Sign in to follow this  
TheTrickster

Roads-only toggle, anti-clutz measures

(I know I am new and probably make more suggestions than I should, probably about things discussed years ago - but here I go anyway.  I have a "brainstorm" mentality, as in there are (almost) no bad ideas.)

Freedom of movement is great, but when in a hurry it would be good to stay on the road without having to worry about a misstep sending you falling/sliding to your doom (such an event saw me almost ready to give up on Wurm in the first week or so).  I am told that when driving a large cart it is impossible to fall of the side of the road in this way.  That's terrific but it means that a) horses, bulls etc are cleverer than people and b) new players, who are more likely to be riding shank's pony, have to constantly watch their footing on top all of the other difficulties starting out.  Realistically, who just steps off a precipice?  I would like to propose two possible ways to mitigate this risk.  

Firstly - a "roads only" toggle (like the climb toggle), that functions like an invisible wall, whereby if you would step of the road you are instead deflected and slide along the tile boundary instead.  A slight speed disadvantage would probably be in order, too.

Secondly - this is more just about not falling down and is not specific to roads a pause at the boundary of a precipice before that next step,  enough that if you are paying attention you can stop if you wish, but if you are happy to chance a tumble for whatever reason you can go right ahead.  I did think of auto-enabling climb at the top only of steep slopes but realize that this would probably be a nerf too far.

Edited by TheTrickster

Would be nice to have, doubt the dev time will be put into it and it's probably not worth the rather incremental improvement nor the "handholding" it provides that some folk religiously reject.

The game really has a weird, unintuitive way of communicating your up and down angle though, making it hard to estimate inclinations visually, even after playing some years I still rather rely on scanning the edges with the mouseover and seeing the actual dirts they are inclined. Especially in dense forests. But for what it's worth, there's your tip of the day for maneuvering rougher terrain.

On 1/16/2020 at 7:10 PM, Flubb said:

the "handholding" it provides that some folk religiously reject.

I am just now starting to get an inkling of the scope of that.

It reminds me of a line from a movie "I like my pain!"