Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

The Future of RMT in Wurm and Price Reductions

2 hours ago, Encrtia said:

The problem with RMT, is that the act of depositing money within a game (buying coins from player/system), then withdrawing it (selling coins to players[/system]), effectively turns it into a bank. Criminals funding their cartels from the proceeds of in-game sales, or cleaning money through the game itself, are now the responsibility of the Game Developers who're facilitating it, thus legal action can be taken should they ignore it due to a) thinking it's fine by ignorance & b) not having satisfactory prevention systems in place. Obviously, the levels are presently marginal so no one cares, but Steam care. And if Wurm joins Steam for marketing/exposure, we have to care because they need to fulfil their regulatory obligations.

So although I don't really care about this, & black markets will exist anyway (how stringently cracked down on is a different matter guys... unless you're literally slapping it in their face, an UO/EA blind eye will probably occur...), the rationale makes sense. A game developer is more likely to lose money from the fines incurred from allowing a criminal exploit to fester as opposed to the lost revnue from RMT itself - it's primarily a legal concern. At the end of the day, the move to Steam is to increase Wurm enjoyability (& revenue) by increasing the player base (alone, hence the Silver price reductions) - surely that's the real appeal of a game over making pocket change. The same as a kid throwing a few punches gets a scolding, but as an adult gets prison time for the same act, Wurm is no longer able to get away with being a kid - it has Adult responsibilities now, joining the big league with Steam.

NGL I thought bringing up money laundering was pretty damn wild at first, but you make a surprisingly good point about liability and accountability by third parties. It's easier for Steam to handle their multitude of games by telling them to stay away from that cluster###### that is RMT rather than relying on every individual party of them to do their due dilligence.

Some may consider it lazy on their part, while I'm erring more on the side that dealing with this on Steam's scale is rather untenable. It's not ideal but understandable (generally speaking, I still think RMT for Wurm was not a healthy choice overall)

Personally I think it is not a good idea to throw AML into the debate. The AML hysteria is widely about geopolitics (full spectrum dominance) and big brother style mass surveillance and curbing civil freedoms by removing cash. Apologetics are misplaced, and such controversial stuff should be hold off forum debates. Insofar phrases like "Wurm is no longer able to get away with being a kid" are mere propaganda and inappropriate. Rolf and CCAB made an absolutely grown up and defensible decision when allowing and even encourageing RMT. Withdrawing it now has to do with the changed economic situation and the need to join steam. As I wrote before, CC/GC had not much negotiation leverage about Valve's contract conditions, so they had to sacrifice RMT for the right decision to join steam.

That is all. RMT was not liked by everyone, but it was a legitimate albeit bold choice by Rolf and CCAB. And it worked for quite a time.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Ekcin said:

Personally I think it is not a good idea to throw AML into the debate. The AML hysteria is widely about geopolitics (full spectrum dominance) and big brother style mass surveillance and curbing civil freedoms by removing cash. Apologetics are misplaced, and such controversial stuff should be hold off forum debates. Insofar phrases like "Wurm is no longer able to get away with being a kid" are mere propaganda and inappropriate. Rolf and CCAB made an absolutely grown up and defensible decision when allowing and even encourageing RMT. Withdrawing it now has to do with the changed economic situation and the need to join steam. As I wrote before, CC/GC had not much negotiation leverage about Valve's contract conditions, so they had to sacrifice RMT for the right decision to join steam.

That is all. RMT was not liked by everyone, but it was a legitimate albeit bold choice by Rolf and CCAB. And it worked for quite a time.

"Don't play game and discuss politics.. it drops your fps.." I agree

"right decision to join steam" we're yet to see if that was anything near right;

instead of having a bit better thought solution, we're just scratching the steam lotto ticket, lets hope there's new 1-2-5-10k online number on that scratch card.

Nobody can make me believe wurm couldn't just split worlds and keep old cluster as it was.. for years to come... and have a completely new one on steam where rmt is a no-no, while nothing like last priest and rmt changes bled into the existing world with *actually unsure how much history ~10-15year old so far?*

i'll pass on the comment about economic changes.. just don't want to get me started on explaining how much things have changed for players and the game.

Results from last changes still hurt the game and will doing that in the next 2 weeks, than a few more will quit for one reason, and even more will quit the main cluster to just start over on steam side.

I do not think any of that is a good result of any decision for changes into the game.

• Like 1

Silver sellers were costing Wurm money, plain and simple.

(I'll use $1 for 1s for simplicity's sake)

With P2P RMT:

• A needs 10k bricks, buys 10 silver to buy the bricks off B. CC has $10
  • C needs 10s to buy 10k mortar, buys the 10s for it off B at half the price.  CC has $10, B has $5.
  • C buys mortar off D.  CC has $10, B has $5.
  • D sells his 10s to E (who needs bricks) for $5.  CC has $10, B has $5, D has $5.
  • E buys 10k bricks off B who's been running a few free alts to cut them. CC has $10, B has $5, D has $5.
  • B goes off and sells those same 10s to someone else.  CC has $10, B has $10, D has $5.

Without P2P RMT:

• A needs 10k bricks, buys 10 silver to buy the bricks off B. CC has $10
  • C needs 10s to buy 10k mortar, buys the 10s for it off B at half the price buys 10s for it off the website.  CC has $20, B used his silver on ingame stuff.
  • C buys mortar off D.  CC has $20, B has more ingame bling, D has 10s.
  • D sells his 10s to E (who needs bricks) for $5. E needs 10s for bricks, buys them off website CC has $30, B and D have more ingame stuff.
  • E buys 10k bricks off B who's been running a few free alts to cut them. CC has $30, B (who now has even more silver) and D are off making more stuff to sell for silver.
  • B goes off and sells those same 10s to someone else. Someone else needs 10s and buys off the website CC has $40 for development and servers

So let's say this change made poor B and D quit..... A, C, E and "Someonelse" still need their bricks and mortar and whatnot and there are plenty of non-RMTers out there willing to make the mats and sell them so they'll get their stuff anyways.  Meanwhile, CC got more than B and D's subscriptions made them just in silver sales.

So yeah, tell us more about how this change is what will finally kill Wurm ^_^

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mordraug said:

So yeah, tell us more about how this change is what will finally kill Wurm ^_^

As much as I mostly agree with your point, I just want to point out that no players = dead game

This system also wouldn't do too much good if player numbers tanked a considerable amount after RMT removal

6 hours ago, Mordraug said:

So yeah, tell us more about how this change is what will finally kill Wurm

Might become harder to find people willing to be paid 1$ of non real money per hour of work without the legal option to cash it out... so no idea on the bulk market... but when I see the usual sellers leaving the ship and selling their accounts before it's too late... one might have some reasons to be afraid.

<insert everything is fine memes>

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mordraug said:

So let's say this change made poor B and D quit.

That depends on if B and D are feeding their families (IRL) by selling bricks, or they just need coins to fund their deed's upkeep.  If it's for upkeep, okay, go ahead.... hell I might even buy from them once or twice.  But the guy that spams trade chat every 5 minutes for three years straight isn't getting my business.  Said player needs to go find a real job.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Odynn said:

Might become harder to find people willing to be paid 1$ of non real money per hour of work without the legal option to cash it out

Its weird how you (and others) are making out that playing this game post RMT removal will be pointless, because there's no material gain.

[hyperbole]

Edited by cccdfern
  • Like 1

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

so am i allowed to transfer ownership of my account as long as my quid pro does not get quo'd?

edit: sorry i hate reading.

Edited by Johnston3

No.

Accounts cannot be traded, given, transferred or anything, for any reason 

Just a few remarks about silver sales player to player.

Silver in Wurm undergoes several stages: Creation, circulation, (re-)distribution, accumulation in thesauri, destruction. Only the first and the last one, and, albeit (mostly) temporarily, the second to last, add or substract from the amount of silver available.

The different coffer funds can widely be regarded as thesauri able/likely of returning into circulation no less than the bank accounts of players. They may, though, be used by the game administration to inject or reduce injection of ingame money (as a kind of "helicopter money" :) ). Anyway, new silver is practically exclusively created from silver purchase at the shop. And in the end, all ingame money gets destroyed by creation/upkeeping of deeds, and the different methods of spending ingame money at traders (ingame prem, contracts, orbs etc.). 

RMT silver sales never have been anything else than redistribution of existing ingame money. It is, to some extent, unavoidable in a maturing and aging game environment, that ingame resources, not limited to ingame money, tend to stack up at more experienced and better equipped players (generally those with more playtime available). The possibility of trading accounts, so holding high level accounts in game for extended periods of time, added to that. RMT silver sales gave (still give for the time being) a possibility to retrieve hoarded ingame money and make it available for circulation and destruction.

It is widely speculation how the removal of RMT will affect the ingame economy. Of course, bulk sales will be affected most severely, as here, mass trading by RMT suppliers has dominated the market. Such mass trade made it possible to maximize productivity by max enchanted/imbued rare/supreme tools, and different kinds of alts, sometimes hired ingame labour too. Customers of bulk may have to adapt to less fast services in the future, and possibly by dividing their demand among several smaller suppliers. Whether or not prices will go up is nothing less than sure as more suppliers also means more competition.

That the company will profit from more shop silver purchases is not clear as well. To some extent at least removal of RMT silver sales will slow down economic activities, so overall silver demand may be reduced. Whether or not that results in a net gain or loss is hard to say, but certainly the impact is not overly relevant.

TL:DR: RMT silver trade is not money creation

Edited by Ekcin
typo

4 hours ago, cccdfern said:

Its weird how you (and others) are making out that playing this game post RMT removal will be pointless, because there's no material gain.

Nah... I'm just pointing out that with those many changes some of you are currently enjoying, it might be the final nail in the coffin. At this point it's almost a coin toss... head or tail, sink or swim, take your pick.

We had an economy running for 14 years based on RMT... and Wurm crumbled down after wrong turns, bad choices and poor fixes. RMT was not the problem but tied some of the loose ends and kept players who invested time/money in the game playing... yes, i know many of you despise that INVESTING term, still a fact.

AML was mentionned above... go ahead and scroll... quite interesting for me since i came from a game (sooooooo many years ago) where all the economy was run by bots, hackers and others shady individuals... Wurm with its highly limited community would have never been able to launder large amount of money or get any interest for a blackmarket (seeing all was legit and going through the forum)... but if the steam lottery tickets bring in large amounts of players we might find the same trouble in Wurm. Tired of seeing the same guy shouting in trade about his wares? Wait to see bots doing that, every 30 seconds,  24/7... Non stop!

17 minutes ago, Odynn said:

Tired of seeing the same guy shouting in trade about his wares? Wait to see bots doing that, every 30 seconds,  24/7... Non stop!

Minor point, but wouldn't RMT exacerbate this problem further by making the trade even more lucrative to these players? Not really relevant to the points you were making but just something that caught my eye.

Either way, if, and only if, steam brings in so many players, Wurm will just have to move away from the archaic trade chat and do something auction house style. No automation of logistics whatsoever, you still contact the person yourself and arrange delivery/pickup, just a nicer interface to sift through what's out there.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ekcin said:

This is just ignorance. It doesn't matter how much of an adult you are, ignorance of the world is not a defence. Again, a small business (Wurm) does not need to worry with AML/CFT concerns because the money able to be exchanged is negligible, hence their decision was fine. The more money that goes through the system, however, will draw the regulator's attention meaning adult-decision-be-damned, you'll be fined if you continue. Wurm isn't at that level, but Steam is, which we're now joining under their license, as it were.

Your conspiratorial nature of throwing propaganda & big brother to undermine the reality is shameful, but this highlights the calibre of person I'm talking to, which means you'll never understand the reason for why big businesses make changes against what you like. As a private individual not running a big business, you simply have no idea of responsibilities. Geopolitics is a joke. AML/CFT are both a national & international effort that stem from a plethora of areas you simply know nothing of.

Again, Steam follows regulatory requirements, & Wurm needs to comply to if it wants to join the big league to attempt the marketing stunt. Big businesses play by the big rules. Hell if I know if it'll succeed, but we'll find out.

Edited by Encrtia
  • Like 1

Just my 2 coppers:

What I do not understand is why people expect to receive any financial compensation for playing a game. I mean: a game is a game, it's about having fun in your leisure time. It's not a job where you invest time and effort to earn your salary, nor is it a capital investment where you spend money, hoping to earn some profit! Playing a game is nothing you have to do; it's just a way to spend your free time. In that it's not much different from spending time with your friends in a pub - and nobody would expect the pub owner to give you some of your money back when you leave the place late at night after having fun, right? :)

I have the feeling that some players have forgotten that they are just playing a game. It's not about earning real money or even getting back part of their "investment". Just my personal opinion ;)

• Like 12

15 minutes ago, Yaga said:

Just my 2 coppers:

What I do not understand is why people expect to receive any financial compensation for playing a game. I mean: a game is a game, it's about having fun in your leisure time. It's not a job where you invest time and effort to earn your salary, nor is it a capital investment where you spend money, hoping to earn some profit! Playing a game is nothing you have to do; it's just a way to spend your free time. In that it's not much different from spending time with your friends in a pub - and nobody would expect the pub owner to give you some of your money back when you leave the place late at night after having fun, right? :)

I have the feeling that some players have forgotten that they are just playing a game. It's not about earning real money or even getting back part of their "investment". Just my personal opinion ;)

Not to be the CCO here as well, lol, but this' technically tax evasion & self laundering... unless we're declaring are additional incomes 😅 No different to having a full time job & renting a flat out - that flat is an additional income, & needs to be declared.

Ok, I'm gonna shut up now & join a village - I've got a hopeful prospect now so should be able start playing instead of just talking on forums haha

1 hour ago, Flubb said:

Minor point, but wouldn't RMT exacerbate this problem further by making the trade even more lucrative to these players? Not really relevant to the points you were making but just something that caught my eye.

Legal RMT or not... that wouldn't stop those people from making real money out of the game... the only difference is that the staff would be utterly understaffed and completely underwelmed by the amount of bots / accounts those people can make.

34 minutes ago, Yaga said:

I have the feeling that some players have forgotten that they are just playing a game. It's not about earning real money or even getting back part of their "investment". Just my personal opinion

A game where everything had value which was changed at a moment notice (cause what's a month over the whole wurm existence). In a game boasting about everything being player made because people SPENT time and MONEY making these... it's quite a shame to see those efforts being discarded, same goes for all the memories made along the way, friends who had left us and so on.

People think I'm focusing on RMT... i honestly don't give a damn about RMT... I care more about the traders that allowed me to keep some departed friends memory alive, the community landmarks (which were highly suggested and am now told to let them disband) and the few remaining friends I have in wurm.

And depending on what will happens in the next 14 or so days, I will leave nothing of value to the vultures waiting to pick the bones left of my invested time. God bless lava tiles!

Just now, Odynn said:

Legal RMT or not... that wouldn't stop those people from making real money out of the game

Fair point. Now that you say it, even GGG cannot seem to staunch the amount of spambots in Path of Exile. (Although I think they also just do a blatantly bad job at filtering standard bot messages. Makes one wonder...)

Perhaps it's just a neccessary evil for having any sort of economy in a game. I mean, staying stuck at effectively 200 players in an MMO isn't a great alternative. Not to say that you are suggesting that we should.

For starters in 2 weeks this amount of money( http://jenn001.game.wurmonline.com/mrtg/economy.html ) which had any value(still dropping), wont be worth more than a bit saved in your recycle bin on a pc/laptop kept and rusting in your attic.

That's just the fluid silver amount, there's no statistic how much people have spent on items in the game.

Investment.. whoever did invest anything more than premium time to get skills and experience the game to the fullest.. well none of that money have any return. ( a lot of people have invested a lot into hota statues and such, or dragon armor etc.. )

Upkeep provides permission enforcement and decay protection for whatever investment in time or money you've put on items you keep on your deed.... As long as you pay.. it's yours there... else why do you pay for it?( to enjoy walking on few tiles and examining them with a name?)

Keep telling me how wurm silver/money aren't an investment and how you aren't supposed to get it back, IF that have been the case for more than 10years and now with a coin toss, it's not anymore.
(I DON'T MEAN ANYTHING ELSE BESIDES THE FLAT FACT OF THAT)

We're using same currency that you pay real money for... and there's no other ingame currency to replace it.. making it actually pixie dust(2 weeks, we "fix" that).. you've had the euro/silver tied for years.

Bunch of people come and go.. sell when they go away and buy back same accounts if possible when they return or... buy new ones with similar or make-do skillset to be able to enjoy the game.. and not start with a new character.. being able to do... relatively.. nothing... and needed to spend countless days and nights grinding skills to just look at same slow action bars.. but at least.. be able to do something more..

"YOU claim wurm's going to die with no rmt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" 
- No.. have I? Have anybody? 0.o
People are just REALLY concerned/scared that none of last decisions have player/CUSTOMER's/ interest in mind... that's all.

Wurm have a GOOD history of dealing with problems the wrong way.. you have problem with 1 or 2, 3, 5 people - you change the game so nobody ever is able to do what they did, none of them get penalized, none of them gets banned(even as softban for a time).. but a new sketchy nerf is introduced and all suffer from the changes.
(happened more than 1-2-10 times.. it's kind of a wurm book of solving issues)
(I do not believe it's a good practice to penalize everybody when 1-2 rotten apples decide to use a glitch and not first report it asap(FULLSTOP))

Other thing is .. problems and promises take 2years to solve, lately with WU support dropped.. QoL changes did take only about 2 months at most to get into the game(or so it seemed.. from forum suggestion to reality).

Wurm STILL LACKS a person to solve economy issues of the game.

@Mordraug bricks/mortar/etc.. sure.. I'll spend 1-2 weeks 1-3hours a day chatting in GL-freedom and making such bulk materials... than sell them, than I WONT be having a reason to pay with IRL money for premium for a year(add upkeep money to that.. it's so ez to make these.. lets just pay for upkeep/premiums and a new supreme mpk wagon set to "worth" 400 silver)
How is that helping the game?

At that point.. I'm literally pressing 1 button, dragging a few items around and chatting for entertainment.. and I'm messing up the economy of bulk in the game with my higher than most masonry skill.

How is that helping the game, you think you have figured that removing 5-10-20 people that do this solves anything.. but old 'villains' just get replaced, nothing new.. there's a new open slot.. to be filled.

Could go deeper.. but that will lead to other changes(as for whatever reason lately somebody reads player feedback and REACTS to it..., EXCEPT... they read comments from people who cant see further than their nose.. and later the changes seep in for all other players regardless.. leading to the situation where .. 5 kids get really happy.. while rest just wonder what happened...

Do I give a **** about the RMT change? - not really; I never rmt'd (I do not like the change for other reasons)

• Like 2

oOOPH, I think Wurm just shot itself in the head.... RMT is a large part that kept wurm alive to this day. The steam release is going to fail because of the graphics. The player base from WU couldn't care less about a WO steam release. The games going to have mostly negative because next to no one is going to want to spend 90% of their MMO game standing in one spot trying get to skills up enough to  make basic tools and a 3x3 shack. If that was the case there would be a lot of players from steam playing the online servers instead of the exp increased WU servers. Lets be real, WU is 1% from being mixed reviewed on steam as is plus WU you guys say it is in beta. why after 14 years change one of the core attractions of the game that makes it stick out?

Edited by Ronnie
  • Like 1

On 2/14/2020 at 5:37 PM, Flubb said:

NGL I thought bringing up money laundering was pretty damn wild at first, but you make a surprisingly good point about liability and accountability by third parties. It's easier for Steam to handle their multitude of games by telling them to stay away from that cluster###### that is RMT rather than relying on every individual party of them to do their due dilligence.

Some may consider it lazy on their part, while I'm erring more on the side that dealing with this on Steam's scale is rather untenable. It's not ideal but understandable (generally speaking, I still think RMT for Wurm was not a healthy choice overall)

Money laundering in online games really does happen, but beyond that, the financial regulators of various countries require a lot of extra bookkeeping and rule compliance if they think your service can be used to move "real" money around between people and places. The most common way to avoid being classified like this is to not allow your virtual currencies to be cashed out. If you can't cash out then it's a one way street and you're fine. Wurm was probably too small to register on the radar of the regulators but Steam definitely isn't, and if a game is on Steam then Steam is involved in the financial side. And they really don't want to get stuck with the extra rules and regulations, so they ban this.

Here's an article with more details: https://massivelyop.com/2019/07/26/lawful-neutral-mr-krabs-wacky-bucks-and-currency-in-online-games/

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ronnie said:

oOOPH, I think Wurm just shot itself in the head.... RMT is a large part that kept wurm alive to this day. The steam release is going to fail because of the graphics. The player base from WU couldn't care less about a WO steam release. The games going to have mostly negative because next to no one is going to want to spend 90% of their MMO game standing in one spot trying get to skills up enough to  make basic tools and a 3x3 shack. If that was the case there would be a lot of players from steam playing the online servers instead of the exp increased WU servers. Lets be real, WU is 1% from being mixed reviewed on steam as is plus WU you guys say it is in beta. why after 14 years change one of the core attractions of the game that makes it stick out?

This right here is why i think steam wo is a waste of time energy effort and players

If people wanted to play a game like wurm while being on the steam platform they would play wu(wu's discovery is quite high when you own other sandbox games) but given the fact of how that game is faring you can tell the player market isnt there and even if for 2-3 weeks on end wurm was on the front page of steam for everyone and showed up everywhere it wont last sure an initial spike but once the reviews come in it will tank a lot and die out and become just like any other wo server or wu server even but hey all we can do is wait and see

As for me personally i find account sharing being gone just silly(free sharing with a small group that is) and rmt being gone is also silly no matter the reason its part of wurms dna you can hate it all you want but its what makes wurm wurm for quite a few people that chase for grinding away in hopes to some day make some money from your hard work is a nice goal to have for some

I just hope that gcg wont go "oh steam wo was a flop lets pull the plug and cut all funding and let it go" as that is a possibility where as if steam wo did great they might go "lets invest more into it" either way im just hoping for a new server where i can hopefully spend 6-12 months without it being connected to a other server so that i can grind and offer strongwall services and mining services and sell items at high prices so that when the day comes the servers connect i can disband move everything over and dump all that silver into upkeep so that i can have even more years on my deeds and even more lmc's (have a look https://i.imgur.com/x39cFzE.png ) and maybe get some more scale and drake sets after all they wont be worth anything much anymore at that point ;)

2 hours ago, Lisimba said:

Money laundering in online games really does happen, but beyond that, the financial regulators of various countries require a lot of extra bookkeeping and rule compliance if they think your service can be used to move "real" money around between people and places. The most common way to avoid being classified like this is to not allow your virtual currencies to be cashed out. If you can't cash out then it's a one way street and you're fine. Wurm was probably too small to register on the radar of the regulators but Steam definitely isn't, and if a game is on Steam then Steam is involved in the financial side. And they really don't want to get stuck with the extra rules and regulations, so they ban this.

Here's an article with more details: https://massivelyop.com/2019/07/26/lawful-neutral-mr-krabs-wacky-bucks-and-currency-in-online-games/

Exactly my point. Therefore, the rest of the arguments being thrown to & fro are wholly irrelevant.

• Like 1

its time to make wurm great again :D   im with group of players who goes play more interesting games....

On 2/15/2020 at 1:49 PM, Finnn said:

"YOU claim wurm's going to die with no rmt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" 
- No.. have I? Have anybody? 0.o

The next post kinda does lol.

And hyperbole aside, even as an "anti-RMT'er", I acknowledge that its removal may just kill it.

It did keep some players in the game, but RMT does not seem to have attracted enough players to keep the game afloat with this unique attraction, ultimately it just slowed Wurm's demise, but does little to stop it. So changes are prudent.

Wurm is placing its bets on different means of player retention now, and if those fail, it'll end up having nothing instead. It's a real possibility.

But I think judging the removal of RMT in a vacuum when it comes to the games vitality in a vacuum is moot, it's as @Ekcinsaid, this is only a compromise to join Steam, not because it'll be good for the game short or mid-term. The only tangible benefit of its removal that I see is that the Steam cluster will have a healthier character pool with a (more) natural "life and death" circle in the long term, but that's assuming that SWO will even last that long to reap those benefits. And there's the thing about incentives and the people it may attract, should one consider them unsavioury...

Edited by Flubb
superfluous word
  • Like 1