Sign in to follow this  
Jung_

[Resolved] invisible window

Hi there! I'm having an issue with wurm installation on my Gentoo build. I used the tar.gz file to install wurm from the official website.
The game is installed fine, but when i click the settings icon, an 'almost' invisible tiny window pops up, i can't resize it nor use it or close it. I can only kill the process to close it.
This might be either related with my desktop behaviour (KDE) or the Java VM.
I'm posting this screenshot: https://prnt.sc/qocvj1 this is how it looks. Thanks!

It's not invisible per se, there's just some racy part of it. At least on my box it will open correctly after a few tries. It exhibits the same behaviour when you open the settings dialogue from within the game, though it's easier to close since you can hit the settings button again.

You can still close it via right-clicking in task manager.

Considering that this forum seems largely ignored, It's probably a good idea to just post to the client bugs subforum, since it is a client bug.

i can't even close it, i can only kill the java process to get rid of it. i tried both JRE comes with wurm's tar.gz and Gentoo's oracle-jre-bin package, they both do the same behaviour.
also i can't launch the game because 'do you want to submit data' windows also behaves the same.

Edited by Jung_

just set it in the gamesettings.txt(....path_to_game_location\Wurm\configs\ProfileName\gamesettings.txt)?
submit_client_data=2

does this work?

1 hour ago, Finnn said:

just set it in the gamesettings.txt(....path_to_game_location\Wurm\configs\ProfileName\gamesettings.txt)?
submit_client_data=2

does this work?

Part of me hopes this works. Part of me wants to cry if it does. I've spent all morning installing Gentoo on a VM to test this issue.

• Like 2

Installing Gentoo? That can take a whole weekend if you know what you are doing, and I doubt Gentoo patches are the culprit here.

Can you say which library _should_ be responsible for getting the window dimensions correct?

FWIW, I can not repro it on Intel integrated graphics running on Fedora 31 (KDE), but current Gentoo stable (KDE) exhibits the symptoms. I'll see if I can nail this down properly to some specific configuration, though the lack of debug output from the client probably won't help.

//edit1: Fluxbox running on the exact same machine does not exhibit the bug

//edit2: Changing window border size in Appearance->Application Style->Window Decorations changes the bug's behaviour. The default Breeze theme border size is "No Borders", making the window look like in the OP. "Oversized" makes it clear there are window elements being rendered, just the size is wrong

//edit3: Changing the theme to "Plastik" eliminated the bug, while "Breeze" and "Oxygen" exhibit it. This is going to be a fun one

Edited by Batolemaeus

Okay, I've done a bit of digging. This bug is the result of some interplay between window decorations and the program itself. It also screams of race condition, since the bug does not always happen and I think I could modify the frequency by adding/disabling compositor effects.

My hypothesis is that the added window decorations cause some miscalculation of the window size and since it is not resizable it just stays tiny.

Workaround

Change the window decoration style in Appearance->Application Style->Window Decorations to something other than Breeze or Oxygen

or alternatively:

Modify ~/.config/kwinrc and add "NoPlugin=true" to the section "[org.kde.kdecoration2]". Then run "kwin_x11 --replace" to kill all window decorations. Good for testing, obviously bad for actually using the computer

Versions

I can trigger the bug on plasma 5.17.4 (Gentoo), I can't trigger it on 5.17.5 (Fedora)

I tried so hard, and got so far. But in the end, it didn't even matter.

I'm still going to finish this install. I can't stop now.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Batolemaeus said:

Installing Gentoo? That can take a whole weekend if you know what you are doing, and I doubt Gentoo patches are the culprit here.

Can you say which library _should_ be responsible for getting the window dimensions correct?

FWIW, I can not repro it on Intel integrated graphics running on Fedora 31 (KDE), but current Gentoo stable (KDE) exhibits the symptoms. I'll see if I can nail this down properly to some specific configuration, though the lack of debug output from the client probably won't help.

//edit1: Fluxbox running on the exact same machine does not exhibit the bug

//edit2: Changing window border size in Appearance->Application Style->Window Decorations changes the bug's behaviour. The default Breeze theme border size is "No Borders", making the window look like in the OP. "Oversized" makes it clear there are window elements being rendered, just the size is wrong

//edit3: Changing the theme to "Plastik" eliminated the bug, while "Breeze" and "Oxygen" exhibit it. This is going to be a fun one

OMG Guys i thank to all of you, it works now!!! i simply changed the KDE Window Decorations to "Plastik" and it worked.. So many thanks!

Edited by Jung_
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Jung_ said:

OMG Guys i thank to all of you, it works now!!! i simply changed the KDE Window Decorations to "Plastik" and it worked.. So many thanks!

I'm glad. :)

Happy Wurming!

• Like 1

I have the issue with KDE Plasma Desktop and the settings window under OpenSuse Leap 15.1 as well on my second notebook (HP zbook G15). It does not happen with Xfce Desktop but only with KDE, and my unextendable settings window is slightly larger, but can also neither be closed nor extended. I had an issue with Xfce though where the Network Manager does not work correctly (applet terminates) so that WiFi selection is not possible with  that (using wicked).

Edit: Oops read Bartolomeus' post only now. Yes seems to be a race, when closing the rogue window from the panel (that works) it is possible to open the settings window once without changing decorations. Just as a hint.

28HcLMl.png

Edited by Ekcin
added screenshot

Addendum:

I maintain that this is a bug somewhere within the Wurm client. Or more specifically, javafx. However, something vexes me: Why does that window do a this.setResize(false); ? If I override that everything works fine, and I'm not seeing any reason to restrict resizing of the settings window.

Since it's just flipping a boolean, perhaps change it for a test?

This is still persisting even unto other distros - Archlinux under xfce and plasma have the same thing happen upon first install, however it is possible to resize the window.