Sign in to follow this  
elentari

Use alchemy to distill more potions

It would be nice if Sleep Bonus could be used for other things. Such as distilling (based on alchemy skill) 15 -20 mins of our sleep bonus into potions that can give certain temporary bonuses. The reasoning behind this is we only use our sleep bonus on certain actions when grinding but it would be nice if we could be given the chance to choose on what to sacrifice it.

It would also make it more valuable since it would give Alchemy an important role in roleplaying.

Mechanics example : Distill 20 mins of sleep bonus + a reagent + a catalyst  to create a temporary endurance potion.  Mechanics would work as potion ql (based on alchemy skill) and concentration .

Potion ql = How strong the effect is : a) 1-15 ql = Impure potion

b) 16-30 ql Distilled Potion

c) 31-50 Strong Potion 

d) 51-75 - Regular Potion

e)  76- 90 = Supreme Potion

f) 90+ = Fantastic potion  (e..g. a 90 ql potion would give +30% dmg boost for  5 minutes to physical dmg in combat)

Concentration = Max timer of the potion itself. The more SB you sacrifice = the higher the concentration of the potion.

Reagents : animal parts, fat, teeth, plants.

Catalyst : Metals, salt, liquids ( juices, alcohol).

Potion types: Self use. Target use on mobs or players that give debuffs or buffs. Item use that give temporary coatings.

Potions reference list:

1. Self use : a) Endurance potion = less stamina lost on actions when fighting, imping, digging, running, etc.

b) Dexterity potion = Single use. Next chance to create an item is improved. Useful to create complex or difficult items such as metal minedoors or crafting armors, such as scale armor.

c) Strength potion = More dmg done to mobs.

d) Intellect potion = +1 action in the queue for a limited duration of time based on potion ql.  Acts like 10 temporary pts. of mind logic.

f) Busy body potion = x % faster creation timer on items. Useful for builders.

2. Target use

a) Weakness potion = Debuffs a mob, lowering its damage by x%. Or perhaps lowers CR, depends how parry rate, dmg and hit chance are coded.

b) Speed potion = Use on current mount to increase its temporary speed. Useful to get out of a fight quicker or perhaps sprint to a certain destination. Timer capped, use only once per day.

c) Entaglement potion = Lowers speed of target

d) Thunder potion = Stuns mob.

3) Coatings

1) Poison= self explanatory, can poison a weapon or arrows.

b) Moon-shield potion = coats an item so it takes less dmg on use. Useful for tools and weapons.

c) Bashing potion = Coats a maul/huge club/axe so it does more bash dmg to walls and items.

d) Luck potion = Reduces chance to fail on improving items.

These are just ballpark ideas, they can obviously be tweaked and balanced but it would add a whole new world to interact with skill, would give us a way to use SB other than just turn it on, can make certain activities more fun or less tedious. 

Feedback please?

First of all, well done for your ideas. I found them really interesting and could imagine some players (myself included) using them in-game.  

I often have a surplus of sleep powders and this would be a welcome extra use. It may also increase the potential for players trading such powders and make loyalty rewards even more valuable.

The potions could be stored in the alchemists cupboard that already exists so that is a plus.

Your ideas for reagents / catalysts are clever as they open the possibility to many combinations that may be added- so your idea is somewhat future-proof.

I would suggest that the percentage for each buff is proportionate to the strength of that potion.

The only fly in the ointment would possibly be the big changes about to take part in Wurm. I would suspect the development team are somewhat busy as we write this! I would also be interested in hearing from someone with coding ability whether your ideas are feasible.

Of course, I agree that the timing might be a bit off, considering the move to steam. I do imagine coding it would be an undertaking but a basis for certain potion could be done for say 12 potions to start with and see how the players react to that?

The core of items necessary for alchemy is already in the game through other skills : butchering, farming, smithing, beverages. I can imagine some high end potions could even use Rift Materials to make rifts attractive again, not just for runes. The skill itself could justify and enrich some other skills that are kinda lackluster or have little use : baking, coal making, beverages, forestry, pottery.

The only thing left to do is to gain enough traction for the suggestion.

An alchemy bench where you could begin the process of distilling potions would be the place to go to. Simply add the ingredients to it, and wait for them to cook.

Would be fun if some potions would cause "misshaps" as in they would end up in "mysterious potion" with random effects = cause a poison wound, reduce nutrition to zero,  get you drunk, temporarily reduce CR, induce hallucinations (insanity path style), randomly teleport you on the map, cause disease, randomly give you a skill boost (luck of the dice), randomly reduce a skill by a minor increment.

The potential for a lot of fun stuff is there, I'm just saying.

I really like this idea :) Would expand alchemy in such usefull way.

P.S. How exactly would you distill it?

First i though it would use actual still lol. Put ingridients in container like transmutation and then consume sleep bonus?

My original thoughts were this .

You need an alchemy table.  The table can work as a container with several rows of subcontainers for reagents and catalysts.

Ql of alchemy table can determine max number of containers , implicitly the max number of potions one can brew at any point in time.  Similarly to how a chicken coop determines max no. of chickens.

Alchemy lore can work similar to lore for cooking. Aka = 0.8 kg of steel + 1 kg of whiskey + 20 Mins of SB = You think this will create an endurance potion. You estimate the chance of success is about 65% from your measurements.

Upon attempting to create a potion you can choose how much SB you want to "sacrifice" in creating the potion. The action timer begins, and at the end you get the prompt = you believe the potion will be ready in roughly 8 hours.

You can choose to "sacrifice" 0 sleep bonus but the end result will be a potion with a limited timer.

Another factor would be alchemy skill itself. Players will low lvl alchemy (which realistically means most of us) should be able to only brew certain types of potions. This should prevent alt abuse where some people might be tempted to burn alt SB to mass produce potions.

As a rough reference point, low lvl alchemy should mostly result in a high chance to create "mysterious potions" with random effects. It should act as an incentive for people to skill alchemy up for useful potions and prevent alt abuse from alts with low lvl. alchemy.

Edited by elentari

+1 with the caution that repeating spells that priest do not be done. We've already got so many priests that making less opportunities for them to shine is not a good idea.

• Like 1

I agree with ChampagneDragon - no duplicate spells, which any of the four remaining/original priests can cast - only new spells/potions.

There is an alchemist's cupboard, which could be modified quite easily for these additions - has 10 compartments, into which the various items, including a sleeping potion, could be put and then a create button pressed to make the new potion - or material (for example: how about the traditional alchemist's spell of turning lead (or hay/grass) into gold - joke!)

+ Well done. Elentari, for good ideas. 

Spells are one thing, those are priest specific.

Alchemy could be something anyone can do with the patience for it. The idea is to add another layer of depth to the game that seems to be lacking in wurm but is present in most rpgs, which tends to be just fun. Most rpg games either have scrolls/potions/temporary buffs/silly bonuses that make the game more bearable in certain situations. But they aren't 100% necessary to play the game.

Runes work in a similar fashion. You don't have to do rifts. You don't have to make runes. But it's nice to have a speed rune on the boat or adding a rune to the wagon so you can load a bsb in it. Having potions to use for certain activities can be nice, but not game breaking. The ones that can be exploited for pvp can simply be disabled there.