Sign in to follow this  
Jeston

Floating Chat Bubbles

On 3/9/2020 at 10:59 AM, CreZ said:

Because of how it makes the game move towards being like every other bland mmo in the world when it was never meant to be an MMORPG. Also because of the crowd such a thing panders to and would potentially attract and the impact their presence could have to dilute and destroy our community.

Also they might later decide that chat bubbles don't have a performance impact and decide to force them on at all times...

Let me assist in what MMORPG means for you, 

M- Massively,  Wurm Is very massive, it has immense landscape that other current online games cant even hope to compete with.
M- Multiplayer, Wurm has multiple players in world.
O- Online, You have to be connected to the internet to login.
RP- Role-playing, There are over 130 skills of which you can pick from to grow your character into the market you wish to play a role in.
G- Game, Wurm is a video game, you have to install it and play it with a computer.

Quite the strawman you had there but it was swiftly blown away.

On 1/26/2020 at 12:52 AM, Thalius said:

I like the general idea, but I think it could be a mess in community events like rifts. Imagine all the bubbles popping up over everyone's heads and you'd have to look at them to see what is being said while watching out for rift critters.

If you could right click a player and speak directly to them and have a bubble appear, it could work.

I agree with the other comments though- if this ever became a thing, there needs to be an option to toggle it on and off.

noone talk during rifts lmao

To be fair, the current chat system is very hard to follow at times and sometimes a villager might same something or a friend, and I'm just not paying attention to the window, but on a fight or figuring out a cooking recipe.

Having a chat bubble near me would be nice , as long as it's a toggle on/off option. I don't see why we can't have good things that can simply be toggled on or off. Games that offer a customizable experience always offer more value to the player than games that force you to use the options they give you.

6 hours ago, Jeston said:

Let me assist in what MMORPG means for you, 

M- Massively,  Wurm Is very massive, it has immense landscape that other current online games cant even hope to compete with.
M- Multiplayer, Wurm has multiple players in world.
O- Online, You have to be connected to the internet to login.
RP- Role-playing, There are over 130 skills of which you can pick from to grow your character into the market you wish to play a role in.
G- Game, Wurm is a video game, you have to install it and play it with a computer.

Quite the strawman you had there but it was swiftly blown away.

Good to know that you don't even know what the RPG part of MMORPG actually is to try and explain it but thank you ever so much for your failed attempt at explaining it to me anyway. Would you also like to explain what a keyboard is or how the internet works, surely I don't know those either.

More importantly there is a colloquially usage beyond the expansion of the acronym. I'll let you go look up what that means and write a post explaining it then we can continue the discussion if you'd like.

On 3/9/2020 at 11:59 AM, CreZ said:

Because of how it makes the game move towards being like every other bland mmo in the world when it was never meant to be an MMORPG. Also because of the crowd such a thing panders to and would potentially attract and the impact their presence could have to dilute and destroy our community.

Also they might later decide that chat bubbles don't have a performance impact and decide to force them on at all times...

You're seriously calling out the destruction of the Wurm community... over chat bubbles?

I can't tell if you're joking anymore.

19 minutes ago, Ignacius said:

You're seriously calling out the destruction of the Wurm community... over chat bubbles?

I can't tell if you're joking anymore.

Its the context. You said you can't see how anyone could possibly be against it. I offered an explanation for how that could be. Otherwise I'd probably not have said a word on this one honestly.

On 3/9/2020 at 5:57 AM, Ignacius said:

If it comes with a toggle, I don't see how anyone could possibly be against it.

But no, I'm not calling out the destruction of the wurm community over chat bubbles. If anything I'm calling out the watering down of Wurm, its community, and its history by attempting to add more mainstream mediocrity through a preponderous of mechanics such as chat bubbles. Adding a feature just because thats what all the other games do isn't what I would want to see. Most games have zombies and AK47s too neither of which would fit well here. They also have pointless quests, lame NPCs, and instanced game play which are things that have long been avoided.

13 hours ago, elentari said:

To be fair, the current chat system is very hard to follow at times and sometimes a villager might same something or a friend, and I'm just not paying attention to the window, but on a fight or figuring out a cooking recipe.

Granted, but I fail to see chat bubbles being a great help for. I would rather like a possibility to detach tabs, chats (alliance while following help, event while following combat etc.

I disliked bubbles in other games, flying damage/heal numbers also. They make the screen rather more confusing and distracting. Ofc it would not be game breaking, but I find it ugly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CreZ said:

Adding a feature just because thats what all the other games do isn't what I would want to see.

It's not being proposed because other games have it, it's being proposed because at least some players here would like it. That's a good reason.

Other games are used as inspiration of course but I don't see a problem with that.

1 hour ago, CreZ said:

Most games have zombies and AK47s too neither of which would fit well here.

We *have* zombies. https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Zombie

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lisimba said:

Hahaha! I knew as I was typing it that someone would point that out. I thought babies might get mentioned too. Pretty sure you get where I was going with it though.

1 minute ago, CreZ said:

Hahaha! I knew as I was typing it that someone would point that out. I thought babies might get mentioned too. Pretty sure you get where I was going with it though.

Yes, an AK47 wouldn't fit because Wurm is Northern European medieval fantasy themed and modern guns do not fall in that scope. We could conceivably have early gunpowder cannons though (thematically at least, I'm not saying I think they ought to be added). Zombies do fit because they work within the magic part of the fantasy stuff.

Chat bubbles aren't a content thing but an interface thing, so the question is if they make sense within the sort of interface Wurm uses. And, well, yeah they do. Lots of games where you have an avatar in a 2D or 3D space, and where you can talk to each other, use chat bubbles. And they do that because it works for a lot of the people that play those games, and people ask for it. And *that* is a good reason to consider them for Wurm.

@CreZIf you're truly concerned about the "watering down" of Wurm, perhaps you should take that to your own suggestion thread and present some good evidence of that.

2 hours ago, CreZ said:

Its the context. You said you can't see how anyone could possibly be against it. I offered an explanation for how that could be. Otherwise I'd probably not have said a word on this one honestly.

I think the only reason you said anything was because I'm the one that said it. You love to argue with me. I'm fine with that.

2 hours ago, CreZ said:

If anything I'm calling out the watering down of Wurm, its community, and its history by attempting to add more mainstream mediocrity through a preponderous of mechanics such as chat bubbles. Adding a feature just because thats what all the other games do isn't what I would want to see.

I fail to see how a feature that some would consider useful is a watering-down move. I'd also like to point out that chat messages appearing above the heads of the players who spoke them isn't exactly a ground-breaking innovation. Is Wurm somehow "special" for not implementing things like this?

2 hours ago, CreZ said:

They also have pointless quests, lame NPCs, and instanced game play which are things that have long been avoided.

I'll refer you here for pretty much every point you've made about this so far. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affirmative_conclusion_from_a_negative_premise

I felt the need to quote you line-by-line so you wouldn't pull another lovely "focus on only one point I made" bit, and I felt the need to point out I did so so you wouldn't mock me for it, because you're a belligerent, pessimistic elitist. I await your response.

4 minutes ago, Ignacius said:

I think the only reason you said anything was because I'm the one that said it. You love to argue with me. I'm fine with that.

I'm sorry you think that. I truly have nothing personal against you. I hardly even know you.

Regarding most of the rest of what you said, you're right that this really isn't the appropriate place to be discussing it in the middle of a suggestion thread. I really was just triyng to pop off a quick one off but for some reason everyone keeps quoting me in their replies and it seems rude to not acknowledge or answer those.

Lastly thank you for your kind words at the end. I think I may make those my forum signature.

I think that can be taken from the time when MMORPG's were themeparks more than sandboxes

Wurm Online is an MMORPG, a sandbox MMORPG that does not include theme park aspects like quests, raids and the like. 

Perhaps consider "wurm is not an MMORPG" as "wurm is not your typical MMORPG" written by swedes. 

• Like 2