Sign in to follow this  
Schiann

Add feathers to arrow recipe; increase feather yield

That's it, really. 

Add feathers to the recipe for making arrows.  If you ask a non-player or a newbie what materials they think would be required to make arrows, you'll surely get "feathers" included in their list. So, it makes sense that they would use feathers now that we have them available as a crafting material.

Perhaps balance the fewer sources of feathers by requiring 1/4 the weight of a feather for 1 arrow, and/or increasing yield from birds.

Edited by Schiann
  • Like 4

I'm sorry, but I do not agree with this idea, that would have us having to hunt for hens and roosters and pheasants, not all of us enjoy killing them, on top of them being hard to spot and having to spawn way more than now, removing much more useful animal spawns.

And no, it doesn't really matter what new players know from other games; them, us, I are here to play Wurm, not ..whatever game where feathers are needed, none comes to my mind.

• Like 2

I do not mind.. kfc.. but.. making arrows is boring as it is... making it cost more materials, and to farm feathers.. or add ropes/bits and such... to creation.. than it only makes sense to add some of that to improvement actions.. etc etc... did I write something  in bold earlier..
Prepare better fletching 2.0 before introducing anti-ql ideas... 😐

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Evening said:

I'm sorry, but I do not agree with this idea, that would have us having to hunt for hens and roosters and pheasants, not all of us enjoy killing them, on top of them being hard to spot and having to spawn way more than now, removing much more useful animal spawns.

I would argue that by making feathers more useful, pheasants and chickens become (at least slightly) more useful animal spawns. As they are now, they are taking up creature spawns without being terribly useful beyond the few feathers one might need for fishing, and a tiny bit of meat. In my head, I imagine keeping a few hens in a coop for harvesting feathers. Although, to be fair, I've already got stacks of feathers just from killing the occasional pheasant I pass.

1 hour ago, Evening said:

And no, it doesn't really matter what new players know from other games; them, us, I are here to play Wurm, not ..whatever game where feathers are needed, none comes to my mind.

While I get what you mean, there is something to be said for making things as intuitive as possible. I didn't mean "Wurm should do it like X other game"; like I said, it's something even non-gamers would consider as part of an arrow.  I understand not wanting to make an item more complicated or material intensive, but I think just the concept of familiarity is important.

That said, as a hunter, I certainly relate to the concern about the effects on creature spawns; that was why I tempered the suggestion with increased yield and the use of little feather material.

56 minutes ago, Finnn said:

making arrows is boring as it is...

I also understand that arrows are boring to make, but I guess with the crafting screen now, I never thought about that part as being a real issue. 

Thanks for the feedback, guys!

• Like 1

I could see this being quite cool if arrow creation was a better system than creation and imping each arrow. Removing the creation ql issues and having an extra part to improve the QL would be cool, as would the ability to imp a stack at once. 

I think this is an instance of an idea being good, but the foundation of the system makes it difficult, perhaps adjusting the foundation would prove better. 

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

I could see this being quite cool if arrow creation was a better system than creation and imping each arrow. Removing the creation ql issues and having an extra part to improve the QL would be cool, as would the ability to imp a stack at once

I think this is an instance of an idea being good, but the foundation of the system makes it difficult, perhaps adjusting the foundation would prove better. 

nope... another item to use and work with... I'd rather not grind ropemaking and use bow string on arrows... or rope thread bits...

I'm usure how this will affect the arrow making business.. as if ql of parts affects end/creation/ ql of the arrows..
it kills the point to improve such... (only useful for skill grind)

I am DEFINITELY NOT A FAN of collecting feathers, rope/threads of any kind/ and use such to improve arrows later... seems like a downgrade.. 'fishing'-fun content.. I mean.. un-fun..

I see nothing fun in archery at all.. with the improvement and creation of hundreds of arrows... but that's just me..... done right.. it's really easy thing to do..., it's just not for me.

My advice is... if devs want to adopt this... ask for opinions before breaking archery, some will be really pissed about it.

makes no sense; witchcraft?

So currently arrows are capped by the creation ql being skill / 5

Removing that cap would allow creation ql to vary wildly, with skill and ql of parts playing an important role. 

This would mean that high quality parts would create high quality arrows from the start as opposed to each arrow being under 20 ql and needing to be imped individually. Adding feathers to this would be another part that can boost the ql. 

It's actually a long requested idea. 

• Like 1

Maybe feathers could be found in a coop or whilst foraging near a coop.

Anyone who has ever kept chickens will tell you how many feathers get blown around.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Removing that cap would allow creation ql to vary wildly, with skill and ql of parts playing an important role. 

This would mean that high quality parts would create high quality arrows from the start as opposed to each arrow being under 20 ql and needing to be imped individually. Adding feathers to this would be another part that can boost the ql. 

Do not make the arrow crafting another cooking or fishing.. PvP might be dead, but its still there and if you make that another chore it doesnt help anyone. 

I have made tons of hunting and war arrows without problem and improved them to 40-80QL. I can agree of removing the cap for example or letting us improve a quiver full all at once helps a lot. MAKE IT OPTIONAL, DO NOT FORCE IT TO EVERYONE. 

This is Wurm, not some random MMO adventure game and what a new player thinks about how to craft an arrow is the least of his problems. Its not like he will ever hit anything with it anyways. 90 Archery and 70-80 bow skill and you miss from 2 meters away, imagine new players struggle. 

If we follow that idea on everything on wurm, that everything so literal, then correct the material use on every item that is out there and lets see how tiresome it gets with this RNG. 

Edited by Themystrix

5 minutes ago, Themystrix said:

I have made tons of hunting and war arrows without problem and improved them to 40-80QL. I can agree of removing the cap for example or letting us improve a quiver full all at once helps a lot. MAKE IT OPTIONAL, DO NOT FORCE IT TO EVERYONE. 

Make it faster but only optionally? 

1 hour ago, Retrograde said:

Make it faster but only optionally? 

Lets explain the obvious. :)

If the only option is to improve as bulk, we lose the skill grinding. Or let us improve quiver full all at once but give us same exact skill gain as we would get 1 by 1 from 41, so 41 all at once, means ticks should be 41 times larger. Right? I know i am hard guy to understand time to time, but, try to think every aspect how it affects the gameplay before you do a mess of things. 

I like the idea of using feathers in arrows. I'd suggest a 3rd recipe. 'Marksmen's Arrow' You get the idea.

• Like 1

From the very first few days in the game I've wondered (as someone who has greatly enjoyed bow hunting and archery in general in the past), why the heck aren't feathers needed for arrows??? Then I was introduced to the concept of Wogic- something I've learned not to question except occasionally here on the suggestion boards.

+1 to feathers being needed for arrows.  Make the yield from fowl higher, have feathers be dropped by chickens being tended in coops, and make them available through foraging.  There is no way arrows should be easy to mass produce, especially during the era Wurm reflects.  Proper fetching material has always been crucial.  Let good fletching material (higher ql feathers) factor into yielding higher ql arrows on creation.

• Like 1

On 12/21/2019 at 1:53 AM, Retrograde said:

But what about skill gain? Its cool for those who have 70+ fletching already, but feel sorry for noobs, that will be forced to grind it "by creation" only that gives no skill gains.. I would support this idea only in one way. that is making a quiver,  that has 41 uses or so. and shot arrows count as quiver QL. making "quiver of arrows" could use fleching skill and could include some shafts, heads, feathers etc. Then you improve the quiver to desired QL and have your 41 shot. After that quiver disappears. and you have to create a new one. This would kill 2 rabbits with one shot. Will add those feathers into creation as some want and would greatly improve QOL and other chores where you have to pick up all missed/shot arrows back into inventory, repair them etc as if you dont you have to create/improve another 50 items to have a quiver...

I'm going to -1 this, with the exception that if a third arrow type was to be introduced into the game that did require feathers, it would allow the current system to remain in place.  I dunno, call them marksman arrows or something, but leave the current system as it is.

• Like 3

'Marksmen arrows' could have increased range and/or accuracy while taking more damage.

Anyone who's repaired arrows IRL knows that the vanes get damaged way more often. 

• Like 1

On 4/17/2020 at 7:40 PM, Wargasm said:

I'm going to -1 this, with the exception that if a third arrow type was to be introduced into the game that did require feathers, it would allow the current system to remain in place.  I dunno, call them marksman arrows or something, but leave the current system as it is.

I spent many hours grind on fletching, bow making and archery. Felt like a complete waste of time. I would unload an entire quiver and not be able to take out a monster. 

+1 for starting the discussion and +1 for creating a third arrow type that would be more accurate/deadly 

On 1/12/2021 at 8:50 AM, bigtree said:

'Marksmen arrows' could have increased range and/or accuracy while taking more damage.

Anyone who's repaired arrows IRL knows that the vanes get damaged way more often. 

I like this idea, a new type of arrow, feathers as a creation ingredient, but not an improvement required tool.

Making all arrows require a new step would be bad.

As one of the original 'Master Fletcher' of Wurm, I thought it would be nice to chime in.

Yes to needing feathers - makers of arrows are called fletchers because what differentiated an arrow from a stick with a point is that it was fletched, i.e. with feathers.  The feathers are called fletching  - in other words they are the making of the the arrow.  

I will take this as a chance to again suggest fletching jigs.  For creation, add the feathers in 3 actions per arrow, unless using a fletching jig, where it would be one action.  "Hand made" (i.e. no jig) creation QL would be affected by materials and skill, but variable - you would get top QL from hand made, but also a bit more variable QL and a slower make. Using a jig (if we had such a thing) would be quicker and less variable - you wouldn't get the absolute top QL but instead a consistent QL.  The hand made would have a higher range, but also a wider range, while mass produced would be much faster with a more reliable QL of output.

Edited by TheTrickster
clarify fletch=arrow
  • Like 1

I wouldnt mind doing this, but that would take more efforts, gotta kill something that has feathers :( But you cant grow them, might find some on dead birds, etc. Believe it or now, they can be hard to come by even in real life situations back in those days.

What i want the most beside this, is those quivers showing arrows in it, when you have arrows. It look like a scroll case on my hip or back, wasnt happy with that.

10 minutes ago, Wildelf said:

quivers showing arrows

Yes, many containers change their model when filled. This would be a great improvement!

17 hours ago, Wildelf said:

I wouldnt mind doing this, but that would take more efforts, gotta kill something that has feathers :( But you cant grow them, might find some on dead birds, etc. Believe it or now, they can be hard to come by even in real life situations back in those days.

What i want the most beside this, is those quivers showing arrows in it, when you have arrows. It look like a scroll case on my hip or back, wasnt happy with that.

Should be foraging related as well. In RL you can find a ton of feathers in forests and grasslands just by walking around. Not all of them would be viable , but for game balancing purposes finding birdsnests should be a starting point.

You can add a new action to it.

Bind X key "Forage_for_feathers" . Pretty easy to implement.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, elentari said:

Should be foraging related as well. In RL you can find a ton of feathers in forests and grasslands just by walking around. Not all of them would be viable , but for game balancing purposes finding birdsnests should be a starting point.

You can add a new action to it.

Bind X key "Forage_for_feathers" . Pretty easy to implement.

Yeah if you are lucky, i found some feathers laying around on the ground, but not very many unless a bird or birds were attacked by a predator.