Sign in to follow this  
Rocklobstar

Bottom of the barrel, Let all players be priest

why not let us be priests and crafters? The work is already done, many private servers allow this. It would probably even bring tons of players back. Wurm's greatest strength is the "classless" system, so lets remove the priest class and merge them.  The argument of losing premium accounts is no longer valid, the game is mostly empty.

1e0p66.jpg

Edited by Retrograde
Removed incorrect statement
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Just letting you know I removed an incorrect statement. 

We are close thou, are we not?

35 minutes ago, Rocklobstar said:

We are close thou, are we not?

Not in the slightest.

That sounds great for priests who want to craft.  I don't think regular players should have a faith system forced on them by a merge though.  My regular toon likes being an atheist! :) 

Edit: My main toon is my favourite, she is 'me' in the game - if she was forced to be a priest I don't know that I would bother to prem.  People play in different ways.  For some it's not about gaining passive bonuses as it is about role-play or identity. So she'd want to stay non-priest non-faith. Just my viewpoint.

Edited by Muse
Additional info
  • Like 1

you're missing out by not being a follower... every faith gives some passive bonus... makes no sense to not make use of it... penalties.. you can get up to 30 faith... and you'll rarely do the 'no-no' actions.. even if you wreck it down to 20 or 0.. who cares.. up to 10 was 1-2 days? 20 takes near a week or a bit over that.. to get the passive again for same or different deity..

don't want to comment balance in actions possible by non\priests... meta's stronK there

Runes.  Runes are the answer.

That replaces the priest's market spells altogether.  It takes individual effort, and a team effort, and other USEFUL skill sets to accomplish.  More Wurmian, and a more elegant solution in my belief.

But it takes EFFORT to acquire the material, and specific chosen skills to apply them. Not just repeating the same spell over and over and over and hope it doesn't break something.

As a priest...

If I cannot mine... then I should be able to bring down a cave wall and collect the scraps. (disintegrate)

If I cannot woodcut, I should toss trees about in a windstorm and collect the fallen trees. (tornado)

If I cannot dig, then I make the ground shake and collect what rises up (earthquake instead of dirt).

Currently, the are separate from the specific priests that actually need them.

And I should have less control over the quality of what I collect, but have a way to collect ALL resources.

If I cannot cast CoC, WoA, etc... then I can improve my items.  And my priest actions should affect soul depth more often, so that as a priest, I naturally have some advantage in rune attachments just by playing my role.

As a priest, I should be able to see things others cannot (better reveals, priest missions) or pass through portals others cannot (but can summon others to follow me).

It should require less effort to be a priest, but more effort to remain one.

Sorcery should be detached from religion.  It should be blasphemy.  I shouldn't be able to cast sorcery spell while being a follower or priest.   I mean it is a really damned good idea, but it seems to be broken by what ELSE you can do while also being a sorcerer.   

Whoops, sorry, I was daydreaming there for a minute.   Carry on.

I don't like the idea.
I like the priest is there on side of things, I like team playing, a mmo is not meant to be played alone.
On my deed I have two different priests, and we work as a team, they don't have a alt account or something, so I help them with the tings they cant do.

I know Freedom is most single player in a MMO world, but that is why I am on Epic, because I like to play with others hehe.

So yar sure, I see the idea in it for them there just want to do it all by them self, as there is players there do, as they make alt's  but seen in the eyes of the mmo or Epic player then no.
As long as it dos not come to Epic I don't care hehe 😃

7 minutes ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

nope

You just dont want to have to grind channelling to 99 again.

I totaly agree with this, and often advocate the idea in random comments. But I think channeling and spell system needs to be overhauled for this(really overhauled, not slightly changed like the last "overhaul" ). Basicly channelling needs to be split in X subskills one have to grind to get propper results in casting specific spells. That way we can ditch the gods and seperate gods from magic which would truly make Wurm classless as it should be.

• Like 2

Would definitely "reduce" the cost of playing the game in some manner, no longer have to have 2 accounts, nowadays being a priest is a must have on PvP also, this is spells online now, if you are not priest, you are dead. If you remove the restrictions and everyone can be priests and crafters, which i support... but, make a e-mail notification of it to all players.

You don't have to be a priest to be on PVP, priests are needed for pvp sure ting.
No one say you need to charters, you can chose like I do to play with players there is priests, and they can chose to play with some one there is not like me.

It is up to everyone them self, if they want to make a alt cheater to have a priest as well.
But to run in a world where all is priests arh.
Then will be my end day for wurm 😃

WU is a good place to be if you like it all to be handed to you, I like a game there bit a little back 😃

Edited by Fushaum

I think it really depends on what kind of game the Devs want wurm to become.

If they want wurm to be a single player game where you can share your creations with other players, then spells for everyone is the next logical step on that path.

If they want it to be a multiplayer game where player interaction is essential, then spells for everyone erodes that further.

Given that magic has already been "overhauled" and wasn't really left with much that distinguished it: we already see a lot of effects that were previously proposed as enchants in runes now.  We also see the role magic in wurm is aimed at: PvP, not PvE.

At this point, the Dev's previous actions suggest that they favour option one, and with wurm's PvP being over, logic dictates that spells for everyone is the way they wish to go, but gradually.

Edited by Etherdrifter
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, Etherdrifter said:

At this point, the Dev's previous actions suggest that they favour option one, and with wurm's PvP being over, logic dictates that spells for everyone is the way they wish to go, but gradually.

Wurm PvP is dead for so many reasons, devs neglecting it for years is one, when finaly something is done, its done with left hand. Talking about changes needed, changes promised or changes just ignored, it will go in vain like in past so no point. 

PvP players has been the loud crowd and demanding changes and i cant blame them, for the money involved there and the economical impact they have had or was involved, they have the right to ask for enjoyable PvP. 

Spells were overhauled yes, but those needs tweaking... Besides, whats up with the BL hate devs, worst priests out there. There is 3 main WL gods and only 1 for BL and its nerfed to the ground. 

Magic overhaul might be cool, but then again.. Priests and wizards are two different things.. Or fighters... Then there is templar knights etc. But these major updates should be discussed with whole community... Make actual use of the launcher page and announce there a discussion of the future. Like PvP updates should be discussed with actual PvPers and actually listening would be good start althought that train is long gone.. Start listening to PvE folks before its too late. 

• Like 2

I like the limitations of choosing going Priest, but I do feel like they're a bit harsh. Arishok's ideas for having some alternative methods for achieving common tasks is interesting. I could get behind something like that, while maintaining some limitations on the quality of the product. Essentially, "a priest can do X but can't do it nearly as well as a non-priest. "

Of course I understand the argument that Wurm is meant to be played in groups, but I don't think priesthood is one of the things encouraging people to seek groups. In my experience, going priest usually comes after someone has already chosen to play in a group... And rarely does anyone play priest only. (I said *rarely* - I know some do!)

• Like 1

By forcing players to rely on other players to PROGRESS is the cause of many MMOs to end.  It only has “worked” in Wurm because of Alts.  Is that the game mechanic intended? 

Players that can only do certain high value things - in a “classless” system - but cannot do basic things = Alts

Runes could be cultivated to create a more cooperative and player interactive Wurm experience - from acquisition to application.  As it stands, the most sought out abilities are locked behind a priest grind and is disparate from ALL other Wurm mechanics.  

I am not advocating for everyone to be everything all the time. 

I am advocating for priest to be less important, but still be unique - not impotent.  

I agree with Ether that the developers need to decide which type of MMO they want to continue.  I disagree that the options are single player or bust. 

They already have a system that encourages team work - even from lone wolves - runes.  Granted it needs to be further cultivated towards that end goal.  

The other system, priests, encourage alts.  There are exceptions - but does it currently represent the INTENT of the religion system?

Wurm has some of the most interesting and clever systems:

Religion

Sorcery

Crafting

Meditation

Kingdoms

They feel like they were created by different people for different end results.  They are NOT in symbiosis.  

6 hours ago, Themystrix said:

Wurm PvP is dead for so many reasons, devs neglecting it for years is one, when finaly something is done, its done with left hand. Talking about changes needed, changes promised or changes just ignored, it will go in vain like in past so no point. 

PvP players has been the loud crowd and demanding changes and i cant blame them, for the money involved there and the economical impact they have had or was involved, they have the right to ask for enjoyable PvP. 

Wurm PVP is not over, I am on Epic, and play nearly every day.
I see others there two, not many no, but we are some, and we will like more come back.

There is different PVP players out there, why and how do I PVP, I always play pvp, it add more to a game, things fell they can contentious for a bit longer, on pve, there is over populated, not with players but with deeds, no one rely play to gather, it is nearly only one mad deeds, and they are so damn big.

PVP is more a team style thing, you need other players, to gather you are strong, alone you will fall.
I don't play PVP to hunt and kill other players, I don't think that is fun at all, pvp just for pvp naaa, I don't want to be a ###### to others, even if they are in a other kingdom, hell bag in the day, I traded with the other kingdoms, I don't care.

But freedom is all ready just a single player game where you show your stof to others, that is the main reason I am on Epic, and I hope more is going to follow, and I will hate to see Epic become a single player game as well.

4 hours ago, Fushaum said:

Wurm PVP is not over, I am on Epic, and play nearly every day.
I see others there two, not many no, but we are some, and we will like more come back.

There is different PVP players out there, why and how do I PVP, I always play pvp, it add more to a game, things fell they can contentious for a bit longer, on pve, there is over populated, not with players but with deeds, no one rely play to gather, it is nearly only one mad deeds, and they are so damn big.

PVP is more a team style thing, you need other players, to gather you are strong, alone you will fall.
I don't play PVP to hunt and kill other players, I don't think that is fun at all, pvp just for pvp naaa, I don't want to be a ###### to others, even if they are in a other kingdom, hell bag in the day, I traded with the other kingdoms, I don't care.

But freedom is all ready just a single player game where you show your stof to others, that is the main reason I am on Epic, and I hope more is going to follow, and I will hate to see Epic become a single player game as well.

Compared how PvP was not long ago, having 2-4 players on a map, i consider it dead. PvP is player versus player, meaning you actually attack the enemy and defend your kingdom.... if you do it any other way, its playing PvE on a PvP server. Sure you can play whatever, but come on... lets be real here. Actual PvPing is dead.

• Like 1

Honestly WO may have been a game where it tried to do team work with the rifts and such but in large it doesn't seem like a game that wanted people to go out together an do many thing. I played other MMO's like EverQuest, EverQuest II, and  Final Fantasy, those where MMO's that you needed other people in order to play the game to the fullest. WO is not like that and lets face it, when you log on to WO and only see about 7 people online for the whole server (like Exodus), community play just isn't vary viable. I am not saying it isn't there its just not what others would call an MMO play style. I think it is more of a single player with MMO aspects like other people on the server in case you want to go see what others are doing or maybe going and helping a neighbor with some terraforming. Honestly I think opening up priest to everyone would be a good idea, that or rework the magic system to actually include Sorcerers and give them some of the Priest spells. Some of those spells I though never made any sense for priests to have but would have made a lot of sense for a Sorcerer. Lets face it, if the Steam release tanks and we don't get a lot of new players, the community on the game may shrink even more. Also with the WO team slowing down updates for the WU side of things and instead opening it up for modders, we may see even less people than we do now.

Sure, why not alienate all of us who have spent hours upon hours upon hours of premium time (aka,,, real money) by making our characters obsolete.

I mean, why not?

@Dranana1To be fair you mentioned three vertical, linear, theme park MMOs - but It supported my argument you need other players to play to the fullest - but not to progress.  

Now rifts, I concede, border on themepark, and there are viable opposition for inclusion in an open sandbox game.   But here we are - rifts are still being closed by players, correct?

I firmly believe the arcane should not become mundane.  This is whats is happening in wurm, and that is what giving all players priest spells would do. That was the final nail for SWG - adding jedi to character creation.   

However, my position is the chasm between the value of the “market spells” vs the restrictions are too great.  It is creating odd “must” have arrangements that I believe is making the Wurm experience less than it should be. I am unable to see a situation where that was intended.  

There so many unique systems that can be obtained simultaneously, and they all seem to be limiting one another's development by that fact.  

I understand @ChampagneDragoncomplaint - it would be total ###### to blanket gift what some have worked hard for.  It would be betrayal in no exaggeration.  

Wurm players: devs killed the markets

Also Wurm players: please give us the ability to priest with no downsides at all so we can all cast spells, thank

I'd like to see personal spells going to players, some very very basic ones. Bearclaws for example, while big and important spells like CoC are still available only to those willing to make that sacrifice.

• Like 2

I agree with @Madnathand @Arishok, if they gave some spells like bless to everyone, then I am good with that and they can keep everything else for the priests. They could make it to where you use karma for these types of spells, then people would be more interested in the "Quests" they have going in the game so they could get the karma. 

When I was saying earlier to let everyone be priests (I wasn't saying give it to them for free after all that is not the Wurm way and I don't want to see it given for free either) they would have to work for it just like everyone else but at least give them the option or give the option to imp stuff with the priests. You may be surprised that not many people will go priest since they would have to work really hard to do it but it would still be there if they wanted to try it. You can keep the penalties like can't mine and such, that would still make it hard to do priest especially for those who want to complete everything (like me). 

I am just trying to give some options that might help get more people to play the game since I really like it and want to see other enjoy it as well. I have other ideas that may appeal to other players, but Wurm is a very niche game so not sure how well they would be received by the community. I will post those in another post in the forum and people can check them out if they want.