Sign in to follow this  
TheTrickster

1st person event window

I realize I am probably going to take some flak on this one, especially with 3rd person gui on the horizon, but here goes.

Since everything is done through the player character in first person, would it not be more immersive if the event window text and confirmations were also in 1st person?  Rather than a 3rd 2nd person narrator telling you what you are doing, it would be more like the character's internal stream-of-consciousness monologue, and possibly more immersive. 

I am probably showing my age here, but Thief was hugely successful with dedicated 1st person view and a character that spoke only to himself outside of cut-scenes.  Come to think of it, even before Thief, Duke Nukem 3D did the same.

Actually, now that I think on it, Wurm has for me a certain amount of affinity with Thief regarding the look/feel and setting.

On the flipside, maybe for some it would be less immersive, because instead of the unseen narrator addressing you through your character it would be your character addressing you directly.  

Edited by TheTrickster
typed "third", meant "first" - also as Retrograde said, current is 2nd

Could you provide some examples of it not? 

[15:07:11] You start removing weeds and otherwise put the field in good order.

Nvm this is second person, apparently it's not normal to think like this... I may need to see a therapist. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

You start removing weeds and otherwise put the field in good order.

"Okay, I'll start removing weeds and otherwise put the field in good order."

"There, now I have tended the field and it looks better after my tending."

"I start harvesting the field."

"I got 3 wemp plants!"

"Let me just forage in the area"

"I found a rock!"

"I picked up a lump."

"I am placing the lump in the forge."

Failures due to rules/laws etc would be "That would be illegal here, so I don't think I will" or something like that.

Really, just changing "you" and "your" to "I/me" and "my" is largely what I am getting at, with a little bit of "current" instead of "timeless" tense - if you get what I mean.  I completely understand if it is too small and unimportant to warrant changing.  Just putting it out there as fuel for thought.

Probably pitch confirmations as the character pondering out loud rather than a 3rd party asking.  E.g. "Do I really want to go to sleep?"

Yes, I am fifty going on twelve, but "You drop a log" probably just needs a complete reword  😁

46 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Nvm this is second person, apparently it's not normal to think like this... I may need to see a therapist. 

Yes I incorrectly had that as 3rd in my original post.  

I read/heard somewhere that elite athletes' internal monologue tend to be 2nd person more than 1st person.  "Not normal" is not necessarily bad.

I wouldn't feel it. Whenever I take any action, it is my '1st person' thought or intention and I expect the game to give me the result. I find it more more immersive not to hear the same phrase twice.
For example:
Me: I want to make thatch/I make thatch!
Ingame narrator: [09:23:19] You create a thatch.

Tabletop RPGs work the same way. 

I try to be myself in game so I don't want someone else speaking for me. 

It grates when I get messages like:

a) "You decide not to..."

and 

b) "You hear a voice in your head telling you..."

Because:

a) no, I didn't decide not to actually,

and

b) how the heck do you know?

Edited by Muse

-1 way too much work for result.

I prefer the narrator describing the events how it is. First person can be awkward/annoying when it doesn’t line up with the way you would say things.