Sign in to follow this  
Cipacadrinho

The dreaded rename character!

8 hours ago, Wilczan said:

hover over new name you gonna see old name

This don't work well. I've seen it in another game. that decided to change so ppl could change their names. Does not work well. Any name changing function leads to chaos and confusion. I'm not a fan, don't like it. I can probably come up w/ some rare example where it would seem to be a good idea in that one instance to allow a name change... but why muck up all of Wurm for that one.

I would support it if, when u purchased a new account from somebody, at that exchange, they be able to change the toon name. That would only make sense. Unless, of course, you knew, when you purchased the account, if you already knew you would be stuck w/ that name. In that case, no need to allow name changing. It also makes sense to allow cap letters in player names- for cosmetic stuffs. I could be TeeeBOMB, sure.

But over all - no, lets not mess up all the cool things associated w/ names in Wurm, because someone made a toon name and played on it for 10 years, and now decided they want some other name.

3 hours ago, Madnath said:

Yes let me bin off my skills purely because I gave myself a crap name years ago

You have an awesome name? Madnath? You don't like that?

We have a really cool thing here in Wurm. This name security rocks. It is an awesome thing.

Well, I'm just me. if nobody else agrees w/ me then its just me then. No matter how strongly I feel about giving away name security in Wurm, it's still just me.

If it's just me. I hope its not just me.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TeeeBOMB said:

If it's just me. I hope its not just me.

I think it's just you because that's a woefully poor take to have in a game. 

Name changes have been a thing in games since time immemorial, and the entire mmo ecosystem hasn't collapsed. 

I suggest you take a few moments to have a think about why someone would want to change their name, and come up with some examples, because I guarantee you, once you think of some reasons, you'll understand why your take was bad. 

• Like 2
  • Cat 1

3 hours ago, Archaed said:

I think it's just you because that's a woefully poor take to have in a game.

I have noticed, name changing is generally supported by the game keepers. I hate it. I like name security. Name security is one of the nicer things about Wurm. *shrugs*

2 hours ago, TeeeBOMB said:

I have noticed, name changing is generally supported by the game keepers. I hate it. I like name security. Name security is one of the nicer things about Wurm. *shrugs*

No it's not. You have this backwards. People used to sell and buy characters all the time, the game NEVER had name security. You can also share your account (within reason) so ANYONE logging into your friendslist could be ANYONE

Name changes allow people to change their names to match them, their characters, or anything else. This game has been around for almost 20 years, and people change throughout that time, some may no longer use the same cringey handles they used before, others may evolve if their life changes, others may no longer identify with the name as they've transitioned IRL, there's a huge number of reasons and they're all personal and valid. 

Stop thinking through a narrow world view of things being the same, because just like the people who play it, this game is in a constant state of change

• Like 5
  • Cat 2

Right click->View name history->Shows a list of names and dates when changed to.  Make it hotkeyable for the paranoid.

Keeps the "name security" people want, but also lets people change names as needed.

The ONLY issue I have is from a technical point - how will logins be handled as they use username?

Player A could have played character NastyMcNasterson, and then created character NiceyMcNiceGuy.

You have no way of knowing that they are the same person.

There's no "name security" in this case.

Player A could have played a character QueenOfAwesome, and sold it to player B, before the RMT ban.

You have no way of knowing that they are no longer the same person.

Player A could play character MrPopular, and share the login info with player B.

You have no way of knowing who is playing MrPopular.

Renaming a character is a lot like getting a faith swap or a meditation path change: instead of doing it the slow way (by making a new character, or dropping your faith / med path), you're paying a premium in order to get a head start.

I want to restate and emphasize this. Even when renaming a character is not possible. a player can achieve the same result by creating a new character.

So, by all means let players change names — assuming the technical questions can all be resolved — but make it a premium service.

• Like 2
  • Cat 2

8 hours ago, Archaed said:

Stop thinking through a narrow world view

lol. No thanks.

Name security means, I guess, different things to different people. If I got an Archaed made item - then that means Archaed made it. No question on that at all. Unless Archaed becomes 'Sam' and some other toon decides to take on the name 'Archaed'. In that case my Archaed made item could have been made by anyone, and has lost value. I find it silly that I got to explain this. So, I may be misunderstanding something. Sorry if that's the case.

Name security means, if I find an old toon been around for ages, then I may think.. omg this guy got to be trustworthy - so much history. But then I later discover his name was 'I rip people off regularly any way I can sneak it through the rules' just last week. Name security is out the window.

Name security means, stuff like I find an old deed area was founded by Gurubear - then later I meet Gurubear - WOW , hey I know you from someplace - guess what? It was the same Gurubear - unless someone recently changed their name to 'Gurubear'.

Name security means like if I meet someone, I vaguely recall them from before, I can search my log files. Anything w/ that toon name in my log files, was that toon, no matter what - unless, of course, this person got a wild hair and had just recently changed their name.

Even ppl on my friends list, they change their name and - BAM - suddenly I can never find any of our previous conversations or encounters in my log files. Even renamed screenshots that I may have on hand won't help, since they would have the old player name on them.

Archaed, you really need to understand what a great and awesome thing name security is, and not be constantly trying to make Wurm into other, lesser, games. Just because other games do things, does not mean Wurm has to do them too.

I heard about Wurm, thot that sounded interesting. When I got here, I liked it. Liked it a lot. Name security (as I understand it) is one main thing I have come to depend on in Wurm. A very awesome aspect of Wurm.

Sure, you can systematically go through all the cool things, that make Wurm stand out as different, and try to make Wurm into something more like other games. Just, I like Wurm, so far as name security goes, just the way it is.

But peace, we are on the same team, lol. We both like Wurm.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TeeeBOMB said:

lol. No thanks.

Name security means, I guess, different things to different people. If I got an Archaed made item - then that means Archaed made it. No question on that at all. Unless Archaed becomes 'Sam' and some other toon decides to take on the name 'Archaed'. In that case my Archaed made item could have been made by anyone, and has lost value. I find it silly that I got to explain this. So, I may be misunderstanding something. Sorry if that's the case.

Name security means, if I find an old toon been around for ages, then I may think.. omg this guy got to be trustworthy - so much history. But then I later discover his name was 'I rip people off regularly any way I can sneak it through the rules' just last week. Name security is out the window.

Name security means, stuff like I find an old deed area was founded by Gurubear - then later I meet Gurubear - WOW , hey I know you from someplace - guess what? It was the same Gurubear - unless someone recently changed their name to 'Gurubear'.

Name security means like if I meet someone, I vaguely recall them from before, I can search my log files. Anything w/ that toon name in my log files, was that toon, no matter what - unless, of course, this person got a wild hair and had just recently changed their name.

Even ppl on my friends list, they change their name and - BAM - suddenly I can never find any of our previous conversations or encounters in my log files. Even renamed screenshots that I may have on hand won't help, since they would have the old player name on them.

Archaed, you really need to understand what a great and awesome thing name security is, and not be constantly trying to make Wurm into other, lesser, games. Just because other games do things, does not mean Wurm has to do them too.

I heard about Wurm, thot that sounded interesting. When I got here, I liked it. Liked it a lot. Name security (as I understand it) is one main thing I have come to depend on in Wurm. A very awesome aspect of Wurm.

Sure, you can systematically go through all the cool things, that make Wurm stand out as different, and try to make Wurm into something more like other games. Just, I like Wurm, so far as name security goes, just the way it is.

But peace, we are on the same team, lol. We both like Wurm.

As far as I can tell, more or less every point in the above point about the sanctity of "name security" in Wurm is debunked by Sheffie's post:

3 hours ago, Sheffie said:

Player A could have played character NastyMcNasterson, and then created character NiceyMcNiceGuy.

You have no way of knowing that they are the same person.

Player A could have played a character QueenOfAwesome, and sold it to player B, before the RMT ban.

You have no way of knowing that they are no longer the same person.

Player A could play character MrPopular, and share the login info with player B.

You have no way of knowing who is playing MrPopular.

Renaming a character is a lot like getting a faith swap or a meditation path change: instead of doing it the slow way (by making a new character, or dropping your faith / med path), you're paying a premium in order to get a head start.

I want to restate and emphasize this. Even when renaming a character is not possible. a player can achieve the same result by creating a new character.

So, by all means let players change names — assuming the technical questions can all be resolved — but make it a premium service.

Name security in Wurm is a myth, given that account trading was a thing until very recently and anyone can make a new account (or share their account) right now.

It would seem really odd to withhold name changes from players who really want it because of a few arguments that don't make sense.

• Cat 1

3 minutes ago, Docterchese said:

Name security in Wurm is a myth,

Ok, if you say so.

All the points I made, if you read them, point to what you can know from history w/ name security as I have described it. Trying to take my phrase 'name security' and apply it to other things is sort of straw man here, right?

Of course if someone is account sharing, then I may be chatting w/ a different keyboard thumper, sure. But that is sort of against the rules, as I read them, w/ a few exceptions. The truth remains, any conversations I've had w/ a toon, as represented in my log files, did happen w/ that toon. No matter who the keyboard thumper is. Unless that toon recently changed their name.

Of course if someone creates some other toon, then (normally) there is no way for ur average user to know if that new account is some other keyboard thumper you are already familiar with. None the less, all the facts of all previous encounters w/ that keyboard thumper, remains on my computer log files and screenshots. Just like I already posted above.

I have run into accounts that have been sold. Way back in days of yore (a year or two in Wurm is a looong time, for most players), when we were permitted to sell accounts. This usually gets worked out fairly quickly in discussion. Has never been a problem w/ me. Facts of the name on the toon matches my log files either way. Which is what I already posted.

I feel silly pointing out the obvious here. Name security is just related to toon names. We are/were talking bout changing toon names here I thot? Not about account swapping or creating new accounts, or even trading accounts (Which can probably still happen, even tho it is against the rules). The way names work now in Wurm - we have the name security as I've already outlined above. And that rocks. I would hate to see it devalued *shrugs* so I post.

Peace to you Docterchese, I think we two are also on the same team here, and I hope we don't loose sight of that.

What I understand from TeeeBOMB is the idea that no player ought to be able to take over a name that has previously been used by another character. And I basically agree. I wouldn't like players to be able to do that either.

There are (at least) two complications.

1. Players could buy and sell accounts before Real Money Trading was prohibited, so in a very real sense the old name is being used by a new player.
  2. A character that hasn't been premium will be deleted after 90 days of inactivity, and as has been discussed already, a new character with that name can be confused with the old one — not only by players but by the game code itself.

Bearing these caveats in mind, I think there's no reason why the game couldn't allow character renaming with the condition that previously used names cannot be re-used.

Again, it's important for this to have costs and limits, so that the ability to change names is only used when it needs to be.

And it's important for a player to be able to query a name and see if that same character was "formerly known as" something else.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Etherdrifter said:

The ONLY issue I have is from a technical point - how will logins be handled as they use username?

It is simple the SAME way it is done now when a gm forces you to rename yourself by typing in the new name into the login field check my previous posts for more details on these things as to why and how but really our username could have been our emails but we can change our emails already with an ingame command so that wouldnt have made sense as a login identifier.

• Like 1

Name changes is currently existing and all handled by the GMs right?

Due to the offensive names that may disturb others. So this kind of renaming create a more delightful environment to others.

Now, we are talking about the non-offensive names that want to be changed.

How can this suggestion create a more delightful enjoyment to others?

Yes, if people rename their name shorter(not longer) to make the name easier to type while mailing said by the OP.

On 12/19/2019 at 2:07 PM, Cipacadrinho said:

My reasoning is to get rid of a really long name that is also hard for people to spell when they want to mail me free stuff:0

Alright, i see ur reasons.

Then how can this suggestion create a more disturbing environment to others?
Can't find any of the previous conversations or encounter in the log files with the current name.

10 hours ago, TeeeBOMB said:

BAM - suddenly I can never find any of our previous conversations or encounters in my log files. Even renamed screenshots that I may have on hand won't help, since they would have the old player name on them.

Extra work to check the previous name, like hover the mouse on other players names, press more buttons/hotkeys e.g. CTRL+L/just L to examine.

Pretty much need to do this work especially on PVP servers when seeing unfamiliar names, also the new players, etc. U would want to know the top tier raiders have changed their name or not.

On 11/24/2020 at 6:21 PM, elentari said:

1. If a player talks in chat, private or otherwise, you should be able to do something like CTRL + L mouse on their name and see if their name was changed.

2. A player can also hover his mouse on another player and use "Examine name"  option from a distance to see their Identity. 

15 hours ago, Etherdrifter said:

Right click->View name history->Shows a list of names and dates when changed to.  Make it hotkeyable for the paranoid.

• Like 1

Don't think that "i don't wanna someone else change their name so i keep in track to who i am supposed to be passive aggressive to" is a good reason not to have the name change

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tor said:

"i don't wanna someone else change their name so i keep in track to who i am supposed to be passive aggressive to" is a good reason

Unless you think it is a good reason.

On 11/29/2022 at 4:01 PM, wipeout said:

It is simple the SAME way it is done now when a gm forces you to rename yourself by typing in the new name into the login field check my previous posts for more details on these things as to why and how but really our username could have been our emails but we can change our emails already with an ingame command so that wouldnt have made sense as a login identifier.

Literally this, Other mmo's had it so name changes were processed during specified server maintenances, usually the longer monthly ones. Could literally run a script that updates the fields during updates. It's not a hassle at all. 

• Like 2

it's not a matter of is it possible.. and how it could be.. 

Question is.. does ccab want players to change their names?

Since reputation in wurm online is somewhat important for various reasons, and we lack any kind of account information dialogs, in case such renaming is allowed:

- how do we track who's who or was what before last 1 or 1000 changes?:

-- new /-Command?

-- only a right click-option in-person?

6 minutes ago, Finnn said:

it's not a matter of is it possible.. and how it could be.. 

Question is.. does ccab want players to change their names?

Since reputation in wurm online is somewhat important for various reasons, and we lack any kind of account information dialogs, in case such renaming is allowed:

- how do we track who's who or was what before last 1 or 1000 changes?:

-- new /-Command?

-- only a right click-option in-person?

By looking at the last 3 pages and seeing people's suggestions on how it could be implemented  we have seen a few different ways but people seem to gravitate towards a right click on name or hover over name to see previous name and with that i assume a window elsewhere that shows the last few renames

I just miss the long long names from cardboardboxprocessor and the likes they were fun to see sad we cant have those anymore

• Like 1

1 way to do it .. could be twitter message like server event...

but that still leaves tracking to 3rd party tools like nowdays it's wurmnode since niarja is no longer a thing(far from optimal)

WHAT ABOUT IGNORE LISTS?

name change lets some just evade filters, since names are not ignored by uid or w/e other than a name alone

WHAT ABOUT ROLES?

Roles are based on player name again

SAME WITH PERMISSION SYSTEM for constructions/vehicles/mounts

Edited by Finnn
  • Like 1

Bumping this topic because every time I have to look at my cursed, misspelt username, it gives me a bit of pain. When I started playing Wurm in 2011, this was the last time I ever used this username anywhere. It's really unfortunate that Wurm is unlike virtually any other MMO in that name changes aren't allowed, and I find it really frustrating that I'm stuck still using this username I made when I was a lot younger (and a lot worse at spelling...)

I agree that Wurm's community is special and your name matters, and there should be restrictions on name changes. A lot of good ones have been mentioned in this thread already, but it could be something like:

• Maximum number of name changes on any account (a limit of one time only could work)
  • Some fee to discourage abuse (hell, I would pay 100€ to change my in-game name on my main)
  • A clear way to tell when an account has had a name change, such as...
    • adding the previous name(s) on mouse over in chat tabs
    • adding an asterisk to renamed accounts in chat tabs (for just the first few months after a change, or longer... or permanently, even)
    • a client option that allows you to display the previous name(s) of any account always, without having to mouse over, for those that want it - such as in brackets next to the name. (would be useful to e.g. GMs or PvPers)
  • No name changes for accounts that have had cautions from the moderation/GM team. (This should be proportionate - minor offences shouldn't be punished with never being able to change your name, just a short ban on doing it.)
  • Some log of name changes, such as a file posted somewhere like the server log, allowing players or 3rd party tools to track name changes externally and transparently; or, even better, a permanent page somewhere hosted officially by Wurm.

I really think the above bullet points would go above and beyond to alleviate the concerns people may have with adding name changes. And I'd really love if it could be allowed - even if it's relatively restricted.

I think it's very fair to give players the choice about how they're represented and perceived in the game. Especially given that accounts were still traded until relatively recently, meaning many players didn't even pick their username at all; and especially given that it's not that uncommon for someone to outgrow a username they picked many years ago, since people often play Wurm for quite a long time.

• Like 1