Sign in to follow this  
Arimus

Sermon Orb merchant item as alternative to sermon groups

I've recently learned that sermons are a required mechanic if you want to reach 100 faith in a reasonable time frame. (For example, using just the 5 prayer faith gains a day would take nearly 2 years to reach 99 faith).  

Sermons are difficult to coordinate and manage. Some players instead choose to avoid that hassle entirely and use the 2s method to prem 5 additional alts (assuming they already have a crafting char) so that they have their own personal sermon group. This allows them to reset their faith gain counter every 3 hours at their convenience and receive the sermon faith gain. When the month is up they just create another batch of alts until they reach their 100 faith. Using this method, 100 faith is readily obtainable in a couple months. The 10s per month cost seems a fair trade off to avoid sermon groups.

As an alternative (not as a replacement for sermon groups), my suggestion is a merchant item be added for 10s that allows you to reset your faith gain counter every 3 hours and provides the minimum .12 faith gain for your next sermon regardless of number of listeners.  The item would be valid for 30 days.

I know that this is controversial territory. Some people might call it pay to win, but it is really just a different form of the same mechanic in place today.  Personally, I would rather have a merchant item than have to deal with a half dozen alt accounts (especially with the upcoming steam release, as alt accounts will be much more difficult to manage).

+1 heaps of people in local is just a massive performance issue they're never going to fix, may as well reduce the need for it

As a Libila follower who wants to priest in the future, it is difficult to get any one for a sermon. This was mainly an issue for me on Jackal where I could only get to the cap of the  gains a day, with out a reset or even the nice chunk from having listeners. No one wants to lose alignment unless they are lib.

This would help out quite a bit for those who just cant get a sermon group or even listeners for one sermon. Only thing I think could change with it, maybe make it around 12-15s instead. The reason being, it is also taking away from the work of having to bring all the alts online as well as the initial creation as well.

I've often wounder about this, why they wouldn't put in a mechanic system like this. I've talked about tit to people they seem to like the idea. and now with the 2s alts, i agree this would hit on performance with alts. just use the npc( merchants, traders, wagoner,bartender) we already have in the game and pay their up keep with coin like an alt.

and since we are going to steam with only 1 account possible, this could be a good addition to help priests. +1

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Nicrolis said:

Only thing I think could change with it, maybe make it around 12-15s instead.

Actualy i would argue that it should be slightly cheaper than 10s but not more expensive, alts army has benefit of having semi decent faith gain when holding sermon every 3 hours that is not negliable expecialy a higher faith beside reseting, proposed item would just reset.

And +1 for suggestion, gaining faith is one of the dumbest possible things in this game and using throw away 2s alts should be discouraged by any means possible.

• Like 1

This really is pay to win territory, and sermoning is meant to encourage priests to travel.

However, I can see the appeal for people who keep priest alts...

I can manage to do sermons on the dead servers of Epic, so I can not see at all why this would be a problem anywhere else. We live in a society! Bunch up with your fellow men of the cloth in a nice lil monastery, pray and sermon all day.

26 minutes ago, Etherdrifter said:

This really is pay to win territory, and sermoning is meant to encourage priests to travel.

The game it's self can be considered p2w its just on how you put a spin on it. I could argue someone come new to the game brings in 11 bus and buys all the highs cast of coc with silver they bought from the store. 

If you want to be fair about calling something 2pw you need to put it on a slider from 1 to 10 . 1 being the least and 10 being completely. 

Yes "sermoning" is meant to be in groups, but with different time zones, travel times, real life, and most important low population this really isn't always the most "efficient" use of time, thus having this option would be helpful as an option and productive. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Etherdrifter said:

That ship has sailed long time ago with ability to have alts. this whole game is in a way pay to win if you look it like that.

Mechanics shouldn't encourage force people to do anything. They should travell, hang out with other people because they like it, not because they should achieve 100 faith. Pls, give alternatives to people who lack time or social desire, there are bunch of us who are like that playing this game.

• Like 1

Oh, I am not arguing that wurm isn't pay to win in terms of RMT link (it is built in to RMT), but I would strongly argue that there is a difference between a cash shop item and people alt abusing.

One is a "grey" trade (that the devs endorse, but not all games feel the same), the other is actively the devs taking payment to skip part of the game.

I'd argue against it since the faith and channel grind are the only things standing between all priests and endgame priests; cut the faith grind down and you have easily farmable strongwall/genesis alts; something to be avoided.

1 hour ago, kochinac said:

proposed item would just reset.

actually the suggested item does give the .12 faith

3 hours ago, Arimus said:

my suggestion is a merchant item be added for 10s that allows you to reset your faith gain counter every 3 hours and provides the minimum .12 faith gain for your next sermon regardless of number of listeners.

If the item did just reset then I agree with that :)

1 minute ago, Nicrolis said:

actually the suggested item does give the .12 faith

If the item did just reset then I agree with that :)

i failed to read that, my bad  :) , anyway would go above 10s for it, or it coul just reset without faith gain

Edited by kochinac
  • Like 1

Yep should be over 10s. I'd say it is not a bad thing to still have the chance to lure peeps together for sermoning. I'm aware that most of the time it is just AFK eating computer power but still, some nice interaction always happened around the sermon groups I've been to.

12 minutes ago, Etherdrifter said:

but I would strongly argue that there is a difference between a cash shop item and people alt abusing..

Are you referring to traders ? because this is a indirect cash shop.

13 minutes ago, Etherdrifter said:

cut the faith grind down and you have easily farmable strongwall/genesis alts; something to be avoided.

same could be say with normal skills,  we have coc or BotD items.  and dont forget about meditation this spell have been cut in have with the coc/BoTD

What the OP post proposes is to get rid of lag from all this alts.  It's not a perfect solution but, at the end of the day players will still use alts till something better comes alone.

what is all this BS about pay to win? wurm = pay 2 win you dont even need to raise your faith, you can BUY an entire toon with 100 faith already...  

major +1 to this idea because wurm is already pay to win might as well keep the tradition going

ps: please god move the entirity of wurm to steam... so nobody can buy / sell / trade accounts pretty please i would donate a large sum of money to make this possible if thats what it takes

7 minutes ago, Evilreaper said:

what is all this BS about pay to win? wurm = pay 2 win you dont even need to raise your faith, you can BUY an entire toon with 100 faith already...  

On WO yes Not on Steam.

Seeing development is geared to steam launch, The p2w mechanics is worth talking about.

Surely, if we are to encourage priest alts, then we should do likewise for crafter alts.

Maybe an item so that I can just afk level WS; shall we go the runescape protean item route for crafters?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Etherdrifter said:

Surely, if we are to encourage priest alts, then we should do likewise for crafter alts.

Maybe an item so that I can just afk level WS; shall we go the runescape protean item route for crafters?

He's not asking to afk, He still has to use the item to reset his 3 hour preach tick. Along with a tiny skill tick. instead of having 4 alts in locale.

Big difference to what you are thinking. 

What he explained is... he is willing to pay 10s regardless, for the same amount of gains and money.. but DOES NOT want to run 5/+ alts in background that just sit there and 'lag' the server and choke a lot of resources on customer's PC...

Sounds SMART... company gets MORE for LESS... with an item.. in the shop.. clever...

Grinding faith is STUPID anyway...

Don't think anybody wants to rework it.. and I'd be scared to see what crazy new mechanic gets born around that..

Idea above keeps same thing going but no need to run alts, while you pay the same and do not have to additionally manage new emails/registrations/clients running nonstop when you play.

+1

will be stupid to pass on this one, I'd rather see rework of the faith gain mechanic.. but... we know it wont happen or will be terrifying if it does; lesser 3rd evil it is if.. it gets approved

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Jaz said:

Yep should be over 10s. I'd say it is not a bad thing to still have the chance to lure peeps together for sermoning. I'm aware that most of the time it is just AFK eating computer power but still, some nice interaction always happened around the sermon groups I've been to.

as suggested it gives you the base of reset player count.. but you get the usual extra per prem player within 4tiles or w/e requirement for sermons were... making it a side buff if you gather up it only scales things for the better; also you can solo faith grind in a more convenient way..

A way to have more interaction.. could be.. personal or team minigame/quest/mission.. every xx sermons(performed in local or on the specific deed)... gets a goal to chase.. to get a small bonus equal to 1 or 2 sermons's worth of faith being static.. or scaling with your 'last' sermon could be ..... exploitable with event sermon and than doing your mini quest...... but with a nerf around shenanigans.... it's just a perk.. that gives you a little something for more than..... how some 'tricky' fellas grind it.. but lets not talk about them... To keep it 'fun' it should probably be scaling with amount of characters .. but also .. related to time it takes to achieve it... depending on... how much devs would like to keep players engaged to get that extra bounty of skill sooner..

--edit

as for.. the .12 faith gained with every reset.. guessing it's a new priest char and took the number from lower level grind?

If not... that should just be scaled to the amount gained for 5 listeners...(5 x 2 silver alts..) #IMO

Edited by Finnn

18 hours ago, John said:

I can manage to do sermons on the dead servers of Epic, so I can not see at all why this would be a problem anywhere else. We live in a society! Bunch up with your fellow men of the cloth in a nice lil monastery, pray and sermon all day.

john.. ppl have jobs dude.. 5-10-12-16yo kids do not have the money for sub games.. or they just throw them at wow subs or fortnite skins.... it's the time we live in..

You need a no-lifer or a kid with a lot of access to a computer to pull decent gain from sermons.. alternatively.. 'work' that lets you do the same whenever you want/have to sermon as you're ..actively 'working'(playing)

I'll disagree because of these points.

In addition... every 1 char with such priest-extra-sub.... could have an aura.. giving +1 listener count.. maybe?

Makes being in a sermon with more people additional perk for these who can do it... if not.. back to basics.. doing it whenever you can in a way more convenient way than timering and dealing with more or less polite people messing order of sermons etc..

3 hours ago, gorgian said:

He's not asking to afk, He still has to use the item to reset his 3 hour preach tick. Along with a tiny skill tick. instead of having 4 alts in locale.

Big difference to what you are thinking. 

Faith grind is pretty much afk?

2 hours ago, Finnn said:

john.. ppl have jobs dude.. 5-10-12-16yo kids do not have the money for sub games.. or they just throw them at wow subs or fortnite skins.... it's the time we live in..

You need a no-lifer or a kid with a lot of access to a computer to pull decent gain from sermons.. alternatively.. 'work' that lets you do the same whenever you want/have to sermon as you're ..actively 'working'(playing)

I'll disagree because of these points.

I don't have a lot of characters - I have my main and a priest, not too unusual for the common Wurm player these days. 

What I do have is a lot of friends. Wurm is about co-operation - you can do an infinite amount of stuff but you can't do it alone. Invite your pals over, fletch a few quivers over a sermon or two and there's no need for a fancy orb. I don't want people to pay their way out of having to co-operate.

I don't know how you do it on Freedom, but if somebody skips out of order here we just kill them and destroy everything they hold dear. People tend to stay friendly.

What about a compromise of removing alignment tick requirement (maybe even don't make it tick to allow BL and WL to do their stuff together)? That way you could only preach every 3 hours, but that'd be whenever you want instead of having to deal with rotations (especially at impalongs). It would still make 100 faith something that takes a while, but would simplify things for those without a lot of time to spend. It would also keep the motivation to group up with other players (but still could be gamed by mass alts).