Sign in to follow this  
Sandyar

Keep sail control and movement keys separate

I think it not a good way to have combined sail control on ships with movement key. W and S key should only control movement of ship like it used to. Either right click to control sail or new key bind. It is annoying and not very intuitive to have to press W key 4 times every time you want to start sail.

Now If you want to stop you have to press S 3 times example to regain stamina then 3 times W to start sail again... Before you just press once.

Key press not queued so you cant just press 4 times on w then go, because on every action there is timer bar you have to wait for. In practice I have less control over the boat as I had before.

• Like 7

I see there is a trend to return to the old key-mashing and mad-clicking system: after fishing, here comes sailing.

Having to mash w and s keys to go through all sailing stages to reach the one you want is counter-intuitive and not entertaining.

There is a status bar below the health bar, it could/should be used to click once on the desired sailing mode, so it switches to that, without the need to press a key multiple times.

• Like 1

Is it possible to have a Captain UI when the player commands a boat?

Something like... wurm's fighting stance and moves controls.. to Un/moor, and command sails.... have some keybinds for that... but replacing player keybinds for side actions which aren't too common... seems unnecessary....Something like this... how in other games.. armor shows when it's starting to break... (beats me.. why it's this but.. it's 'best I could see at a glance in ggl')

Spoiler

7e11548cd687317122c2d1b163a4cfc9.png
AZayS.png

UI could be with boat model in similar simplified icon.. with outlined sails when all are lowered and filling them in steps.. when they are being used...

Spoiler

collection-great-boat-logos_23-214761720

Does any of that make sense to anyone else?

• Like 4

a clickable UI would be nice. Have both options of a bind or using the clickable UI,  just like the stance UI =D great Idea Finnn.

• Like 1

+1 new control system seems not very comfortable one. I also assumed that I could click on icons to lower/raise sails

I have not tried sailing yet but who the h**l decided to roll up all my sails on the ships?

How about having then down as default?

• Like 2

Agreed on this. 

The sails HUD is already there - couldn't it be made clickable to take us directly to the level we want? Then allow keybinds for each level, and we're sorted?

• Like 1

Commander UI for the ships would be nice, and could even have the anchor 

• Like 1

I'd kill to be able to reverse with S again, without any timer or sail change...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Madnath said:

I'd kill to be able to reverse with S again, without any timer or sail change...

switching sails have action timer? W T *.....................

Why was that necessary to make it into an action/time loading bar/ system?

Do we have action system switching fighting stances or action timers for fighting moves.. 'because it makes sense to prepare for certain moves', no.. why? because it would be annoying and sucking all the fun from playing with it.

I'd understand this to be a thing for a massive ship.. as an alert for many passengers.. but c'mon, full boat is a miracle to see.. and it's not even with people.. often it's somebody's alts going to a public slaying.

Why is movement dumbed down with more and more action /timers/bars to watch, instead of freedom to just move, unless the server requires some time to catch up with an instant command being send.. this is really unnecessary IMO, but that's just me thinking it.

A hud like Finn mentioned would be awesome.  Add list of passengers - even logged out ones.  Basic controls, mooring options.  It would fit with other systems we have.   

I think the complaints about the keys could be solved through custom key binds.  

This is the same method that the game black flag uses - so it makes sense to me.  

Reverse is really only useful for docking maneuvers and getting off a sand bar, the latter being a frustrating experience.  

I don't wholly understand the opposition to the update at large - other than its not what your used to. 

There is 4 forward speeds (adrift, quarter, half, and full sail) and reverse.  

Currently, you must cycle through each stage up and back down.  There is a 2-3 second timer/delay between stages.  

You have to cycle from full through each cycle down to get to reverse.  

I think In essence the complaints are in favor of a one click full speed and one click reverse rather than cycling.  

And there are some conflicting complaints about being adrift on server change or keep speed you were at prior to cross over.  

I believe Retro mentioned a clickable interface change that would accomplish that.  Custom key binds might also alleviate complaints about the WD keys cycling by default. 

Edited by Arishok
Added line

Just tried sailing it SUCKS....

all the W and S and timers to raise/lower sails..... it's disgusting for movement.... haven't tried reverse yet.. but I'm out .. and want to go kill something.. why not spend bunch of time playing with the sails.. more micromanagement, it's fun they say..

..nobody says that..

Also oh wonder... icons that show are GLUED to HP bar forcing me to rearrange my HUD for that 1 random travel type that I do not even use often because if I do.. well it's all packed into other things now....

having a blast with the sailing changes..

--edit

Compared to old X-key to go forward and just A/D to turn..... or pressing X to 'stop' moving.. maybe 1-2 S to regain stamina and use something or drop in the water............... to use a compass.. because.. wogic...

Now it involves a ton of W/S keys timers inbetween and oh fun.. all the stamina management etc.. that just drives you insane if you plan to sail.. definitely not liking this

Edited by Finnn

+1

This is a nightmare for PvP boat captains, dredging and maneuvering in tight places.  

The first thing I had to relearn was to stop touching WD, and just sail.  

I treat sailing with consideration of momentum.  If I am coming in hot, I peel back, turn and pop a slight reverse.  Its much more satisfying for me.   The annoyance of prepping my anchor and brief panic to get it right is now gone.   

Slowing down to spot things on coast is much easier, previously I would turn to the wind, bank, or moor.  This is much simpler, and I can take in much more visually before having to commit to a course change.  Just wish spyglass worked while moving onboard ship.  

I have better control over speed if I have to AFK... I can sort out my speed and distance to not run aground before I get back.  

People that have complained sailing is slower... I would have to see some trials on that, as I am not experiencing it. 

Haven't dredged or pvp’d so cannot comment on that.  

Previous way was too arcade for my tastes.   I understand some dislike change in general, and others have sincere criticisms.  I offer my comment as I am not displeased with the changes.   

Edited by Arishok
Extra words

23 minutes ago, Wargasm said:

+1

This is a nightmare for PvP boat captains, dredging and maneuvering in tight places.  

what pvp.. I cant kill a standing still creature.. in the water.... and it was a champ...

GOOD part was.. it kept catching up with me instead... so my struggling to 'operate' was more or less not so necessary .. 

I'll admit that it's a micromanagement nightmare/hell... to perform simple movement...

Once we can click to jump right to a sail position we're nearly golden. I think S should still be a full reverse regardless of sail.

Title says it all +1 it’s a good idea but keeping the same key as normal movement is annoying.

+1

Also switching to any state on sails rather than sequential unfurling. 

+1, but unfortunately this is Wurm where the name of the game is one step forward and ten steps back.

can i +1 this again? 

Been years since I last played and just made my first sailboat again... and it feels unnatural and terrible. Movement keys should be for movement only, in my opinion.

If W and S -- or rather, "Move Forward" and "Move Backwards" don't actually move me, then they shouldn't do anything.

And the system rebinds my movement keys into something else by force, and I don't even have the choice to change and rebind it myself? I can customize hundreds of other actions, at least don't force my own keys and let me customize this "Furl/Unfurl Sails" please.

On 12/30/2019 at 8:55 AM, Finnn said:

Also oh wonder... icons that show are GLUED to HP bar forcing me to rearrange my HUD for that 1 random travel type that I do not even use often because if I do.. well it's all packed into other things now....

having a blast with the sailing changes..

This is a good point too, what other clickable toggles/buttons system is forcibly attached to another unrelated one? So movement keys are changed to non movement actions with no option to change, and random actions buttons attach themselves to the HP bar? :(

On 12/20/2019 at 4:28 PM, Evening said:

There is a status bar below the health bar, it could/should be used to click once on the desired sailing mode, so it switches to that, without the need to press a key multiple times.

This is the way it now works.

Yes, the delay could be adjusted. Yes, the controls could be altered. I don't think the benefit would outweigh the cost for either change. With a little practice, the sailing controls are perfectly fine.

6 hours ago, Sheffie said:

This is the way it now works.

Yes, the delay could be adjusted. Yes, the controls could be altered. I don't think the benefit would outweigh the cost for either change. With a little practice, the sailing controls are perfectly fine.

Considering the thread is 3 years old and meantime adjustements have been made, adding what was requested, I'd say is fine now, for how sailing works nowadays.