Sign in to follow this  
Delacroix

Suggestion: improve the display of dyes on wood objects

Because wooden objects are no longer dyable in the sense that even high-quality dyes only somewhat tint an item, I suggest that, if this isn't something that can be improved within the current system, we remove wood type affecting an item's appearance again in order to allow for the full functionality of dye to return.

Included below is a screenshot of a 13/13/13 dyed large cart to demonstrate just how bad this is:

WwcmzLm.png

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, armyskin said:

shouldnt that be almost black?

Yep. And once upon a time it was. For comparison, here's a screenshot from March 2018, after I purchased dye from@Retrogradeand dyed my ship and cart to begin with: JnpA8Jq.jpg

Edited by Delacroix

the wood type shader is replaced by the dye. 

With modern renderer on it's how it's intended. 

Ok,can you explain in easy english what that means?

Because of the modern renderer black is no longer black?

Regarding dyes, it's as Retrograde has said - wood shaders do not affect dyed items, for consistency. However, dyes were always guesswork as to the end result, and that's just due to them dying the texture, not replacing color.

The update that introduced HDR to the modern renderer has changed appearance of some dyes, while most of them were brought back similar to how they were with following hotfixes, the "edge cases" like black are no longer as strong, that's most likely staying as is.

We are however interested in adding paint that would add a layer of color instead of tinting the underlying texture. It's not something we're working on right now but likely to appear in the upcoming months.

Edited by Yldrania
Moderation Edit
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Samool said:

We are however interested in adding paint that would add a layer of color instead of tinting the underlying texture. It's not something we're working on right now but likely to appear in the upcoming months.

That sounds really interesting. It would ge tover all the issues where the end result is not exactly what one hopes - I guess being an additional layer it will cause the texture to be replaced by smooth paint?

unknown.png

2 hours ago, Samool said:

wood shaders do not affect dyed items, for consistency.

So why do I have a brown boat with a black sail?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wargasm said:

So why do I have a brown boat with a black sail?

4 hours ago, Samool said:

dyes were always guesswork as to the end result, and that's just due to them dying the texture, not replacing color.

It's affected by the underlying texture, it's not affected by different wood types.

2 hours ago, Jaz said:

That sounds really interesting. It would ge tover all the issues where the end result is not exactly what one hopes - I guess being an additional layer it will cause the texture to be replaced by smooth paint?

That's the general idea, an overlay texture with the given color. That would allow for white paint as well, white dye doesn't really dye stuff white either.

• Like 1

I'd like an explanation of how "non-edge cases" were able to be fixed, while black is not, because this is pretty shitty.

We were promised a major overhaul of dyes years ago.  Afaik this has never happened.

Would be good to have black (the most difficult to make) and white (easiest to make) dyes working properly.

Edit: In fact it would be good to have all the colours working properly and for blue to be blue, not purple.

Edited by Baloo

It's screwed many dyes up this HDR , i had a friends hot pink armor go to something horrible like a pascal orange/pink, same as carts , i guess the days of dye making with a RGB chart or just with the eye is over,  just have to wait god knows how long to get it fixed, i won't be holding my breath..

I'd like to see this brought back:

"Shader adjustments:

In the coming update we’ll also be adjusting how dyes act with wooden items, if any item is dyed the wood type will not show, meaning an oakenwood cart dyed the same shade of blue as an orangewood cart will look identical. This should help return the vibrancy of dyes as well as make it much easier to colour match!"

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Toecutter said:

It's screwed many dyes up this HDR , i had a friends hot pink armor go to something horrible like a pascal orange/pink, same as carts , i guess the days of dye making with a RGB chart or just with the eye is over,  just have to wait god knows how long to get it fixed, i won't be holding my breath..

I'm the mentioned friend, and I seriously believe that dyes have been broken.

Cart before HDR: 

a1577b48e4.jpg

Cart after HDR:

cf2a6ab479.jpg

• Like 3