Sign in to follow this  
ArthurHawkwing

Locks and Decay

Abandoned buildings?

10+ months and I've had a house on my perimeter no ones logged into, no ones visited, it's decaying, but 'extremely' slowly on Xanadu (<5 dmg), infact, my area is littered with abandoned wagons, carts, hives, bsb's and locked junk that has barely taken any damage.

Perimeter decay/off-deed decay is horrendously slow. Changing locks to 'fall off' at 10QL means another year or two at least before I can get these abandoned eyesores out of my view distance and then I can proceed to move these vehicles or bash these buildings out of sight, or drain my fatigue/mental levels down on a massive 3+ month bashing session or paying for someone else to come erupt, it's seriously not funny, even more so when random vehicles appear on my peri who no one ever comes back for.

The maps are riddled with the reminders of player abandonment of the game that can take months, years to clean up. Asking a GM to move a ship 50 tiles down the beach for you to continue staring at it from a distance doesn't exactly solve the problem that continues to sit there 1~3+ years.

If the owner hasn't logged in in 1+ months, the locks fall off, everything that is not within that players owned deed that belongs to that player, either poofs into oblivion or loses it's protections entirely. (I couldn't give two-rocks about what's in these building(s), or bsb's, or hives, I just want them gone). I'm talking vehicles, houses, bsbs's, hives etc.

There has to be a reasonable cut-off point for off-deed protections: If you can't login once a month, find/earn/buy coin (especially now when it's easier than ever to play free) and protect it, then lose it. It's not an unreasonable expectation:  once a month a quick login to prevent losing your stuff if you truly care about it.

I understand that you do not like looking at things that other players built.  Why not build a fence to block your view of said items.  Most ships are parked off deed.  Folks would be highly po'd to come in to find them gone just because you hate looking at them.

On 2/15/2020 at 4:46 PM, Pashka said:

I understand that you do not like looking at things that other players built.  Why not build a fence to block your view of said items.  Most ships are parked off deed.  Folks would be highly po'd to come in to find them gone just because you hate looking at them.

I should just surround my entire deed with a huge ugly palisade? No thanks.

It's not just ships that are a problem, there's tons of abandoned vehicles, buildings, secured things that cannot be removed and take up to 3 years to decay. It's redonkulous.

[00:39:21] A rack to store crates. The crate rack has been firmly secured to the ground by Chulirac. You can barely make out the signature of its maker, 'Chul.r.c'. Ql: 60.5193, Dam: 0.0.

10+ months without protection, off deed: This is the problem with trash, the decay system isn't cleaning up properly. It's barely even active especially on Xanadu.

Edited by Drathania
Update

Everyone has had great thoughts on this, and sadly it looks like WURM will stay trashed and messy. The DEVs as usual ignore nor comment on this thread. There has been suggestions and solutions offered. Most ships decay so slow that a player can log in once a month and repair them. if they are too lazy to do that then, waaaaa, if you come back and you ships gone. WURM and all the abandoned trash just reminds me of how we trash earth and do nothing about it. Same problem here in WURM.

• Like 1

Can't wait for new steam servers to look like garbage dumps once people quit and you see 100s of large carts abandoned everywhere.

Seriously though, there needs to be a tutorial bit where it says "Your items are your responsibility. If you log off for an extended period of time, anything that's not in your inventory can be subject to decay or loss of ownership.

I get the devs are in overdrive with the new steam launch, but seeing a Constant reminder of player quitting and abandoning things is demoralizing. It's a constant reminder that player won't come back (at least not for a long period of time if ever) but the ramifications are his stuff will litter an area unless you deed it. It's a reminder of how many people quit the game and left a mess behind, mostly unintentional. Do you think that has a positive or negative influence on overall player experience? 

As someone who had to see most of deeds, buildings and items slowly decay on being abandoned on Desertion I can assure  you it only has a negative impact on a player. A player that starts out on a server and sees nothing but ruins gets only one message : This game is abandoned.

This is a core issue of Wurm gameplay that hasn't been addressed for a long time, like many others. I really wish we'd get some developer feedback on this and not some generic answer that sounds like "We're looking into it".  Even something like "No, it's not in the development plan right now" is better than the former reply.

• Like 2

I feel a bit split on it. It'd be one thing to find the occasional ruin, despite them being barely interactable on PvE, it's still cool to think that someone lived there and do some archaeology to find out who. I'll miss that sort of history on SWO. But when it's nothing but ghost towns, ships that even Davy Jones wouldn't want to have, carts that haven't moved in ages...it really drives home the notion that you're playing an MMO solo in the current state, and at some point you wonder "Why even bother?"

Granted, this is a problem with the playerbase quintessentially. But the way property is handled in this aspect does nothing but exacerbate the problem. The game should primarily be for those who play, not those who may return.

And no, the irony of me saying that isn't lost on me. I'm saying this not as someone who will come back when Xanadu is cleared out - I gave up on Freedom, full disclosure. I'm saying this remembering what it was like using the PoI random teleport seeing just about every place possible on Xanadu and finding nothing but looming reminders of past glory.

• Like 1

On 2/6/2020 at 4:45 PM, gorgian said:

if a player doesn't look in in 30 days "with prem" the animal drop the care for buff. 

Don't even joke about that.

Some of us have spent years looking after animals in wurm cared for across a small handful of alts who aren't all premium all the time, and taken over feeding and grooming of a cared-for beloved horse or champ for friends or allies who are stepping back from Wurm for a time. That would be a massive kick in the teeth for no real gain, and would take away animals from people who have put a lot of time and skill-grinding and money in to making sure they get to survive.

I'm not averse to faster decay on carts, boats and wagons when their owners haven't logged in for 3 months, or to locks dropping off when the item effective ql falls below 10, but build in a mechanic whereby horses can then be unhitched by anyone - don't mess up a whole other system just to implement this one.

• Like 2

Yeah I wouldnt' remove animal care ability. I understand the emotional attachment people have towards in game pets, especially the ones that have been alive for years. I recently lost my 2 year ol' horse on Deliverance. Killed by a spider. * Sobs *

Caring for should be a permanent thing unless a player uncares for a pet.

This is mostly about long term garbage piled up by people quitting the game which significantly contributes to a negative player experience. Simply put, I'd like Wurm to not look like some eastern european trainstation (i'm from EE) where you find every garbage possible on the train tracks, in the station and all around it.

Found a nice place to deed but there's an abandoned caravel right where you'd want to plant your token? Too bad. Find another place. That's the issue that needs to be addressed. A general approach to solve abandoned things. By defition, abandoned things should not have an owner attached. Wurm monitors playtime and for how long a player hasn't logged in anyway. Why not code a mechanic connected to that?

• Like 1

True, I don't want the horse care thing changed at all. I have some horses I have found roaming wild cared by folks who don't play anymore and its nice to have them around. Only thing I want to see changed is the way things decay, just a simple code change to have locks fall off a vehicle/vessel at 70 damage. Plenty of time for people to login and repair things every couple months, longer on ships as it seems they take close to a year or more. The lower quality vehicles laying around will decay much quicker, and likely those owners are gone. gone.

This all ties in neatly with the other thread on the illegality of mayors having lockpicking ability on deed on containers.

All items consume server resources.  if it gets polled for decay etc, that's an item that is using CPU time.   If it's a container (ship, cart etc), the items within consume server resources that have to be paid for (especially in an AWS type scenario).   Each item may only consume a nanosecond, but the cumulative effect isn't trivial server wide.  The faster a poll can complete, the smoother gameplay is for everyone.

Deed upkeep in essence buys server horsepower and affects the bottom line of the development company.

The owner of an abandoned item loses the right to protect that item when they stop contributing to a smooth gaming experience for the rest of us by not paying anymore yet consuming server resources with their items. 

Give mayors the ability (or allow them to assign the role) to lock pick on deed on items that have not been accessed/opened with x period of time. 

The fact that people will place deeds just to claim containers is a feature, not a bug of the system.  Placing a deed requires coin.  With the removal of RMT, coin comes through the official store.  The purchase of that coin, used to buy deeded tiles pays for server/networking costs.

Edited by Ikeprof