Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

The Future of RMT in Wurm and Price Reductions

Just to point out that Second Life and Entropia are basically bitcoin operations and money laundering places, and they show what happens when you favor RMT over making a great game.

• Like 2

Im gonna miss RMT in a way, because i have sold silvers for money in order to buy premium from store, buying premium from token aint the same thing, its more expensive and i think it needs tweaking. 

But, its still a good thing that it gets banned, since it can be used "wrong". 

• Like 1

My friend and I work crazy shifts and sometimes I log on his character and take him to a rift and set him up ready and vice versa. So all I need to know is, Will we be able to continue doing that or not.

35 minutes ago, Blaike said:

My friend and I work crazy shifts and sometimes I log on his character and take him to a rift and set him up ready and vice versa. So all I need to know is, Will we be able to continue doing that or not.

I suspect the answer is yes - it was noted before that having one trusted friend log into your account sometimes isn't the issue they're trying to address. Instead, they don't want accounts to be shared by large groups or by people who don't know each other very well. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Felthanne said:

Well...

Some of you know my name quite well, some of you don't.

My claim to fame is my infamous gem stash, back when I was on Indy.

Overall, this is going to change the way I play the game.

I am impartial on the account trading front, I would never do it, but I don't think other people should be limited.

The silver for cash though, is a negative for me.

Since 2014 (PayPal won't go further back than that in statements), I have spent a total of $6,724.50 on digital entertainment/video games, with $2,280.78 of that being straight from Code Club AB.

The remaining $4,443.72 was split between multiple different avenues, but  I reckon a good portion (~50%) was for silver or items in Wurm (based on names of who I bought from).

For someone who took about a 3+ year hiatus in that period, that is still a lot of money.

And FWIW, my biggest spending in Wurm was between '08 and '12, where I accumulated 280+ ktql of gems (at which I paid 2c/ql), of which almost all of that silver was purchased from 3rd parties or was direct gems = cash.

ALSO, when you pull your paypal statement, for that long of a period time, don't be drinking anything; I almost shot water out of my nose when I added up the total...

In conclusion, "There are good ships and wood ships, ships that sail the sea, but the best ships are the friendships, may they always be!"

Overall, I don't make the rules, but I will abide by them; I just feel that the captain of this ship took a wrong turn with this, in favor of short term fairer weather.

Sincerely,

Felthanne

I knew you as the gem buyer before I met you, during your hiatus. 

Rest assured you can still buy silver, just not sell silver. Once it's bought it can be traded as any way it used to be, just not resold for cash. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, elentari said:

It's a game. It's about fun, not money.

Well said! I am amazed how many people tend to forget this simple truth!

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Jerryc said:

Wurm Online on Steam when???

Rolf first said Q1/Q2 of 2020. Believe thats changed to "mid 2020" now.

37 minutes ago, Yaga said:

Well said! I am amazed how many people tend to forget this simple truth!

I've managed to play Wurm for 12 years (on and off) and not engaged in any RMT. If anything I've had more fun because of it. Everything I own is the result of work I've put in myself ingame, which I find more satisfying. If people can't have fun without RMT then I think that reflects the need for changes to occur ingame, such as reducing the barrier to entry in PvP or making it easier to obtain and train a priest.

• Like 3
  • Cat 1

Why cant they have a shop for trading and selling things in Steam like other games like Team Fortress???

I personally have 2 accounts atm and i may have 3 soon.but before march. Im content with paying prem for all 3 when i play. But i work in united kingdom. And i also travel sometimes to my parents in greece, or my other relatives in my own country that i wont mention in public:p 

Sometimes i may play from those places. Or even from a place i go just for one week holiday. What will be the view on that? 

But at least for one week or one month at a time my ip will stil be on the same general area. 

Any thoughts on that Retrograde?

18 minutes ago, Zerkael said:

I personally have 2 accounts atm and i may have 3 soon.but before march. Im content with paying prem for all 3 when i play. But i work in united kingdom. And i also travel sometimes to my parents in greece, or my other relatives in my own country that i wont mention in public:p 

Sometimes i may play from those places. Or even from a place i go just for one week holiday. What will be the view on that? 

But at least for one week or one month at a time my ip will stil be on the same general area. 

Any thoughts on that Retrograde?

You'll be fine

34 minutes ago, Nordlys said:

Rolf first said Q1/Q2 of 2020. Believe thats changed to "mid 2020" now.

Midd 2020 is Q2

34 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Midd 2020 is Q2

So april to june somewhere. Gotcha. :) 

On 2/2/2020 at 12:13 PM, Griffith said:

most governments have no laws that protect the disabled, much less any form of financial help from the goverment. even in developed countries its very difficult to find jobs for disabled people that arent menial or somehow demeaning. as a disabled person earning cash from wurm WAS possible for some in an entertaining way and i guess in a way that made them forget about their disabilities. and im really sad that this happened to wurm were it affected them this way.

I am a disabled person (hearing loss) that hasn't relied on government welfare and also have difficulties normal people wont have because they can hear what people say on a phone (which is required for finding work in 90% of the cases) where I can't which is the same reason I keep asking for cliffnotes for wurm streams that have news in them.   I still think the fact that people were using a video game for years to pay their bills and expecting game updates to favor their bills over actual fun is a joke that does nothing but ruin the gameplay.  The only issue I have with the whole update is removing silver payout from traders, which helped with keeping deeds in limbo waiting for an update that might bring me back fulltime or even partime, which I doubt the trader reduction in upkeep will be close to and just pushes me closer to giving up the last 1% of hope for epic and leaving it permanently.  Otherwise, removing account sales and ability to treat the game like a source of income is a long overdue change.

Don't be offended for someone you aren't.   I play games for fun.

• Like 17

On 2/2/2020 at 2:13 AM, Griffith said:

most governments have no laws that protect the disabled, much less any form of financial help from the goverment. even in developed countries its very difficult to find jobs for disabled people that arent menial or somehow demeaning. as a disabled person earning cash from wurm WAS possible for some in an entertaining way and i guess in a way that made them forget about their disabilities. and im really sad that this happened to wurm were it affected them this way.

a better argument i think would be to ask if wurm cares or not about how this change affected this portion of their playerbase. Rolf was always very progressive in his views about rmt and in game silver earnings. i guess its a new era since the ownership has "changed". im not sure exactly who the new "owner" is, but certainly the shift is clear.

edit: besides terraforming it was one of the very few things that made wurm different from most other games.

Might be the most forced, prejudiced and stupidest argument I've read in a long while.  

• Like 7

The right call for long term health. Now we just need to mitigate review bombing on Steam (my suggestion: market with humility and humour) and new life might be infused into Wurm. Also good call ditching player gods.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Lolabelle said:

Why cant they have a shop for trading and selling things in Steam like other games like Team Fortress???

This... I always been wondering why it was not the way to go for either CCAB directly or a potential steam launch. Keeping control of the RMT trade and getting a cut out of it.

I am one of the persons with disabilities playing Wurm, my 'beautiful' country is nice enough to give me an incapacity pension... but i cannot spend 10% of it on a game between the premium cost (good thing for the yearly price reduction, maybe not so much for the account sharing - priests for example) and the deed upkeeps. Specially in a game where the line of defense is DEED IT OR LOOSE IT... giving complete leeway to the griefers.

Hence the related specific topic for the traders here :

Spoiler

This matter for me is a question of staying or leaving the game... not one of making some money out of it, but saving 70€ monthly to keep fond memories made over my 10+ years old journey in wurm alive... and keep heritaged status canal landmarked.

As for the RMT it will all depends on how it will be enforced... I've seen bigger MMos fail at it and with a true plague of leechers and bots making money out of them. I'm afraid of seeing Wurm going down the same path... where a blackmarket will exist (maybe even on some former endorced by CCAB websites) keeping the big sellers and abuses still there while trully hurting the small times sellers who usually reinvested the money in the game.

With the late change on deities and the rework on priests (and the utter lack of an economy that doesn't entirelly rely on rare goods and high power casts)... I'd like to see some well defined lines on account sharing. I believe the idea is to prevent cornering the market with some high end ones used by large group of individuals... but what will happens for the people who share a priest from time to time for strongwalls or just some casts on their tools (time consuming activities you usually don't want to bother your friend who own the account with). Is 2-3 allowed and 5 - 8 forbidden?

On 1/31/2020 at 9:24 PM, Retrograde said:

Your account may be shared on a personal basis (i.e. a family member or a close friend) but sharing your account with multiple people will be against game rules

We could use more precise guide lines on the matter of "personal basis".

Lets hope those changes won't be a hit or miss situation and any further tweaks will allow Wurm to continue forward and not kill the remaining population.

• Like 4

I don't think that using the steam market would be a good idea. Then everybody would be forced to use steam for that and the money also cannot leave Steam. Isn't it just Steam that takes a cut, with CCAB seeing nothing from those sales? Why would we want to give more money to Steam instead of giving it directly to CCAB? I think the price drop on premium and silver is far more preferable to being able to buy/sell silver from players on steam.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Griffith said:

its fine. i wasnt forced and i stand by what i said. probably im stupid, who knows.

edit. lets imagine a world where people didnt get offended for what is done to other. how do you think it would work out?

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2016/12/18/504964701/how-is-the-world-treating-people-with-disabilities

Literally nobody here is suggesting we standby and allow the mistreatment of the disabled. Genuinely confused how you got there. Point is, you're arguing that the removal of RMT is a direct attack against disabled players who managed to make some side cash while playing the game. If someone is unable to work and instead has to rely on at home, online jobs then there are plenty of better ways to make cash. Being able to do so by playing a game is a nice thought, but impractical compared to other methods. (Hell, someone could play Wurm and complete MTurk jobs in a separate window if they wanted to.) It's a ridiculous argument.

• Like 3

the point that got me there was this comment on page 9 by Vooch. its where the whole crapstorm started. but who cares.

On 2/1/2020 at 2:48 AM, Vooch said:

DESTRUCTION OF THE WHEELCHAIR COMMUNITY
- I know many MMORPG friends and players that spend their lives in wheelchairs and we all know it's very difficult for them to get a job.  For many of them, Wurm has given them a new lease on life.  It has given them hope on improving their situation that those (with the same circumstances) did not enjoy decades ago.  MMORPGs allowed these people to make real cash by working in a game.  MMORPG games, such as Wurm, gave them an opportunity to make money in order to pay real-life bills (eg. food, water, shelter, medical, electricity, etc.) and these opportunities for the unfortunate are being cut short for corporate profits.

then on page 11 i think someone made this comment

quote"

If people are relying on a GAME to pay their BILLS they need to complain to their government, not the developers of a game. 

If you can get onto a computer to play video games enough to make a living, you can get any old office computer job.

Lame ######.

" end quote

then i came out with a different opinion on it, actually defending disabled people. and all hell descended on me. how dare i mention disabled people. i a non worthy individual meddle in something that doesnt concern me. and everyone started patting their own backs attacking me.  take it however you want.

MTurk lol. edit. completely wrong answer on my part. i must admit that after being called prejudiced and who knows what else i was a bit hurt to use a wurm analogy which made me miss the parry. i still need to work on my shield skills. but after taking a couple of bandages i appreciate that Jore was trying to contribute to the topic. So thank you Jore. i dont think MTurk would work because i have tried it. it was a hassle for me to sign up, and i live in California. imagine someone in a more difficult country trying to sign up. it also doesnt pay worth the time you put into it, dont believe the you tube videos. and lastly its not something you can really do multitasking for the reason mentioned before. i didnt try it because i needed it but because i surf you tube obsessively and try almost everything.

On 2/3/2020 at 6:59 AM, Odynn said:

Keeping control of the RMT trade and getting a cut out of it.

this is what i think the solution would be.

i think ive said all i needed to say. dont want to make it a back and forth.

Edited by Griffith

Just adding a random thought, but the very nature of wurm : long timers, waiting times, slow sailing, tedious wagon rides encourage a lot of us to keep other things open like youtube or a movie. Some even read books.

Others, from what stories I've gathered over the years also do freelance work while mining, tending crops, imping or sailing.

Just saying Wurm is probably the best game to both be invested in it, playing it semi-passive while also getting work done at the same time. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Griffith said:

its fine. i wasnt forced and i stand by what i said. probably im stupid, who knows.

edit. lets imagine a world where people didnt get offended for what is done to other. how do you think it would work out?

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2016/12/18/504964701/how-is-the-world-treating-people-with-disabilities

This would work out great as people won't be able to pretend that their motives when criticizing something are of charity.

You'd almost think this update was controversial with the amount of changes happening. 

• Like 2