Sign in to follow this  
TheTrickster

Continental Drift

I have been thinking about the emptiness of Wurm.  There are currently few players, and a vast number of places they could be.   I have quite a few times logged in to see the player count message quoting less than 100 across all servers.  Just on Freedom, there are 8 servers, meaning less than 10 players per server.  The chances of a random encounter are pretty slim.

I know that people are protective of their "home" server, but to increase population density, perhaps some of these should be brought together.  Leave the individual geography as is but bring some of the islands up against each other, maybe to within bridgeable distance.  It could be a start on de-fragmenting the player base.

I wouldn't be opposed to the idea in general. But i think the issue would be on the technical side. Aka, the server would have to process information from multiple maps at once if they were all "bridged" on the same map.

Kinda like running 2 wurm clients at once. I might be wrong though , I am not familiar with how wurm is currently designed to handle the vast volume of information, objects, mobs, etc.

Good point.

Although, for objects it shouldn't be too bad, IF cleaning up of defunct stuff is allowed.  There certainly shouldn't be too many players to track.

In my mind I see it as two islands (for example) running on one server.

Xanadu has already shown that larger servers struggle.  It's better now than it was, but still laggier than the older, smaller servers.  I suspect with higher numbers, Indy would struggle too.

Also that it's really not possible without a lot of work from a technical standpoint. 

It's just asking for Wurmageddon 2.0   

17 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Wurmageddon 2.0   

Bring it on.

• Cat 1