Sign in to follow this  
Baloo

Please amend rift code - not on or near Tundra

Retrograde advised that:

"According to the code rifts need to be 40 tiles from water and greater than 1 height from water, and steepness less than 10 without structures or deeds, no mention of tundra."

Suggestion:  the code for rifts be amended to include not being anywhere near tundra.

• Like 1

isn't tundra coded to spread fast when majority of tiles surrounding dirt are tundra to help patch itself up after rifts already

we must find out what disease cause infinite love for tundra xD

Edited by Pankivtanke
  • Like 2

i think its all good as it is. tundra tiles patch itself up quite fast. i also think removing rift spawns from tundras would just cause more demands, like "code so rifts dont spawn on the slope of mountains etc hard to reach places".  rifts spawn random locations, end of story.

It took months of hard work by several players to restore the tundra on Mount Tundra.

Having rifts destroy that hard work really is not acceptable.

For me, it would be ok not to spawn rifts on tundra. It's rare area anyway, so shouldn't affect the spawn locations by much. I feel for Baloo's claim as she put a ton of work into restoring original Tundra Mountain on Exodus.

However if so, this would have to be smartly coded, so that players wouldn't use single tiles of tundra to prevent rifts over large otherwise-covered areas. This could be disruptive.

Tundra does spread much faster now and there is a transmutation liquid that creates tundra as well, it also uses a lot less of the liquid to change a tile

1 hour ago, Retrograde said:

Tundra does spread much faster now and there is a transmutation liquid that creates tundra as well, it also uses a lot less of the liquid to change a tile

bit off topic... Can you tell me, Retro, if there are numeral tundra tiles on the same area, does lingonberry spawn on them? or it does only spawn when lingonberries are already in the area. basically, if you craft 50x50 tundra, would they spawn it in?

I'm not sure if this addresses your concern, Baloo - but our last rift on Pristine spawned on  top of Tundra, the opening of the rift did not convert the tundra tiles to dirt.  Grass tiles within the tundra area did convert to dirt, but the tundra itself was unaffected.

Edited by Sidereal
  • Like 1

or make rifts to not terraform tundra and the tiles.. just make rift resources spawn on tundra and to not chance tiles on spawn or when resources are collected... e-z ?

52 minutes ago, Sidereal said:

I'm not sure if this addresses your concern, Baloo - but our last rift on Pristine spawned on  top of Tundra, the opening of the rift did not convert the tundra tiles to dirt.  Grass tiles within the tundra area did convert to dirt, but the tundra itself was unaffected.

Thanks, Sidereal - we shall see the damage after tomorrow's exodus rift....

• Like 1

While I sympathise with lost effort, ultimately, why should tundra be any different from other terrains?  If you really want to lock it down an area, you can deed it - that prevents rifts entirely too.

Does tundra spread to dirt? If not, allowing it to do so sounds like a better suggestion than further restricting rifts.

3 hours ago, Ostentatio said:

Does tundra spread to dirt? If not, allowing it to do so sounds like a better suggestion than further restricting rifts.

it does. like regular grass, takes over nearby dirt tiles and turns tundra. just slower than the grass spreads ofc

• Like 1

Well, I am pleased to report that not a great deal of damage was done to Mount Tundra by the last rift.

There was some and I had to do some more to flatten some of the rift lumps and bumps, but the tundra will grow back - eventually - in a few months' (not days' or weeks') time.

Maybe the suggestion should be that rifts do not have lumps, bumps and dips - are those really necessary?  They just cause huge terrain damage and take ages to find and fix them all - no matter what the terrain is.

• Like 1