Sign in to follow this  
Xvbabyvx

Suggestion : Auto-Travel By Way of Highway system

The whole point of traveling around is exploring and not just going AFK till you get there* (besides ocean sailing).

just my 2 cents, not +1 or -1 , just throwing that out there.

1 hour ago, Flubb said:

I honestly don't understand why auto travel explicitly is such a problem, when portals on the other hand are okay, but my gripe is with investing time actively controlling a menial, senseless task which prevents me from doing better stuff, and anything that gets me reliably around that is good in my book. Though portals have an instant gratification aspect to it that even I understand the controversy about; I usually think of auto travel as a compromise around that.

Good luck pushing portals in defense of manual travel though. I think I can see the doctriners build a second cross. Yours seems to be made from birch.

I see the advantage of auto travel in two aspects:

- First, bridging the otherwise unsurmountable distances between deeds and starter towns for new players. A new player in Wurm is practically under curfew in the area of her or his starter town or village/alliance. There is practically no way to see the world other than suicide teleport (on Xanadu, and, to lesser extent, Independence at least. And on smaller servers, the higher mob population makes things worse). Auto travel should be possible between deeds, too, like sending crates with the wagoner.

- Further on, auto traveling might give an opportunity to see the world, not just afk-ing but watching the changing landscape.

- There should not be auto riding, in my opinion (not that I see that part of the proposal)

1 hour ago, polarbear said:

The whole point of traveling around is exploring

Why this conflation of travelling and exploring though? Generally asking, not just you specifically and not trying to put you into the spotlight or anything. It's just a sentiment that I see often repeated but I can't really subscribe to.

Travelling is a means to an end the way I see it.

It can be exploring.

It can be getting somewhere.

It can be a mixture of both, or lacking either component completely depending on the traveller's intention.

If I wanted to go somewhere regularly, does it even still count as "exploring" if I keep taking the same route along the same highway? What is exploring to you if not discovering unknown areas?

If anything, skipping the areas you already know would be a possibility to go exploring directly, such as in Skyrim. Explore first, return at your leisure later and explore more around the area without dredging through the same mud again. Now that is fast travel, which I understand is more contentious and should definitely be more restricted than what is suggested here, but I don't see how auto travel negates exploring at all. Quite the opposite. I would have been more inclined to explore myself using vehicles/mounts instead of insanity teleport if revisiting discovered locations more easily was an option. Just trying to understand that mindset where manually travelling is so intrinsicly entangled with 'exploring', and what about it makes auto travel so prohibitive.

Auto-traveling from say Starter Town A to deed B located 2800 tiles away is not in any way mutually exclusive to exploring .  It's an option. You can always manually ride there.  Especially for people that have to make the same trips every week or every month. After a while you know your server, you know the deeds, traveling becomes a tedious chore.

This is no way detracts from the exploring experience. You can ALWAYS choose to manually explore the game!

But wouldn't it be nice if I we didn't have to waste 10 minutes of our lives to travel to some places , just to help out a friend with his deed building? Or just going back to the deed after a long hunting trip?  This is just an option , not a replacement for exploration and usual travel. I would love to honestly come back home, kill 100 mobs hunting and NOT have to waste more time just to ride back to deed. It would be a huge quality of life improvement for me. This isn't about insta-gratification. Every time I see a mission my first thought is : How long do I have to travel to get there? Every time I hunt I wonder how far I can afford to stray from deed. It's just cost-benefit analysis in my mind where the benefit of traveling tends to become too little.

This is about saving time in a game where Everything takes a long time to make/realise/create/organize!

Maybe I'm just getting older and I feel I have less and less time to enjoy wurm, but Wurm always had this Hard-core mentality to do things in medieval style, aka at a forced snail's pace. How long did we play without a map? How long did we play without a crafting window for recipes? There were so many QoL improvements over the years that I don't see why this is not one of them.

Many mmos have autotravel features, that are next to free.

By the same logic of examples I've seen don't we use "auto-travel" every day we take the bus, train, tram, etc. to work? Sure you can walk and see some sights, but after you take the same route every day for 500x it gets boring . Wurm basically forces us to do everything manually and honestly, servers are still pretty sizeable and traveling takes waaay too long ,even on fast horses even on good boats.

And saying that "you can always summon soul" is really just proof that wanting to do simple things in wurm involves complicated approaches.

This isn't about making wurm "a theme park ride" but we already have a lot of "automatized" features in wurm that no one seems to mind : combat is pretty much automatic. Sure you can go "manual" but your character does all the fighting. Sailing often times involving just pressing a button, pointing the boat at the right angle then coming back 10 minutes later.

I honestly don't see why we can have something that "eases" a time wasting chore in wurm. I get implementing it might be tough, but as the original idea went, maybe we could use the highway system as a basis to code auto-traveling in wurm. Or we can add auto-travel beacons over the cats eyes or something. I would definitely be willing to work on such projects if it meant that one day I could travel to a friend's deed, leave my PC for 10 mins, make a quick dinner, come back at his deed and have fun.

But I guess I'm just dreaming.

Edited by elentari
  • Like 1

I like the idea, I've always hoped for some kind of automated travel, especially during those early levels when you haven't really settled anywhere or times like when you don't have a horse or the level to ride one. Having a sort of automatic vehicle running back and forth from starter deed to other starter deeds would be great.

Archeage has a similar thing that I experienced on the new relaunch where there is a quest that requires you to travel to another continent... the problem is by the time you get to that quest it's very unlikely you'd have your own vehicle or level high enough to defend yourself on the travel. So they implemented a public boat that takes you to the exact destination, it's like a 20 minute boat ride that leaves every 30 minutes or so.

A timed automatic ride like this would give a sensation of a "bus" ride where if you miss the bus you could potentially be waiting for a good 20-40 minutes for it to come around again. ( I know this is not the exact suggestion but something to consider )

+1 from me

12 hours ago, Cipacadrinho said:

The devs have no obligations to design the game to please you or me or anybody else

I think this misses the point of "game".

To the "no" argument, I ask, is it or is not a sandbox?  You can do what you like, but for many activities you cannot do it how you like.  This would add a bit to the ability to choose how you play in a way that suits your own preferences.  

Why is there a market for anything? Because not every player that e.g. wants to put their stuff away wants to blacksmith ribbon or go cut down trees first every time.  A game that allows micromanagement but doesn't force it is an improvement on one that forces it.  

10 hours ago, polarbear said:

The whole point of traveling around is exploring

That's a little like saying that the whole point of exploring is the travel.  Discovery is the point of exploring, and travel is an incidental requirement.  On the other hand, travel does not require exploring.  In fact, the vast majority of travel is not for exploring and never has been.  In fact, some of the most famous explorers were exploring for the express purpose of making travel/transport easier and/or more cost effective.

I commute (both IRL and in-game).  My in-game commute is very short (I sleep on-deed in the village but mostly "work" in a smallhold across the road), but it may not always be so short.  The is absolutely nothing exploratory about commuting, you basically just want to get between points with the minimum of fuss.  It think this suggestion strikes a good balance.  Explorers could still explorer, while commuters could commute.

6 hours ago, TheTrickster said:
18 hours ago, Cipacadrinho said:

The devs have no obligations to design the game to please you or me or anybody else

I think this misses the point of "game".

No, the point is to make a game they feel like is fun and enjoyable and then you decide on your own if you agree and can have fun playing what they created or not.

Obviously we can make suggestions but whether they decide they are worth adding them to the game or not is up to them.

This would add a bit to the ability to choose how you play in a way that suits your own preferences.  

I agree with you up to a point: Is healthy to have choices but when one choice is so much more convenient and low effort compared to the alternative up to the point where you end up with the game playing itself, then is not really a multiple choice.

Why is there a market for anything? Because not every player that e.g. wants to put their stuff away wants to blacksmith ribbon or go cut down trees first every time.  A game that allows micromanagement but doesn't force it is an improvement on one that forces it.  

This is the heart and soul of Wurm. 

Needing to grind the skills, the materials, the tools in order to create any items in the game. Having a market for these items is how Wurms allows you to not have to micromanage and make everything yourself while rewarding the ones that do. You don't even have to spend money can just specialize and barter or live in a village. You should not be able to live alone and be self sufficient with minimum effort. Is not what Wurm is about.

If they allow micromanagement but don't enforce it then nobody will micromanage since we as humans tend to choose the path of least resistance.

I get burned out on grinding and get fed up with having to make every single thing myself too but when that happens i just take a break.

On 1/17/2020 at 2:18 PM, Cipacadrinho said:

This is the heart and soul of Wurm. 

Needing to grind the skills, the materials, the tools in order to create any items in the game

What a sad statement to make about any RPG, that it's heart and soul is the need to grind.  That would seem to be a damning criticism, not a plea to retain something.  There is a reason it is called "grinding".  The ability to step down into detail to the nth degree is a mechanic that is only enjoyable to a point, as you even said you get burned out by it.  You are saying that an element of the game that burns out players and drives then away rather than drawing them should not only not be addressed but is an important and somehow desired element.  That to me just sounds masochistic.

I didn't start in Wurm to grind everything, but to enjoy a "no preset quests" sandbox environment where I could choose for myself what I want to do.

You should not be able to live alone and be self sufficient with minimum effort. Is not what Wurm is about.

Says you.  That is fine for you, but "sandbox" means that you should be able to do whatever you want.  If I want to be a hermit, then that IS what Wurm is about (and truthfully, for me was almost exactly what attracted me to it).  If I want to hunt all the time, why not?  If I only want to travel as a means to doing whatever else I am about, why not?  No, it is not for you to decide what Wurm "is about" for others.  A choice in this does nothing to take away whatever it is about the current travel that you value, because you can still do it.  If you say you wouldn't do it unless forced, then I would question whether you value it as much as you think you do.

If they allow micromanagement but don't enforce it then nobody will micromanage since we as humans tend to choose the path of least resistance.

I get burned out on grinding and get fed up with having to make every single thing myself too but when that happens i just take a break.

No, this is simply not the case.  The world is full of micromanagers who act that way not because they are forced into it but because they enjoy it.  Besides that, staring at a screen and nudging left and right while getting somewhere else as quickly as possible is not micromanaging.  It is boring.  If you are exploring then great.  If you are merely trying to get somewhere and have no intention to stop and smell the mixed grass then it really is a grind for no good purpose.

So you want to get burned out periodically?  You specifically say that grinding burns you out, but don't want any reduction in the grinding.  I just cannot make sense of that.  You don't want the game to be more enjoyable? 

Edited by TheTrickster
typos - homophone
  • Like 1

Ok so you dismiss my arguments with a simple: says you

Then proceed to present your arguments guess you are getting a: says you too.

Wurm was not made for instant gratification and fast rewards you want that play Minecraft or Ark or similar titles.

You come to Wurm and demand that is made simpler and more automated. Welcome to the club of the other 9999999 people that asked for it and did not get it.

• Cat 1

3 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

So you want to get burned out periodically?  You specifically say that grinding burns you out, but don't want any reduction in the grinding.  I just cannot make sense of that.  You don't want the game to be more enjoyable? 

No game out there satisfies everyone is why i said the devs need to make the game they like not the one the people ask for because then people will ask for conflicting ideeas so since is not posible they should please themseves since they are the ones puting the work in.

So now that we established how a game cannot please everyone can we deduce that Wurm fills a niche that is not necesarily appealing to the "let me play bubble gummy for 10m on my phone"  market?

Then you have  the  i can play 2-3h during the week-end types then the i can play 2-3h daily types and so on...

Each category has games that are perfect for them others that are close but no dice and others that just dont fit with their shedule and playstyle.

If you start eating a pizza first bite is going to be great then as  you keep eating and getting fuller is not going to feel just as good so by your logic all Pizza's should be just one slice not that you should just eat a slice every meal and save the rest for later.

So no i don't want to get burned out on Wurm but when i do i realise is because of me playing it too much not because the game requires a long time to grind the skills to get things done. 

I will make another analogy since i know LurkyFlubby loves them:

Music  has different genres that can be perfect for different occasions and moods. 

Games are the same.

Wurm is not aimed at short or mid term gratification for completion.

You can still get gratified for completing intermediate steps but since the industry moved away from grindy MMO's to please people like you now you have the oposite of the spectrum too.

Want to play fast Wurm? buy Unlimited and join a 10x server or something.

Still too much micro?

Play Fortnite.

Edited by Cipacadrinho

5 hours ago, Cipacadrinho said:

Wurm fills a niche

Yes.  As a sandbox.  It is subtitled "The Ultimate Sandbox MMORPG"  after all.

5 hours ago, Cipacadrinho said:

So no i don't want to get burned out on Wurm but when i do i realise is because of me playing it too much not because the game requires a long time to grind the skills to get things done.

That directly contradicts

11 hours ago, Cipacadrinho said:

6 hours ago, Cipacadrinho said:

Ok so you dismiss my arguments with a simple: says you

No, I was making the point that you were presenting your personal preference as an objective and manifest principle.  I even explained that point and amongst other things said;

9 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

it is not for you to decide what Wurm "is about" for others.

So, no, I was not merely dismissing you.  I was pointing out what I saw as a problem in your assertion.

Also, I am not demanding anything.  I am merely agreeing with a suggestion that I think would enrich the sandbox nature of what I understood to be a sandbox game.  

Grinding and long-term play are not the same thing at all.  

I completely understand someone saying that they don't want something like this.  What I don't understand is someone saying they don't want others to have it either.  It really seems like you only want people to enjoy Wurm in the same way the you do.

Edited by TheTrickster
removal personal argument

If this was faster than riding a horse from point to point, I could see the argument against it. If it’s about cart speed, then I see no issues with it. 

It would be a cool way to add another NPC like the wagoner. Make it cheaper (maybe half?) and perhaps a cart load of passengers. Maybe allow you to remotely summon your own from another deed with a “bus stop” (but it has to travel to you). And add permissions on who can use it (so others wouldn’t tie up the service if you didn’t want). Maybe allow log off after setting off and it’ll dump you at destination for when you log in (so maybe heading back home before you log for the day). 

That’d give a slower but less active way to travel. Going yourself by horse would still be the best, but this way would give a more afk option without being overpowered insta-travel. 

We can already teleport ourselves and use wagoners for goods. Why?

I'm glad I play on a "PvP server" where I still have to navigate by the stars and moons.

If you think about it, most changes in Wurm over the years have been made to make actions "less tedious" without removing difficulty.

A few examples.

1. Plot course (sailing distances are long, it was a good feature). But you still have to build or acquire a boat

2. Crafting window = You still have to create an item, but now the interface is much more friendly. Difficulty of creating items is unnaffected.

3. We have maps now. I don't know how many vets are around that remember the days where we had to keep a jpg file open in parralel with exploring or traveling. This doesn't remove the difficulty to orient yourself but it does make life easier.

4. Leveling while dropping dirt to pile. Used to be the action of digging/leveling added dirt to inventory and you manually had to drop it. Now you can choose to drop it to a pile thus making the action less micro-managing intensive. Big plus.

5. Forestry and harvesting. Now we have a nice almanac that tells us when stuff is in season. Used to be we had to manually calculate seasons till we wanted to harvest stuff.

6. General permissions. How many mayors recall when we had to make alts to hold 60 building writs?  Permission system made everything easier and well centralized. It made setting perms a breeze without having to individually find a piece of paper amongst 50 others like it.

7. Drag and drop to/from bsbs. Remember what fun it used to be when you had to move materials and needed to transfer 5000 carrots, 600 arrows, 2 tons of cotton, etc? That change made the game 9999x more enjoyable since we didn't have to move anything through the player inventory anymore. Did it make wurm an "automatic" theme park? Nope. Just made everything less tedious. And that's really the main word here. Tedium.

Too many things to exemplify to be honest, that have been HUGE quality of life improvements over the years . Did they make wurm easier? NO! Did it make it more user friendly and less intensive from a micro-management perspective? YES!

Auto travel is an option, not an obligation.It wouldn't prevent anyone from exploring but it would make travels way easier when going through the same route you've made 500 times over the years. And honestly I can't really understand people equating Wurm's spirit with = let's make everything a micro managing nightmare fest. Most QoL improvements were made to remove as many actions needed to do simple stuff. In real life can you water a garden with a bucket? Yes. Is a hose often times more effective? Definitely. Someone forcing you to use a tequila shot glass to water said garden? Tedium over 9000.

I don't know how better to explain this. It would be a nice addition to wurm without actually replacing anything. I don't see why I couldn't tell my horse to go to a certain deed, on a certain road he's travelled 100 times in the past at least. Hell, in RL horses are trained to do that, you know?

If you really want to make it more fun, then add it as a subset of Animal Taming. "Instruct animal to take you to <Insert deed there>". Or something like that.

Edited by elentari

On 1/17/2020 at 5:05 PM, TheTrickster said:
On 1/17/2020 at 11:41 AM, Cipacadrinho said:

Stop making statements without even presenting arguments to substantiate them is a mediocre internet discussion behaviour.

What i said is not a contradiction because you can complete a goal by playing 1h/day is just going to take you longer.

The choice of playing god knows how many hours a day is the player's choice.

So if i play 5h/day to complete that goal faster than i would by playing 1h/day and burned myself out in the process then is my fault not the game's design.

They even have the fatigue system  put in in order to stop nerds going full wurm :)

You never did something you liked and hoped you will never get tired of it but you know you eventually will? If not then you might be the perfect boyfriend.

On 1/17/2020 at 5:05 PM, TheTrickster said:

I completely understand someone saying that they don't want something like this.  What I don't understand is someone saying they don't want others to have it either.  It really seems like you only want people to enjoy Wurm in the same way the you do.

You miss an important factor in your thinking: Is called adaptation.

You want the devs to adapt to your requirements while refusing to adapt to what they decided they want their game to be and claim is flawed design that makes people not want to play the game.

It might be in your case but that just means Wurm might  not be for you or that you are operating on a different consumer market speed of playing games.

Slow down. Chill. Play Wurm to relax not to complete quests. Is why they did not even put quests and raids in it.

My thinking is: i saw Wurm i informed myself what is about i knew it was a game where everything you do is dependant on a skill and on that said skill's level.

At that point i made a decision if i want to play it or not and if i am willing to accept and adapt to the concept of the game and be okay with it.

I knew i get too focused and invest too much time trying to complete an objective and burned myself along the way. The time you spend playing is your call not the devs. 

You want to make "little changes that would please me" and turn Wurm into a casual 1 month experience be sort of another flavor of the month game you buy on steam and then stop playing after making a house and a boat and just tell your friends you cannot wait for them to make wurm 2 but with better graphics  this time and flying mounts.

Wurm is still monthly subscription is in their interest for things to be slow.

I want them to switch to PoE style where all gameplay aspects are free and they sell skins and cosmetics and stash slots (stash not inventory) for money.

PvE skills and actions in Wurm are slow. You have faster everything in Wurm Unlimited, 4x actions on Jackal, 2x xp on Epic with guarantee skill ticks.

Choose any of those if pve Wurm is too slow for you.

Is also very ignorant behaviour to think that after 15 years of Wurm you are the first guy to show up and say: but what if they make this and that like all flavor of the month games out there? Dont they want ppl to play the game?!!!!!!!

The answer is they do.. is why they don't make it a forgettable experience. You want to achieve something in Wurm you can if you work hard enough and long enough.

Edited by Cipacadrinho
  • Cat 1

1 hour ago, Cipacadrinho said:

You want the devs to adapt to your requirements while refusing to adapt to what they decided they want their game to be and claim is flawed design that makes people not want to play the game.

The problem I see with this attitude is that the consumer-producer relationship is rather asymmetrical and tipped in favor of the consumer. No business is entitled to having customers, and customers can just choose a different product. CCAB only has this game, while players have many other options that respect their time and preferences more. It's the old "whoever cares less in a relationship wins" rule.

I agree with you in principle here but pragmatically these "doctrines" - as much as CCAB has the right to stick to them - seem more and more like a grave than conviction to a vision. It's one of the reasons I chose to cash out of OGWO while it's still possible and will carefully observe SWO as a last chance for the game to gain any traction again.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cipacadrinho said:

Wurm is still monthly subscription is in their interest for things to be slow.

That logic is flawed in itself. Free to play games use that technique to make things intentionally slow in order to "manipulate" players into buying "speed boost" packs to complete actions faster. But that's just petty game design focused on greed and exploiting player psychology.  But wurm doesn't have such options, instead what we have are skills, tools and spells to make things fast and of high ql.

There's a HUGE difference between doing things at a slow place by game design VS making them tedious. I made a specific distinction between "difficulty" and "tedious" . What inherent difficulty used to be there in transferring 10 000 items from one bsb to another? The repetion in itself was tedious and was offputting to many.

This isn't about making "little changes that would please x player" but rather logical game design decisions that FREE UP time for players to actually ya know....enjoy the game? There is literally nothing rewarding in traveling after you explore a server. Traveling becomes a chore, like many things, which ultimately tends to snowball into players getting burned out or quitting.

Why do so few people do rifts these days? Little reward to even make the trip.

Why do you think players enchant grass? So they don't have to go through the tedium of having to replant each week grass or farm tiles for horses.

Anyway, I dont know why I keep hammering the same point. People that keep saying "wurm is a niche game, things are supposed to be slow,  yada yada" keep forgetting that player population has dropped to critical levels that aren't sustainable. Yeah it's a niche game....that's going to be a nice epitaph for it with the mentality that "everything HAS to be slow."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, elentari said:

People that keep saying "wurm is a niche game, things are supposed to be slow,  yada yada" keep forgetting that player population has dropped to critical levels that aren't sustainable. Yeah it's a niche game....that's going to be a nice epitaph for it with the mentality that "everything HAS to be slow."

So the solution is to have "the slow" parts replaced with ones that make the game play the character on his own while the player is afk?

Remove the grind? WoW did that right? With each expansion things got easier. And they still lost subs. People get bored of a game no matter how fast or slow the gameplay is.

1 hour ago, Cipacadrinho said:

So the solution is to have "the slow" parts replaced with ones that make the game play the character on his own while the player is afk?

Remove the grind? WoW did that right? With each expansion things got easier. And they still lost subs. People get bored of a game no matter how fast or slow the gameplay is.

bull****... for example... in granado espada it was all about teleports... PoE is all about teleports... you just GO TO WHERE THE FUN IS... it's not about the journey, sometimes you just want to be where you can do the thing you want and not waste time on the scenic road

• Like 2

+1 for auto-navigation that does not protect you from mob aggro.

I'd still prefer alliance/deed teleport network of some kind.... rather than traveling anywhere, links the more active points.. and keeps only hotspots that are active and wealthy to build such.. rather than... traveling to any highway deed's waystone; makes doing certain missions a no-brainer 😬

Not against this kind of movement.. but... instant friendly porting seems much more useful imo, rather than spending x minutes afk or not.... traveling with the "npc bus"

you've gotten the idea more replies that it had the 2 times it's been suggested before so congratz for not googling it i guess.
It's also cool to see the cardinal auto-direction suggestion here too.
I have prudent information but wrote it on the other threads, nice replies.

Edited by Steveleeb
  • Like 1

On 1/18/2020 at 1:05 AM, TheTrickster said:
On 1/17/2020 at 7:41 PM, Cipacadrinho said:

Stop making statements without even presenting arguments to substantiate them is a mediocre internet discussion behaviour.

Cipacadrinho, you only copy/pasted half of the statement.  The substantiation which you claim was not presented was the very next quotation, which you omitted when you quoted me.  To make it clear - you specifically said that the grinding burns you out and then later specifically said that the burnout is NOT because of the grinding. You stated both A and Not A - which is by definition contradiction.  Your accusation of not presenting substantiating argument is false, but then you made the accusation without substantiating it (and in fact what you omitted falsified your accusation).

Is also very ignorant behaviour to think that after 15 years of Wurm you are the first guy to show up and say: but what if they make this and that like all flavor of the month games out there?

Please stop trying to tell me what I think.  You don't know what I think, you only know what I post. 

My thinking is: i saw Wurm i informed myself what is about i knew it was a game where everything you do is dependant on a skill and on that said skill's level.

At that point i made a decision if i want to play it or not and if i am willing to accept and adapt to the concept of the game and be okay with it.

Yes, I agree.  I specifically sought the most open sandbox available and found Wurm, with the tagline "The Ultimate Sandbox MMORPG" .  I read a bit about it, and decided I would try it, understanding it to be a sandbox environment with roughly medieval level technology and a touch of fantasy.  I have not found anything in any of the documentation content that the concept of the game is "Everything must be a grind" with the possible exception of your own assertion.  If that is what it is for you, great.  For me that is like saying that the chief enjoyment of hiking is getting blisters.

Edited by TheTrickster
separate issue

You want to make "little changes that would please me" and turn Wurm into a casual 1 month experience be sort of another flavor of the month game you buy on steam and then stop playing after making a house and a boat and just tell your friends you cannot wait for them to make wurm 2 but with better graphics  this time and flying mounts.

Please stop saying "you want" all the time.  I have already addressed this. You don't know what I want; all you know is what somebody else altogether said they want and that I agreed that I think it would be an enhancement to the game for some.  I can say for certain that both of those statements about what I want are in error.

Please provide some substantiation that the developers decided that they want their game to be all about grinding for everything.  This seems to be the crux of your objection, that nothing should be made easier of simpler because grinding is the whole point of the game.  I read up a bit on Wurm, and while there were statements like  "you have to make everything yourself" I never came across anything that said grinding was itself an objective.  Some of the DIY - well actually most - is better for being that way.  I value my low QL rowing boat inordinately simply because it started as trees and some seeds - yes it was a slow process but progress was measurable and it built up to the achievement; it almost became a grind by the time I finished it, which probably means it was pitched about right for me, it is mine in a way that a bought one would not be.  I value my animals, because I have either caught or bred them and groomed them and fed them and fattened them up and they are mine in a way that they would not be if they simply existed without the need of husbandry.  However, I almost never get to a routine destination and felt a sense of achievement for having got the the end of the highway without falling off and dying or feel some sense of attachment to my journey.  If it is someplace I haven't been, then yes for sure there is an achievement and I would have no problem ruling out "auto travel" for places you haven't been. 

Of course there is flawed design, unless you are claiming that the game has reached genuine perfection and there is nothing to improve.  Politely discussing "flaws" as opportunities for improvement is in most contexts considered a good approach.  Whatever the specifics may be, there is something about the the game that makes people not wan to play it.

I think that the suggestion of being able to align your travel with cardinal directions is probably the easiest to implement and I think would have the least impact on the aspects of the game that you seem to value.  We can plant in the centre of a tile without having to work out the centre, and we can place things in the centre of a tile in the same way, and we can also centre our view with a press of "v", so this would not be a major departure from existing capability.