Sign in to follow this  
Wurmhole

New Steam Server - Remove Traders and Source

Traders completely gone... well, just the ability to SELL to them and drain in any way at all.  They can just be sellers of goods.

Source - I would like to remove permanent source fountains and springs.  Let them start with a fair amount of source, but they do NOT refill at all ever. 

I would like to see an end to this type of resource camping/milking.  If you have to change the source requirements for spells and make them less expensive, I'm all for that.  Just get rid of camping, claiming, etc.

• Like 7

I disagree in my opinion, Traders are nice to have and if just at Starter Spawns where nobody can build them in with a hut or put a deed over them, they work fine and first come first serve. Same with source springs and fountains, just make it illegal to wall, fence, or small hut them off from everyone else. At least the above ground ones, and not be able to deed over these. I'm sure there is some way to code that in where you can't deed with in a 5x5 area near them. Now if somebody is mining and happens upon one on their deed that would be different I think. Canals and tunnels that hit source I think should also be first come first serve unless under a existing deed. Anyone caught fencing them off should get banned. Though I do agree, I hate it when somebody fences one off and blocks everyone from using it. Especially when they do a building and you can't bash it down. I know of several that if we could bash the buildings down, I would do so in a heart beat.

I agree about the source springs and fountains. No new player will even know about or understand the concept, while starting over veteran players will have another source (:)) of superiority. Maybe the same with traders and the possibility to drain them, but as long as this is confined to the starter towns, I agree to Arthur that they are a nice opportunity, which is well documented and known, also one to lower the cost of purchases.

As to source, if at all, it should not exist from start, maybe it could be introduced after a while when the game is established already, and some kind of even ground exists among the players.

Why will source be important? I have 170k and I've used like, maybe 2kgs of source 

• Like 1

Im not sure about traders, but source isnt that big of a deal. I had one on lockdown for awhile in a mine. But decided to make it public and I put in a hw tunnel that has it on a side wall. They dont give much karma, compared to missions.

Source is just a issue because in a lot of cases some one builds a 1x1 shack over them. Maybe not really a problem. Just annoying to have all these little source shacks all over the place.

• Like 1

I think the main issue with traders, at least speaking as someone who lived close to Desertion starter town for a long time, was that they were easily gamified. Someone, an alt, would always login regularly with cheap items to drain it. Making 1 silver every couple of days off that trader means around 15 S a month. And that's just one trader, there were 2 in the starter town. The fact is someone can simply use that mechanic to make and sell silvers for RL money and that offers a small incentive for people to make an alt and drain them.

I do believe a general rework of traders is quite necessary.

Edited by elentari
  • Like 2

The ability to earn silvers for deed upkeep is a good incentive to attract new players to the Steam server and being able to once in awhile pay for Premium that way too is nice. Perhaps introduce some new MOI ways to earn a rare coin or maybe even add them to the archaeology random frag algorithm. I do see the point where an alt Trader Drainer ruins the trader by selling useless junk that sits there and never goes away.

Ohana and Elentari have it exactly right.  I hate all the source huts that get built everywhere.  I once had a deed in the middle of nowhere and it happened to have a couple source, back when I had no idea that source was valuable.  Then I went afk a while and when I came back, my deed had expired and there were two 1x1 source huts.  Redeeding to reclaim the area took about 1 year, waiting for those huts to decay.

On Pristine, there is a source hut on every source, except the lone source that landed on a highway.  It isn't like we have no room to deed and build now, with the game being near death, but what is the point of having a mechanic that inspires this?

I barely use it and mainly just for fun, to cast some worgs at a hunt.  I believe in PvP it is much more important.  If it wasn't valuable though, nobody would be building huts all over every server.  We can get it from mining and missions, so why not just eliminate source springs/fountains from the game?  Or, maybe make them something that can be created, through a very complicated crafting process and add a MAG spell to activate it?  Maybe a limit of one per deed?  The outcome would have to be far less valuable than the cost of maintaining deeds though, or you will have massive deed spamming for source.

Selling to traders just needs to end.  We have selling to our deed tokens, why should we need traders for that?

Instead of traders the new steam server could have kingdom merchants in the starting towns. They have the same items for sale as traders do now, but you can not sell items to them like you do now. Instead they are like token selling.

Source should be random and single use, like have the source pop somewhere with a set amount of source and once drained it decays, then respawns somewhere else. Problem solved.

As for traders, Xanadu has it best. Only traders on starter towns. Thats it, and make it undrainable, only sell.

+1