Sign in to follow this  
kgorski

auto-refueling forges

something like forge with attached bsb, and need to cast courier/dark messenger on it - will automatilally takes logs/peat/other fuel from that bsb and fueling forge until it will be snuffed of container become empty.

other version: when rightclick on forge/oven: new option - "fuel cargo open" and will be available there space for items to be used as fuel

Edited by kgorski
  • Like 3

Auto-X? What!? Then why won't I get Auto-Y?! Stick it out, tedious micromanagement is what Wurm is about! Reeeeee.

+1, it's senseless and annoying window clutter to go through opening your fuel BSB to get a single log/cluster of scraps and breaks the otherwise relaxing flow of the imping session.

It'll also be funny to read about people burning their stock of 50k woodscraps because they forgot to snuff their forge before logging off.

• Like 1

I recently started playing on a popular WU server, the simplest QoL improvements are plenty and they don't seem very hard to implement. In this scenario, on each stage of heat drop i get a "forge is running low on fuel" message on the screen and the same, orange, in the event tab so it's well visible. 

Automation might not be a fitting theme in Wurm but if i'm standing in front of the forge, it's logical that i see that it's running low on fuel without sticking my head inside (examining it every so often). 

require a character near by.. for the refueling option to work automatically with enchanted or runed forge..
make it so.. it's like a color rune though.. so courier or w/e.. could be attached/casted and than additionally new rune for size or less fuel could be attached after.. without removing the other auto-fueling effect?

(why should it require a char around? if.. by some chance your character disconnects.. and you lose connectivity overnight or for few days.. being net issues or broken pc/etc.. all of the fuel in that bsb will be burned for nothing...)

alternatively.... if this turns out to be a feature... let there be option.. to burn for X IRL hours or X IN-GAME days(1 day was 3-4hours IRL?)

2nd option seems like a better overall solution.. as long... ingame hour/days have some set amount of fuel.. or the event window tells the player how much will be used... which could be taken at once.. when the forge is set to burn for that long.. or ...could be consuming the resources as the time goes.. and it requires it to refuel(still have to evade the window of time with cooling down of items inside but still burning)

3 hours ago, Locath said:

I recently started playing on a popular WU server, the simplest QoL improvements are plenty and they don't seem very hard to implement. In this scenario, on each stage of heat drop i get a "forge is running low on fuel" message on the screen and the same, orange, in the event tab so it's well visible. 

Automation might not be a fitting theme in Wurm but if i'm standing in front of the forge, it's logical that i see that it's running low on fuel without sticking my head inside (examining it every so often). 

I guess I know where this is coming from.

Quite an efficient change and loved by many players, it is a small thing but after getting the notification many times in a full week of smithing you can't imagine Wurm without it.

Edited by Sklo:D
  • Like 2

Then why not automating everything else? like leveling dirt.. who the hell would get 20 sand heaps in his pockets then stuff them back on the ground.. sounds logical to me you would shovel it from point A to point B. like from crates in the wagon to the floor. o like mining auto, where you stand in front of the tile, right click mine>forward>50 tiles and boom, it mines you 50 tiles straight.. hell, we can even make it so once we log in we can press miraculous AUTO button and the character plays itself. Wuolia!

On 1/17/2020 at 11:35 PM, Skatyna said:

Then why not automating everything else? like leveling dirt.. who the hell would get 20 sand heaps in his pockets then stuff them back on the ground.. sounds logical to me you would shovel it from point A to point B. like from crates in the wagon to the floor. o like mining auto, where you stand in front of the tile, right click mine>forward>50 tiles and boom, it mines you 50 tiles straight.. hell, we can even make it so once we log in we can press miraculous AUTO button and the character plays itself. Wuolia!

If you calm down a bit..

Can you name a bad thing coming from auto-refueling a forge, other than chance to burn through your fuel storage... if this is implemented or set wogically?..

On it's own it's not producing anything, there's only the fuel loss.. 

nobody's talking about factorio, sasisfactory, eco, etc... automatic machinery crafting gameplay

In my case.. I'd use it to set it to burn for 6-8hours pretty much my limit for attention to specific thing to do for the day.. which includes.. spending 10-20-30-60min on something else randomly as I smith.. might take a farming break or go get lots if I'm also crafting new f/c items, go mine 'fresh' ore as I hate to stock up on such.. just the usual wurm nonsense which takes parts to... several hours to deal with the tiny things you need for your daily work goal...

annoying part... smith.. go do something.. return -> forge's unlit... THERE WE GO AGAIN, lets spend 30sec to collect ash, lets make a kindling, lets light up the kindling, lets wait x minute/s to get the metal heated again... lets give it extra time so the metal lump doesn't instantly cooldown when picked up in inventory

great plays..

Do we need this qol, not really, but could be a tiny ease, given the fuel management is **** and doesn't show any exact or "correct" value to tell you how much fuel's left.. (you could read 30-60min/+ and at the next second after examining -> could drop to lower tier of fuel... giving you the wrong idea when to refuel..)

As trivial as it seems to argue over something so simple, if fueling a forge (frequently) is a problem for you, maybe you just need to improve your forge?

That being said, I'll still +1 this, but it still doesn't alleviate the underlying annoyance of a lump going cold in the middle of a grind.

I don't really see why this is necessary. A decent quality forge stays lit for hours.

Wurm's lack of automation is a feature, not a problem, and this is a feature absolutely not needing that automation in the first place. Just drop a few woodscraps or a tar in there every once in a while and you're good.

2 minutes ago, Ostentatio said:

I don't really see why this is necessary. A decent quality forge stays lit for hours.

Wurm's lack of automation is a feature, not a problem, and this is a feature absolutely not needing that automation in the first place. Just drop a few woodscraps or a tar in there every once in a while and you're good.

Especially when nowadays everyone talks about Wurm must be easier for new players and less frustrating this is something which needs to be implemented. At least in the form of a notification as mentioned above.

I agree that there are things about Wurm that could be improved for the new player experience, but automating something as simple and barely-interactive as fueling a forge does not seem necessary.

Maybe it could use more visual feedback, with the flame effects dimming and becoming smaller as a fire gets closer to burning out? That would lessen the need to constantly examine it, and cause fewer "oops" moments where your forge or oven goes out unexpectedly.

Automation is a lazy answer amishly. There was a suggestion a while ago that said we should be able to see how much longer a forge burns for linked to your firemaking skill. That seems MUCH better.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ostentatio said:

Maybe it could use more visual feedback, with the flame effects dimming and becoming smaller as a fire gets closer to burning out?

This would be the most intuitive solution.

2 hours ago, Madnath said:

There was a suggestion a while ago that said we should be able to see how much longer a forge burns for linked to your firemaking skill

Maybe smithing or blacksmithing, but not firemaking.  

1 minute ago, TheTrickster said:

This would be the most intuitive solution.

Maybe smithing or blacksmithing, but not firemaking.  

I'll agree that it's stupid to grind firemaking.. just to see how much longer a fire would burn.....

as it is a skill... it could have a few benefits like ash making bonus, or other... but that's another topic

No automation is okay with me, that fits the game.

But a message when it starts going down would be quite welcome, as would be the ability to see how long a fire will last.