Sign in to follow this  
Xvbabyvx

Suggestion : Auto-Travel By Way of Highway system

Make it Possible to Auto-travel by way of the highway system. Basically Idea is for a player to be able to pay a minimal fee to travel on the highway system from Point A to Point B. The Traveling can be done by 
1. Hitching a ride with a Wagoneer. Great for new players or player who may have died without a spawn location and had to respawn at a beginner deed.

2. Using your own Mount/Cart/ Wagon to Travel. Could Help with the dilemma of going to Events such as impalongs/ Holiday events or Slayings without a mount. This will help with the issue of people wanting to attend but not wanting to leave their mount/cart/wagon behind to be summoned. 

For Using your own Mount/ Cart /Wagon if more than 1 person is in vehicle then I'd suggest a Discount say a Large cart with 2 people going to say destination would 1.5c/1000pcs but would still have to be paid for by the commander of the vehicle.

My suggestion would 1 copper per 1000 tiles of Travel with a minimum of 1 copper fee. But this fee will include Auto-travel to destination chose on the highway system. If you "disembark auto-travel" you still pay the fee. Auto-travel includes No attacks by aggressive creatures.

On Pvp Servers it doesn't include no attacks from other players but would include no attacks from aggressive creatures not controlled by players.

Player may Disembark auto-travel at any given time but in order to re-embark auto travel they must travel to the next waypoint and Pay for travel to their new destination.

I also suggest that auto-travel speeds up travel on highway system by atleast 25% with Options to Pay a Larger travel Fee to make the Travel Faster.

Like For Slayings, Events / Impalong traveling........ If its the wagoneer it can still take multiple passengers... who are going to same destination

* Fees / Tiles /% are just a suggestion but was trying to keep things affordable for even the newest of players. The Fees/ Tiles Ratio may need to be Adjusted for Different Servers.. I was using Celebration as an idea when I did this and came up with an ideal fee.. But for Larger Servers like Indepence or Xanadu the it may need to be 2000+ /1copper 

• Like 8

I think the amount to pay would need an increase, smaller servers wouldnt cost much to basically go anywhere. maybe around 1c per 200 tiles or so.

Only other thing would be the auto travel speed. I think it should be slightly faster than a normal wagon or cart, but be slower than if you had geared 5 speeds attached. maybe speed should be around 23-25kmh? that could bring it in line with having non geared but fast horses.

Those 2 points aside, I like the idea

Edited by Nicrolis

+1 from me.  Would be a good incentive to connect deeds to the highway for people do don't do bulk trades.

With boats you can afk and watch Netflix to your destination.  It would be nice to bring land travel between deeds in line with boats.  This would not take away from the exploration factor in wurm, because as soon as you step off the beaten path you're on your own again.

Also allow actions while riding this way so a 4 hour trip normally doing nothing could be used to imp or skill grind for the hard-workers

Edited by Toma

33 minutes ago, Xvbabyvx said:

On Pvp Servers it doesn't include no attacks from other players but would include no attacks from aggressive creatures not controlled by players.

On pvp servers there still is prehistorical era. Highways were not invented yet :D 

• Like 1

We have to think about what happens when a player logs out, or accidentally loses connection en route - do they carry on to the end of the journey like a boat trip? or do they stop where they are wherever that may be and have to make their own way, like a cart?

if a player can leave the trip at any point, how will that work when there is some graphics glitch, latency or lag, and the client position (from the point of view of the player) does not match up with where the server thinks it is?

but a nice idea.

30 minutes ago, Skatyna said:

On pvp servers there still is prehistorical era. Highways were not invented yet :D 

Thank you for the information I am still.. a newer player and have never been to a PVP server 

29 minutes ago, Muse said:

We have to think about what happens when a player logs out, or accidentally loses connection en route - do they carry on to the end of the journey like a boat trip? or do they stop where they are wherever that may be and have to make their own way, like a cart?

if a player can leave the trip at any point, how will that work when there is some graphics glitch, latency or lag, and the client position (from the point of view of the player) does not match up with where the server thinks it is?

but a nice idea.

I would say if the player willingly Signs out then it would count as a disembark or that up to the devs if they just continue when they sign back in due to some servers being SO huge.  As for a Disconnect.. Server crash they would just continue on their route when reconnected ... As for Graphic glitches and lag.. it's a risk.. unfortunately that maybe someone else can come up with a way to help prevent :)

• Like 1

So you want to call an uber to take you to the impalong? :)

I think the issue  could be solved by being able to care for animal husbandry skill level allowed number of animals on your deed's server and for the others you should be able to care for 1 or 2 animals while being deedless and this could solve the whole issue.

They could make it a loyality system reward thing: buy a care plate that unlocks  a care slot on non deeded server and is capped at 1 or 2 / character.

They could not make it all about the money and do: 1 free care on a deedless server at 60 animal husbandry and another one at 70 skill. This way could incentivise people more to get it above 50.

Automating long distance travel is a detriment to the game in my opinion because you remove the random encounter factor and the exploring of areas since everyone will just auto travel and go walk the dog for 15m or something.

For me is like the equivalent of adding flying in WoW it was a great QoL improvement but pretty much removed the players interactions with the world. Obviously Wurm is a different beast but you get the ideea.

12 minutes ago, Cipacadrinho said:

but pretty much removed the players interactions with the world

This rhetoric still boggles me.

What's the benefit of forcing players into gameplay that they clearly avoid like the plague given the chance?

If someone is setting out to go somewhere, what interaction do you expect them to stop for? Whose experience are such distractions supposed to enrich in this equation?

It can take a sizable chunk out of a normal adults playtime to travel anywhere even on small servers, making it a huge dealbreaker for most people to do anything but sit on their deeds - and consequently not interact with the world at all. And that's what is currently happening. How exactly will this many times over requested feature make the situation worse than it already is?

No, WoW is not an applicable base for a comparison to make your point because WoW requires you to go places to do your stuff, there's no player housing where virtually almost all aspects of the game can take place.

1 hour ago, Flubb said:

What's the benefit of forcing players into gameplay that they clearly avoid like the plague given the chance?

If someone is setting out to go somewhere, what interaction do you expect them to stop for? Whose experience are such distractions supposed to enrich in this equation?

It can take a sizable chunk out of a normal adults playtime to travel anywhere even on small servers, making it a huge dealbreaker for most people to do anything but sit on their deeds - and consequently not interact with the world at all. And that's what is currently happening. How exactly will this many times over requested feature make the situation worse than it already is?

No, WoW is not an applicable base for a comparison to make your point because WoW requires you to go places to do your stuff, there's no player housing where virtually almost all aspects of the game can take place.

Just because you don't enjoy interacting with people does not mean others do not.

And that is just one aspect of it: 

You  could also run into tough mobs, discover unique mobs, discover abandoned deeds, discover orchards, dicover forest of specific trees not available where you live that you could need or really cool tucked away places that could mean the start of a new deed for you or could recommend these spots to others, you could run into veins of metal or rock that you might not have where you live and could be needing them or could run into a ragged down newbie down on his luck lost and hungry.

Being able to auto afk travel means you want them to automatize/script a significant part of the Wurm experience.

Having  wagoneers that can be used to haul really heavy loads makes sense because then the player does not have to make multiple trips with a slow wagon full of stuff to deliver an order to someone but having the ability to auto afk travel anywhere rather than use a 30km/h horse or a high imped runed ship, is too much.

It would lower the demand for traited horses and bisons, horse gear and casts on it  and for ships,  ship imps and runes.

Then it would lower the demand for weapons and armor because you could stop and fight or have to fight along the way to and from your destination and those add up and wear and tear your gear which means you need to reimp or buy good  gear for your travelling alts too.

It would stop the need for creating more tunnels (by land or water) or roads and bridges that would be shortcuts to get faster to some places because you could just auto afk the long route because what is 10m extra/trip when you dont have to spend months making a tunnel and a road to cut the trip shorter.

It would also waste the devs developing time since there is Summon Soul available on pve servers why should they code in yet another "i dont feel like pressing keys to travel" system for you? Oh Summon Soul is 80 faith and 100 favor? Cool start grinding :)

It will decrease the need for high ql high casted compasses since the newbie spawn one would be good enough for running around in your deed area and just auto afk travel anywhere else.  How many skills are needed for a chance to make a high ql compass? :)

Too many other systems would be impacted because rather than using a fast mount with high ql hear you would rather afk for 15m while the game plays itself for you.

If that is an issue for you then take a break from Wurm.

Edited by Cipacadrinho
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cipacadrinho said:

Just because you don't enjoy interacting with people does not mean others do not.

You've just turned the argument completely on its head and missed the point. The real bottom line is that just because you enjoy these things, others should not be forced into it. If you like the random encounters, you're free not to use auto travel and will not begrudge you for that choice at all.

30 minutes ago, Cipacadrinho said:

Being able to auto afk travel means you want them to automatize/script a significant part of the Wurm experience.

No, it's a significant part for your experience. Other people like myself just sat on their deed crafting all the time because travel isn't a satisfying experience for us.

I like (AKA take rather great offense on) how you're trying to imply that I'm being the unempathetic one with your first statement, which is quite transparently your very own shortcoming in this. I'm not trying to take your precious travelling away, where do you even get this from? Where did I say manual travel should not be an option anymore? Or what else even implied in my previous post that no one at all likes it?

It's clearly you who should abide by the flip side of your first statement and accept not everyone is into the same stuff as you, rather than being a gatekeeping hypocrite.

11 minutes ago, Cipacadrinho said:

It would lover the demand

Basically:

"muh

MARKET"

If you have to argue with complete conjecture and assumptions about an implementation that hasn't even happened, don't bother. Whoever said that auto travel cannot take traits and gears into the equation? Strawman argument.

14 minutes ago, Cipacadrinho said:

If that is an issue for you then take a break from Wurm.

I'm already on an indefinite Wurm break, and insane travel times are precisely one major dealbreaker why that is. This does absolutely nothing to solve the problem though. Advocating for changes that would alleviate the problems that made me leave is the best next thing. So what precisely was the point of this imperative? Just a petty attempt to shoot down dissenters?

• Like 1

"If you like the random encounters, you're free not to use auto travel and will not begrudge you for that choice at all."

Where did I say manual travel should not be an option anymore? Or what else even implied in my previous post that no one at all likes it?"

Say you need to  get to the 4th floor of a building.

You are in the lobby. 

You can take the stairs or the elevator?

Which one do you choose?

You know the stairs are healthier but require more effort

So you and me and 90% of people hop in the elevator and the stairs  are reduced to being relevant only when the elevator is broken.

"It's clearly you who should abide by the flip side of your first statement and accept not everyone is into the same stuff as you, rather than being a gatekeeping hypocrite."

Is one thing to not like a certain aspect of a game and another to ask the devs to implement something in said game that would allow you to not even have to deal with that aspect in the first place.

Then you argue that i am against the proposal because i dont want the wurm market/economy (muh market) to shrink because of it?!

How is that unreasonable in a game that prides itself on being one where everything is player made and player controled?

You would rather have them make a script that would automate  traveling and lower the need for many player skills and player made items? What is Wurm about sir?

What is to stop then people that burned out and hate imping demand that imping items should be automated? Sure manual imping can stay in the game but who is gonna do it then?

What is to stop then people that burned out and hate resources gathering to demant that resource gathering should be automated? Sure manual resource gathering can stay in the game but who is gonna do it then?

What is to stop the people that burned out trying to grind faith and channeling on their priest demand that faith and channeling grind should be automated? Sure manual faith and channeling grind can stay in the game  but who is gonna do it then?

"I'm already on an indefinite Wurm break, and insane travel times are precisely one major dealbreaker why that is"

Cool nothing last forever a break will give  you the chance to miss it. 

"Advocating for changes that would alleviate the problems that made me leave is the best next thing. So what precisely was the point of this imperative? Just a petty attempt to shoot down dissenters?"

You have a solution use summon soul. The devs have no obligations to design the game to please you or me or anybody else. They have an obligation to make the best game they could think of. Even the most perfect game will have people quit it because they spent too much time in it.

Make an experiment for me:

Think of your absolute favorite food.

Got it? Cool.

Now proceed to be the only food you eat.

3 times a day.

How long would you last before craving something else?

Something that would never be your choice in normal circumstances but now it sounds delicious?

You played too much and are burned out (i burned myself out too and just took a break) so now you just think the solution to make Wurm enjoyable is any proposal that allows you to afk and not play Wurm and then you claim that would make you come back to play Wurm? You see the irony? You want them to put in systems where you dont have to play the game in order to come back and play the game :)

As for the personal shots here and there i guess they are just the mediocre internet go too's: i dont agree with your position so i must be insecure vengefull or have something against you :)  Nevermind i provided plenty of game related arguments in my replies to support my position the truth is i must have something pshicologicaly wrong with me and/or against you.

Cool.

Edited by Cipacadrinho

Honestly I don't see how an auto travel system can Negatively impact wurm.

Say I'm a new player. I want to explore the land but have zero clue where I am going.  I've just gotten a horse, and can ride but don't know the lay of the land or worse...i get lost.

Wouldn't it be a nice feature to set your horse to ride from Starter deed On deliverance to another deed 20 minutes away? I mean honestly it's one of the things that actively contributed to my dislike of many wurm travels including pvp = long travel distances. Like a lot of wurmians, I think the age demographic is somewhere over 25+ where most of us have jobs and can't play as much as we want. I can't afford to spend 30 minutes travelling. I'd rather simply tell the game to take me from point A to point B, on a road I've already travelled 100 times now.

If you want to make it an earn-able system, simply introduce this :

"Discover Locations "  = you can't auto travel to places unless they are already known by you or are marked as Landmarks in game, known by your character.

The idea to actively pay- in coppers per 100 tiles, 200, 1000 tiles is a sort of pay to win system for me. I personally dislike it . I find wurm expensive due to having also to pay for sub + deed.

This is simply an option really, NOTHING actually prevents you from exploring the game.

This old-school-design thinking that we have to do everything manually becomes a chore after one point.

And every time I leave the deed to do something I have to take into account every Minute i stray from deed, is another + Minute I have to add on the way back.  That is real time where I'm not enjoying the game, but simply retracing my steps back to deed. Not actively gaining any skill. Not actively having fun.

My two cents. +1 For implementing an auto travel system.

Wurm is too micromanaging intensive as it is.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Muse said:

It would require some change for passengers on board of carts (maybe only auto traveling ones), also an upgrade to wagons (at least one additional seat, best at the front), much like that for ships. A logged off player would then stay on board (on the same server of course, but that is not an issue for land vehicles). Ok, would be unattackable then by mobs, but that is the case with ships too when attacked, say, by a sea serpent, or a drake spirit on PvP servers, the logged in crew potentially wiped, the logged off passenger surviving. Not really a problem.

11 hours ago, Muse said:

would be nasty as it is now for carts, horses, and ships, probably requiring a relog, in worst case, GM help.

11 hours ago, Muse said:

but a nice idea.

Yes, +1 for it (I proposed something similar earlier inside a QoL thread and welcome the suggestion very much).

1 hour ago, Cipacadrinho said:

Say you need to  get to the 4th floor of a building.

I'm gonna cut you short there. You cannot answer my question. You're just sliding off into hypothetical drivel that has barely resemblances with the situation at hand.

FYI I usually take the stairs over the elevator. Speak for yourself.

And actually, if going to the 4th floor is too exhausting for some folk, like the elderly, just having stairs is being rather exclusive, isn't it?

I concede that "muh market" was a bit off a facetious reach there, it's true that not every "demand" equates market participation. However, I maintain that the general need for stuff being eliminated is based on your idea of an implementation that puts your arguments in the most favourable position possible, when nothing is set in stone and you could equally propose ideas for aspects that would appropiately involve gear and player made content, keeping the "Wurm spirit". So these arguments are pretty stale to me, because the way you present them feel rather shoehorned into your premise of not liking auto travel. Which is fine, you don't have to like it...or use it for that matter...if you lack the conviction to stick to it, that's on you, and you alone. I don't resent people for taking the elevator, as their choices don't impact mine.

EDIT: To actually put forth some examples and constructive ideas in this direction, let's go over some of your "points" to illustrate what I mean with you shoehorning them into your premise.

Horse traits and gear can still increase the travel speed.

A sufficiently fast horse will already outrun all mobs and make combat along the way unneccessary, so that's a moot point really. However, I'd be all for being able to be attacked during auto travel, continuing combat as normal. So make sure your horse is fast enough and your alt well equipped enough.

If a tunnel makes you arrive an hour earlier, however, it will still be made. If it's a 10 minute detour, I doubt it would be made in the current situation either. This is not really a good point to argue on, we can just pull numbers and conjecture about what people will do out of our bums all day, but I find it pretty elementary that highway based auto travel is more of an incentive to build infrastructure, not the opposite?! Your objection is that some decrepit little tunnel that has minimal benefit won't be built? I think we'll survive that.

I dunno what to say about the high QL compass really. The benefit is so miniscule and just nice to have? But to really go and entertain the idea, what about "calibrating" pauses at each turn and waystone? A better compass will shorten the pause like it does the settle time. Suddenly a good compass is just as good to have for auto travel as it is for manual travel.

You want them to put in systems where you dont have to play the game in order to come back and play the game

It's about removing hurdles that keep one from aspects they actually enjoy. I'm already "not playing" that aspect you mention, because it's unengaging and a waste of time to me. The only difference between both scenarios is that in one I'm stuck at my deed with the next neighbor 45 minutes away, locking direct player interaction away behind 1) Packing up and moving entirely, hoping the new neighbors actually stick around OR 2) biting the bullet and being on a virtual road for most the play session.

Or I just don't bother at all. All of these options are terrible though.

Your appeal to "Just use summon soul" also flies pretty much in the face of Retrograde's insistence that "one toon is enough" because just about everyone would need a second toon to properly substitute auto travel to make every destination reachable that would currently be via highway. Just kinda funny to me.

Incidentally, Summon Soul still has 0 travel time, so if it's available over a highway connection, it'd still be used over that.

Wurm isn't going to unravel at it seams because of this, your doomsaying is pretty over the top.

Offtopic continuation:

Spoiler

Also, I actually misread your first statement a bit. You're equating "travel" to "interacting with people"?

Okay, first of all the point of auto travel is being less inhibted to visit people you actually want to interact with, not just shoot a cordial "o/" into local to. So you've again massively missed the point in a way I couldn't even conceive at the time of reading so I filled in the blank as a general milk-toast "You gotta respect other peoples preferences". And that sentiment is still close enough to how I took it at first, I just wanted to elaborate on the finer detail of what is "being liked" and not.

But you proclaim this "Everyone likes different things" sentiment like I'm the one disrespecting it, even though that is exactly the premise I operate on.

And then you go off into mental gymnastics to defend why your preference is something everyone else should abide by (unreasonably long and dull travel, which, by the way, I barely ever met people on). And it is your preference, no matter you much you baselessly insist that "This is an integral part of the game you must play". And your preference is just as valid as everyone elses, but everything being equal, you're being exclusionary, not I.

And that is the simple, unbridled hypocrisy to me. And I'm not saying you are doing this out of spite, or malevolence. I find it more likely that it is your own biases being unchecked and a lack of rhetorical dilligence on your part.

But if anything is a mediocre internet go to, it's your armchair psychology trying to "analyze" me (and being completely off the mark with every single statement that you throw out in a lazy shotgun approach), while I merely point out demonstrable discrepancies in the rhetoric you actively display.

On that note:

and then you claim that would make you come back to play Wurm

Okay, that's probably splitting hairs but...no, I wouldn't come back from this change alone. I said it was "one major dealbreaker". Among, you know, other things that made me leave eventually, so this wouldn't bring me back and nowhere near did I say it would.

I just wanted to address this hilariously baseless assertion that you make in your flailing attempts at discrediting me.

Edited by Flubb

53 minutes ago, Flubb said:

It can take a sizable chunk out of a normal adults playtime to travel anywhere even on small servers, making it a huge dealbreaker for most people to do anything but sit on their deeds - and consequently not interact with the world at all. 

If we would get insta/ auto travel then I will have to get insta/ autobuilding.

I hate building in Wurm at least as much as you do traveling. It takes my playtime that i could spend otherwise. And I am kinda, lightly forced to do so, because of security of my stuff.

We are either in this together, or either we gonna whine and ask for every single personal luxury, that some are calling "qol". We're all wurmians, we all gotta deal with stuff that we dont like, but others do.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Flubb said:

I'm gonna cut you short there. You cannot answer my question. You're just sliding off into hypothetical drivel that has barely resemblances with the situation at hand.

Going to the 4th floor with an elevator or going 4000 tiles away with auto travel is the same thing you just choose to ignore it because of, dunno,  coping mechanism?

15 minutes ago, Flubb said:

It's about removing hurdles that keep one from aspects they actually enjoy. I'm already "not playing" that aspect you mention, because it's unengaging and a waste of time to me.

That is a fair point. But what happens when another player does not like another aspect of the game? Shoud that be scripted and automated to apease their preferences?  How long untill all Wurm's sytems have to be automated because one or multiple players don't like them?

17 minutes ago, Flubb said:

Your appeal to "Just use summon soul" also flies pretty much in the face of Retrograde's insistence that "one toon is enough" because just about everyone would need a second toon to properly substitute auto travel to make every destination reachable that would currently be via highway. Just kinda funny to me.

No, what is funny is that you play an MMO (Massive Multipleyer Online) but expect to be able to do everything the game has to offer alone and be self sufficient like in some offline game.

45 minutes ago, Alkhadias said:

I hate building in Wurm at least as much as you do traveling. It takes my playtime that i could spend otherwise. And I am kinda, lightly forced to do so, because of security of my stuff.

I hear ya, but you need to do that only once and can be minimalistic about it once your stuff is safe and sound, and it's never an inhibiting factor afterwards.

Also, isn't a deed with no pickup permissions for other people enough in PvE to protect your stuff? Unless I'm missing something, that's a quick, no effort way of protecting your goods. It doesn't look pretty but if you're not into building, it'll do?

EDIT: A short insert. The quote below would make auto travel pretty on par with building then, I think. Having to travel to a location once manually is a fair compromise. If you only have to do it once, splitting it over multiple play sessions is a more reasonable goal, just like you don't build your hoses in one session. Imagine you had to build your house in each play session again. That's effectively how travel is.

1 hour ago, elentari said:

"Discover Locations "  = you can't auto travel to places unless they are already known by you or are marked as Landmarks in game, known by your character.

And for what it's worth, you can hire builders. Hiring an impromptu Taxi to somewhere is less of an option unless a priest is at your destination. Whatever you don't want to do, you can usually trade for it. Every single craft operates like this, nobody wants to be able to trade their pottery with weapons to some NPC, I think everyone is just fine trading real players for it. However, I don't see Travel being largely a tradeable commodity in this game in the same way, with comparable availability or feasibility. If you can think of a way to appropriately level these aspects, I'm all ears.

41 minutes ago, Cipacadrinho said:

Going to the 4th floor with an elevator or going 4000 tiles away with auto travel is the same thing you just choose to ignore it because of, dunno,  coping mechanism?

The "situation at hand" is that people aren't taking the stairs either because you might aswell pee in a bush on ground level instead of going to the toilet at the 4th floor if you soil yourself on the way there.

The problem with your analogy is that is extremely superficial and only applicable in the most abstract terms. I alluded to this with my following example by expanding upon your analogy to elderly folk. In "Wurm terms", these are the people who do not physically have the time to travel to a player they want to help out for 2 hours back and forth, and are effectively barred from it altogether. Your reply shows a striking lack of acknowledgement for this though, so who's the one "coping" with ignorance? 🤔

41 minutes ago, Cipacadrinho said:

No, what is funny is that you play an MMO (Massive Multipleyer Online) but expect to be able to do everything the game has to offer alone and be self sufficient like in some offline game.

See my resposne to Alkhadias. If someone can take travel off my hands effectively, I'd trade for it/gladly interact with other players to facilitate it. I don't see a feasible way to do this, though, on the scale that is being discussed. Summon Soul is nice for the odd cases when you have it outside of Rifts and Slayings, which are usually stocked with priests, but most of the other times it's travel or bust.

Edited by Flubb

5 minutes ago, Flubb said:

The "situation at hand" is that people aren't taking the stairs either because you might aswell pee in a bush on ground level instead of going to the toilet at the 4th floor if you soil yourself on the way there.

The problem with your analogy is that is extremely superficial and only applicable in the most abstract terms. I alluded to this with my following example by expanding upon your analogy to elderly folk. In "Wurm terms", these are the people who do not physically have the time to travel to a player they want to help out for 2 hours back and forth, and are effectively barred from it altogether. Your reply shows a striking lack of acknowledgement for this though, so who's the one "coping" with ignorance? 🤔

i said: "Say you need to  get to the 4th floor of a building."  Your coping mechanism invented the biological emergency or the elderly which by the way neither exist in Wurm Online so your interpretation of my analogy is extremely superficial and not aplicable in, once again: Wurm Online.

You want to be social and see your friends in Wurm? Live on same deed or deed close by.

Instead you deed far away so you don't share the tiles around with anybody but once in a while you feel social and it sucks that Wurm's travel system makes you buy trait horses and gear and need to push keys to get to them. 

Oh you have 2h of gameplay available and want to go help them on their deed for 2h? Well your automatic travel system would still take time to get there the only difference is you wont have to press any keys or have a horse and gear so how is that relevant to our discussion?

Meanwhile a summon soul would instantly get you there but you are sad because you would have to have a 100 favor priest to summon yourself back or have to ride back? Yeah well then put the work in or walk/ride you are not supposed to get anything for free in Wurm. Death is for free.

3 minutes ago, Cipacadrinho said:

Well your automatic travel system would still take time to get there the only difference is you wont have to press any keys or have a horse and gear so how is that relevant to our discussion?

Actually a fair point. I'd honestly prefer instant travel. But now everyone is building a cross out of the most flammable of wood to stake me onto for even uttering that term.

For what it's worth, one might be more inclined to "sacrifice" a game session this way, being able to at least play something else, or focus on an alt. It's about removing inhibition to initiate travel. Not to remove travel quintessentially.

1 minute ago, Cipacadrinho said:

Your coping mechanism invented the biological emergency or the elderly which by the way neither exist in Wurm Online

10/10 comprehension for how analogies work. You're clearly at your limit and out of your league so I won't reply to you any further.

13 minutes ago, Flubb said:

10/10 comprehension for how analogies work. You're clearly at your limit and out of your league so I won't reply to you any further.

Yes i am the one at my limit and dont know how analogies work so let me refresh my memory :)

Analogy Definition

An analogy is a comparison in which an idea or a thing is compared to another thing that is quite different from it.

It aims at explaining that idea or thing by comparing it to something that is familiar.

Metaphors and similes are tools used to draw an analogy.

Therefore, analogy is more extensive and elaborate than either a simile or a metaphor. Consider the following example:

The structure of an atom is like a solar system.

The nucleus is the sun, and electrons are the planets revolving around their sun.

Here, an atomic structure is compared to a solar system by using the word “like.”

Therefore, it is a simile.

Metaphor is used to relate the nucleus to the sun, and the electrons to the planets, without using the words “like” or “as.”

Hence, similes and metaphors are employed to develop an analogy.

Examples of Analogy in Everyday Life

We commonly use analogy in our everyday conversation. Some common analogy examples are given below:

Life is like a race. The one who keeps running wins the race, and the one who stops to catch a breath loses.

Just as a sword is the weapon of a warrior, a pen is the weapon of a writer.

How a doctor diagnoses diseases is like how a detective investigates crimes.

Just as a caterpillar comes out of its cocoon, so we must come out of our comfort zone.

You are as annoying as nails on a chalkboard.

Examples of Analogy in Literature

Example #1: Night Clouds (By Amy Lowell)

The white mares of the moon rush along the sky
Beating their golden hoofs upon the glass Heavens.

Here, the poet constructs an analogy between clouds and mares. She compares the movement of the white clouds in the sky at night with that of the white mares on the ground.

You can read the full thing here:  https://literarydevices.net/analogy/

Slowclap for your coping mechanism :) Why read when you can ball park what you think the other person might mean to say based on your own intelectual capabilities then proceed to explain to the person how wrong they are :)

I am in tears :)

I will actually be a nice guy and give you a solution for your problem: alliance portal

You can build it on any deed belonging to an alliance and just have the alliance members be able to travel instantly between deeds using that.

So there you have it instant travel to see your friends no effort no priest needed.

But now what hapends if you have friends outside the alliance that you want to visit?

Every alliance will have to make portal deed scattered across the server's cardinal points  and not only those so the members can just teleport to the closest one for their needs.

See? To every solution 2 more problems appear.

But i am a nice guy and i have a solution for that: friend list portal

Now you can make a portal and be able to teleport to any deed on the server as long as the mayor of that deed is on your friends list.

And ppl can just make  a 2s alt give it the mayor title of their deed then sell friend list slot for 20c so ppl can fast travel to and from it.

And now you can play teleport online :)

But wait! even in this scenario ppl will be able to make 1s maint deeds across the server to just teleport as they please and to sell slots to others.

And now you will have people coming on the forums complaining about not being able to expand their deed  and/or live isolated because the devs ruined the game and announce they are quitting because they allowed these pesky people to make 1s deeds all over the place to hunt for uniques and god knows what more: sell transportation services.. why mail 2-3 backpacks of stuff thru mailbox is too expensive and with a wagoneer is not enough weight and too slow.. just pay a guy to get them in inventory then teleport next to your buyer and give it to him.

Nice fee 15c /trip buy 3  get 1 free  :)

Just, please, ride the damn horse for the sake of humanity! :)

Edited by Cipacadrinho
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Cipacadrinho said:

i am a nice guy

Bring this man a fedora!

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

But I don't like parting on such a bitter note either, especially when an olive branch is being extended.

I honestly don't understand why auto travel explicitly is such a problem, when portals on the other hand are okay, but my gripe is with investing time actively controlling a menial, senseless task which prevents me from doing better stuff, and anything that gets me reliably around that is good in my book. Though portals have an instant gratification aspect to it that even I understand the controversy about; I usually think of auto travel as a compromise around that.

Good luck pushing portals in defense of manual travel though. I think I can see the doctriners build a second cross. Yours seems to be made from birch.

I would be happy if there at least were implemented centering direction into S, N, W or E while riding.

Could be something like clicking with CTRL on compass directions or just keybindings.

5 minutes ago, Wilczan said:

I would be happy if there at least were implemented centering direction into S, N, W or E while riding.

Could be something like clicking with CTRL on compass directions or just keybindings.

Oh, that sounds like a nice middleground.