Sign in to follow this  
Ekcin

Question from a Steam hater

I did not want to put this in CA or Town Square, but it is related with the upcoming steam release of Wurm and the future possibility/threat that we all will forcibly land on steam some day.

Now, as I understand the "architecture" of the Valve padded cell, I do not see the possibility to create alts once Wurm is launched on steam, other than creating a new account for every single of them. Even that might require hiding the IP address, e.g. over VPN or similar.

Am I wrong with these assumptions?

• Like 2

sandboxed environment/hypervisor

can have as many steam accs as you want, dunno if wurm will have any special rules against alts. but yeah you'd have to have 1 steam acc per alt

Edited by Oblivionnreaver
  • Like 1

I foresee it as being character select from the opening screen, but only playing one character at once.  Playing alts simultaneously will require a workaround as oblivion suggests.

1 hour ago, Ekcin said:

I did not want to put this in CA or Town Square, but it is related with the upcoming steam release of Wurm and the future possibility/threat that we all will forcibly land on steam some day.

Now, as I understand the "architecture" of the Valve padded cell, I do not see the possibility to create alts once Wurm is launched on steam, other than creating a new account for every single of them. Even that might require hiding the IP address, e.g. over VPN or similar.

Looking at many other games, they usually have their own client besides the steam client and both connect to the same servers. So there's no real reason for Wurm to only be available on steam in the future unless the devs themselves want that for whatever reason. So I wouldn't worry about it if you don't want to play on steam.

If you do want to play on steam then there are workarounds

1 hour ago, Ekcin said:

future possibility/threat that we all will forcibly land on steam some day.

It's not a possibility at all. There's zero point to us making Wurm Online a Steam only game.

• Like 6

So.. plan to keep steam-free client and accounts remains?

I can think of at least 1 or more.. games having their own client and installer.. while they share same world.. with steam accounts; this is also how it was answered some time ago... that it will be possible to play there without the requirement to have steam client installed..

Have anything changed since than?

• Like 1

Yes there are few i know of that do just what Finnn said.   Question is this once linked to steam, does it then become an only steam launch. Or do you still have the option to load in either platform. Some games allow this, and others do not.

5 hours ago, Ekcin said:

Alts will be possible if you use some simple steam hacks. The number one method to get alts working is already used in WU.

I am not sure if it is allowed to deliver this method by default on a steam game client. At least the method is default on the dedicated WU server but needs to be set by hand by each user on the WU client.

Here is the forum thread of the hacky workaround:

Edited by Sklo:D

That's for WU.. unless server cares for unique IDs.. etc... you can gigle at that any day..

Depends how the game it made to work... wait for steam release.. than post links after something working is out.. this might not be a 'cure' when it's out.

27 minutes ago, Finnn said:

That's for WU.. unless server cares for unique IDs.. etc... you can gigle at that any day..

Depends how the game it made to work... wait for steam release.. than post links after something working is out.. this might not be a 'cure' when it's out.

That workaround with small adjustments should work for any steam game. (As long as there is nothing directly inbuilt at WO server auth to prevent alts) But still WO Steam will be a subscription model, alts will likely be more than welcome. $$$$$$

Edited by Sklo:D