Sign in to follow this  
Beretel

Improvement to Leading Animals

Because of the way leading animals works, an animal pen must be 1x2 or 'pass through' style.

How about, if you stand still for 5 seconds, the animal you're leading comes close to you.

Or, you have a command on the context menu to 'draw the animal close'.

This would save space and make planning and breeding easier.

• Like 1

Auto-draw close wouldn’t be too good imo, but maybe a 2nd lead step to draw it closer would be good. 

I was thinking maybe a shorter lead rope? One that would keep the animal being led in the same tile as the person leading it. It is quite annoying trying lead a small animal into a 1x1 pen.

• Like 1

I have always found the "snatch strap" dynamic of the rope to be humourous, but yes the animal stands a long way off.  I don't get why anyone leading an animal wouldn't be holding the rope or lead just far enough away for good leading. 

The animal should really stay within about half a tile of you.

Personally I think that the leading mechanic works fine when walking and such.  The only irritating part is that it stays so far away when you quit walking. As the OP suggested, a simple fix for penning an animal would be to simply have the animal come to you when you stand still.  Shortening up the lead rope in general would not hurt though.