed hard core wurm survival on epic when I first started. (running from trolls, corpse running every day, etc.) My advantage was that I actually enjoyed memorizing the map but I can understand how people can quickly lose their way due to so many details. After all, how can you know where you died when you don't even know the server in the first place?

I can count about 40-50 situations from memory about people desperately trying to locate their corpse and requesting help from others.

+1 Add as QoL improvement either 5x Free Recall Corpse or keeping their inventory when they die.

On 2/5/2020 at 4:08 PM, BDCKoolaid said:

You don't have to neuter wurm down to "easy mode" to retain players. 

Some people, like myself, only stuck with the game because it actually challenged them. 

i bought the game time/10 silver package from the store and had my items eaten by a goblin in like 2010.  it's sad to think about.

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2020 at 8:55 PM, ArthurHawkwing said:

I do agree with new players keeping gear on death till 21BC, i anguish when i see them get killed over and over trying to recover their body from Mobs they have no chance in hell against.

There is a possible tutorial solution to this:

Tutorials:

"How To Run Away I" which teaches about movement speed on roads, slopes, etc.

"How To Run Away II" which teaches about how to do a corpse run, by aggroing the critter that killed you and running away until you lose them.

"How To Run Away III" which teaches about how to do a corpse run by aggroing the critter and then running away a while until you can jump in water and swim to escape the critter.

"How To Run Away IV" which teaches about how to do a corpse run by aggroing the critter and then running away a significant distance, then letting the critter kill you and camp the empty corpse, rather than the corpse with your useful gear.

It could be made into a fun "Groundhog Day" type experience.  Three tutorial corpse recoveries at NO experience loss will teach the basics required for newbies to get their stuff back from pretty much any critter.

On 2/6/2020 at 11:55 AM, ArthurHawkwing said:

This exact thing is what nearly made me give up the game, and from what I have read of other early experiences I am not exactly Robinson Crusoe in that respect.

well hellhound comparison of walking speeds means you are basically screwed if you on a grass tile no matter what you do.  my experience is that the main major thing that saves you when a mob is spamming moving in to attack when you are running away, is that the mob kind of forgets what it is doing and decides to make tea.  this is if you can time your stamina regen. 

new customers getting silver eaten really seems to me like something that should not happen.  it's going to happen but it should be mitigated.  i've found so many deathpiles and i just feel bad about it.   

i'm an advocate for making the path to getting utmost items as difficult as possible as to make endgame accounts special, but this is one of those things that does not really factor into it.

some players make the conscious decision to climb out of the primordial ooze on chaos but this is for a different type of player.

Edited by Johnston3

Most games have a mechanic where any mob chases you up till a point then goes back to its original point.

Wurm however is the polar opposite. A mob will chase you till the ends of the earth. I still have flashbacks of a dragon chasing me all throughout desertion from the South side of the map up till the starter town where I took shelter.

Newbies will find a troll or hellhound will chase you relentlessly and when they recover corpse they'll most likely be unfortunate enough to see the same hell hound chasing them again. If they are lucky they can use a guard tower to save themselves.

On a large cart the situation is no better. Their standard speed will be around 10-12 kmph and almost any mobs will be able to keep up with them. So yeah, anything that reduces the tedium of dying over and over to recover your items is a neccesary mechanic.

give them enough karma from start for at least 3x summon corpse