Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

The Future of RMT in Wurm and Price Reductions

16 minutes ago, Griffith said:

people keep saying the account buyers are detrimental and a nuisance etc. but those are the people that were the big spenders and kept the game afloat. i used to go to epic and make a lot of silvers just making arrows or whatever for those people who you disdain, and those trips kept me playing in freedom forever. that was always my goal in wurm, not making money, just to be able to play it for free. but guess what, i was playing for free, but those account buyers were paying it for me. wurm was profiting. either way. just like you can play for free in eve if you put enough time or brains into it. but theres no way to get the message thru. 

tldr. account buyers where keeping the game afloat

the game wasnt in good shape with population droping etc, and the new way to keep it alive today is steam.

• Like 1

Just now, heiro said:

the game wasnt in good shape with population droping etc, and the new way to keep it alive today is steam.

population wasnt dropping when i did that, epic was thriving and had wars every weekend. why do you think they needed arrows from me for good prices? i was doing that before your forum account started so i guess you have no reference to what im saying.

I think these changes will help the game finally attract & keep new players. I'll add my voice to those asking if we can have the ability to move our traders one time. Under the old distance rule I couldn't have a trader on my main deed & had to make a second deed to place him. With the 20 tile rule I think he could finally come home. 

• Like 4

population wasnt dropping when i did that, epic was thriving and had wars every weekend. why do you think they needed arrows from me for good prices? i was doing that before your forum account started so i guess you have no reference to what im saying.

Griffith character ingame was sold nov 16, 2015

Im talking about what the game is now Oo In steam we trust. Peace

Edited by heiro

20 minutes ago, heiro said:

Griffith character ingame was sold nov 16, 2015

Im talking about what the game is now Oo In steam we trust. Peace

i still have toons, in wo and the signature is to make it clear for people to not confuse my forum account with whoever is playing that toon if its even still active. people keep coming up with circular rationalizations but its a matter of years of nerfing and bad decisions and bad attempts at fixing a problem in one way when it could yes be fixed, but in another way, that has decimated the population. good luck in a very successful wo or steamwo.

Edited by Griffith
typo

2 hours ago, Chakron said:

Put your money where your mouth is, sell me your stuff.

sold it two weeks ago before this crap hit..

Edited by Ruiner

Tbh it's pretty discouraging for new players to come in and slave their lives away to catch up to people.  Whom have been here since before the dawn of time.  It'll create a massive pvp gap once again that will even deter more new players from entering.  Having to wait half a year while grinding vs buying an account to jump into the action.  There's a reason why pvp servers never gain any traction from people that actually want to play the game.  You either sink a ton of time or a ton of money into the game for usually little action.

Mean while yeah a lot of the older freedomers are going to enjoy it.  Now instead of people being able to pay for a decent character which could do their work in no time.  They'll be reliant on the Wurm established community even more to supply what ever their need is.  Now there will be a massive economical gap favoring the older players.  

There's a reason why people flocked to WO.  Burned out on all the content they wanted to do and never came back.  It's cheaper, more enjoyable, and they add in elements of QoL that Wurm desperately needed.  Baring people from cheaper long term options is going to crush the new player engagement.   I wish my friends luck who still play the game but a change like this means I'll probably never come back.  

Enjoy

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Ruiner said:

sold it two weeks ago before this crap hit..

If it makes you feel any better it’s not like they’ll be able to police the anti-RMT stuff in most cases.

it doesnt bother me a bit, i sold out because i was bored and started a new account for some challenge

Well it was clear this was coming.

Only real comment is retro had stated he would give "PLENTY" of notice before the banning of RMT came into effect I am not sure having only 30 days for people to make up their minds is enough 60-90 days would have made more sense both giving more time for people to decide to stay sell unload etc.. give more time for the new anti rmt methods to be tested fully.

If steam release isnt until mid year (june- july?) then giving more time to April or May might have been better and to avoid the market rush that may or may not happen.

Overall glad to see Wurm making serious efforts in content, QoL and other improvements, now we shall see if straying from the orig model proves to be successful or it flatlines.

• Like 2

I'm honestly not sure how I feel about some of this. I'm uneasy about the way that WO and Steam are going to be allowed under the same client. I fear it's only a matter of time before WO and Steam are connected fully.

2 minutes ago, PandyLynn said:

I'm honestly not sure how I feel about some of this. I'm uneasy about the way that WO and Steam are going to be allowed under the same client. I fear it's only a matter of time before WO and Steam are connected fully.

Isn't that the whole point of this change? 

3 hours ago, Delacroix said:

Anybody notice that the majority of the same people praising this change are the same people who have some paltry numbers of posts and no presence within the community?

Some might say that I have a presence in the community.

I've been vocally in support of removing RMT for the past months leading up to this news. We all knew it was coming as soon as the steam launch was announced in typical Rolf style. 

You'll be upset to know that actually the vast majority of people I've interacted with as a result of these discussions have been in favor of these changes. You're right though, this will cause some people to leave, however this change is made not under the intention of trying to retain people but under the intention of creating a better game for the future. There's no secret that Wurm has been in decline for a long while and Wurm needs to go where people are looking for games to play - which is Steam. 

It's no secret that RMT has shaped Wurm to where it is today however it IS bad for the game and this change is a good one. It is a shame for my back pocket in that going back 5 years ago my entire game inventory and toons were worth maybe 3-4k euros. Now that's basically nothing, but the basic concept that I should be able to enjoy the game for another 5 years instead of seeing a slow decline until it's servers are shut down due to expenses (which is our trajectory atm). Makes it worth the gamble, I want to see more of these big, decisive changes that will drive Wurm to a proper vision instead of a compromised wishwash, trying to make every player happy. 

Best of luck to anyone who leaves. Thank you for your contributions to the game and for the enjoyable memories. 

For those who stay, I look forward to making new memories with you all. 

• Like 26

26 minutes ago, Toma said:

Isn't that the whole point of this change? 

It was stated from the beginning that WO and Steam would be separate. That was one of the main factors in a lot of people riding this out. If it is the endgame, I wish it would be clearly stated so that some people can decide whether they want to be a part of it or not.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, PandyLynn said:

It was stated from the beginning that WO and Steam would be separate. That was one of the main factors in a lot of people riding this out. If it is the endgame, I wish it would be clearly stated so that some people can decide whether they want to be a part of it or not.

It will certainly be separate when it opens  However the devs have remained ambiguous about future plans.  We know steam servers will remain alone for a long time at though, unless it flops.  This change is likely so they aren't having to enforce two different rulesets which is likely to cause confusion.

Edited by Toma

8 minutes ago, Toma said:

It will certainly be separate when it opens  However the devs have remained ambiguous about future plans.  We know steam servers will remain alone for a long time at though, unless it flops.  This change is likely so they aren't having to enforce two different rulesets which is likely to cause confusion.

Hopefully they remain separate for a long while. Merging after a few months would really kill the excitement of a new cluster, especially considering the flood of items that'd be sure to follow. Perhaps allow character transfers after a few months, with items being allowed to cross after a year or two? Definitely smart to get the RMT issue out of the way now, glad to finally see it come around.

To me this seems like hit or miss... On one hand I have advocated for stopping account trading since people will look at the accounts as "investments" and as such those accounts will never "leave" the game instead being sold to a new person every so often; this causes the market to get screwed up since prices keep dropping over time for the various services.. Making new accounts and leveling them requires more of an investment of time and has the players stick around.

The banning of item/coin sales though I think, might be a problem because as mentioned RMT still occurs through other markets... I get that you have server upkeep to pay (which is why I buy prem time from the shop instead of using coin) but you might be better off leaving the "grey market" of players performing RMT when it comes to coins/items while preventing account sales. One way I can see would be to increase the cost for using coin at the token to buy prem time so players will have more incentive to pay out of pocket for prem time instead of farming coin for prem but you shouldn't remove that option entirely because some people want to have a way for completely "Free-to-Play" for various reasons. If the cost of buying prem time was increased to 1.5 times or doubled at the token that would mean that it is much more viable to buy through the shop instead of buying the silvers from another player.  If the cost of the silvers came out to 15-20 silvers for a month of prem at the token; most players will start buying it directly from the shop because it's cheaper.

All that's needed is for there to be a way to direct players to view the shop as being easier/better then just buying coin from another player to pay for prem.

Remember... Games need 2 kinds of players to stay open. First are the spenders who cover the costs and the other are the free players who help drive the economy and build the community. 1/3rd of the players are the spenders and 2/3rds are the free players.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, LanceWinstar said:

Remember... Games need 2 kinds of players to stay open. First are the spenders who cover the costs and the other are the free players who help drive the economy and build the community. 1/3rd of the players are the spenders and 2/3rds are the free players.

This changes nothing about this model.  Spenders will just buy silver from the wurm shop rather than another player.  Free players will sell their services to the people who bought silver off the wurm shop and use that silver to fund their deed and premium.  Nothing about this model has changed.  The only thing that has changed here is that you will no longer have the option of taking money back out of the game.  I really do understand people especially from struggling countries communities who do this, but Wurm should not be a source of RL income for people.  It's a game and not a job. 

• Like 5

Just as i was about to give up all hope for the game you go and actually do something i never thought would happen :o
Looking forward to see what other changes there might be down the road

• Like 2

Account sharing questions:

1)When will we be able to read a full draft of the guidelines regarding the new account sharing policy?

2)Can you post them in a thread section to allow debate and possible changes before finalizing?(and announce in discord and INGAME when said thread is available)

The rules need to be universal and player favored. Not server based. The point of having a new policy would be to better address potential nefarious behavior and not ban accounts for legitimate people simply logging in to do some enchants for themselves.

• Like 3

Question in regards to Account Sharing. I play often at different places (My house, Work, Sometimes friends). Will this lead to a punishment since it will show that I log on in multiple ips?

Also in regards to the changes in Traders. Will they be allowed to have on Xanadu now?