Sign in to follow this  
Cipacadrinho

The dreaded rename character!

Hi!:)

With the new rename horse ability coming up in the loyality system i was wondering if a rename character one could be added aswell.

I know that character rename is not a technical issue but more of an ability to keep track of bad rep people and "special persons of interest" for some but with the new tools added that can track any item in game or skill gains i dont think it would be too much work to get a character name tracker too.

And make it so that when someone examines another person an extra line could be added that says: this character was formerly known as: [name 1][name 2]

You could even make it that is tracked/highlighted serverwide for a while too like you would track deeds formed and disbanded on niarja could have a message pop on the event and/or friends tab pop every time a toon logs in with a message: the folowing characters have been re-named this month: from x to y etc

If it would be too long of a message then just make it a stickied forum post and the in-game message would be just a link to it and if is on the forum people could use it to search for a toon's history in it before dealing in game.

We would all be lill fbi agents checking out the suspect in the database:)

I think people would really like it. My reasoning is to get rid of a really long name that is also hard for people to spell when they want to mail me free stuff:0

Others might want to do it because they bought toons and want to re-name them and have own stamp on them and others will want to escape bad rep i guess.

But with the message on examine and the forum post that would not be possible.

L.E. I would not mind making it a one time thing (similar to the one time free deity switch for the priests update) or having a cooldown too, as in make it cost 3x horse name but only be usable once a year.

Edited by Cipacadrinho
  • Like 7
  • Cat 1

I know there's always concerns about someone hiding who they are/were, there's been plenty of discussion about that and ways to address it. While we're not against the idea in some form, it won't be coming in with the loyalty system. 

• Like 3

Would love this as well, but the concerns of someone hiding their past username are valid. Perhaps take the approach runescape does, where the last username is displayed upon hovering over? 

On a similar topic, have name reservations been considered for the steam release?

• Cat 1

1 minute ago, Jore said:

Would love this as well, but the concerns of someone hiding their past username are valid. Perhaps take the approach runescape does, where the last username is displayed upon hovering over? 

On a similar topic, have name reservations been considered for the steam release?

Ultimately rolling a new character is ten times easier than any hassle with changing a name. 

And no, it's the same pool as the existing server

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Retrograde said:

I know there's always concerns about someone hiding who they are/were, there's been plenty of discussion about that and ways to address it. While we're not against the idea in some form, it won't be coming in with the loyalty system. 

For the future then, if is considered at any time, we could have a button on the in-game bar that we could click that once pressed could open a search window and type the name of any toon you want and have a name history for him pop up and if is too much hassle can just make a wurmpedia page with people renamed.

So i dont think it would be a huge hurdle technically but ofcourse would have to get the endorsement of atleast the GM team that would have to deal with the consequences of characters renamed the most.

So i say if the GM team is consulted on this and they have their suggestions and concerns weighted in i think we could have a glorious toon rename solution be put in by christmas!

Wetwo, you are a beautiful independent anime girl, please don't let anybody prevent you from making the loyalty system great again! ❤️

Edited by Cipacadrinho

1 hour ago, Retrograde said:

Well I could be the one and only TonyGreen who knows... Hiding on the internet is just a matter of ressources and time.

As long as it is expensive and can't be done daily I see renaming as a good thing.

• Like 1
  • Cat 1

1 hour ago, Cipacadrinho said:

So i say if the GM team is consulted on this and they have their suggestions and concerns weighted in i think we could have a glorious toon rename solution be put in by christmas!

Wetwo, you are a beautiful independent anime girl, please don't let anybody prevent you from making the loyalty system great again! ❤️

Yeah it's not happening like that

• Like 1

I got the perfect solution!:)

You make it cost 3x more marks than a horse name and have a 1 year cd if is succesfull.

The reason why i mentioned "if is succesfull" is because once the player will purchase the token upon doing the action to activate it,

A message will pop stating that the character name change is not guaranteed and is subject to GM review and after such review takes place a decision will be made as to whether they can change the toon name or not.

Also they could be presented with 3 text boxes to type the name they want to  change into and 2 alternatives in case the one they want is taken or offensive etc basicly if it does not meet the naming rules

And this way the GM team has full knowledge of who renamed char and can make the dicision they can do it or not by checking their history (rap sheet:) ) and if they have issues in the past they  can be denied but people with spotless records can get rename permission with no problem.

You might think: but we don't have the manpower for it.

Well you will launch steam servers you will need more GM's for that anyway hire some interns train them for that by making them do the grunt work.

Alternatively can update the skills modifying tool of the GM to include a rename of character option this way a GM can /t the person that got aproved and come and rename it themselves and this solution could prevent future tickets with: "OMG i made a typo in my character rename i want a free one to fix it now!"

This way if that happends they can just fix it on the spot.

Edited by Cipacadrinho
  • Cat 1

In wurm the name mean is everything,  i would not like peoples to have the ability to do it anytime they want to with some points, money spending. etc

I know we can make mistake and take a very large name or ugly name etc. 

i would say, give a 1 time ability in the first 6 month playing and all other request will stay in the GM hand review.  

after 6 month playing if you keep that name thats it.

all ugly or long name can have some charm.

For those who buy account (i dont like account buying in wurm) well just dont buy a ugly name....

Edited by heiro
  • Cat 1

23 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Ultimately rolling a new character is ten times easier than any hassle with changing a name. 

Ten times easier for who?

As a newcomer to WO, I am stuck with a name that isn't optimal, because I was so keen to get started that I was trying variations on what I wanted until something was available.  Also as a newcomer, grinding in low gear, I value every advance that I make and to tell me it is easier to scrap my character than fix its name is I think shortsighted.  In a way it misses the point of what would attract a new player like me to a persistent world with a decade of history.  Malleability and the Ikea Effect.  Like we build everything else in Wurm, we build our character.  I value it, and would value an ability to improve it when the fault is simply in its label.   It should not be a major technical challenge to change a screen-name while leaving everything else intact, histories etc can carry forward, and it wouldn't be hard limit the frequency of changes and to easily display previous monikers.  It is ironic that it is virtually impossible to change a made up name but in reality a legal name change can be as simple as "from now on, call me Roy."

I am old enough to remember "Hello, Moles...."

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TheTrickster said:

Ten times easier for who?

As a newcomer to WO, I am stuck with a name that isn't optimal, because I was so keen to get started that I was trying variations on what I wanted until something was available.  Also as a newcomer, grinding in low gear, I value every advance that I make and to tell me it is easier to scrap my character than fix its name is I think shortsighted.  In a way it misses the point of what would attract a new player like me to a persistent world with a decade of history.  Malleability and the Ikea Effect.  Like we build everything else in Wurm, we build our character.  I value it, and would value an ability to improve it when the fault is simply in its label.   It should not be a major technical challenge to change a screen-name while leaving everything else intact, histories etc can carry forward, and it wouldn't be hard limit the frequency of changes and to easily display previous monikers.  It is ironic that it is virtually impossible to change a made up name but in reality a legal name change can be as simple as "from now on, call me Roy."

I am old enough to remember "Hello, Moles...."

Sorry, I mean ten times easier to change a name and abuse the anonymity rather than "to roll a new character instead of renaming the account you've had for years" 

If only i would of known when i made character that i can only have 1 capital letter in the name. 

Some other guy has a permanent account here for name Mystrix and doesnt play the game. So i tried to make that first with failure(without knowing there was one already someone) and decided to go with second best option TheMystrix, didnt work as i thought and this looks stupid, it forced Themystrix. For me, i would pay something for a name change to get my name closer to my actual gaming name that i had for years.... Or just allow me to have TheMystrix. 

I assume deleting ancient account off the books and allowing me to rename to Mystrix doesnt fit into the plans lmao

Edited by Themystrix

5 hours ago, Shrimpiie said:

No.

So i can become a god in Wurm but i cannot rename myself to Steve?:)

Everybody meet me at the Blackmoor volcano in 4h we are eating shrimp stew tonight :)

On a serious note tho: we cannot let our fears dictate our progress and/or cause stagnation.

I think alot aloooot more people will be  happy with being able to re-name even with a high cost and a long cooldown and a review from the GM team before getting it than people being impacted in a negative way by someone re-naming themselves.

What is the actual fear here? people will hussle/trick others into trades then re-name their toon to escape the consequences?

How is that different from me stealing a horse then using a horse re-name and claim it was mine all along? The point of this is to show that a small number of people can have bad behaviour around many of the updates of a game but that did not prevent the update/improvement from being put in.

I can stub my toes to lower my stam while spear fishing to bait skill ticks while improving on long timers but i dont see the fishing update being removed because some people choose to game the system.

If the re-name is not instant (subject to GM team review and aproval) and the cd is long (make it 1 time thing/toon or 1year cd) that person can still suffer the consequences of their action regardless if they get reported after the name change because the GM team can look in the re-name list and see who that person changed into.

I just think is something that would prove to be a very popular addition to the majority of the player base and just because some will look to game it does not mean it should not be implemented because by the same logic 90% of the things in wurm could be gamed in one way or another, so lets remove those  too?

What do we end-up having then? A return to the master of them all? The originator?  THE PONG!

Edited by Cipacadrinho
  • Like 1
  • Cat 1

7 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Sorry, I mean ten times easier to change a name and abuse the anonymity rather than "to roll a new character instead of renaming the account you've had for years" 

Believe it or not, i have a solution for that too.

What if you make the cost be 3x marks of a horse rename, remove the cd but... wait for it... 1st rename is free (just the marks cost) but the next one is gonna cost 3x marks and 10% reduction of ALL of your skills (just use the jackal skill update in reverse and reduce 10% from all the skill) then the 3rd rename can be another 10% or make it a 20% then a 40% soon enough a toon reroll will be easier.

The only way they could circumvent this system is if they roll a toon just  to con people and dont care all the skills drop to 1 but then is easier  and cheaper to just roll a new toon so the rename perk will have no impact on these people.

What if this could lead to a new hardcore ironman series: we make Emoo buy nothing but name rename token with his marks for 12years then we make him use them untill ALL his skills reach 1... then we make him stream the grind back to 99:)

• Cat 1

I am really confused as to why this is not an option.  

If I can buy another named account, and no one is the wiser, whats the difference?

How can so many other titles offer this service, but not Wurm? What is unique in our situation that makes this so unfavorable?

Opposition seems to be based on the preferences of the individuals NOT wanting to change their names.  Their feelings of wanting to know who they are dealing with.  

Anonymity still exists the first time the rolled a character, and for most people, it still exists no matter how well you think you know the name on your screen.  

• Like 2
  • Cat 1

I have a toon whose name is spelled incorrectly.  It doesn't bother me too much really, he's become a figure of fun, but I can understand it would bother if it were my main or only toon.

One problem with changing the name might be in the Trade channel, because most trades are not done face to face.  A mouse-over on the toon is useful for face to face trades, but Wurm is also largely a text-based game, and there is potential for confusion over identity, miss-mailed items or possibly abuse of trust.

This should not necessarily rule out name changes however.  There is one 'game' on the internet that has solved this problem, and that's eBay.  Whilst not actually a game, it's a trading environment which relies solely on 'on-screen' communication.  It's also an environment where reputation counts for a lot, and where openness and transparency are key to safe trading.

eBay allows users to change their name once every 30 days.  For 30 days no-one else can use their name, and a 'recently changed' icon appears next to their new name.  This protects everyone - the user formerly known as X, the new user X and the customers of both.  You can also check the user's history which gives a list of all the names they've ever been known.

I am not saying Wurm should follow eBay's methods, that is entirely up to the devs - but it shows it can be done in a faceless environment where reputation has a direct bearing on user experience.

If a Wurm player changes his name, I suggest the text name should appear as NewName [OldName] for a good period of time, it does not have to be just 30 days.

Note what eBay advises potential name-changers:

"...your username represents your reputation ... Over time you can build your reputation into a valuable ... asset, so it's a good idea to choose a username you'll want to use long-term. "

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/account/changing-account-settings/changing-username

Edited by Muse
  • Like 2

your concerns are invalid, add this pronto

seriously, back that claim up with some kind of evidence.

we have alts already. it takes <5m to "dodge the name history"

Edited by Makarus
ALIGATOR EAT LARGER NUMBER
  • Cat 1

i would love this! but mainly because my name is literally Smwoodburn in game and would like to change it to what everyone calls me anyways Woody. This is my first toon i ever made so i originally thought it would be a login name not actual toon name (2 step process not 1 step) and was sadly mistaken so i just stuck with it and now im far past the point of no return as far as not throwing away all the time i put into it and skilling just because of a lack of being able to name change. i would be perfectly fine with a name such as Woody(formerly Smwoodburn) when hovering over said toon and it be a 1 time name change ability, kinda like the mirror 1 time character look ability

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Smwoodburn said:

i would love this! but mainly because my name is literally Smwoodburn in game and would like to change it to what everyone calls me anyways Woody. This is my first toon i ever made so i originally thought it would be a login name not actual toon name (2 step process not 1 step) and was sadly mistaken so i just stuck with it and now im far past the point of no return as far as not throwing away all the time i put into it and skilling just because of a lack of being able to name change. i would be perfectly fine with a name such as Woody(formerly Smwoodburn) when hovering over said toon and it be a 1 time name change ability, kinda like the mirror 1 time character look ability

Yes, that seems a familiar and not uncommon experience.  It would be great to have a character name (or call it a nickname or whatever) that is separate from the login name.

• Like 2
  • Cat 1

Well, Samool said in the roadmap:

The final thing that I want to announce today is that we're also currently working on a long desired and requested feature which is a complete account system, the main purpose of which is to consolidate character ownership into a single account, improve the security of your accounts and ease the management of them. This will also help us with adding some more features that you could manage about your characters without logging into the game, improve account recovery methods and more.
We'll reveal more details on this soon.

So fingers crossed this will include a way for people to rename their character(s).

• Like 1

Well, Samool said in the roadmap:

The final thing that I want to announce today is that we're also currently working on a long desired and requested feature which is a complete account system, the main purpose of which is to consolidate character ownership into a single account, improve the security of your accounts and ease the management of them. This will also help us with adding some more features that you could manage about your characters without logging into the game, improve account recovery methods and more.
We'll reveal more details on this soon.

So fingers crossed this will include a way for people to rename their character(s).

they would also need to keep in mind all the account people have purchased from others from players that dont even play anymore. otherwise they would lose those people more than likely. I personally dont have any purchased accounts but have a lot of friends in game that do and im sure everyone knows someone that has bought. so something to keep in mind as well

3 hours ago, Smwoodburn said:

they would also need to keep in mind all the account people have purchased from others from players that dont even play anymore. otherwise they would lose those people more than likely. I personally dont have any purchased accounts but have a lot of friends in game that do and im sure everyone knows someone that has bought. so something to keep in mind as well

I imagine they would let us create an account and then link existing characters to that said account based on a slot limit.

Key word: imagine :)

I imagine they would let us create an account and then link existing characters to that said account based on a slot limit.

Key word: imagine :)

hehe yes indeed :) im sure they care about all of their players especially the ones who fund their wallets ;) hehe

Area history when name is changed:

"Joe changed his name and is currently known as Stephen."

Player/target overlay for a year or so:

"Stephen was formerly known as Joe".

(for a pvp purposes could be also overlay over a local players tab)

And ofc name change should be payed option in the shop, with 1 year cooldown for each character.

Edited by Wilczan
  • Like 1