Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

The Future of RMT in Wurm and Price Reductions

While RMT doesn't touch me much (yes, i did sell some extra silvers in years of abundance, but whatever...) the whole trader rework, character management, deed cost and whatnot looks like an utter no go for me.

Traders allowed me to keep playing without having to pay absurd upkeep prices because no one respect people neighbourhood, forcing you to deed it or get a giant pit dug in your perimeter because it's allowed.

Same goes for all the public deeds that my traders keep funded... the deliverance stadium, those marker deeds at the entrance of heritaged canals and tunnels... who will now pay for that... the game or should we just disband them?

This kind of post is the perfect way to kill the game and get people to cash out what can be still cashed... while deeply screwing those who invested money in the game recently.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Evilreaper said:

wurm is much cheaper than most other games out there that require monthly subs

Because math is hard:

~$9 for a single character, on which you are locked out of a large part of the game

~$1.15 for a small deed, on up to roughly $5 for a deed that one would consider reasonably-sized

Final Fantasy XIV: $13

World of Warcraft: $15

Elder Scrolls Online: F2P with an option to pay a $15 sub to get the expansions + extra content for free each month

Tera: F2P with optional (not required whatsoever) sub of $15

So, with Wurm you pay a subscription each month of between ~$10 and $14 just to be locked out a large segment of the game, compared to other games in the genre that are $13-15

But HERPDERP WURM SO CHEEP LOLOL

• Like 7

Do xanadians get to buy and "install" Traders after that change?

Will current Traders get the option to be relocated (or sold)?

With RMT getting a ban.. some players have deeds in different locations and servers, with different characters. Does the RMT ban mean I cannot send silver to my own characters anymore via mail (or even direct trade)? Do I then have to buy silver from the shop for all my characters separately?

I mean, how would you distinguish me sending silver to myself, from someone else sending me silver for a dollar.

Edited by Shmeric
  • Like 1

Just now, Delacroix said:

Because math is hard:

~$9 for a single character, on which you are locked out of a large part of the game

~$1.15 for a small deed, on up to roughly $5 for a deed that one would consider reasonably-sized

Final Fantasy XIV: $13

World of Warcraft: $15

Elder Scrolls Online: F2P with an option to pay a $15 sub to get the expansions + extra content for free each month

Tera: F2P with optional (not required whatsoever) sub of $15

So, with Wurm you pay a subscription each month of between ~$10 and $14 just to be locked out a large segment of the game, compared to other games in the genre that are $13-15

But HERPDERP WURM SO CHEEP LOLOL

Don't need to have a deed.

Just now, Toma said:

Alright, so $9 to have a massive chunk of the game locked out rather than simply a 'large' part.

You're brilliant.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Toma said:

Stupid argument.

Its one of the core parts of the game.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Delacroix said:

Alright, so $9 to have a massive chunk of the game locked out rather than simply a 'large' part.

You're brilliant.

I remember when wurm had massive community deeds with many people contributing and working together rather than every man for themselves being hermits.  I think there needs to be more villagers in general.

• Like 3

Heavy update, but fair and good in my opinion.

I'll loose a trader, but the reduced prices for shop silver/prem make up for that (still doesnt bring me back to the good old days where I could prem 3 accounts for a year for only 150 euro, but -13euro for a year sub isnt to bad, I'll keep my priest subbed for another full year because of this).

Silver/realmoney trade: I've never felt the urge to earn real life money by playing a game. All my silver either comes from the wurmshop, or by trading bulk/items ingame.

Account trade: And I'm always of the concept, that when I quit playing a game, my account goes "dead" to, so the account-trading has never even come up as an option in my mind. I mean, Parasiticentity has become a part of me after 607 days playtime across these 10years and counting. So selling something like that is simply "weird" to me, I never considerd it and never will.

Traders: Like I said in the beginning, I'll loose a trader (fell of my deed when I made it smaller a while ago) and still have 1 left. I put them up in "the good old days" so, the silver I spend on them, I have earned back with a small bit of profit. To be honest, the last time I drained them was 3 years ago, if not longer, I simply use mine for buying magical chests every now and then to expand storage (will be a bit sad I cant drain silver back from a 50s purchase of a lmc, but with the loyalty system, I'll be able to get them that way)

Reduced prices: I like this allot, I wont go up to 3 prems again like I did in the past (when it was 50euro/year), but with this drop, I'll probably keep my priest full-time prem from now on to.

For now, these drastic changes dont really hit me hard. But I'm nervous of what else comes down the line. Wont stop me from playing wo tho, I have 3 things on my list that dev's would have to do to piss me off, and so far in all these years, they havent touched any of those, so I'm still good (must admit the fountain pan one stung for a bit, but it wasnt one of my "3" ;))

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Toma said:

Are you kidding me? Although I don't mind living in a large communal dead, that is certainly not why most of the people play this game. lol

Just now, Toma said:

I remember when wurm had massive community deeds with many people contributing and working together rather than every man for themselves being hermits.  I think there needs to be more villagers in general.

This just in: if you're a part of a large community the deed is free.

Because obviously that money doesn't need to come from anywhere.

• Like 2

Just now, Shmeric said:

Do xanadians get to buy and "install" Traders after that change?

Will current Traders get the option to be relocated (or sold)?

With RMT getting a ban.. some players have deeds in different locations and servers, with different characters. Does the RMT ban mean I cannot send silver to my own characters anymore via mail (or even direct trade)? Do I then have to buy silver from the shop for all my characters separately?

Silver can still be used for trading between players. However, you won't be allowed to exchange silver or any other in-game items for real money or assets.

You will be able to purchase and place traders on Xanadu.

Currently, we're not planning on having traders be able to be "picked up", or refunding them. There has been a lot of situations with people taking over old traders, and that would only add to its exploitability.

• Like 3

Just now, Toma said:

Yea, that is without a doubt the way I would prefer to play. It is why I always tried to play on PvP servers...it gives people a sense of community and purpose. But your not going to force people into that mindset. A lot of people play to shape their own place in the world.

Kudos to the devs for this!

I know it stings for some, but I agree that this is good for the game in the long run.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Toma said:

Moreover, don't need to pay RM for a deed. For a small deed, upkeep is 4-5c/day. Even on lazy days or those dedicated to imping, mining etc. solely, I usually get that amount from selling rares etc. on average. When out foraging/botanizing or hunting, it is rather 20-50c/day. From my IG silver "earnings" I could pay half of my main character's yearly sub time if not more.

If anything I think they should reduce the cost of premium while increasing the cost of deed ownership.  I want as many people in the game to make the game successful on steam.  Large village owners could be whales supporting the game, while villagers could be regular players with a budget.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Samool said:

Silver can still be used for trading between players. However, you won't be allowed to exchange silver or any other in-game items for real money or assets.

I understand that.

But...

RMT basics - "send me xx euros via paypal and something via mail in the game for xx silver".

In May, when I accept a potato from my other character for xx silver, do you guarantee the ban hammer won't hit me? :)

• Like 1

I really like this update!!!

I hope we have the option to move traders like merchants & wagoners at some point. After all, only one per deed. ;)

• Like 1

Not really sure how I feel about this. I have never done RMT though I could, I prefer to spend my shiny clinky coins on goodies and deed upkeep. So I guess I am fine with it, cause well WURM was honest about the chance to make some real money unlike Planet Calypso which is a joke and a bunch of asshat liars over there. On the Traders, ya they can be fun when you randomly check one and find they have a handful of copper or even a few times some silver. But the other day I heard about a toon that was just logging in to drain the 4 traders on pristine from a friend who is over there. So I am kinda glad maybe they are going away. Maybe there will be more coin in foraging and burying corpses and killing creatures. That to me would seem to be more fair to new players getting the random MOI rare coins and the rest of us. So I guess ya I am good with Traders going to a deed bonus only if I understand that right. Usually people sold them junk anyways that would always sit there, and believe me trying to sell spider eyes to clean out junk is a pain in the butt.

• Like 1

i have in the past bought coin and an alt form players before but tbh i rather pay to the wurm store for my coin. so i have. though im worried about my bothers account a little cuz though he dont play i play it some times. but in all im ok with this changes. i dont use traders though and dont make real money on the game. yes i spent lots of money but in my heart im paying to the wurm store in hopes that the dev team can continue making great changes to this great game. i am a little confused about the steam server thing. are you saying you cant send mail to the servers in steam but we can sail there? or if i have an account with both which i do i can play form steam on xandu? tbh this made me very happy with the day i was having. 

9 minutes ago, Samool said:

but that will only go into shady RMT. player A handles player B 1 gold in game.. they chat up away from wurm, player B sends money to player A via paypal. You wont track it, you will only see player A gave player B 1g. 

Question is, will you then question both players why 1g was handed over? as it could bee shady RMT, could be just in-game gift for in-game services, could be just a gift..

33 minutes ago, Samool said:

None. We're taking into account that some people just play from various locations and/or have dynamic IPs given from the ISP, and this is nothing to worry about if you're not actually sharing the account with a group.

how about in pvp cases? can we get a clear rule (hopefully AGAINST) multiple people using the same toon for pvp/deed defense etc

i really think its best to just stop account sharing altogether on pvp servers

• Like 4

1 minute ago, platinumteef said:

how about in pvp cases? can we get a clear rule (hopefully AGAINST) multiple people using the same toon for pvp/deed defense etc

i really think its best to just stop account sharing altogether on pvp servers

While at it, put more restrictions to f2p and 2s alts.

• Like 3

Just now, Themystrix said:

While at it, put more restrictions to f2p and 2s alts.

if pvp ever picks up and has more than 1 person not from my group willing to pvp, 2s alts will be the least of your worries, but i don't see how that has anything to do with rmt/account sharing