Samool

WU Resource Packs - creation and usage

With Wurm Unlimited 1.9.2.7 (currently in Beta) user resource packs have been added. Resource packs can contain textures, models and sounds which will be loaded by the game in place of (or in addition to) the ones already in the base game. Instructions for both usage and creation of those packs is placed below.

Resource pack end-user installation:

Spoiler

Place the .jar resource pack in “WurmLauncher/userpacks” directory of the Wurm Unlimited install directory.

E0Vxz7V.png

Resource pack creation:

Spoiler

First off, use an archive manager to create a .jar file (such as 7-Zip) and put the new/replacement assets in the archive. See notes below on how to accommodate assets for usage in Wurm Unlimited packs.

Create a mappings.txt file and put it inside the archive - that’s what the game will read when it searches for content assets.

Mappings (and the whole file) look like this:

model.decoration.well.stone = well.wom
img.texture.terrain.grass = folder/grass.dds

Note: mappings will override the lower level ones if there’s one that fits better - for example, img.texture.terrain.grass.fall would only overwrite the fall season grass texture.

To find the appropriate mapping for your replacement, refer to the mappings.txt file in the root directory of the main graphics.jar file. For more functionality of the mappings, such as color and texture overrides, refer to the original mappings.txt.

Structure of the resource pack looks like this:

REIDUoD.png

Converting textures for usage in resource packs:

Spoiler

Use your image manipulation software of choice to export to DDS format, Wurm accepts DXT1 and DXT5 compressed textures, for 3 and 4 color channels (without or with alpha) respectively.
Using PNG or JPG should work as well, but it isn’t recommended and may be buggy or worse looking in certain cases.

Converting models for usage in resource packs:

Spoiler

WOM Model converter: https://wurmonline.com/client/WOMConverter.jar

Export an .obj file from the 3D model software of your choice (like Blender). Make sure to specify that the Y axis is up, as that’s what the client assumes, that’s an export option in Blender and other similar software.

fFtreNh.png

Use the WOM converter to convert the .obj file to a .wom - the converter will open the file selection window, choose the .obj file and the output should end up in the same directory. Textures used by the model should be contained within the same folder in the .jar pack.

• Like 4

Just curious, for the Resource Pack Creation, if we haven't altered a texture in any way from how it default maps in the game, and that it isn't a new one, just replacing an existing one, will we be still required to have the mappings.txt for it?

• Like 1

If this had come out maybe 3 years ago, I would be throwing a party right now but alas time has passed and I have pretty much moved on from the game.

Good luck to all utilizing this as adding new models and textures to the game could be fun.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Fablecrafter said:

Just curious, for the Resource Pack Creation, if we haven't altered a texture in any way from how it default maps in the game, and that it isn't a new one, just replacing an existing one, will we be still required to have the mappings.txt for it?

Yes, you need to set a mapping for every file in your pack.

4 hours ago, Samool said:

4 hours ago, Samool said:

Alright, thanks for letting me know ^^

• Like 1

For installing resource packs now that ago's mod loader is part of base game can the functionality of the https://github.com/ago1024/WurmServerModLauncher/wiki/Mods-ServerPacks be added as well and changes made so that these resource packs are also send as default part of the server? or do we need to go bug ago to update it so that it will also check that folder as well?

After all if i was to be browsing for a server to join and i join a server and first thing i see a a whole lot of nothing because the server uses a lot of custom packs to replace textures id be like ya nope il pass but if the functionality of that mod was added then we could have server specific texture packs be a thing that are downloaded upon server connect and it would solve this problem that will happen in the future(plus its a nice thing to have this be part of the base game as most of ago's server mods are)

On 1/21/2020 at 1:07 PM, Samool said:

Resource packs can contain textures, models and sounds which will be loaded by the game in place of (or in addition to) the ones already in the base game.

they implemented their own system that server admins can either use or keep using the old serverpacks, that is literally what this topic is about...

Is Ago's mod loader a part of the client side also? Or does that still need to be installed on that end?

in the beta available atm mods in the mod folder are loaded without doing patcher.bat, that is with both client and server and at this stage running ago's will cause it to crash, maybe ago will update for next patch or maybe not  *shrug*

I have rewritten this post many times now trying to explain something but ugh, words suck.

Long story short the existing mod serverpacks works by the admin having the files on the server machine and so when the admin makes changes they are changed on the clients automatically without the clients having to do anything.

This implemented resource packs needs the files to be on the client machine and any changes a server admin makes will be a new d/l the players need to do and add to their client folder. This also means that if you play on different servers a player would need to change in and out the resource packs or they may well screw up what the client sees.

I mean I get it, the mod d/l content without asking for the players approval which can lead to admins doing bad stuffs and so they don't want to add in that kind of usage but ugh this resource packs just makes way to much work for players.

Why not just have a prompt popping up "There are packs to be downloaded from server - do you accept?"

-List-

Yes/No.

Edited by Jukken
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Jukken said:

Why not just have a prompt popping up "There are packs to be downloaded from server - do you accept?"

-List-

Yes/No.

would it be possible to code it instead as:

Yes/No/Only This Session

I mean they have stated they won't do any more patches, so unless they change what they have done before releasing it as a patch then no point actually discussing what we think would be better. End result will be we do a mod like serverpacks and that is that.

This feature is for enabling the player to be able to alter the game's graphics locally in a better format, instead of replacing the images directly in graphics.jar.  This is similar to the old texture packs for Minecraft, this is not a replacement for serverpacks for things like new creature/item images, maps, etc.  Right?

Edited by Ricowan

anyone managed to get the textures to be on models yet?

Tried many things but still not managing it, all models are just all white in game.

even tried changing a model that has the texture listed when model is listed.

model.container.flowerpot.pottery    = structures/Flowerpots/FlowerpotClay.wom?flowerpot.texture=flowerpot_burned.dds

I changed the model and texture, the model in game changed but the texture was still white.

I just can't seem to get the game to use the texture for the models I add, I am wondering if I am doing it wrong or if it just isn't working as intended?

@ Cuddles

There is a lot more to it than adding a new model you exported or downloaded then changing a name in a settings file. Models have there own info with in them that need to be correct or it will never work.  You need to start a thread and ask the art team if they can explain it to you how it is actually done a step guide. Not being a Dic but not my job to explain how you do it. A hint try using something like notepad++ on the model then you will start to see why you have a white texture.

The model needs to know where the texture is simple:

example:  When you export a model there is code in the model telling it where to find the texture on your PC. Then when you slide model in a folder inside wurms folders and the texture you want.  The model is still going to look for it else where until it is changed inside the model its self.

Spoiler

In side a models code 

<image id="Map #1-image" name="Map #1"><init_from>coffer.jpg</init_from></image>

your pic name is coffer.jpg

a model before changing it would read like

<image id="Map #1-image" name="Map #1"><init_from>D:\Wurm Unlimited dae models\WU models Game\furniture\coffer.jpg</init_from></image>

Edited by Arkonick
  • Like 1

yeah not a total newb  😃

exports from blender as

<init_from>Piano%20Bench%20COL.png.001.png</init_from>

so i figure ok maybe it has issues with the %20 instead of a space, so tried that, also didn't work, so tried it without the extra full stops and also changed the file name to not have extra full stops, still same result.

<init_from>Piano Bench COLpng001.png</init_from>

<init_from>Piano%20Bench%20COLpng001.png</init_from>

<init_from>Piano Bench COLpng001.png</init_from>

All same result, just a white model.

--=== Edit ===--

I mean I am a newb, don't get me wrong.

If you are saying that you get models to work fine with the new system in Beta then just means I keep trying.

Which was my main question if others had got it to work.

Edited by Cuddles

ended up needing to import it into 3ds max and then export it as collada before the game used textures.

So I have 30 days until my 3ds max trial runs out  haha

The textures work when exported as .dae from Maya aswell, so you have another 30 days there :P

Something about Blenders .dae export is not working.

The wom converter workes sometimes (always use obj).

Edited by Jukken

hmm... having some trouble playing around with this atm, trying to get just the textures changed for forges and other models ingame, yet the lines are too complex for me to understand what I really have to tweak. Figured I wouldn't really have to tweak anything, long as I used the same folder structure as the original graphics.jar, but they aren't showing up ingame (still using the default textures)

These are the lines that I'm referring to, just not sure what I have to tweak here, as I'm only replacing textures, not any models.

model.fireplace.forge.stone            = structures/Forge/forge.wom?forge.specular=1.0,1.0,1.0,1.0&forge.shininess=86&forgecauldron.specular=1.0,1.0,1.0,1.0&forgecauldron.shininess=86

model.fireplace.forge.stone.lit        = structures/Forge/forge.wom?forge.texture=forgelit.dds&forgecauldron.texture=forgecauldronglow.dds&forgecauldronglow.texture=forgecauldronglow.dds&coal.texture=forgelit.dds&coal.emissive=1.0,0.5,0.0,1.0&forgecauldronglow.emissive=1.0,0.5,0.0,1.0&forge.specular=1.0,1.0,1.0,1.0&forge.shininess=86&forgecauldron.specular=1.0,1.0,1.0,1.0&forgecauldron.shininess=86

model.fireplace.forge.unfinished        = structures/Forge/forge_unf.wom?forge.specular=1.0,1.0,1.0,1.0&forge.shininess=86

1 hour ago, Fablecrafter said:

hmm... having some trouble playing around with this atm, trying to get just the textures changed for forges and other models ingame, yet the lines are too complex for me to understand what I really have to tweak. Figured I wouldn't really have to tweak anything, long as I used the same folder structure as the original graphics.jar, but they aren't showing up ingame (still using the default textures)

These are the lines that I'm referring to, just not sure what I have to tweak here, as I'm only replacing textures, not any models.

Did you copy forge.wom and forge_unf.wom to your userpack? you need to have all the relevant files there then replace the textures that you want to replace

2 hours ago, bdew said:

Did you copy forge.wom and forge_unf.wom to your userpack? you need to have all the relevant files there then replace the textures that you want to replace

So even if I'm not replacing the .wom with something new, I still need the original?

*Edit* - So I added the .wom's to the pack and so far all the things are working, with the exception of stone walls thus far... wooden walls seem to be working, not sure what I'd be missing for the stone ones though at present...

Edited by Fablecrafter

9 hours ago, Fablecrafter said:

So even if I'm not replacing the .wom with something new, I still need the original?

Yes because the game needs to reload everything related to an item from one pack, it can't load the model from one place and textures for another. Wogic 😛