Sign in to follow this  
Muse

Basic Utility spells for all PvE priests

Basic rights of the PvE priest

People have different reasons for their choice of priest, but I believe that whichever priest type you choose, (at least on PvE) you should get some spells as standard.

These spells are essential for Quality of Life on PvE.  It makes every priest useful on deed, makes them more useful to the community and can give every priest a means of earning a basic income.

The spells I propose are:

Courier - everyone should be able to send and receive mail.  Why this has to be a priest spell I don't know, because it is so essential to everyone's day to day life, and vital for trade.  I believe this should be a basic right, not an option.

Genesis - nearly everyone on PVE keeps animals, and it's tragic to see people struggling with generations of poor traited animals just for want of this simple utility spell.  Basic QoL.

Strongwall - Unless we live on a completely flat island, we will need to mine.  The chances of finding a completely pristine area to mine are unlikely in most areas, and so there will be drop-shafts and an expensive fix.   

These are the travelling utility spells that people can offer as a service, as well as use on their own deeds. 

I think everyone who goes to the trouble to prem a priest of any kind should have an automatic right to these 3 spells.

I apologise if this does not fit with some archaic 'lore' or some role-playing ideas attached to the Gods, but I am talking about quality of life, play-ability and getting the most use out of a priest if you can afford to keep one premmed.  Not everyone can afford 2 or 3 priests, and it's time these basic PvE needs were addressed.

Further to:

• Like 1

I'm not sure this would work the way you think it would, as it would just maintain the status-quo of the priest alt (almost everyone would have a pet Vyn rather than a pet Nahjo).

It would, however, devalue Fo as a choice of god, and Mag too.  Both of those gods are not really gaining as much as the others (1 and 2 spells instead of 3).

While an argument could be made that Lib needs the buff (strongwall being reasonable), Vyn certainly does not (CoC and WoA outvalue all three of those spells).

I think some method of making a spell scroll for these spells (high level papyruscrafting to make the scroll, priest to enchant) would be far better.  There would be plenty on the market to go with QoL.

No, each god should be their own set of spells and what makes them special. 

Path of love could have genesis every 18 hours for example, no need for every gods to have it.

I think priests are able to make support beams, so no need to have strongwall cast.... and courier cast... well, not everyone needs it, you only need 1 good cast and usually people buy the service because they dont have good channeling.

Strongwall as a priest spell is needed to collapse. Reinforcing is just a gimmick.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Themystrix said:

To a large part, I agree. And I suspect Muse agrees, too - again, for the most part

However, every deity has Bless, so it's not unprecedented to have spell overlap.

I think priests are able to make support beams, so no need to have strongwall

If support beams (or other craftable item) could collapse a mine entrance or drop shaft, I'd be more swayed to this logic.

Edit: ...  and Ekcin beat me to the punch. 🙂

Edited by Kohle
  • Like 1

Yeah my bad on the strongwall details. Still, it ain't a basic right for everyone to have, never has been. Buy shaker orb for 5 silver, or buy the service from someone, or join an alliance. This isn't single player game.

Player gods were one of the worst updates in the game, glad its being fixed.

Path of Power could have Strongwall cast every 18 hours for example. 

Everyone being able to do everything is already killing the game.

Genesis - nearly everyone on PVE keeps animals, and it's tragic to see people struggling with generations of poor traited animals just for want of this simple utility spell.  Basic QoL.

W H Y ? 

The reason I'm asking is.... WHY is animal husbandry useless without a priest in the first place.. Why not unlock an ability or passive no bad traits after certain skill instead?

As it is.. we're only making hundreds of new creatures to just compensate for the bad traits.. or rng luck to get a rare skinned creature... champs are a thing to chase...

But for horses alone.. you can be AH with 20-50-70-90 AH skill and you are USELESS if your creature have a bad trait... why?

Doesn't it make more sense to implement few care stages for that creature to replace the bad trait.. with a random/good/ new one?

• Like 2

Yeah my bad on the strongwall details. Still, it ain't a basic right for everyone to have, never has been. Buy shaker orb for 5 silver, or buy the service from someone, or join an alliance. This isn't single player game.

Player gods were one of the worst updates in the game, glad its being fixed.

Path of Power could have Strongwall cast every 18 hours for example.

Everyone being able to do everything is already killing the game.

I agree that those are sensible ideas, and I fully agree to the last sentence. And that may be a way to revert some of the damage done.

And yes, maybe removing the player gods, all hardships notwithstanding, is the right decision, and the three spells, which were the main reason for me to make a priest at all, should not have existed together in one deity in the first place. But: such a radical change should have been announced in time, discussed, and only after that, decided within a due period of time. Less important things for most active players, like Elevation 3, have been discussed in length. Ok, the detrimental conduct of the PvP players may have triggered  the radical behaviour of the company now, but who knows.

so if all this would be added, then why would i need fo and mag priest? if vynora can collapse, courier a mailbox and cast genesys on animals, then why the F do we even need other 3 priests? wider variety makes the economy grow, trade happening and different possible deities to follow. if you do run FO priest, you can trade ur genesys or courier for some coc/woa enchants, have a mag priest - can trade your mining abilities with a FO priest for his animal husbandry.. if every priest is the same, and every player is the same priest, the game just be dull as F..

31 minutes ago, Ekcin said:

I agree that those are sensible ideas, and I fully agree to the last sentence. And that may be a way to revert some of the damage done.

And yes, maybe removing the player gods, all hardships notwithstanding, is the right decision, and the three spells, which were the main reason for me to make a priest at all, should not have existed together in one deity in the first place. But: such a radical change should have been announced in time, discussed, and only after that, decided within a due period of time. Less important things for most active players, like Elevation 3, have been discussed in length. Ok, the detrimental conduct of the PvP players may have triggered  the radical behaviour of the company now, but who knows.

I think Retro mentioned something about giving template gods more flavor, so there is something being discussed there of some changes behind curtains which could include PvE aspect and its needs ... and i do agree that the news came out of a bush... should of been fair warning or discussion how things should be going in the future as it also effects the journal goals, but its foolish to claim its the basic rights. There is a lot of things that should be fixed in this game and this is one step forward that they admit it was a mistake to add any new gods.

There is so many possibilities how these things could be implemented that it doesn't require even being a priest.

Use meditation paths to give some cool spells there, do spell shards with archeology, fix animal husbandry... its stupid to give penalty for having more than 50 skill for example. Meteorite falls from sky which contains random spells which only a priest could obtain for example, that would boost roaming as well in PvE. Use imagination.... there is plenty of ways to see this happening. Rift rewards, Jackal rewards, loyalty system rewards, trader shop.

Someone mentioned that followers could use more love as well, give followers some basic spells to use like in past.

More variety is good, trading is good, as long as real life money transactions are forbidden so those who only seeks to pay their rent via playing are gone.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Themystrix said:

No it shouldn't. It's a ###### sandbox where you can be anything you wanna be on one character if you put your time in it, not some random mmo with classes, we should have priests as special class to begin with.

38 minutes ago, kochinac said:

No it shouldn't. It's a ###### sandbox where you can be anything you wanna be on one character if you put your time in it, not some random mmo with classes, we should have priests as special class to begin with.

Idk if you are being sarcastic or what, but the fact that everyone can do everything, is killing the game.

Either have classes or reset the game which will never happen. 

4 hours ago, kochinac said:

You kind of have classes in wurm when it comes to picking a deity.. it lets you get a small something in return for a few no-no's; while priests later on.. additionally split in different able to .. and not's.. you have "classes", they are just not called that way.

Classless priests would mean.. having lets say.. 100 points.. and to pick several spells to learn from the whole variety... where.. good ones could cost you 20-30 points.. so you cant just pick all the sweets from the basket.. forcing you to pick a variety.. additional work on such system could be TIER-ing the spells and making them cost points to spend/learn to do.. etc..    similar ideas have already been around the forums.. but doubt anyone's going to like to grind more than 2 skills faith/channeling and start working on ~50...

No, i'm not sarcastic. Everyone can do everything  is what givee this game beauty and uniques. Main reason i play it still. Only thing that should be restriction is time to grind everything.

And no, no points for picking to make class again.

Religion/magic should be divided in categories you should grind(stone spells for collapse and mole sense for example, fire spells, healing spells, nature spells etc. Around 5-10 categories which would act as seperate skill you need to grind. maybe gradually unlock spells as you grind. Ditch rng so you actually have to have 90 skill to imp you spell to 90-95 and wurm is what it should be. No need for special priest classes, alts or anything.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kochinac said:

No, i'm not sarcastic. Everyone can do everything  is what givee this game beauty and uniques. Main reason i play it still. Only thing that should be restriction is time to grind everything.

And no, no points for picking to make class again.

Religion/magic should be divided in categories you should grind(stone spells for collapse and mole sense for example, fire spells, healing spells, nature spells etc. Around 5-10 categories which would act as seperate skill you need to grind. maybe gradually unlock spells as you grind. Ditch rng so you actually have to have 90 skill to imp you spell to 90-95 and wurm is what it should be. No need for special priest classes, alts or anything.

I agree.  Why gate it behind 'religion'?

• Like 1

Honestly, nice ideas, but futile. There is not the development workforce to create and implement such, much less the management and leadership to plan, oversee, and guide through. The latest developments have shown once more that the company is not really knowing what they do, jumping from one ad hoc decision to the next. Still the developer team is active and diligent, and may contain the (often self created) damage to some extent.

Wurm is what it is, it is not really classless, nor strictly class based. That is not perfect, but there is nobody left to turn it towards a really new concept.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Beretel said:

I agree.  Why gate it behind 'religion'?

I think it was to maintain a "low fantasy" setting.  Admittedly, wurm has somewhat abandoned that (Jackal being one example).

3 hours ago, Etherdrifter said:

I think it was to maintain a "low fantasy" setting.  Admittedly, wurm has somewhat abandoned that (Jackal being one example).

Trying to maintain the "low fantasy" too sternly is also why the Jackal skins are super underwhelming lol.

3 hours ago, Madnath said:

Trying to maintain the "low fantasy" too sternly is also why the Jackal skins are super underwhelming lol.

Wouldn't know, Jackal itself didn't appeal so I never looked too closely at the skins XD

On 1/11/2020 at 8:25 AM, Muse said:

can give every priest a means of earning a basic income.

I almost stopped reading right there.   Priests are able to do more than cast spells.  Chipping bricks, making mortar, farming, sawing planks and breeding horses ARE NOT restricted by priesthood.  

Oh, and there's archeology in your particular case, Muse.

On 1/11/2020 at 8:25 AM, Muse said:

Courier - everyone should be able to send and receive mail.  Why this has to be a priest spell I don't know, because it is so essential to everyone's day to day life, and vital for trade.  I believe this should be a basic right, not an option. 

Genesis - nearly everyone on PVE keeps animals, and it's tragic to see people struggling with generations of poor traited animals just for want of this simple utility spell.  Basic QoL.

Strongwall - Unless we live on a completely flat island, we will need to mine.  The chances of finding a completely pristine area to mine are unlikely in most areas, and so there will be drop-shafts and an expensive fix.   

Courier - I don't think it's unreasonable to ask a friend or priest selling their services to come "bless" your mailbox for you.  It is a one time deal, and having a baseline spell for a one time use is trivial.

Genesis - Kill it and breed another one.  You don't have to dispel every poor creature.  If you don't like to kill imaginary unicorns, release them into the wild like the other idiots, and I'll kill it for you if I find it.

Strongwall - This one is worthy of its own forum thread TBH.  I will not write a book to explain why I disagree with this one, but I will say if all priests get Strongwall, then there's no reason to be a Mag priest on freedom anymore.

12 minutes ago, Wargasm said:

I almost stopped reading right there.   Priests are able to do more than cast spells.  Chipping bricks, making mortar, farming, sawing planks and breeding horses ARE NOT restricted by priesthood.  

Oh, and there's archeology in your particular case, Muse.

Courier - I don't think it's unreasonable to ask a friend or priest selling their services to come "bless" your mailbox for you.  It is a one time deal, and having a baseline spell for a one time use is trivial.

Genesis - Kill it and breed another one.  You don't have to dispel every poor creature.  If you don't like to kill imaginary unicorns, release them into the wild like the other idiots, and I'll kill it for you if I find it.

Strongwall - This one is worthy of its own forum thread TBH.  I will not write a book to explain why I disagree with this one, but I will say if all priests get Strongwall, then there's no reason to be a Mag priest on freedom anymore.

Hi war.. welcome to 2017-9(?)changes or 2020 now... and no priest restrictions of almost any kind.. only thing a priest can not do.. is 'improve', and the few priest status restrictions like bashing etc specific to deities listed on wiki.. but these keep thinning out every few months as it seems..

Priests can work on ANY complex item.. being good at 1 skill lets them create items at ql90 or higher and compete with a non-priest account.. making 1-2 action items or just farming is far from the 'limitations' which nowdays are loudly fun to talk about, as it's easier to list the things can do...

@Wargasm - you make a fair point and well reasoned. 

I guess I was only thinking in a somewhat blinkered way about the priest skills in isolation - many people do lots of things with their priests for sure.  I guess I should have spent more time grinding up some other non-religion skills on Muse, because Nahjo spells are about the only thing she can do.  Her only other skill is milking which is not really much use these days, and arch/restoration is only about 50.    She was created specifically to be a Nahjo, but after the priest changes she will no longer be able to cast the spell set I needed, so it would be difficult to justify the prem.  No point prem-ing a toon who can no longer do what she was created to do. Thanks for your thoughtful comments though. :)