Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

2019 and the future!

What a year! 

2019 has been one of the most impactful years in Wurm's history, with a lot of changes to both how we operate and to the transfer of ownership to Game Chest Group. It's clear that some of the changes have left people worrying about the future, but rest assured we have no intention of Wurm disappearing. 

For me personally 2019 has been huge steps, I moved from Australia to New Zealand, got to start the Wurm streams, and decided to take the leap into my own personal streaming too! I've big plans for 2020 and hope to see them come to fruition, but enough about me, on with Wurm!

The year in review

The start of the year was focused on the end of 2018 update, with a lot of tweaks and adjustments to the new fishing, spells and priest update, as well as the journal system. We hit the ground running with bugfixes and pushed through the first quarter with a ton of QOL changes. 

Devstreams

FSF6XaX.png

2019 was the launch of the Wurm Online devstreams, something I've wanted for a long time but lacked the bandwith to do so. New Zealand gave the perfect opportunity to start this with community streams, update streams and our own deed, Under Development. It's been a lot of fun with lots of moments of joy, I still haven't dyed my beard green, figure I'll do that at 1000 followers. 

Epic Relaunch

iR1Vgr5.png

A big PvP focused update was on the relaunch of Elevation as a server with a fair few PvP specific changes. The new map by Ausimus and all the work by Darklords provided an exciting burst of freshness within PvP, and gave plenty of feedback about what we'd like to see in any future launches of PvP servers. 

Jackal

aeQQ9Bk.png

The biggest update of the year was definitely the new Jackal server! A new server with strange features (and a few bugs, plus ones you can ride!) It was a big departure from the standard Wurm experience and we learned a lot about what worked and what didn't. You can be certain we'll be taking a lot of lessons from this round and will be incorporating those things learned into future editions. 

Steam Wurm

byvgcVT.png

Another big announcement was the plan to launch a WO server on Steam. This one came with a little trepidation but we're working on making Wurm the best it can be for all players, and a huge amount of updates will be coming to the existing servers long before the launch on Steam becomes reality. 

QoL all year

FbJDV1l.jpg

A huge amount of long requested features from the suggestions board found their way ingame this year. From sail furling, to underground farming, hitching posts and more. It's been a big year for features and we're proud of every one to come to the game

The future

You know our goal is Steam by mid 2020. For that, we will need the UI ready, little QoL adjustments and such, but we will also be releasing the Loyalty system very early in the new year along with focusing on bringing visual features and improvements to Wurm as the year goes on. 

We're looking at the bigger picture of the future of wurm, and we hope you are too!

P4qo0zE.gif

• Like 16

7 minutes ago, Madnath said:

Third person mode confirmed, got it

MAKE ME A WOMAN FINALLY THEN!

• Like 3

Third person has been in the code for years.  I activate it often when playing WU.  It is a nice change-of-pace.

• Like 1

Is there a map dump coming? Last one was 2 years ago, right?

• Like 2

third person fantastic now i wont have to look at the floor to see what i'm wearing in game without paper doll or the window.  i'm so excited, i scared and freaked my dog out in my exclamation of joy.  i really hope to see a lot more cloths (pirate hat) come into the game, im however excited to see what the 2020 year to come will bring.

Edited by leander

50 minutes ago, Seraph said:

Cape?

Finish your journal to get it. 100 rifts, helping on 250 missions etc all that easy stuff that everyone can do, like wear fully enchanted scale set. 

Ps. I already fear what you have come up with now towards pvp. PvE people should be far away from PvP decisions. How about devs making their own kingdom? Fully committing to PvP and all its aspects, attacking, raiding, defending etc. 1 year. You could get valuable info of how it works. Deeds free for all during the experiment. Just a thought... Wurm is too complicated to even devs to fully understands its mechanics and it should be changed. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Themystrix said:

Ps. I already fear what you have come up with now towards pvp. PvE people should be far away from PvP decisions. How about devs making their own kingdom? Fully committing to PvP and all its aspects, attacking, raiding, defending etc. 1 year. You could get valuable info of how it works. Deeds free for all during the experiment. Just a thought... Wurm is too complicated to even devs to fully understands its mechanics and it should be changed. 

Or we have two devs who spent a huge amount of time in PvP and know it's issues and areas that need improving! 

Don't worry, PvP experience is there. 

• Like 1

I'm here with the hype train for the Epic relaunch.  Will the Freedom to Epic skill transfer still apply?
Is there a thought process about adding an the algorithm so a majority of those skills will transfer back to Freedom as well? 

1 hour ago, Kichi said:

I'm here with the hype train for the Epic relaunch.  Will the Freedom to Epic skill transfer still apply?
Is there a thought process about adding an the algorithm so a majority of those skills will transfer back to Freedom as well? 

We'll be launching a PvP server via Steam, the work planned for the relaunch of Epic will be applied there.

please don't forget about wu once the steam move is done and everyone's back to normal shifts.
can't grow woad there yet.

9 minutes ago, Steveleeb said:

please don't forget about wu once the steam move is done and everyone's back to normal shifts.
can't grow woad there yet.

As we've stated WU won't be receiving content updates anymore. We'll be doing an update with bug fixes and tweaks to some WU things that require WO specific things but we will not be adding features that have come to WO into WU. 

Oh i thought you'd just stalled the updates until steam was sorted, leaving WU's future dependant upon the success of steam WO. didn't realise it's been relatively abandoned.
silly me has been defending codeclub when the topic arose.

alright then, i guess that gives me the freedom to choose not to sub.
no support means no support, equalibrium being key.
Good luck. got 3 years upkeep so i'll be around.
*turns his attention to oracle*

Edited by Steveleeb

Withholding the distant rendering from WU is a particularly low blow.

• Like 1

When you all are happy with 3rd person view I won't spoil it. But honestly, I cannot say that I am happy with.

Maybe I would never have tried 1pv again were it not forced upon me when starting wurm. But now I am happy with, and it gives me a feeling I had missed since the times of Descent. I fear I may try 3pc for laziness though, and stick with it, and part of wurm will die with. Even worse, most will adopt that more "modern" playstyle, and some day 1pv will vanish. Sad.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Themystrix said:

Ps. I already fear what you have come up with now towards pvp. PvE people should be far away from PvP decisions. 

As should PvP people be far away from PvE decisions. 

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Fairyshine said:

You know, pve exists on pvp servers... But sure lets split the community even more, thats gonna be great for the game! 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Ekcin said:

When you all are happy with 3rd person view I won't spoil it. But honestly, I cannot say that I am happy with.

Maybe I would never have tried 1pv again were it not forced upon me when starting wurm. But now I am happy with, and it gives me a feeling I had missed since the times of Descent. I fear I may try 3pc for laziness though, and stick with it, and part of wurm will die with. Even worse, most will adopt that more "modern" playstyle, and some day 1pv will vanish. Sad.

not only wurm needs 3rd person view, but it also needs a "free look" and zoom view. only then wurm can advance to 20th century, even tho we long live in 21st...

Edited by Skatyna

Glad to see Wurm is getting 3rd person in, I will always like first person as well but having both with the ability to ORBIT around the character view has definitely been needed, just make sure camera has collision so it cant be used to exploit clipping view in walls for stuff in a pvp setting or privacy exploiting overall.

@RetrogradeNow if only you guys could add a option to build windows inside the big open space all the walls have.

Edited by Jeston
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Fairyshine said:

Most PvP people do live in PvE also. :) 

some truly great work gone into wurm this year can't wait to see what the next year brings! Even though I am one of the (apparent) few people who likes to play games in first person mode, mostly for my utter lack of directional skills in third person, I can not wait to play around with it! 

Keep up the great work, happy new year!

• Like 1

Great updates indeed and great work has been done. Have you guys done something to creature spawns? i see more goblins nowadays and lava fiends roaming, not saying its a bad thing, i like it.