Sign in to follow this  
Seriphina

Improving hunting through rewards and Taxidermy

I'm sure this has been visited repeatedly, but here goes: Hunting is lacking the excitement of discovery. There's a thrill when you kill a humanoid and get a recipe. That same thrill and hope could be applied to other creatures through Wurm in small ways in order to create a greater level of excitement around killing creatures.

Yes, this also introduces TAXIDERMY, a skill that should be a new subset of tailoring.

This involves several changes, I'll separate into spoilers so this doesn't just look like a wall of text.

Random Drops

Spoiler

Each creature will now have the chance to drop items when butchered. Part of this plays off of restoration & tailoring allowing players to recreate some items from bits recovered from the corpse. Critters chewing on things in random ruins and abandoned deeds means there are some scraps and bits here and there for us to "find" in their corpse. I'm sure a bigger list could be created with suggestions from other players. Likelihood of a specific item from a certain creature may be more likely, such as dogs chewing on yoyos or bears having partially digested some Wurmian and giving cloth rags.

Items suggested to include:

Small Colorful Rug Fragment (1/45)                                                                 Small Padlock

Colorful Rug Fragment (1/60)                                                                            Large Padlock

Large Colorful Rug Fragment (1/75)                                                                Metal lump Fragment (base metals only) 1/3

Meditation Rug Fragment 1/20 (of each type available)                               Fine Specimen (see taxidermy below)

Puppet Pieces (1/15)

Broken Yoyo (1/3)

Cloth Rags

Leather Pieces

Lore and Skill Journals with Alternative Crafting Recipes

Spoiler

With creatures now dropping items (per above suggestion), I suggest book pages. One of my favorite things in several other games has been finding the pieces of a book then assembling and displaying them. A couple of books that when assembled tell the story of the original PVP kingdoms might be a nice touch, such as the founding lore of MR, JK, and HOTS.  Additionally, some journal type books, requiring the binding of 25 unique pages, could give a good skill tick in a skill based on what the journal was about, such as finding a farmer's notebook giving a bit of farming skill, a woodcutter's diary skilling a bump in woodcutting, a woodworking periodical adding to fine carpentry, and so on. I'm not suggesting huge boosts, but a decent tick with sleep bonus would be the equivalent, similar to what is given when sacrificing a supreme item. Or they could be simply displayed. Journal type is randomized and determined at creation.

Additionally some special new recipes will be found with these journals.  A completed journal has a small chance to be directions to create an uncommon item, such as a variation on a trophy or other crafted item. Rarity of the recipes vary, none of them offer any different stats or other benefits and are entirely cosmetically different.

Special recipes may include:

Alternate Amphoras                                          Blacksmith's Leather Apron                  

New Wardrobe Model                                       Alchemist's Robes

A Dress                                                                Priest's Robes

Un-colored Colorful Rug (All sizes)                 Cook's Apron

Alternative trophy types                                    Herbed Cheese

Undyed Kingdom Banner                                  Small Circlet (like a small crown)

Taxidermy

Spoiler

As corpses are butchered, they will give a small chance at a new item: Fine Specimen. Chance increases with butchering skill to a maximum of 10% chance. This specimen will be the required component to create a preserved trophy. Specimens decay at a rate similar to that of a corpse. I realize I've not accounted for every possible creature in game, but this is to flesh out the idea a bit, not be the final draft of a game update. Additionally, these are intended as a type of item sink, so they are ingredient heavy. They should be uncommon and difficult to make. Trophy type is skill locked in the same way as other creation skills. The higher the taxidermy and materials, the better the success chance of creation or improving.

New objects:

Fine Specimen (specific to corpse butchered)

Waxed Cotton String (cloth tailoring, beeswax + cotton string)

Small Marble Mold (Pottery 30+ skill, hand + clay, can be improved, fired in kiln, single use item)

Large Marble Mold (Pottery 50+ skill, hand + clay, can be improved, fired in kiln, single use item)

Huge Marble Mold (Pottery 75+ skill, hand + clay, can be improved, fired in kiln, single use item)

Small Glass Eye (sand + small marble mold + white or black dye)

Large Glass Eye (sand + large marble mold + white or black dye)

Huge Glass Eye (sand + huge marble mold + white or black dye)

Stuffed Trophy (by creature type, possibly 2 poses per type)

Preserved Fish (1kg fish + salt)

Glue (hooves + water in cauldron)

Improving finished trophies requires Waxed Cotton String, Needle, Scissors, Leather Knife, and Mallet. Trophies should take no damage on deed with paid upkeep.

Players with low skill in taxidermy can improve skill by creating Waxed Cotton String or Preserved Fish

Fishing Trophy (15 Taxidermy) : Combine Preserved Fish + 1 Small Nails to start

5 of same type of fish, 1kg or greater each

1 Tapestry Stand

3 Planks

10 Small Glass Eyes

10 Salt

10 Waxed Cotton String

1 Small Nails

15 Cotton

10 Beeswax

Chicken Trophy (20 Taxidermy) : Combine Fine Specimen + 1 Salt to start (Can fit on top of surfaces with place feature)

Fine Specimen

20 Feathers

2 Small Glass Eyes

5 Salt

5 Woodscraps

10 cotton

15 Waxed Cotton String

12 Beeswax

Pheasant Trophy (25 Taxidermy) : Combine Fine Specimen + 1 Salt to start (Can fit on top of surfaces with place feature)

Fine Specimen

20 Feathers

2 Small Glass Eyes

5 Salt

5 Woodscraps

10 cotton

15 Waxed Cotton String

12 Beeswax

1 Branch

Dog or Wildcat Trophy (30 Taxidermy) : Combine Fine Specimen + 1 Salt to start

Fine Specimen

5 Furs

2 Pelts

2 Small Glass Eyes

10 Woodscraps

15 Cotton

10 Salt

20 Waxed Cotton String

15 Beeswax

SPECIAL RECIPE: Dog or Wildcat Trophy on Pillow (30 Taxidermy, 30 Cloth Tailoring): Combine Fine Specimen + 1 Salt to start

Fine Specimen

5 Furs

2 Pelts

2 Small Glass Eyes

10 Woodscraps

45 Cotton

10 Salt

20 Waxed Cotton String

15 Beeswax

10 Wool Cloth

Note: The pillow can by dyed.

Cow, Horse, Deer or Bull Trophy (35 Taxidermy): Combine Fine Specimen + 1 Salt to start

Fine Specimen

20 Salt

10 Hides

4 Shafts

2 Large Glass Eyes

15 Woodscraps

25 Cotton

20 Waxed Cotton String

20 Beeswax

Note: Horse trophy can be equipped with barding or saddles to memorialize a beloved pet.

SPECIAL RECIPE: Mounted Antlers (35 Taxidermy, 24 Fine Carpentry): Combine Fine Specimen (Antlers) + 1 Plank to start

Fine Specimen (Antlers)

10 Cotton

2 Leather

4 Planks

10 Waxed Cotton String

20 Beeswax

2 Small Nails

2 kg Glue

Mountain Lion or Wolf Trophy (40 Taxidermy): Combine Fine Specimen + 1 Salt to start

Fine Specimen

10 Furs

4 Shafts

2 Large Glass Eyes

15 Woodscraps

25 Cotton

20 Waxed Cotton String

15 Salt

20 Teeth

25 Beeswax

5 kg Glue

Bison Trophy (40 Taxidermy): Combine Fine Specimen + 1 Salt to start

Fine Specimen

15 Furs

10 Hides

20 Salt

25 Waxed Cotton String

2 Horns

50 Woodscraps

50 Cotton

2 Large Glass Eyes

4 Shafts

30 Beeswax

2 kg Glue

Brown Bear, or Black Bear Trophy (50 Taxidermy): Combine Fine Specimen + 1 Salt to start

Fine Specimen

15 Furs

10 Hides

20 Salt

25 Waxed Cotton String

30 Teeth

50 Woodscraps

50 Cotton

2 Large Glass Eyes

4 Shafts

30 Beeswax

5 kg Glue

Dragon Trophy (75 Taxidermy): Combine Fine Specimen + 1 Salt to start

Fine Specimen

2.5kg Dragon Scale

10 Shafts

75 Woodscraps

75 Cotton

50 Salt

15 Leather

10 Hides

50 Waxed Cotton String

2 Huge Glass Eyes

50 Teeth

40 Beeswax

10 kg Glue

Edited by Seriphina
Clarification
  • Like 29

So while I dig the idea, I have a few questions which I'll split into three parts as they relate to your post.

Will the random drops be on the corpse before or after butchering?

What happens to rare rolls while fighting? Will the coin be replaced with the rarity going towards whatever fragment will be on the corpse?

Will there be any benefit to the random drop fragments compared to archaeology fragments, given the higher risk factor? Otherwise I can just see piles of fragments being left around servers to rot.

With the skill journal stuff, are you suggesting an item that is added to the crafting menu to be made at will? Or pieced together like a normal fragment? Or more like the current Jackal skin tokens?

So will taxidermy creatures decay even on deed? If they do and there's no way to preserve them, I don't see a point or need to make them an item sink. I think a better version would be to have some sort of embalming liquid of sorts that can be applied to the item that will reduce damage based on QL of the liquid and the taxidermy skill.

31 minutes ago, Madnath said:

Will the random drops be on the corpse before or after butchering?

After butchering (like you found it in their stomach while you were chopping them up into bits).

31 minutes ago, Madnath said:

What happens to rare rolls while fighting? Will the coin be replaced with the rarity going towards whatever fragment will be on the corpse?

No change to the coin rolls. Butchering rare roll would have the possibility of adding rarity. Better than a rare meat IMHO.

33 minutes ago, Madnath said:

Will there be any benefit to the random drop fragments compared to archaeology fragments, given the higher risk factor? Otherwise I can just see piles of fragments being left around servers to rot.

No benefit apart from maybe getting to make things you might not be able to based on skill (much like we get with the arch smithed items. Possibility of runes might be nice on rugs with less decay or chance to improve rarity or chance to improve casts on meditation rugs and the like.

35 minutes ago, Madnath said:

With the skill journal stuff, are you suggesting an item that is added to the crafting menu to be made at will? Or pieced together like a normal fragment? Or more like the current Jackal skin tokens?

I'm suggesting a craftable item added to your crafting recipes, a la goblin liver & onions recipe and the way it adds to your cookbook.  It will have no trait bonuses over it's standard counterpart (similar to a jackal skin) but is a craftable variation that is purely cosmetic.

37 minutes ago, Madnath said:

So will taxidermy creatures decay even on deed? If they do and there's no way to preserve them, I don't see a point or need to make them an item sink. I think a better version would be to have some sort of embalming liquid of sorts that can be applied to the item that will reduce damage based on QL of the liquid and the taxidermy skill.

Only the item retrieved from the corpse decays (the Fine Specimen) , even on deed. The act of turning it into a trophy preserves it and stops decay/allows improvement.  Once it's a trophy, it's a decoration and takes no damage on deed.

Awesome Idea, but what about Lava Fiend, hell Hound, and Trolls Trophys mounts? Could do spiders too, and Rift Creatures. 

• Like 1

Honestly would love to see this make its way into the game. ;)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ArthurHawkwing said:

Awesome Idea, but what about Lava Fiend, hell Hound, and Trolls Trophys mounts? Could do spiders too, and Rift Creatures. 

As I stated in my original post:

14 hours ago, Seriphina said:

I realize I've not accounted for every possible creature in game, but this is to flesh out the idea a bit, not be the final draft of a game update.

I purposefully did not include Trolls or goblins as these are humanoid and that's a bit of a slippery slope.

There's people who have arachnophobia so I would probably leave spiders off the list. 

I don't feel like we need to include EVERY possible creature, especially since there is overlap with statues, HOTAs, archaeology statues, and so forth, but some may want to and that's cool. Again, not a fully complete listing, just a springboard to start the discussion.

Edited by Seriphina

I really like the idea and the details and especially the aspects like adding pottery another use and presenting a hoof and wax sink.

Dragon scale as ingredient for the dragon trophy is another interesting idea.

Fine specimen will be creature specific? That would make trophies really rare, even unique :P

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jaz said:

I really like the idea and the details and especially the aspects like adding pottery another use and presenting a hoof and wax sink.

Dragon scale as ingredient for the dragon trophy is another interesting idea.

Fine specimen will be creature specific? That would make trophies really rare, even unique :P

Yes, the fine specimen would be for that creature type... so a low chance to get it while butchering means not everyone will a dragon trophy, but more common creatures will be more common, though still unusual.

• Like 1

Very well thought out ideas.  However, is our Dev team up to introducing a new skill, rather than a cosmetic item, like the hitching post?

And if this is introduced, perhaps wool could be another ingredient ?  So few useful items to be made with wool atm...

And if the Dev team is up to bringing in a new skill, would not glass making (giving sand some love) be most useful ?

And after glass making, an addition that many would like is an addition to Tailoring, i.e. curtain making.

• Like 1

On 1/11/2020 at 8:42 AM, Baloo said:

Very well thought out ideas.  However, is our Dev team up to introducing a new skill, rather than a cosmetic item, like the hitching post?

And if this is introduced, perhaps wool could be another ingredient ?  So few useful items to be made with wool atm...

And if the Dev team is up to bringing in a new skill, would not glass making (giving sand some love) be most useful ?

And after glass making, an addition that many would like is an addition to Tailoring, i.e. curtain making.

I'm not sure what you're saying here. It seems like you're saying this shouldn't be considered because there's other things you'd rather see.

I don't think that the dev team working on other things would negate their ability to develop new skills and features in the game.

Additionally, the desire for other items such as glass making doesn't mean that other skills and features shouldn't be developed. Players have varied interests.

On your point of wool, wool contains lanolin which would seep over time into the taxidermied figure and could cause discoloration. Wool has quite a few uses, and cotton seems appropriate here.

I've been wanting taxidermy for years, but never really could piece together like this. I would support!

I quote like the idea, I'm always sad when the giant spiders decay from my roof.

+1 Would love Taxidermy. :) +2 If wall mounts and mantle pieces are included! ;)

Edited by Katrat
  • Like 1

I have wanted to stuff and mount an anaconda for a decade now. +1 if give me anaconda trophies.

• Like 1

It's been a year. Time for an anniversary bump.