Sign in to follow this  
Trenix

Next update?

Wurm Unlimited will get an update with bug fixes and an integrated modloader into the client at some point soonish, but we won't be doing more content updates. 

Working on supporting the modding community will be our focus.

will that include something similar to serverpacks so content can be pushed from server to client, like textures and models?

35 minutes ago, Cuddles said:

will that include something similar to serverpacks so content can be pushed from server to client, like textures and models?

Actually no as I heard last, which makes the integrated modloader pretty much worthless.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Sklo:D said:

Actually no as I heard last, which makes the integrated modloader pretty much worthless.

I've got a few ideas, perhaps we can work together to create a secure and working model for publishing mods. I'm waiting for the update to know for sure.

One issue with mods as server packages is security. It would be safer to have server profiles in a public mod repository.

Publishing mods on the forums isn't very secure either of course.

Is the idea to just let WU die out naturally over time?  I'm not really clear why we won't be getting updates.  I don't want to threadjack, but maybe someone can send me a PM to explain what's happening?  Thanks guys

EDIT:  I do understand about WO's changes, just not understanding why WU is being dropped...or is it?  I'm confused.

Edited by Batta

@BattaRead the top most threads in the forum City Hall. It's a lot of reading, so I'll try summing things up a bit, as I understand it. It's been clearly confirmed that there are absolutely no plans on shutting WU down at all. The devs don't have time and resources to keep the WU product updated with new code. Instead they plan on helping modders develop WU, and then they will focus on the main product, which is WO. Please correct me if I'm wrong Retrograde, but as I understand it we will have very free hands to develop WU with modding as much as we like; each server will have the potential of becoming a completely new game. The next update will support loading of mods, because Ago's mod loader will be built in, so instead of patching servers and clients, mods can be installed more easily. How exactly the update will work remains to be seen, but I'm feeling quite optimistic about it, from what Samool has said :)

Edited by Tenniel
  • Like 2

modloader being part of wu and no updates will mean that the modloader itself won't get updated either, yes?

The problem with automatically downloading client mods is that you're essentially allowing some random server goblin to execute arbitrary code on your PC.  Which is a security nightmare.  There are ways to do it properly, but it's not easy.  It's bad enough when you've got some company do it (hi Steam!), but allowing some rando on the internet to do that seems like a terrible idea.

What I have in mind is a new mod repository, where modders register and connect with various trust giving sites, such as github, google, stackoverflow, etc. and submit personal information. This will give modders certain levels of trust. It will also be possible to raise trust level by being endorsed by other members, like on LinkedIn. Publishing open source projects connected to the mod repo will raise trust levels. Well, you get the picture. Players will then be able to install mods, and get a warning by the modloader if the mod is not to be trusted. Mods will then automatically be updated with the latest versions, or if you want a fixed version, there should be properties you manually can set for that.

The built in mod loader will make it easy to install mods, but then the plan is to create a mod that extends the built in mod loader and connects to the mod repository. Before the devs announced the new update, I already started on this project, but until I know how it will work with the update, I've put it on the shelf for the time being and focus on other things. However, the server browser in the client will be redesigned so as to connect with the mod repo and check what client mods are needed when logging in to a server, it will then install the mods automatically, but give warnings if the mods aren't trusted. Server hosts will be able to register their servers on the same place as the mod repo, setup which client mods are required by the server, and server hosts will also have a trust level, just like modders. This way, the server browser will show if a server isn't to be trusted.

Voting for servers will not be on a webpage, but built into the client, when you browse servers, and voting will more be a matter of endorsing the server. Servers in my opinion should not be in a competition for existing players, but make WU itself attractive to new players, and supply a great variety of beautiful and fascinating worlds, each in its own unique way.

This of course will not be done in short time, and would have to be a project where server hosts and modders contribute and cooperate. What do you think?

I admire your goals and ambition, but I suspect that if the likes of Google and Apple can't manage to run an app store without nasty malware sneaking in, something as small and volunteer-based as wurm has no chance.  I'd like to be proved wrong, though.

Yes, well, there's no such thing as a secure system, it is always a relative term. Given that java-classes always can be decompiled, any malware and viruses can always be discovered and reported. The aim isn't to create a perfectly secure system, but a good enough one, that makes installing mods much more easy and automatic, and which will make client modding as practically valuable as server modding is today.

steam workshop.

theres other games in java that use steam workshop with no malware issues. but we know wu is 

pretty much abandoned, despite promises to the contrary.

Rolf's promises about WU are thrown out the window as of recent changes whether it had to do with the new company or not, one can only speculate. In the Server Modder's discord this has been discussed about 8 different times and the story is basically they don't have the time or money to continue to work on WU and the only major changes that have been released on Wurm Online would be considered WO exclusives as rifts have been, etc. There have been promises of getting another patch out to fix multiple issues from 1.9 out since 1.9 was released, but this will be a bugfix patch and not one that should change much. Then there was a sort of final discussion about integrating the modloader into the download from steam which won't include serverpacks so you'll still need to tell your players which mods to download, how to download them, where to put them, etc. The information was provided by Retro as the messenger, and the new vision of any future releases for WU is to make modding easier for modders, but that's about it.

tl;dr: 1.9.1.5 is the end of content updates. It's not profitable for them to work on WU. No ETA on actual bug fix patch mentioned.

youre right. the thing is the solution to everything seems to be open a new server. open wu (i was against wu and commented before how bad the idea was for wo,

although as a player i love it). Now open wosteam. cant they learn from past mistakes? its just a cash bag trying to cash in on the players that leave wo for wosteam imo.

the small team excuse is old and proven to be not true because many wurm players with at least as good programming skills have offered their services.

only to be turned down. the reason is anybodies guess. also they can just take ideas from modders to make playing more enjoyable to the masses not the few,

that takes a lot of work hours out of the equation. and i keep rambling on and on but its just pissing against the wind. 

pvp was abandoned,  cauldron aka known as challenge was abandoned, wu was abandoned. whats jackals status now?

good track record for wo or wosteam.

el que mucho abarca poco aprieta. is spanish for if you try to grab too much you cant tighten your grip on anything.

enjoy the planters and the asinine sails furling mechanics wo. glad we dont have them in wu.

i find it weird they are talking about adding modloader to default wu, there seems to be no actual benefit to the players. Even with it added players still need to d/l mods and install them, if they can't manage that then having modloader already in the game is of no help. I just wonder if they are going to be adding in more than just modloader in order to restrict stuff in some way?

1 hour ago, Griffith said:

also they can just take ideas from modders to make playing more enjoyable to the masses not the few

seems to me they are pretty bad at this, for some reason they tend to keep making mistakes in their code and adding in bugs that the mods themselves didn't have but their version does  *shrug*

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Cuddles said:

i find it weird they are talking about adding modloader to default wu, there seems to be no actual benefit to the players. Even with it added players still need to d/l mods and install them, if they can't manage that then having modloader already in the game is of no help. I just wonder if they are going to be adding in more than just modloader in order to restrict stuff in some way?

I agree. At least if it included serverpacks the benefit would be to server owners not having to worry about people not seeing custom content. Just the modloader without anything is only beneficial to people that can't run patcher.bat 🤦‍♀️

But then again, this move is not meant to make the game any better - they outright stated that they want it to be inferior. It's just a farce to make us less annoyed at being lied to.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Griffith said:

enjoy the planters

Well...those I wouldn't mind if someone made a mod to bring them to WU.  🙂   It would be fun to just live entirely underground.

• Like 1

yup. bad sentence composition on my part. i was referring to the mechanics.

On 1/11/2020 at 11:01 AM, Giana said:

When the new updates will be released?

There will be no new updates. Wurm Unlimited is cancelled. Only bugfixes are promised to be released but from the current state even that looks like only WO specific bug fixes, but no WU specific bugfixes. We will see what time brings.

It has been 9 months already since 1.9.1.6 came out. As "soonish" doesn't really mean anything at all, and the only updates that will come are unspecified bug fixes (a list would be nice) and built-in Modloader, it's safe to assume that what we have now will literally be it from an official point of view.

A new update has gone out, to say that there will no longer be any updates. So in 5 years' time if WO is still going it'll be a fair bit ahead in features/mechanics than WU.

1 hour ago, Cartmann said:

A new update has gone out, to say that there will no longer be any updates. So in 5 years' time if WO is still going it'll be a fair bit ahead in features/mechanics than WU.

WO will likely be behind WU. There are a lot of modders in WU and with less risk of WO meddling in the form of an update the WU modders should likely have much more freedom to do things.

Frankly it will be interesting to see if WO is even around in 5 years. WO population is continuing to go down quickly, steam WO is now the focus and even WO hardware reliability appears to be coming into question. Several long term WU servers appear to have better uptime/reliability performance then even "paid service" WO.

It's true that it would have been nice to have the distant tree line rendering, likely the only thing I really wish we were getting.

• Like 1

Expect distant rendering for WU as soon as I get some time for it. Will be my first public mod 😛

• Like 7