Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

The Future of RMT in Wurm and Price Reductions

2 hours ago, Svartskard said:

To all the guys leaving; Can I has you worthless stuff? 

I would take the chars as long as it is allowed 😃

(That was just a joke, don't send me PMs.

... unless you are Cerberus or Herrfritz)

21 hours ago, Samool said:

None. We're taking into account that some people just play from various locations and/or have dynamic IPs given from the ISP, and this is nothing to worry about if you're not actually sharing the account with a group.

Thank you Samool for clarifying.

I play from home and my Paramedic day job (between call outs when time permits) and from motels, hotels when travelling for family visits and to conferences to keep up my education.

So my IP does change regularly each day (home to work and back) and occasionally further afield a few times a year.

Cheers! Hughmongus

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cheef said:

After reading first post second time I still didn't get exact unswer on a question about selling servise for real money.

For example: I provide panfilling service for people, making a lot of boring actions and will ask  to pay me with PayPal instead of silver.

Does such relations are forbidden on new rules?

Yes. Any time you provide ANYTHING in exchange for real money it's verboten, forbidden, not allowed, bad!

10 hours ago, Vooch said:

DESTRUCTION OF THE WHEELCHAIR COMMUNITY
- I know many MMORPG friends and players that spend their lives in wheelchairs and we all know it's very difficult for them to get a job.  For many of them, Wurm has given them a new lease on life.  It has given them hope on improving their situation that those (with the same circumstances) did not enjoy decades ago.  MMORPGs allowed these people to make real cash by working in a game.  MMORPG games, such as Wurm, gave them an opportunity to make money in order to pay real-life bills (eg. food, water, shelter, medical, electricity, etc.) and these opportunities for the unfortunate are being cut short for corporate profits.

If people are relying on a GAME to pay their BILLS they need to complain to their government, not the developers of a game. 

If you can get onto a computer to play video games enough to make a living, you can get any old office computer job.

Lame ######.

• Like 12

23 hours ago, Delacroix said:

Wasn't referring to you, which should have been obvious. I was referring strictly to the influx of forum accounts with <50 posts that I've never heard of praising these changes.

I read most stuff on the forums but hardly ever post because my view has already been stated by another or I have nothing to contribute; quoting a post and saying nothing is just spammy.

There are quite a lot of lurkers and like most games with a forum, the active portion are only a small percentage of the actual population. 

• Like 3

I saw a lot of overly complicated approaches to what's considered mass account-sharing and what isn't. The way I interpreted it was that:

• 1 or 2 people, doesn't matter what their IPs are, occasionally accessing the same character (for deed maintenance or whatever) = totally fine
  • You having a dynamic IP = non-issue as IP ranges are easy to spot. If you access the game from 216.3.128.12 one day then 216.3.128.16 the next, moderators will immediately be able to tell you have a dynamic IP range
  • 20+ different people from wildly different IPs (so one person from Chile, one from California, one from Ontario, one from Sweden, etc) accessing a single character within a very short time frame (let's say, I don't know, the time span of 3 hours) = warn/ban-worthy activity

Like others have said, moderators allowing account sharing is extremely rare nowadays, we're lucky its even allowed at all. I remember the days of tiptoeing around account sharing bans on other websites and have read countless stories where roommates or families get chain-banned because they dared to live in the same house together. It's absurd and its wonderful that us Wurm players don't have to worry about that. And I get it; we're adults and we have business to tend to in other countries or regions in our area. It's just that it would be impossible for you and your one or two other people sharing an account to travel from Sweden to Chile/Cali/Ontario/etc over the course of 30 minutes. "But those three people sharing the account may all travel frequently!" you might be thinking. Yes, but seeing an impossible amount of IP changes over the course of a long time puts a red flag up. Unless you really are traveling from Norway to Brazil to Japan to Jamaica to New York within an hours' time, in which case let me borrow your teleportation machine! :P 

Edited by Turnips
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Turnips said:

I saw a lot of overly complicated approaches to what's considered mass account-sharing and what isn't. The way I interpreted it was that:

• 1 or 2 people, doesn't matter what their IPs are, occasionally accessing the same character (for deed maintenance or whatever) = totally fine

Just to chime in on this part, when I asked in GL it was said this character sharing stuff is only aimed at people who aren't actually friends and the like sharing accounts. Basically not making an account alliance wide and giving just anyone access for example.

• Like 1

The amount of posts that have had to be hidden due to personal attacks against each other is increasing with every page. I know tensions are high with this but please do not stoop to insulting one another for having a differing opinion. 

• Like 15
  • Cat 1

4 hours ago, Alyeska said:

If people are relying on a GAME to pay their BILLS they need to complain to their government, not the developers of a game. 

If you can get onto a computer to play video games enough to make a living, you can get any old office computer job.

Lame ######.

most governments have no laws that protect the disabled, much less any form of financial help from the goverment. even in developed countries its very difficult to find jobs for disabled people that arent menial or somehow demeaning. as a disabled person earning cash from wurm WAS possible for some in an entertaining way and i guess in a way that made them forget about their disabilities. and im really sad that this happened to wurm were it affected them this way.

a better argument i think would be to ask if wurm cares or not about how this change affected this portion of their playerbase. Rolf was always very progressive in his views about rmt and in game silver earnings. i guess its a new era since the ownership has "changed". im not sure exactly who the new "owner" is, but certainly the shift is clear.

edit: besides terraforming it was one of the very few things that made wurm different from most other games.

Edited by Griffith
  • Like 8

This does'nt really change my dislike of the ingame economy.

It's still pretty much based on RMT. those with a lot of real life money can bye a lot of silver and buy the shiniest bling things. Only real change  is the monopoly on exchanging the RM to IGM. I never bought silver for deeds and bling but always payed for my two accounts with RM.

I never PVP'ed for the reason that if you can  just buy your way out of protecting your deed with RM if you have enough of that. how will hundreds of hours of skill grinding help the opponant bring it down.

Character sharing In some of my projects i have previously been offered to borrow peoples characters for free (or at least share cost bringing them prime). I was never asked to pay any rent. Still  I see preventing it as a good thing as it turns people towards playing online together (READ: Having fun together) instead of just exchanging passwords. 

I newer liked this RM economy of this game but have played it 9 years ( or 10 not sure 🙂 )  I would prefer a game where my high skill in something could be traded for something else.

A good example : whats the point in training mining skill above say 90 to be able to trade high grade ore for a good weapon if someone with RL money can buy a imbued runed pickaxe and provide the same at lower skill.  

Imagine the Champions league in soccer were you could buy extra goals for money ??   I would so much prefer to pay a bit extra for my chars and have a total virtual economy .

CC You made a fantastic game but with a economy  close to a lot of "time slot based" games in 2d called something with empire. Not sure if it that was your initial goal  to do it in 3D /Fps ( s= stabber)

P.S. I do'nt mind games were you can buy your self to a better chance of success, i just do'nt find them fun to play. And FUN is what i require from investing a lot of my time  in a game.

Edited by dl

I'm not fussed either way for banning RMT or account sales but I have a couple of concerns with the ban of account sharing;

1: Shared deed management alts are not uncommon, particularly for avoiding a single point of failure by having a succession of ownership in place. Depending on the deed, this might be accessed by enough people to run afoul of the rule.

2: The current design of the priest system, with core aspects of the game being disabled for (most) priests, channeling being a grind that feels like it needs multiple players hammering at one account to make good progress on (thanks to channeling nerfs over the years calling for higher and higher skill levels) and the desired abilities being split across 4 gods, makes it feel like it was designed -for- shared accounts. I feel like a more 'distributed' system where any character can access a couple spells (still have to grind channeling for enchant and combat spells, that should be limitation enough really) should be considered in the face of this ban.

i think traders should be returned to the original account that purchased it as a trader contract that can be replaced by that owner as if they had just bought it and all items and money reset

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Zamiel said:

I'm not fussed either way for banning RMT or account sales but I have a couple of concerns with the ban of account sharing;

1: Shared deed management alts are not uncommon, particularly for avoiding a single point of failure by having a succession of ownership in place. Depending on the deed, this might be accessed by enough people to run afoul of the rule.

2: The current design of the priest system, with core aspects of the game being disabled for (most) priests, channeling being a grind that feels like it needs multiple players hammering at one account to make good progress on (thanks to channeling nerfs over the years calling for higher and higher skill levels) and the desired abilities being split across 4 gods, makes it feel like it was designed -for- shared accounts. I feel like a more 'distributed' system where any character can access a couple spells (still have to grind channeling for enchant and combat spells, that should be limitation enough really) should be considered in the face of this ban.

So not true. I have my Vynora that I did the channeling grind to 91 ALL BY MYSELF in under two years. She also has benediction, which means 70 prayer without ever stepping foot off Indy. I also have a Mag and a Fo both pushing 60 channeling. They're both less than a year old, and will have benediction done about the time they hit 70 prayer (pushing 60 prayer right now).

Don't say it can't be done alone. 

22 hours ago, atazs said:

No more account sales?

About damn time! 

Shame its a bit too late at but it's a step in the right direction.

Good riddance.  

"better late than never" :)

Will the Steam version be using the premium model?

Will players still be able to convert in-game silver into premium time?

Forbidding RMT by players while keeping the cash shop selling silver turns the game into 100% P2W.

• Like 2
  • Cat 1

4 minutes ago, bdew said:

Forbidding RMT by players while keeping the cash shop selling silver turns the game into 100% P2W.

🤔

This argument makes no sense.  The only difference in now and then is instead of buying from players, you buy from the wurm shop.  You're still paying to "win" either way.  Also what does it even mean to win in wurm.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, bdew said:

That doesn't add up. Right now there are 2 ways to get silver with euro, the Wurm shop and RMT. Besides that you can earn silver in game. Cutting out one of the euro sources of silver doesn't make the game any more, or less, P2W.

On the other hand if we look at character sales, right now you can use RMT to buy a character, that's literally the closest thing to buying power in Wurm, so the closest thing to P2W we have. That's going away.

So looks to me like Wurm is becoming less P2W due to scrapping RMT because it's scrapping character sales along with it.

Edited by Ecrir
  • Like 4

20 minutes ago, Toma said:

🤔

This argument makes no sense.  The only difference in now and then is instead of buying from players, you buy from the wurm shop.  You're still paying to "win" either way.  Also what does it even mean to win in wurm.

16 minutes ago, Ecrir said:

That doesn't add up. Right now there are 2 ways to get silver with euro, the Wurm shop and RMT. Besides that you can earn silver in game. Cutting out one of the euro sources of silver doesn't make the game any more, or less, P2W.

On the other hand if we look at character sales, right now you can use RMT to buy a character, that's literally the closest thing to buying power in Wurm, so the closest thing to P2W we have. That's going away.

So looks to me like Wurm is becoming less P2W due to scrapping RMT because it's scrapping character sales along with it.

because yes you can now to p2w with money from your own wallet. but with rmt a person could do all that without putting money of his own into the game. i dont think that question has been answered yet, or maybe i missed it. like Sindusk just asked, can players buy premium with in game silver? if yes then it wouldnt be. if no the yes p2w even worse just for the mallers, only people who put money in.

Edited by Griffith

according to my paypal i spent over $3000 usd  on wurm.  buying accounts, deeds. trader deeds, mats to build with, tools, decorations, and silver over the first 6 years playing wurm. and only 400$ ish in the past 3 years, mainly silver and prem time.   i liked having the options. as i felt silver costs in the store was to high.  i use to get 100 silver for 100usd , then it changed to 160 eur. or 100 eur from folks selling. .  i'm really glad i sold my 15 traders when xanadu opened up. wanted to get out of spending my play time just traveling around to my traders and grinding the selling mats.  xanadu's no trader system helped me just enjoy the game.  so one hand sad to see the system go. but other hand will get us who stay , to play more and maybe play with others more too. time to trade.  

I can see a lot of folks leaving.  the game is changing a lot. but from what we had 10+ years ago vs now , change can be good. we will need to wait and see.  give it a chance, by end of summer, we should see UI changes and many other quality of life changes. 

steam allows the mmo's they have have micro transactions, so i hope we can still buy silver.  i also hope with the new lower cost of silver and prem time, maybe they will reduce the per tile cost of upkeep to the deeds.  I still also hop for a new server for steam. i love fresh starts. let it stay off the main cluster for 6 -12 months would be nice. 

• Like 1

premium can be purchased ingame with silver, that won't be changing.

Silver becomes something you can play for free with, not something you can profit irl with

• Like 7

45 minutes ago, bdew said:

You could skip the silver-part and pay for everything the game has to offer directly with euro/dollar all those years.

You could buy the biggest parts of lands, the best equipment, even the best characters for money, more P2W is not possible, so

your argument is complete rubbish.

Seems like even a picture from the crooked person on your avatar is bad for logic and common sense.

The only thing that changes for the P2W in Wurm is, that from now on Wurm instead of the Players will

benefit from the P2W.

Edited by Beewolf
  • Like 1
  • Cat 1

2 minutes ago, Beewolf said:

You could skip the silver-part and pay for everything the game has to offer directly with euro/dollar all those years.

You could buy the biggest parts of lands, the best equipment, even the best characters for money, more P2W is not possible, so

your argument is complete rubbish.

Seems like even a picture from the crooked person on your avatar is bad for logic and common sense.

The only thing that changes for the P2W in Wurm is, that from now on Wurm instead of the Players will

benefit from the P2W.

love you too man

The changes sound promising, but I'm gonna miss having the option to buy/sell silvers from other players though.

1 hour ago, Toma said:

🤔

The difference is that people could argue before that since you can sell your stuff for $ it's not "just" P2W, it's an investment/economy/whatever.

To me it's P2W either way, that's why i play WU (and don't run cash shop "donations" like some servers).

But now it'll be harder for people to argue it's anything but.