Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

The Future of RMT in Wurm and Price Reductions

3 minutes ago, Beewolf said:

A once-and-forver-lock would be fine for me.

I worked for years with a friend together and all that will be ###### if we can't use each others mainchars anymore.

If you're sharing it with a single friend, you're definitely not affected by this change and are free to continue to do so. 

Obviously it's not going to be always black and white, and in those situations we've asked the GM team to judge in players favor. We're still working on the exact wording of the rules but I'll make sure that it makes clear that situations such as this one are fine.

Account sharing changes are purely directed at groups sharing accounts, not individuals.

• Like 4

I like the changes, never liked the RMT thing.
But:

• 1 month: 7.99 euro
  • 2 months: 15.99 euro 

Does that mean, that 2x1 Month is cheaper than 2 Months? Or will we still only be able to buy things over 10€?

• Like 1

This is the most beautiful piece of literature in Wurms history.

• Like 9

I am in another country for a last few months. Going back home around end of February. What are the chances of my accounts being locked?

Later everyone. Its been fun. Not looking to continue on WO servers which I have no faith in anymore. Also not looking to start over yet AGAIN! I already did that when I moved from epic and got my skills on freedom to the same level...right around the time of epic skill transfer that I was told would never happen. While I don't disagree with some of the changes, I feel like we have all been test subjects in a game that should have been labeled as still being in Alpha. Good luck moving forward. I wont stay on WO servers when I know there are tons of people on another server and there is no way I can invest the time I have already invested over the last 7 years....again.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Nomadikhan said:

Some people have jobs that require regular travel, either multiple states a month or perhaps monthly travel overseas... how do you plan to detect honesty or criminal?  I'm all ears.  IP addresses are waaaay to easy to dup or be reliable.  My "Witchhunt" experience with Kamal was proof of that.  Can't count how many times he was banned over multiple IPS after weeks and months of trying to prove it was him, and I still even to this day get PM's from him saying hi.

Good point.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

If you login to a friends account to take care of their deed that is fine. If multiple people login to run a weaponsmith or priest for a village, alliance, or kingdom then we will take action on that account. 

How do you want to detect that?

• Like 3

And this is how a game is killed. "Rather important message"? You mean an atomic bomb that will kill what little remained of WO. 

Since I started playing, some 4-5 years ago, average players online at any given time, dropped from around 500 to 130. And now you remove probably more than half of those premium and other stuff buyers with this Steam bs. I am one of the players who makes and sells bulk stuff and the ones like me will quit playing the game after February. However, you will also drive away my buyers, the ones that make enough money in real life and can't spend hours and hours making bricks because they need that time to go to their jobs and earn that money in the first place. Maybe i am wrong, maybe the game will flourish on Steam but it is my prediction that we just saw the death of WO.

Best of luck!

• Like 3
  • Cat 1

Just now, Canis said:

I am in another country for a last few months. Going back home around end of February. What are the chances of my accounts being locked?

None. We're taking into account that some people just play from various locations and/or have dynamic IPs given from the ISP, and this is nothing to worry about if you're not actually sharing the account with a group.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Samool said:

If you're sharing it with a single friend, you're definitely not affected by this change and are free to continue to do so. 

Obviously it's not going to be always black and white, and in those situations we've asked the GM team to judge in players favor. We're still working on the exact wording of the rules but I'll make sure that it makes clear that situations such as this one are fine.

Account sharing changes are purely directed at groups sharing accounts, not individuals.

That is something complete different then ofc.

Yea, hopefully that will be cleared out alot.

For some of us this makes the difference of quit or not quit after all these years thb.

(In that case its 2 characters that was build up together since many years, played by 2 players, so no cheesy stuff here, rather a win for the game because that way both

chars are on prem all those years even if only one of us was playing at that time.)

Edited by Beewolf
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Samool said:

None. We're taking into account that some people just play from various locations and/or have dynamic IPs given from the ISP, and this is nothing to worry about if you're not actually sharing the account with a group.

Let's hear a response to the question of a solution to those of us your trader change is ****ing over.

• Like 2

Kudos for finally taking a stance on a contentious issue. While I don't fully agree with the account sharing bit, for personal reasons aka ; I want to share accounts with my gf, I hope I don't have to provide id :P  , I do applaud your guts in Sticking to your guns.  Personal thumbs up on traders : they have long been exploited.  

Edited by elentari
  • Like 3

How will you handle identification of VPN connections to accounts? Ill explain, most ppl use a VPN these days, somtimes my locations is not always the same depending on if im using it. So if a friend used my account (just 1) would the account get banned for a 3rd unique IP location logging in to it?

20 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

More than one or two. 

If you login to a friends account to take care of their deed that is fine. If multiple people login to run a weaponsmith or priest for a village, alliance, or kingdom then we will take action on that account. 

i would disagree with that. Having one shared priest in a village of lets say 10 ppl, possibly all friends is a common practise in any mmo. As why the hell a village would need 5 same priests? even playing same account and grinding it by 4-5 ppl should be ok. you are already removing RMT, so those account wont get sold on, the items they make wont get sold for real money, and even if they sell it for silvers (in-game currency) they cant convert those silvers into real money. So removing RMT alone is enough. Shared accounts can be left as they are as that wont be impacting in game trade no more in any way. Plus, if 5 ppl play same account, they cant all play at the same time, so its their trade off in certain situations. Banning account sharing and disallowing people to play shared accounts is completely unnecessary and you, as GM team would save your time and focus on monitoring that too.

Edit: Its also will be hard to track down if the same person plays from a different IPs.. Like i personally play from home, from my girlfriends place, sometimes log in at work and can log in on the go via mobile internet. thats 4 completely different IPs, different VPNs and 3 different PCs to start with.. It will be the same person playing, but you might see it as 3 or 4.. And tell me that wont cause no issues?

Edited by Skatyna
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Samool said:

What if I am using Tor then the location of my IP changes like every few hours to a different point in the world, which looks like my account would be shared by hundreds of people.

Edited by Sklo:D
  • Like 1

probably a dozen years too late, but its great to see wurm becoming a game again instead of this "investment" b.s. wurm is much cheaper than most other games out there that require monthly subs, and people who threaten to quit over this is great, i'd rather have 1 brand new player dedicated to wurming as a game than 20 gold farmers with purchased accounts

• Like 22
  • Cat 2

Another fantastic decision. So happy with this. This will help knock out two things that have really eroded the spirit of the game. People should have to work in teams, bringing their own skills to the table to make things ingame, not just buy in resources with IRL cash and share a few accounts with high skills.

Just now, Evilreaper said:

probably a dozen years too late, but its great to see wurm becoming a game again instead of this "investment" b.s. wurm is much cheaper than most other games out there that require monthly subs, and people who threaten to quit over this is great, i'd rather have 1 brand new player dedicated to wurming as a game than 20 gold farmers with purchased accounts

100% this. The responses and rants from people saying they're quitting have pretty much convinced me we're better off without them. Wurm should be for fun, not an investment. I hate the fact that top tier accounts are sold for 100s of euros each. I would never buy or sell an account as it completely erases the fun of building a character up.

Edited by Ols
  • Like 10

Just now, Sklo:D said:

What if I am using Tor then the location of my IP changes like every few hours to a different point in the world, which looks like my account would be shared by hundreds of people.

Which would then have us take action and investigate. If your argument is "what if it looks like it's being shared by a group" our answer is "we will take the action based on the information it is shared by a group" 

25 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

This is a big change for all of us, and while we've done our best to address the issues you might raise already, we will be here to answer all of your remaining questions, and Retrograde will be more than happy to discuss it during our live-stream on Sunday at 9pm UTC as usual. 

Regards,
The Wurm team

Oh thank you, we can discuss on live-stream and all... except those who would watch the stream at 1 am monday morning getting ready for work in 6 hours from that.

Great updates and good job explaining.. pretty much all that i have always wondered that why wurm allows it, now take a look at chaos battlecamp guards bug and that mechanic which was left broken, before the steam release thanks!

"Account sharing" ... got me little worried how you guys enforce that, i must say.

are changes being done to the loot distribution system?  Tombs for example.  I have none.  I wasn't too worried cause I figured I could actually buy one if I wanted.  Because they are rare and have value.  And their acquisition is mostly a trust based loot system and player random rollings after the player that found the unique and put a lot of effort into the deal got first picks.  if I can't buy things then I would enjoy seeing a fairer loot distribution system than "trust" and ninja.

Edited by Pryath

If your IP changes every couple of hours or w/e it is unlikely that those IPs are also associated with other accounts. Maybe I'm wrong about that but it seems like it wouldn't really be an issue.

I do believe that it could be made into an authorized sharing system that would take out a lot of the need for extra GM oversight... It can be be hours before getting a GM response to the /support system as it is at times. My 2c.

• Like 1

Account sharing is prohibited by every MMO I have ever played - industry standard might even be the proper term.

• Like 8

Sighs.. 

I do agree with these changes, BUT changing a mechanic that has been in place for many years is tough.

1 do occasionally sell silvers. When i do it's for the express purpose of buying premium. This just means I will now have to use in game silvers to purchase at the token. I can live with that. I just wish the in game purchases were in line with store pricing. This would eliminate my only reason for selling it.

I have a trader. I put it up at CLUB Market, with the intent that it would be open. When I went to purchase something for myself and had to sort through tons of garbage because someone had been draining it non-stop I closed it up. I agree with this change. I understand some need the ability to move their traders, and that would be fair..

Selling accounts: I have sold a few priests. I didn't intend to do it. I was grinding up my own, found sermon groups sproradic and hard to find. Prem'ed up a few girls for listeners.. it snowballed. I seriously didn't need 7 priests..I can live with no account sales, ALLOWING FOR TIME FOR THOSE WITH ACCOUNTS TO OFFLOAD THEM. With the negativity circulating lately not sure 30 days is enough time, as I suspect the market is going to be flooded hard..

Sharing accounts: Yes yes yes!! I was always believed that the TOS said the account was your account, and not to be shared.  

Seriously though, not sure if alienating the core base of Wurm to cater to the Steam crowd is a good business decision. Wurm is most definitely a niche game. People either love it or hate it. A lot of big changes in such a short time alienates those who clearly love it, leaving the unknown...

In before it becomes a twitch shooter....

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Evilreaper said:

Who is to say that we are all gold farmers and purchased accounts? 1 brand new player might last a month...a lot of us have been loyal to this game for many years, like myself. Obviously your not going to please everyone and I DO agree with some of these changes from a business standpoint...but when you make drastic changes to a game that effect many people who have carried this game with their subscription...yes carried, population has dropped off dramatically. I've kept premium up for awhile even when not playing as a show of support...well...yeah...time will tell I guess.

Just now, Pryath said:

are changes being done to the loot distribution system?  Tombs for example.  I have none.  I wasn't too worried cause I figured I could actually but one if I wanted.  Because they are rare and have value.  And their acquisition is mostly a trust based loot system and player random rollings after the player that found the unique and put a lot of effort into the deal got first picks.  if I can't buy things then I would enjoy seeing a fairer loot distribution system than "trust" and ninja.

We won't be touching that in this update, but the new loyalty system does have a random valrei tome as a purchaseable item. 

• Like 1