Sign in to follow this  
TheTrickster

Large Anvil should do everything a small anvil can

Logically, a large anvil would be MORE useful than a small one, but if one has a large (and presumably complex) anvil, it should do everything a small one does as well.  It is a pain remembering "which anvil do I use" and having to carry the small one to work it while the large one sits on the floor, as you would expect.

• Like 2

Yes, game-wise, it's a pain - including the wogic of which items are made by which anvil. But the argument, to me, seems similar to "a jackhammer should do everything a hammer can do." I'm not a blacksmith. Maybe it really does happen that an anvil is an anvil. But in a similar sense that fine carpentry isn't carpentry and jewelry smithing isn't blacksmithing, I don't think it's a huge burden to manage two anvil types: one for "detail" work and one for "heavy" jobs.

• Like 1

If you're a smith .. and you do not carry a small anvil with you.. shame on you... it's just 2kg, your bedroll is 5.5kg, bulk up.

Small anvil could be reasoned.. with jewelrysmithing creation etc.. good luck banging a small ring on a big anvil.. game's a bit more complex.. than having 1 item.. if you had large anvil and you were able to do it all on it.. why and when are you going to use small anvil than? to just make small items? That's weird.. like a half-solution on the go.. if you travel.. but at 8kg more you get to do anything... I'd imagine you'll just carry a lg.anvil with your cart/boat/wagon anywhere if you craft than, how about you? Is that the goal?

9 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

Logically, a large anvil would be MORE useful than a small one, but if one has a large (and presumably complex) anvil, it should do everything a small one does as well.  It is a pain remembering "which anvil do I use" and having to carry the small one to work it while the large one sits on the floor, as you would expect.

Are you drunk? google a bit to find out how many anvils do blacksmiths need prior to suggesting such none sense. I would so much like to see you blacksmithing a needle on an anvil like this

anvil.jpg

With a hammer like this

Hammer.jpg

Once you tried, let me know how it went for you...

• Like 3
  • Cat 2

9 hours ago, Skatyna said:

Are you drunk? google a bit to find out how many anvils do blacksmiths need prior to suggesting such none sense. I would so much like to see you blacksmithing a needle on an anvil like this

How many anvils a professional blacksmith needs?  One - if it is a good one  with hardy and pritchel holes and they have the right tools.  A specific kind of smith (e.g. jewel smith, farrier) can make better quality products faster on their specific style of anvil, but should be able to make their stuff okay on a blacksmith's anvil.  That's their function, to permit a wide range of objects to be made.

By the way, thank you so much for being friendly and constructive with a new player.  It really makes getting up to speed more enjoyable.

I have given this some thought.

Consider the campfire, it is a "portable" heat source, useful when out and about, but using it is more difficult than using say a forge or oven, both of which do everything a camp fire does.  There are difficulty penalties involved, but there is nothing you can make with a campfire that you can't make with a forge.  The small anvil is not a specialized tool, it is a basic one (almost crude), like a campfire is a not specialized heat source but a basic one.  A large anvil should be quite capable of making basic things like nails.

The issue of holding the small anvil in inventory is separate, but it the annoyance that made me think of this in the first place.  I laid out a forge with large and small anvils, and I use the large one while it sits on the floor but have to pick up the small one to use it.  Two tools of the same type, but different methods of use - you cannot use the large in in inventory and cannot use the small one not in inventory.   So, picture it, holding a glowing lump of metal in one hand and an anvil in the other and banging them together to make stuff.  🙂  Should it not instead be metal and hammer in hand with the anvil in front of you?

Edited by TheTrickster

What about the existence of use of small anvil bothers you?

The fact that you need small anvil to make certain items, and have to keep 2 tools' improved at relatively high ql - instead of only one?

1 hour ago, Finnn said:

What about the existence of use of small anvil bothers you?

Use: - I already spelled that out a couple of times.  The inconsistency of method with two types of anvil, and the lack of scalability of anvils compared for example to the scalability of heat sources.  What can you put in a flask that you can't put in a bucket?  The inconsistency in scalability is an issue with the large anvil, not the small one.   Yes, the fact that certain items can only be made with the small anvil is an issue.  It does not represent reality and the reasoning seems arbitrary.   It feels like the requirement is there simply to make you keep a small anvil as well as a large.  You must have a small anvil, but a hammer is optional.  That doesn't make much sense.   I would think that you would use a large anvil to fit out a forge, but a small anvil you take with you to provide an ability to make a subset of items.

Existence - None at all.

On 1/11/2020 at 10:40 AM, Finnn said:

it's just 2kg, your bedroll is 5.5kg, bulk up.

>implying many people actually carry that garbage on them

• Like 1