Sign in to follow this  
neopherus

[Resolved] Using onboard GPU

Hi!

As my graphics card fried yesterday, I've been trying to figure out how to fix it. After 24 hours I conceded that my GTX760 has moved on(RIP). Not even reverting the OS back to last week helped!

Now, I'm wondering if there is any way to use a potential onboard GPU to play Wurm? Every time I log on, the game looks for my fried card, and I bsod in a matter of seconds.

After checking the options in the client-options I fear the worst, but can't hurt to ask, right?

unplug your video?

or.. disable it from bios?(1 or both of these actions should fix the bsod from using the faulty device; from there you should have only the internal as vga and game's only way to start.. if you can play on that internal video.. is ANOTHER MYSTERY for you to find out)

sadly.. before starting the game... there's no launcher profile option to check or select what video is to be used.. either your nvidia control center or w/e it's called still have it set as default gaming video or it's windows setting causing the game to try to use it.. whenever you start it.. instead of using the one that currently have a monitor attached to it(internal video's port)..

I'd remove video drivers of gtx760 and install new ones.. and try some benchmark... if device shows up to be working normally in device manager... if not.. just disable/unplug/sell/toss.. up to you. It's probably worth a few 'cents' on ebay or other... for it's parts.. for 1 or another reason.. If you can't or don't want to spend much on a new video... plenty of hardware forums or 2nd hand sites, better known in whatever country you're at... should have quite cheap video card offers... left from crypto mining.. as it's a lot less profitable to do now.. and owners want to get rid of them.

On 12/19/2019 at 10:40 AM, neopherus said:

a potential onboard GPU

Not all computers have both onboard/integrated, and gaming/dedicated.

Is this a desktop or a laptop?

IF IT IS A DESKTOP:

1)   the GTX760 videocard ideally should be physically removed from the computer. If you are not sure you can do this, don't worry just just go to step 2 and switch the cable input and that may be good enough

2) have you switched the monitor cable from dedicated card to onboard? Looks like this for cable connections. the 'motherboard connection is the onboard graphics. 

Usually GTX760 suggests a desktop so I am going to assume this to start. If this is a desktop, and you can get into windows after the above are done, then yes you do have onboard video.  

If this is a desktop, then your issue likely is ancient video drivers. You probably either have AMD graphics baked into the CPU (aka AMD-APU, such as an A-8 series), or Intel graphics (some are in the cpu, some are on the motherboard). 

DO NOT USE WINDOWS UPDATE FOR THE DRIVERS

Instead go to the appropriate link here:

INTEL: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/products/80939/graphics-drivers.html
ATI/AMD: https://www.amd.com/en/support

If you are not sure of the specific graphics you have, there should be an option to let it autoidentify and autoinstall the correct driver.  

IF YOU HAVE A LAPTOP 

things get a little trickier. It is actually a GTX760M card, I think. You do NOT want to physically open the laptop case or touch the defunct card.

It will help a lot if we know the specific laptop model as each one does this a little different. Sometimes it is listed on the outside of the computer. Depending on your operating system, it my be listed under Computer>Properties. Sometimes you can get it from doing a DXDIAG report. 

There should be an option in either the bootup BIOS  (sometimes ESC/F2 at bootup, every model is different) or in the graphics Control Panel to use only the onboard (integrated) graphics.  Ideally, if the GTX760M is dead, I would suggest finding a way in BIOS to always use the onboard integrated.

Knowing the exact laptop model, we can better help tell you how to do this. 

You can also go to Control Panel > Device manager > Display Adapters

Does it list two cards? If so, simply right click and DISABLE the GTX760M.

Do not do this if it does NOT show a SECONDARY integrated graphics, usually an ATI/AMD baked into the CPU, or an intel chipset.

If there are two chipsets listed, integrated AND dedicated (gtx760M), you probably also need updated graphics drivers for it, see the links above and do not let windows update/device manager 'choose the best driver for you' as they will likely pick one that does not work for OpenGL games such as Wurm. 

Under 3D settings on the graphics control panel,  you might also be able to tell it to ONLY use the integrated (onboard) card and never use the dedicated (GTX760), either GLOBALLY or for a specific PROGRAM (Wurm / Java).

You can also try switching the computer in power options from High Performance to Battery Saving Mode although that is less reliable. 

usually High Performance tells it to use the more powerful dedicated gaming card, and Power Saving mode tells it to use the weaker integrated.

This may not work, but it is worth a try if nothing else seems to work.

You might also be able to go to WURM directory, rename the folder CONFIGS (maybe to configsXXXX) , and it will rebuold the folder and reset all settings to a generic default. This will also mess up keybindings etc.

I would probably do this in conjunction to disabling the GTX760M in device manager presuming it DOES list a secondary graphics controller (usually intel or AMD/ATI)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Again, not all computers have BOTH integrated plus dedicated graphics.Since you say "potential" onboard, I gather you really have no idea whether one exists. Laptops will usually have an onboard for low power mode, and are a little fussier to switch from one to the other. Usually easiest way to be sure that you have both, is going to Device Manager and checking DISPLAY ADAPTERS. Sometimes-but-not-always, right click and DISABLE on the GTX760M will force it to use any present integrated graphics, but if no alternate graphics are listed,  and if on desktop computer there is no secondary monitor connection like this image,   you might not even have an integrated graphics.

Updating-display-adapter-drivers.jpg

desktop only:

monitor-connections.jpg.webp

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

Spoiler

Is this a desktop or a laptop?

IF IT IS A DESKTOP:

1)   the GTX760 videocard should be physically removed from the computer. If you are not sure you can do this, don;t worry just just go to step 2 and switch the cable input and that may be good enough

2) have you switched the monitor cable from dedicated card to onboard? Looks like this for cable connections. the 'motherboard connection is the onboard graphics. 

Usually GTX760 suggests a desktop so I am going to assume this to start. If this is a desktop, and you can get into windows after the above are done, then yes you do have onboard video.  

If this is a desktop, then your issue likely is ancient video drivers. You probably either have ATI graphics baked into the CPU, or Intel graphics. 

DO NOT USE WINDOWS UPDATE FOR THE DRIVERS

Instead go to the appropriate link here:

INTEL: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/products/80939/graphics-drivers.html
ATI/AMD: https://www.amd.com/en/support

If you are not sure of the specific graphics you have, there should be an option to let it autoidentify and autoinstall the correct driver.  

IF YOU HAVE A LAPTOP 

things get a little trickier. It is actually a GTX760M card, I think. You do NOT want to physically open the laptop case or touch the defunct card.

It will help a lot if we know the specific laptop model as each one does this a little different. Sometimes it is listed on the outside of the computer. Depending on your operating system, it my be listed under Computer>Properties. Sometimes you can get it from doing a DXDIAG report. 

There should be an option in either the bootup BIOS  (sometimes ESC/F2 at bootup, every model is different) or in the graphics Control Panel to use only the onboard (integrated) graphics.  Ideally, if the GTX760M is dead, I would suggest finding a way in BIOS to always use the onboard integrated.

Knowing the exact laptop model, we can better help tell you how to do this. 

You can also go to Control Panel > Device manager > Display Adapters

Does it list two cards? If so, simply right click and DISABLE the GTX760M.

Do not do this if it does NOT show a SECONDARY integrated graphics, usually an ATI/AMD baked into the CPU, or an intel chipset.

If there are two chipsets listed, integrated AND dedicated (gtx760M), you probably also need updated graphics drivers for it, see the links above and do not let windows update/device manager 'choose the best driver for you' as they will likely pick one that does not work for OpenGL games such as Wurm. 

Under 3D settings on the graphics control panel,  you might also be able to tell it to ONLY use the integrated (onboard) card and never use the dedicated (GTX760), either GLOBALLY or for a specific PROGRAM (Wurm / Java).

You can also try switching the computer in power options from High Performance to Battery Saving Mode although that is less reliable. 

usually High Performance tells it to use the more powerful dedicated gaming card, and Power Saving mode tells it to use the weaker integrated.

This may not work, but it is worth a try if nothing else seems to work.

You might also be able to go to WURM directory, rename the folder CONFIGS (maybe to configsXXXX) , and it will rebuold the folder and reset all settings to a generic default. This will also mess up keybindings etc.

I would probably do this in conjunction to disabling the GTX760M in device manager presuming it DOES list a secondary graphics controller (usually intel or AMD/ATI)

Thank you for an amazingly in depth reply! It is indeed a desktop.

I will futz around a bit more, but I have already ordered a new graphics card. All previous troubleshooting(rollbacks, driverupdates etc.) has indicated my card is fried. Drivers also throw back errors in task manager, no matter what I do.

I have deactivated the card and I still manage to use my PC - but trying to log on to Wurm immediately crashes the client, so basically I've given up until my new card arrives over christmas. Luckily I won't be home, but visiting my parents for this time  

So it could be worse, I guess!

Anywho, thanks again, both of you :) 

Edited by neopherus

If you have "deactivated" the card, but not switched the monitor cables (or no 'motherboard' onboard video outlet exists as in picture), you are still using the GTX760 but in VGA mode and likely few games will work, probably also the monitor resolution may seem messed up. Just wait for the new card, then. You should still be able to browser the internet, watch youtube, and chat in forums, unless the card continues to deteriorate. It's not completely fried or you would have no video at all. Rollbacks and driver updates don;t always confirm 'the card is fried" -- if it gives any picture at all, it may be damaged but it is not "dead". Also, make sure you are not currently running in SAFEMODE (you probably have no sound either if you were in safemode)

Some desktops simply have no onboard video, this most often happens in highend custom built gaming computers, and less often in chainbrand systems (dell, HP, etc). if that is the issue, there is no "motherboard" outlet on the back of the computer, your only option is to wait for the new card.   If there -is- onboard, you MUST switch the monitor cables in the back or you are still using the 'deactivated" GTX760, simply in VGA mode (which won't run the game). You may still need to futz with drivers for the onboard, as nvidia drivers won't work for this.   Sometimes you ALSO need to go into BIOS at bootup and tell it to use the integrated video and not the dedicated card. Again, knowing the exact motherboard model will help as i can maybe give pictures, every motherboard BIOS does this a little differently. DXDIAG report will sometimes give this information on the motherboard, or a free utility such as CPU-Z (look for a model number on MAINBOARD tab).

Do you have someone to help you install the new videocard when it arrives after christmas? While a new videocard is not THAT hard to install, and is one of the easier upgrade options to do yourself, its not always as easy as some hardware enthusiasts suggest. 

Especially if this is an OLDER motherboard, it may require a BIOS UPDATE before it will even recognize a newer model card   (another GTX760 should not be a problem).   I ran into this recently trying to upgrade videocards in my daughters' older gaming machines -- they were just old enough that they would not recognize any "modern" card at all (modern being anything newer than a Geforce 700 series) , which sometimes a BIOS flash will fix, but sometimes there are no recent bios flashes for older motherboards. In which case, you get the new videocard, install it, and BINGO no graphics at all.  In which case your ONLY option may be an older card, or a newer motherboard -- and a new motherboard opens up an entire host of potential issues (do you have the right cpu slot? The right DDR memory types?)   BIOS upgrades on their own are not that hard BUT they are 'dangerous' in that if you interrupt the procedure for any reason during the update, or select the "wrong" bios, you can brick the entire motherboard. 

Not meant to scare you ^_^ Often a new videocard is a super easy procedure, almost as easy as adding more ram. 

If you have a somewhat geeky friend/neighbor/relative to assist if needed, they should be able to help. Just be aware it is not always as simple as some claim, especially if you are "mixing" different generations of hardware, ie older computer with a newer graphics card.

ps:

sometimes also a more highend card such as the GTX760 has an additonal power connection  to the card, inside the case. Not on the outside.  If this additional power connection worked loose somehow, it could also explain why the card seems to 'work' (you can get into windows/browser/youtube) yet be unable to play most games (bluescreen).   You might want a friend to help with this, you are looking for a connection like below, and want to unplug then replug in the cables to make sure they are properly "seated" It really helps to know the exact model/brand of the videocard (usually something a little more complicated than 'gtx760') to understand what specific power connections are needed (6 pin? 8 pin?) If you are curious to learn more, read here

gpu-install-7-of-7-100580857-large.jpg

This is especially an issue if the computer was recently moved around a lot, as that can jiggle cables a little loose from their fittings. Again, something a geeky friend/neighbor/relative can assist with.

Another possibility also could be that the card is not getting enough power from a failing PSU, and is BSOD'ing any time the graphics card tries to make a higher power draw. This can also happen if you added the GTX760 later, and your original PSU could just barely handle the power demands of the card -- over time the PSU starts to wear out. But eventually even the best PSU can wear out. A cheap or underpowered one simply wears out faster, especially if paired with a high powered card.  If the GTX760 is disabled in device manager, but the monitor  still plugs into it in the back end of the computer, it is not really "deactivated" -- it is simply running in a less demanding VGA mode which uses very little power. If the monitor cables in the back have never changed at all, chances are the GTX760 is not completely  'dead'/fried' as there are a few other issues that can cause a BSOD, such as power issues (loose cable, loose card, failing PSU).    Or it could indeed be a problem in the card (failing video VRAM memory, failing fans, other)

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

Thanks again @Brash_Endeavors! I missed the ninja-edit until today. I am now home again, graphics card is replaced and it was indeed the 760s fault. I did use your guides when giving my pc's internals a once-over and everything seems fine inside (bar a little dusty - now a little less).

PSU is a 650W btw and it came with the rest of the PC when I bought it.

Been on with my priest for 10 minutes at high settings, so I guess this thread has served its purpose! 😃

Edited by neopherus
  • Like 1