Sign in to follow this  
Jeston

Floating Chat Bubbles

One of the staples of a MMO to me is chat also appearing overhead on a local player/character talking to you, I find this feature should really be in Wurm of all games, Lots of MMORPGs have/had it and I see no reason to lack the option to toggle such a thing. It really draws you in to look at the person talking to you vs just looking down at chat. It may seem simple but I assure you it is a powerful tool in the art of game immersion. This feature would be a good addition to the UI changes that are being looked into.

Ability to toggle it and it would not in anyway change the normal chat windows, this would be a second option that can be enabled/disabled and font size change along with being able to set the fade timer on the bubbles and their transparency along with font color. 

omTaKqJ.png

Edited by Jeston
  • Like 5

I'm sorry but please no.  I can't see how that would be at all immersive.

• Like 1

if it's easy to do codewise and come with a toggle so no one is forced to use it, why not... could come at the right time with the 3rd person view.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Lisabet said:

I'm sorry but please no.  I can't see how that would be at all immersive.

@Lisabet

Explain to me how an option to toggle it would not add to the game? Sorry I know its hard but maybe try and be nice with explanation? This forum is about explanation and rational, read the first thread in this section by retro on the conduct here, you added no criticism other than " I DONT LIKE " which is really not the point. Doing a "-1" and "no" has no substance and breaks the rules on this forum section. This also gives a very unprofessional look at the stagnation being forced upon the game by a few older players. Do you really enjoy having 250 players per day strewn about the massive wurm lands whilst never getting to interact anymore? The current disposition to new ideas here spells a very sad outlook for a otherwise once upon a time populated game.

Edited by Jeston

this would seem very out of place in wurm. A toggle would be nice but dev time is definitely better spent on other things than this. If anything, I'd like to see voip. And if I'm not mistaken, it was already in WO long ago. 

• Like 1

I like the general idea, but I think it could be a mess in community events like rifts. Imagine all the bubbles popping up over everyone's heads and you'd have to look at them to see what is being said while watching out for rift critters.

If you could right click a player and speak directly to them and have a bubble appear, it could work.

I agree with the other comments though- if this ever became a thing, there needs to be an option to toggle it on and off.

are you suggesting this would replace the Local chat tab ?

how would this work for characters that you cannot see ?

1 hour ago, Explora said:

are you suggesting this would replace the Local chat tab ?

how would this work for characters that you cannot see ?

5 hours ago, Jeston said:

chat also appearing

In addition to. 

I would play with this option enabled if it were available as long as there would be a checkbox somewhere to disable it. As seen in this thread there are players who would not appreciate this addition.

• Like 2

I would like to see this, especially with the third person camera option coming now, could be a nice change to how the game feels imo :)

• Like 2

If it would be toggle ON/OFF feature, then why not.

In some situations, with only few people near you, would be very handy. Instead of staring on the local chat tab, you can focus more on environment around, while seeing conversation in the same time.

I'm all for it

- if it is an option and

- if it can be done with limited development effort.

(And thanks for using a picture of Tim there as example, lol. I only noticed from that picture that my left sleeve is not dyed, bad fashion model there!)

I certainly would think this would add to the immersion of the game. Local interactions would feel better. Less time staring at the local tab .. and more time watching a player pull you around in their cart, keeping those newbie eyes on the road and learning landmarks. Agreeing here with what Wilczan said about focusing on the environment.

In addition to an on/off toggle, maybe a default option so that if there are 20+? toons in local then chat bubbles turn off automatically and turn back on when the player count conditions are met.

+1

• Like 1

+1 for the idea 

+1 the ability to be toggled on/off in all channels at once or as the player chooses (they are only visible to that player if they have the option on in that channel)

+1 it does not replace the chat tab at all. 

+1 if its easy to develop and looks good

If it comes with a toggle, I don't see how anyone could possibly be against it.

I don't know if I would like to have this enabled but I would like to try it out.

3 hours ago, Ignacius said:

If it comes with a toggle, I don't see how anyone could possibly be against it.

Because of how it makes the game move towards being like every other bland mmo in the world when it was never meant to be an MMORPG. Also because of the crowd such a thing panders to and would potentially attract and the impact their presence could have to dilute and destroy our community.

Also they might later decide that chat bubbles don't have a performance impact and decide to force them on at all times...

Edited by CreZ

3 hours ago, CreZ said:

Because of how it makes the game move towards being like every other bland mmo in the world when it was never meant to be an MMORPG.

wurmonline.com, back in 2003: "Wurm Online will be a community-centric fantasy MMORPG fully developed in java."

That's marketing for you. Ultimately it's been described as an MMORPG from its inception on to today (see current homepage), and it fits the definition of one. There are differences between Wurm and the mainstream cookie cutter variety of MMORPGs but that is not a difference that needs to be artificially maintained just for the sake of it.