Sign in to follow this  
Mewt

Mewt

Good evening everyone.    

I am brand new.  When I mean "new," I mean I haven't even logged on yet.  Of course, since I am typing this from a Hospital bed on a tablet, that isn't really possible.  My "name" in this topic (Mewt) is my Online Name though.
Here is why I am posting:  I don’t know when they will release me from this hospital but I have been wanting to start socializing with other players.  I just don’t want to annoy people with my newbishness as I have no experience in WO yet.

I have questions though, so I appreciate your patience and understanding if my questions are stupid.

This game was released a LONG time ago, and I have never played.  A friend of mine recommended it HIGHLY to me, so I decided to give it a try.  However, since it was released so long ago, I am concerned about your active population… do you all still have a good population?

I *HONESTLY* mean *NO OFFENSE* with that question, I swear to gawd.  I just am concerned whether or not I will waste my time.  I love socializing in game with people.  That’s what the basis of MM in MMORPG is for.  But if this has dwindled in population, then I humbly ask that you let me know.  I mean no ill will – I just like being part of an ACTIVE player base.

Since I haven’t logged on yet, I am not able to purchase “Premium Time.”  What does premium Time actually give you in game?

For PvE, what server do you recommend that I go to?  (For PvP, I’m rolling on Chaos based on what I have read on the Wiki)

Again, I *HONESTLY* do not want these questions to offend anyone.  I just want to know whether or not I should invest my time.

When I like a game, I put a LOT of time into it.  I can as I have very recently become disabled and am no longer employable.  A certain other game (which I will not name because I don’t want any bad reactions from Forum Admins) got 60 hours from me in the first week I played it.

I guess I should introduce myself and give a bit of a background on myself . . .

I served 20 years in the United States Navy and retired in 2008.

I loved being at sea so much that I turned “Shore Duty” down twice which put me on three ships in a row, back to back.

I served on the USS Houston (SSN-713) when I was a Submarine Sonar Technician (STS).  I then changed my “job” (which we call a “Rating”) to Hull Maintenance Technician (HT) which is on Surface Ships.  HT’s are Welders, Damage Control, and part of Engineering.

From there I served on the USS John S. McCain (DDG-56), the USS Kitty Hawk (CV-63), and the USS Vandergrift (FFG-48).

I requested a Ship again but the system wouldn’t allow four ships back to back.  So from there I became an Instructor at the Center for Naval Engineering at the Naval Training Center in Great Lakes, and finally I did a “boots on ground” tour in Iraq at Camp Bucca, Naval Provisional Detainee Battalion II (NPDB2), but my retirement was at Great Lakes, Illinois where I was an Instructor at.

After I retired, I became a Plant Manager at a production Facility with about 130+ employees.

In 2016, I went from being a contributive member of society to a parasite.  I contracted Stage 4 Throat Cancer which I have been fighting ever since and is also why I am writing this post from a hospital bed due to complications.  I have to go to the Hospital an average of one to two times a month due to Septic Shock.  The saddest part is that I am now “used to it.”

When I say “parasite of society,” I mean it.  I am not a “victim” of this.  I’m the idiot that smoked 2 packs a day for 30 years, all the while knowing the risks.  There is no one to blame but myself in this, and the real victims are my wife and children who have to watch me wither away, sitting in the corner, drooling on himself, becoming a mere shell of who he once was, and them knowing they can do nothing about it.

I say “parasite” because I went from being a contributive member of society to being a leach collecting Social Security Disability.  That’s why I say “parasite.”  I’m used to helping others, of being a positive influence.  Now I can’t even stand up without my poor five-foot wife giving me a helping hand.  Pathetic and p***es me off at myself GREATLY.

The ONE positive thing I can say about this is that my children are very anti-smoking now.  Which makes me happy.

You know my name, “Mewt?”  It’s because I literally AM a mute since the “Total Laryngectomy” surgery I had in 2016.  I am using this play on words and use that as my Avatar / Name in every game I play now.

There were two tumors in my neck the size of a golf ball each, so they had to rip my throat out.  You know those folks that wander around with holes in their necks?  That’s me – a “Human Pez Dispensor.”

This is why I am “Mewt.”

I want to make something very, very clear again here . . .

I am *NOT* a victim.  I am not letting you know this stuff for “pity.”  Frankly, pity turns my stomach and sickens me to the core, especially when I know it’s my fault and that I have earned every moment every time I struck my lighter on the fantail of a Ship.

I give you this information for two reasons:

Number one, I believe in fully introducing yourself to people that you want to become friends with and being completely honest and open about everything.

Number two, showing others who might be in the same situation as me but are remaining anonymous about it, that no matter what the Doctors tell you, you can fight it.  You have to stay positive and know that we have your back.

They gave me six months in 2016 and told my wife, and I quote, “We suggest you transfer him to a hospice so we can make his passing as painless as possible.”

Try to imagine the grief and pain they just gave my wife . . .

I gave Satan a “Spiritual Middle Finger,” told him “Not today, but when I do come I suggest you watch your back.” And started fighting the disease instead of giving up.

It’s now 2020 and my Oncologist calls me a miracle.

If you are in a similar situation, please believe me when I tell you, you can beat it.  No matter what they tell you, you can.  Please stay positive.  I and God are on your side my friend.

So, the Gaming Community is very, very important to me.  They become friends, not just Avatars in a virtual world.  Because of my condition, my world cannot be empty – thus the specific questions I asked.

An active gaming community isn’t just “cool,” for me, but *actually* affects my mortality rate by givimng me a fun time improving my spirit and morale.  =D

So, there it is folks.  Me, a completely open book.

I REALLY hope this disn’t annoy anyone – and it is honestly a pleasure to meet you all.

I look very forward to your replies.  :)

Thank you and have a wonderful day!

-    Watts, Nathanial W.
-    Mewt

p.s. – I wrote this in Word first to try and avoid spelling errors.  But if there are any typos I apologize as I have permanent tremors in my hands now due to all the darn Chemo I have had to have.

• Like 4

Just make a toon open inventory activate your rope go to a cow right click the cow choose Lead then right click the cow again choose Ride  enjoy Wurm.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Mewt said:

do you all still have a good population?

No.

I've played 3 years and saw more people go than come, until the neighborhood and even somewhat remote alliance was eventually so deserted that I saw no reason to continue any building projects because I'd do it for noone but myself effectively. I don't reckon this trend will get any better, any time, ever, disregarding any spikes in population some last straws being grasped will bring.

If you're fine with chatting via global and exchanging some mail with people on distant virtual contintents, there are still enough people for that, and the game is dying a very, very slow death so that'll stick around for a while. Though even that is increasingly uncertain.

But if you're looking for an active group of players (active meaning actually playing, not just casually logging in to do deed chores) to directly interact and cooperate with...well, I can't vouch that there isn't some last bastion of that sort of gameplay out there, in the ever so thinly spread population over all the servers, but you won't stumble upon them randomly by any chance and will have to open all eyes and ears on the forum to even find some candidates, and I'd be skeptical towards any claim that they're indeed all that active.

Even finding a somewhat active neighborhood will require some proper scouting beforehand, if you don't intend to be so directly involved with any group but want some closeby players regardless. What I'm saying is: Don't just drop in and expect to randomly find what you're looking for, unless it's in mail- and chatboxes.

That's just how I saw things going anyway. Wether it's worth your time is something only you can decide based on what you're looking for here, but I'd wager you're better off looking for a different game, or waiting for the steam release of this and ride on the wave of temporary player influx. I might even check it out myself, despite having quit the "original game".

Hi Mewt and welcome to Wurm.

Your friend was correct when they suggested Wurm to you as a game that you could enjoy. It is (in my opinion) a wonderfully immersive game where you can do absolutely everything. 

Wurm has lost population during the last few years but there are still places where you can 'live socially' and enjoy talking with your neighbours. My suggestion for this would be to look check the recruitment areas of these forums. You could always create a thread asking for a village to live in and I am fairly certain that you would find people contacting you.

I would suggest to you that you give Wurm a chance. When you find a village there is actually no need to spend money on premium to start with as you can raise your skills, enjoy learning the game, create your in-game friendships and then see if Wurm fulfils your wishes. If it does- as I hope it will- you can then invest a little cash for premium and then the world of Wurm awaits you.

Whatever you decide, I wish you all the very best. 

In short, premium allows you to skill over 20 (max is 100).

There are some events where you will also get a gift or can win a price, like christmas gift for example.

I think that since we the forum readers, that often are the active chatty and/or helpful players, now become aware of you, you might find a nice group to join while you go thru the steps of the tutorial.

Welcome, hope you gonna like it here.

I know a few vets myself actually so you would not be the only one.

PVP seems to have died off compleatly, people have various thoughts about why, but there has been promised updates to pvp aspects of the game during this year, so hopefully more people will pvp again.

In Wurm there is something for everyone, just remember to never compare your skills to the old players but only to where you were a week ago!

Welcome to Wurm!

Edited by Cecci

Join a community of players in a similar "level" of the game - preferably other newer players and you will have a good time.

A pleasure to meet you and a hearty  welcome,

There are still some fairly active enclaves  on the PVE servers, in spite of  the general population decline.  PVP is nearly abandoned.  Many are choosing to wait until the Steam server fresh launch, which will afford more opportunity for pioneering and PVP alike.

I would like to thank you for your many years of service, and commend you for your tough and nasty attitude in tackling the challenges you face. I think a positive "going forward" attitude is a great asset and key to beating otherwise dismal odds.

IF you do choose to give wurm a spin, premium is not necessary until you wish to get past the level cap of 20 skill. You can explore the game and its skills at your leisure within those constraints, and see how you feel without monetary risk prior. The game itself moves at a slow pace and nothing is gained without effort.

I would like to invite you to join us, even temporarily. "Us" being a smaller group located in the southeast of xanadu, wurms largest server. The server itself has the most people on it, and more social interaction globally. At the very least, personally I would be glad to assist you in getting started and answer any questions I can. We have quite a bit of spare land on the Island for you to muck up as you please. You are welcome to use it as a starting point and an area to learn before moving on if you wish. 

Be Well,

Nygen

• Like 3

If you want to play with a lot of people, i highly recommend waiting for the Steam release

Hi there,

Doctors.... i strongly advise getting 2 or 3 opinions before believing anything, that's my experience. Anyhow, pretty much all relevant has been said already about the game, starting the game is difficult and it takes a lot of time if you don't have a good group of people helping you on the way, so i suggest joining a village/alliance to give you guidance on the game mechanics. Steam version is on the way and things are quite stall at the moment because of it, but i suggest at least trying this version before steam, as people have said, you can skill up to 20 level on each skill and if you want to progress further you need premium. All the best to you and hopefully you decide to explore the lands! 

Pvp is dead, but given how full of toxic folks it was, that was inevitable.  We can blame ourselves for that.

Pve is smaller than it was once, but there are still a lot of active alliances around.  I suggest getting in and playing a bit to get a feel for the game first - if there are deal-breakers for you (graphics, style, whatever), at least you know not to waste any further time.  Wurm is free to try, in that you can create a character and play, but you can't advance beyond basic skills without paying premium.  So, try the game and form an opinion - it costs you nothing.  Then, if it seems worth the effort, you can find a community.

For my money, the friendliest communities are on release and pristine, but that's mainly because that's where I've been based most on freedom.  There are active groups everywhere, if you look.

• Like 2

If you are looking for a community, join an alliance. There are some large ones and some very large ones that constantly have active players on. The added bonus of this is that once you become mobile in Wurm (have access to a cart and horses or some form of a boat), you can visit the alliance members who live further away and this way explore the game from friendly ports.

Gday, Mewt.

Welcome.

As a relatively new player (a couple of months), I would recommend finding a village or community either through the recruitment areas here on the forum or in-game there are recruitment notice boards.  Also, the wiki is your friend, and you can link directly to it from within the game.

I picked a village that was on a small island and took a one-off teleport to it.  Your experience may be different, but I would not recommend that unless you know it is active.  My village have been all but deserted since before Christmas, leaving me stranded until I could build a boat for myself.  I would recommend finding a village on a "continent" (the main island on the server).  I have still not paid for premium time, while I get more skills up to the cap for free play.  I cannot find any indication that skills improve more quickly with premium, only that they can go beyond the 20 cap.

I have found that the the in-game community is very helpful - one player gave me a ride across half the server, killed a bear that had killed me so I could get my dropped gear, then gave me ride back to where we started.  Another gave me basic armour and a room with a bed (important in this game) as well as access to tools and equipment, another gave me better armour and a much better weapon, and another sent me a bunch of good quality tools.  I have sold stuff in-game and players have paid more than I was asking rather than take advantage of my ignorance, and some have offered to buy stuff they probably don't need.  In-game chat is quite active - I can only do shortish sessions and have sometimes found I got nothing "done" in game because I was busy talking.

Edited by TheTrickster
  • Like 3