Sign in to follow this  
Nappy

What makes you stay?

In the last few weeks I've seen even more chats about quitting Wurm Online. Lots of players selling out including many long timers.

Out of pure curiosity on my part, if you've decided to stay what's the reason for it? Perhaps this feed back can help the dev team be more careful about what features they yank without discussion or notice.

• Like 2

Nothing. I plan to play Wurm till feb 20, then I'm gonna leave Wurm once and for all after 10 years of playing. But I'm giving myself time to consider everything, so I hope that some posts here will awake my deeply hidden feelings for Wurm and a way its going right now.

There was a time when I was entirely certain, that I'll be the last Wurmian standing, no matter the odds. I really did overestimate myself. Anyway thing that was keeping me kinda, half alive in game were my best memories of all these years spent in Wurm with my friends. I thought not long ago, that exploring is my favourite thing that keeps me in game from the beginning till now... But I must be true to myself, its not my journeys whats keeps me ingame. Only foggy memories of them, before I got to know most lands so well, that I have pretty much nothing more to find.

These are really cool memories and Im fond of them. I feel proud when I think that I had the pleasure of being a part of greatest game community ever forever. But after so many changes that were made last year and also this year already, and that hit me so deeply personally (saying mostly if not only for myself) it's not enough to show me perhaps new way of Wurming.

I know it's not a good answer to the topic, but yeah. If theres anything that keeps people playing, I hope, I really hope these are: great memories, daring plans and most important: friends. Mine are mostly gone. I still see some old faces, but its not as strong connection and feeling of... brotherhood as it used to be before most of my folks left. I have no plans too, mostly because all the changes made to the game. Only memories. 

Edit: Really, care of your wurm friends folks. I did fail on this task in past year. Its terrible feeling. So you, better stay together, care for each other and let wurming go on.

I hope you guys will see it otherwise. I hope that Wurm will survive another 10 years. Perhaps, in order to do so, all fossils like me must leave it be, to let new players establish new community.

Edited by Alkhadias
  • Like 3

I will stay as long as Wurm exists because I enjoy the following:

a) The escapism.

b) The challenge, variation and opportunity that Wurm affords.

c) The extremely helpful community- the help given to players on the CA channel is amazing and freely given.

d) The regular updates. These may not always be welcomed by some players but to me show a development team who have the game at heart. They are of course not perfect but to be honest I am loathe to criticise anyone who does their best.

e) The permanence- I love how if a player wishes to take a break, as long as their deed is funded, the place will be waiting for them on their return.

f) The way that I can alter the land in ways that other players can marvel at or- more likely- snigger at.

I could hardly be described as a fighter even though my fighting is well over 70 on my characters and I have never created a priest so my views may be limited and a bit sheltered compared to some players. 

I look forward to seeing the new update and all the future plans for Wurm unfold as we move through this year. I hope that if possible, people past, present and future can support Wurm, the team and the simply amazing experience that is Wurm Online. 

• Like 5

I enjoy playing Wurm, simple as that. I like the mood of the game, I like the look of a foggy harbor filled with hell hounds, I like sailing around and seeing everyone's creations and the natural wonders. I have a nice little deed that I enjoy improving from time to time and I love the skills I have worked on. I don't use Wurm as an income stream and I don't spend more than I can afford (usually!) and I take breaks when I need to so it never becomes an issue of pressure. 

• Like 10

I recently had few months brake with Wurm but now I'am back. Why?

Couse, despite of all the flaws, there is no other game like Wurm Online.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Wilczan said:

I recently had few months brake with Wurm but now I'am back. Why?

Couse, despite of all the flaws, there is no other game like Wurm Online.

I have not been seriously active in WO for a year, just popping in every now and then to check my deed.  But, were it not for WU, it would not have been possible for me to stay away as long.  The changes that have been and are being made though, are really drawing me back to WO.  I think the dev team is really taking to heart a lot of player feedback as well as making tough decisions that I think most will eventually agree are right for the long haul.  I congratulate them for that.

And to respond to what Wilczan said, there really isn't any other MMO quite like Wurm.  It is diamond in the rough!

• Like 5

Because this is the only game I know of where I can just live in a mmo world, do my own thing without being forced into anything. There are a few other games where I could just do my thing but they all lack Wurms house building system.

Also the game gets updated often, every time when I come back from a break there's new stuff to do.

And the community is great at times, better than in most other mmo's.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Eyesgood said:

And to respond to what Wilczan said, there really isn't any other MMO quite like Wurm.  It is diamond in the rough!

When i started, there was some charm to volunteer staff members etc all that, now it begins to irritate. They are doing a lot of hours for the game for free and i appreciate that, but how about when hired? Maybe because i have spend close to 7 years on the game already, my life has changed a lot by that time, i could spend some time telling my reasoning/values behind all nowadays, but who cares, but yes... there is no other game like wurm currently, waiting for alternative...

There is quite bit stuff that irritates me in the game, as the decade old bugs that are still there that have been reported but ignored... one of the things that got me playing this game are my brothers and those two stubborn goats are the reason i am staying (for now), as we use this game to keep in touch with each other as we all live in different cities.

Maybe the server is the issue here atm or maybe its timezone thing.. but the game feels empty, cant even compare to what it was like in 2013-14, nowadays market is dead, PvP is dead, freedom is dead... there is literally to motivator to actually go outside, rifts are boring as hell, but we have to do that tedious events if we ever want the journal done, only 83 left and on retarded hours... and how about when other people have finished their rifts for journal? do we get enough players for rifts? its pretty low amount already.....haven't tried jackal, but imagine its same crap with a different label. I wont be investing anymore money into the game, except my prem time for 1 character, maybe for 2 if needed, i am thinking of getting my self a deed again, but not sure if its worth my effort and money. Here i am still, hoping to get more content. Im going to test out steam version, lets see how that goes...

Wurm feels like home to me. When I log into my deed, I am among MY land, MY trees, MY enclosures, MY buildings, looking at MY ships in MY harbour. And why do they all feel so close to me? Because I made them all, exactly how I wanted them to be. I also bought the land and I upkeep it. My land is not some instanced cubicle to decorate that doesn't really have any real estate presence in the world. It actually takes up a chunk of Wurm - my own personal piece of it, and it interacts with it in real time. You can sail by it, you can come in to visit (I have a guest house! :) ) and you can utilize it in so many different ways. There is a farm there, a shipyard, vineyard, brewery, horses, homes, bridges, kitchens, and soon even bees. My stable has a chamber where I keep my saddles and extra horse paraphernalia. It really is home and I never found another game where all this is possible to such a degree. Perhaps such a game has recently come into existence, but meh... too late for them. Wurm is home already. I am happy here.

Additionally - while I understand that there are players who are dissatisfied with them - I absolutely love the Wurm mechanics. I have embraced all the updates and content additions through the years. I have observed the developers understand and maintain this uniquely Wurm atmosphere and play style and support it with their updates that keep that feeling alive. I enjoy how in tune they are with the game feel. Wurm is so much better than when I joined and in so many incredible ways. Again, not a sentiment shared by all - I understand that - but I truly believe it. Have all the updates gone along my wishes? Not all... for instance, I am still not sure how I will adapt to this new third person Wurm that is tearing at the very fabric of my soul. But I will have to find a way. You can't have it all. But most updates were simply amazing. Retro's Valrei International is now my favorite literature, right up there with War and Peace, because of the additions it announces on regular basis.

In Wurm, I feel the freedom. I can do what I want, go where I want, experience what I want, and none of that is dictated by a raiding schedule or in-game obligations. In fact, I can leave for a month or not log in on those busy days, and things will still be OK! When I come back, my Wurm is waiting. Just like the theme song promised.

I simply cannot explain it, really. I love riding through the forests near my deed and seeing how the trees have grown. I love seeing the sap on the maples and knowing that today is probably a good day to pull out my bucket and the wax sealing kit. I love exploring old deeds and reminiscing about what may have been there. I love sailing (yes, I am crazy like that!). Even the grinding, which is boring and repetitive, somehow doesn't bother me in Wurm. Probably because when I do that, I can hear the birds chirping outside the window that I built, the horses which I raised moving by the fences I made, the water shimmering under my ships in the harbour which I personally shaped. Also, because of how valuable high skills become when you had to work for them for some time. In Wurm, I take things slow... sometimes too slow. I have no raids to attend, no crazy schedules to maintain, no quotas to meet. I have no one to outshine with my gear. In Wurm, CoC or WoA are the desirable enchants, not Swords of Thousand Truths with Super-Cala-Fragalistic Nuclear Chain Lightning charges. In Wurm, my rare leatherworking tools are my most cherished possessions.

To me, Wurm is real. And I have only scratched the surface. And now, here I go getting all nostalgic about it. Look what you made me do! But I used to be a crazy raider, power player, intense grinder, high-level competitor, massive guild leader type of a dude. Not anymore. The Wurm Retirement Home is my speed now. And it feels soooo much more fun!

So, stop by when you are passing by Garden of Fo on Celebration and say "hi". I will probably be doing something on my deed - something in preparation for doing something else, so that I can do something else entirely which will eventually allow me to do what I really want to do. And it'll probably take me a week just to set up. But I'll be loving every minute of it!

Edited by Valdor
  • Like 13

I've enjoyed a lot of my times on wurm, I've been on plenty of adventures...

First rifts (our hypothesis worked, and it's why healing areas are around)

Early Xanadu days of sailing around the continent on a rowboat offering free mailbox enchants

I, with the help of others, planted a forest on release that is still there today

Met a lot of amazing people on my wanderings

Priested up more folks than I can count

Took part in a fair few impalongs, so many LT casts
Joined plenty of alliances, and helped with a few projects that magic could help with

Designed, and led the initial dig, on a heritage site canal.

Oh and stockpiled enough maples to literally cover the landmass of one of the smaller servers.

But...  Now I wander around and watch things crumble; not the lively death things used to be with new homes popping up around old ruins, but just the slow death of a dying world.  Where once I'd ride along roads and see folks continually, now I can ride for a day and see not a soul.  Deeds I'd seen stand for years are gone, all that's left is some earthworks and maybe the odd bit of paving.  Where once a vibrant community existed, now only ghosts and bugs in the code reside.

I suppose I want to be there to see things to the end.  Someone who remembers wurm when it was healthy should.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Valdor said:

My land is not some instanced cubicle to decorate that doesn't really have any real estate presence in the world. It actually takes up a chunk of Wurm - my own personal piece of it, and it interacts with it in real time. 

This. 

It also helps to have the presence of mind to understand that mechanics are going to change and those changes are not personal attacks.

• Like 4

I stay for many reasons, but probably the biggest are the people. There are many games out there, but few with the sense of community that Wurm has. And, for those of us who sometimes just don't do people well, we can get on a horse, in a boat, or head out on foot, and get lost. I can pretend to be a farmer, or an architect, or a landscaper. I can't, or won't, do these things IRL, but in Wurm I do. 

Also, despite the fact that these changes will hit me hard, I do appreciate the devs constant attempts at improving the game. It has evolved so much since I started, and by many standards I am still a newb..Sometimes their attempts force us to rethink what we do, or how we play. In other words, we have to evolve, just like the game..

• Like 7

Not staying. Sorry. Too much disappointment with the direction of this game now.  EoL for WU support, priest changes, going back to the dark ages, after all he time investment.  Just have zero faith in management now.

• Like 2
  • Cat 1

15 hours ago, Wurmhole said:

priest changes, going back to the dark ages

They're buffing them. Wait and see before you do something so rash!

Reasons why I continue to play Wurm Online:

• Looking forward to chatting with folks that have become familiar friends over the years
  • Being able to set my own goals without feeling obligated to participate in 'end game content'
  • Having 3+ years worth of projects to work on, even after playing for 7 years
  • Trying to figure out how to pay it forward for every player that has ever shown me a kindness
  • A relaxing game experience that neither depends on my slowly deteriorating reflexes nor requires my absolute, constant attention
  • Impalongs, and all of the additional player-created events that never cease to surprise me
  • Recent additions like Jackal that result in cooperating with players that I've only ever known as names from the forums
  • Every server that I haven't found the time to visit and explore even after all these years
  • Feeling very connected to the patch of land that has been my deed for this long: the random visitors, the years long shaping of the land, and (surprisingly) the sunsets
  • Loss aversion to WU servers that claim "We'll be here forever!" but vanish once the owners discover how much work goes into curating a well-run server
  • Cheaper than an actual vacation home by several orders of magnitude
  • The bittersweet experience of discovering and exploring a deed that has disbanded - a reminder of our own mortality in all things
  • The fact that multiple players have left this mortal realm in the last 13 years that have been remembered within the game itself (Tich, Oracle, et al.)
  • That WO is an extremely niche game, and frankly there simply isn't anything else like it - even after all this time
  • Like 11

I really like that Wurm has not become the "instant gratification machine" common of more recent mmo's.

Also no login rewards or daily's or any of that manipulative stuff.

And like others have said, being able to carve out your own chunk of the world and having it last.

Edited by cccdfern
  • Like 4

i said some interesting things then i spoilt it and deleted everything.

:ph34r:

Edited by Steveleeb

My thanks to those who have answered this thread so far. I've enjoyed reading the various answers and a bit surprised to see it softening my harder edges around this topic. Thank-you for sharing!

• Like 4

I like the the people I meet(most of them) The freedom that I don't have to do anything if I don't feel like it.

I take breaks every now and then, I come back and I find stuff there just as I left them. So there is no rush in completing whatever project you

are currently doing. So I guess I like the pace of Wurm. It takes a special kind of nutter to enjoy this game, and I seem to be just nutty enough 😃

I've been around, off and on, for almost 10 years. And while yes, I do take frequent breaks, I always come back sooner or later. Wurm is the only game that I have ever played that feels like you're in a living, breathing, real, persistent world. It doesn't hold your hand and it doesn't railroad you into quests or recommended styles of play - it's up to the players to create their world and write their own stories, and NO other game does it as well as Wurm does. Well, maybe EVE, but I'm much more of a medieval/fantasy sort than space/sci-fi. 

Anyways, I'm staying around. I remember the days before player gods and I liked how the main four gods had differences and very specific themes. Player gods always seemed like cheapened versions of the main four, and Nahjo is ridiculously OP for PVE. Part of the beauty of Wurm, IMHO, is players working together to accomplish things. So if I need Strongwall - I seek out a Mag priest. If I need a mailbox enchant, I find a Fo priest. Same with enchants. Having everything available on one priest seems to go against the spirit of priests and the game in general, at least as it used to be, and I thought the game was more vibrant when there was that clear differentiation between them. 

Beyond those changes, what I love about Wurm and what brings me back:

- Players working together to accomplish huge projects, or even just helping each other out with little things.

- Animal Husbandry - for real, that is a really unique skill and for an animal lover like myself it is SO much fun. 

- Having an actual "piece" of Wurm with the deed system.

- The creativity that Wurm foster, both in-game and out-of-game.

- The fact that Wurm is a slower, more relaxed game. It's great for chilling out after a stressful day at work. 

- The shared history of the servers - every player can make their mark and in many cases their work and reputation will live on for years.

- Exploring and finding old disbanded deed locations full of history and sometimes loot for the taking.

- The community: while yes there will always be bad eggs, for all of that there are also a lot of incredibly kind and amazing players here, and there's almost always somebody willing to help newbies (or old farts like me that come back and have no idea what changed while I was gone).

- The impalongs and player-driven events.

- The content creation community - all you streamers and bloggers and tutorial/guide makers, you rock! 

There's probably so much more, but I will close with a little anecdote. I've interacted with and have gotten to know lots of Wurm players during my time here, but 2 stand out in my mind. When I was deeded in NE Indy 9 years ago, not far from where I am now, 2 players, real-life friends, showed up and deeded close by. As the days passed, we chatted a ton, and it turned out we lived about an hour away from each other. We stayed in touch and eventually that turned into one of them helping me get a job with him in a different industry, which turned into us becoming RL friends. Now our spouses/families are friends, we've gone on vacations to gaming conventions and such together, and are actual RL neighbors - we both moved into the same RL neighborhood! And yeah, we're still playing this crazy little indie game called Wurm Online all these years later. And that's not an isolated story - I still talk to other friends that I've made here on a regular basis, regardless of if we're playing or not. That's really what brings me back, the people and the friendships that you can make here.

Edited by Moxie
  • Like 4

the staffs hard work at banning toxic pvpers is what keeps me around

• Like 4

My alliance and the friends I've made there.

I've been here for 7 1/2 years, and honestly probably would have been gone after like 2 months if my neighbor hadn't invited me to an alliance...which lead to me meeting more people...and on and on.

Without a connection to the community there's no way I would have stayed around.

Edited by Hailene
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Hailene said:

Without a connection to the community there's no way I would have stayed around.

My situation is basically your story gone bad.

Even as someone not particularly social except with the few people I pick to be social with, having been left behind in a ghost region due to more and more people quitting was what tipped me to leave after a string of other disappointments inflicted by the recent routes Wurm took. Had it not been for those decisions and my resulting perspective on OGWO's future, I may have not cashed out on the dismal prices you get in the RMT here now and moved closer to my alliance just for the sake of a virtual neighborhood. Instead, I'm now biding my time to see how Steam WO will turn out, hoping that player retention will actually be a healthy one in this iteration, because I don't see anything else really drawing me back to the game.