Sign in to follow this  
Ostentatio

Darker nights?

Nighttime was never exceptionally dark in Wurm compared to some games, but after some semi-recent changes, I feel like it's significantly brighter.

This has what I see as a few downsides:

1. Lanterns and other sources of personal lighting are not really important anymore. I can recall the days when I bothered to carry and fill a lantern, but currently I feel like it just doesn't matter much at all. Having a glow-runed item is nice, but even on an alt with no light source at all, I can walk around the wilderness with nothing and it's absolutely fine.
  2. Large sources of light appear less distinct. I have a tower with five light sources on top (four 70QL copper braziers and one 90QL marble brazier pillar), but even at night it doesn't look as striking in the distance as it could with less ambient light at night.
  3. Fishing aside, time of day simply doesn't matter much anymore if you can see almost as well at midnight as you can at noon. A player doesn't really have to consider when they trek out into the wilderness, or whether they have a lantern on them, or anything like that, which makes for less interesting/immersive gameplay to me.

I know part of this is up to the display the player is using, and my desktop monitor at home is pretty good at near-black visibility. That said, I'm also logged in as an alt with no light source right now, over a shoddy remote desktop connection, on a worse monitor, and I still find myself not really caring about the fact that it's night and I'm not carrying a lantern.

Is this experience similar for other players? I'd love for night to feel more like... well, night. Perhaps the same could be said of caves?

• Like 1

With the changes caves are definetly alot darker to me. I need to have my glow item or a lantern to actually see. I also had issues on jackal seeing at night with out a light source as well. Fog+night on jackal was basically a death sentence unless you stopped where you were and didnt have too many mobs near by lol But thats only cause jackal had that sepia tone that it applied while in Jackal territory. As soon as I was back in freedom areas, I was like "I CAN SEE AGAIN!"

Would be neat if they could some how implement a way to make nights darker depending on which moons are above at the time.

Edited by Nicrolis

Nights in Wurm are dark enough as they are; darkness is different each season, with some seasons having brighter nights and others being (almost) pitch dark (at least for me, a winter night is definitely way different than a mid-to end fall night, for example).

At this moment, I believe nights visibility and darkness are good as they are.

• Like 2

I think the darkness of the night is a very personal thing and could be very important to those people with impaired vision.

I think the nights are now lighter than when I first played Wurm and stumbled around (down) mountains not knowing where I was going. It is maybe us 'older' or more experienced players who prefer a little more challenge as we laugh in the face of less dangerous (to us) creatures?

I feel sure that newer players without the back-up of on-deed lamps and high quality sword and armour would prefer the light intensity to remain as it is. New players are surely an important group who we need to stay in Wurm and not leave simply because it is too dark? It is a little bonus for them that helps their early days and costs nothing as everyone has the same though it is the newer player who benefits most (and of course those with impaired sight).

• Like 2

depends what monitor i use, good monitor i can see in pitch black night just fine, side monitor i have for browsing web i need my glow ring necklace and then its fine. the game is definitely much brighter than it used to be.

i play with only 1 dynamic light coz they tank my fps so i dunno if the lanterns etc do much, from my experience in the past its not more than 3-4 tiles 

2 hours ago, Ostentatio said:

Nighttime was never exceptionally dark in Wurm compared to some games, but after some semi-recent changes, I feel like it's significantly brighter.

This has what I see as a few downsides:

1. Lanterns and other sources of personal lighting are not really important anymore. I can recall the days when I bothered to carry and fill a lantern, but currently I feel like it just doesn't matter much at all. Having a glow-runed item is nice, but even on an alt with no light source at all, I can walk around the wilderness with nothing and it's absolutely fine.
  2. Large sources of light appear less distinct. I have a tower with five light sources on top (four 70QL copper braziers and one 90QL marble brazier pillar), but even at night it doesn't look as striking in the distance as it could with less ambient light at night.
  3. Fishing aside, time of day simply doesn't matter much anymore if you can see almost as well at midnight as you can at noon. A player doesn't really have to consider when they trek out into the wilderness, or whether they have a lantern on them, or anything like that, which makes for less interesting/immersive gameplay to me.

I know part of this is up to the display the player is using, and my desktop monitor at home is pretty good at near-black visibility. That said, I'm also logged in as an alt with no light source right now, over a shoddy remote desktop connection, on a worse monitor, and I still find myself not really caring about the fact that it's night and I'm not carrying a lantern.

Is this experience similar for other players? I'd love for night to feel more like... well, night. Perhaps the same could be said of caves?

The hell you talking about? Its perfectly fine. You should be able to see some at night time. Like c'mon, once you leave a pub at 3am, do you really carry a lantern to guide you home? I doubt it. And in caves you cant even see where you going if you dont have any lightning source with you. 

Back in 2008 night was so dark you couldn't even see a few meters. You had to stop travelling for like 1.5 hours before you could continue. I remember people stopping at my place waiting for the night to be over.

• Like 2

The problem is the way that Wurm does night time, if I'm playing anything not Wurm and it's pitch black, you can still see in ways you would in real life and it's fine and light sources work great.  In Wurm with the same monitor and all, all night does to me is make me endlessly strain while feeling like someone is throwing pocket sand in my eyes.  No idea if thats just to do with color saturation or whatever weird technical thing that wurm does different but as is if night was darker it would just be making a miserable experience more miserable.  Caves are the same way, whenever they're adjusted to be darker they are just monotone grainy eye strain

3 hours ago, Cecci said:

On my new computer the mines are pitch black.

Increase brightness of your monitor

I know that ofc.

At least now I have use for my lantern!